Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! (1379 Views)

Pics Of The Burnt Onitsha Mosques........nothing Was Left Out Even Blocks. / I ‘ve No Regrets Losing To Buhari – Jonathan / Photo Documents : Gen Buhari Is Suffering From Prostate Cancer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by BlackPikiN(m): 5:20am On Feb 20, 2012
By Bashir Adefaka

Mentioning the name of the former Lagos State deputy governor, Chief Louisa Kofoworola Bucknor-Akerele, calls to mind, images of her running battle with her former boss, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu between 1999 and 2003. But there is more to the urbane 72-year-old former lawmaker.

Her entry into politics and the nine-vote victory that took her to the Third Republic Senate remains a dramatic pointer to her resilience. Bucknor-Akerele, besides being a former Deputy Governor, a Senator and Chieftain of the democracy pressure group, NADECO was once a journalist. She spoke to Vanguard on burning national issues. Excerpts:

HOW would you say journalism in your days and presently compared to the process of nation building?

I think certainly when you look at the struggle for democracy; you know I was then a frontline member of NADECO, at that time journalists were the people who actually fought and supported us in the struggle for the restoration of democracy.

Journalists are people of integrity: they believe in what is right and publish what they think is the truth. That used to be the attitude in our days and I don’t think it has changed now. But I would just like to advise my colleagues in the profession to continue to carry out their assignments in a way that will continue to uphold the standard of the profession in the eyes of the public and not the other way.

What could you remember about your growing up as a girl?

Well, growing up as a girl was very pleasant. It was a different Lagos from what we have now. Even right up to the 60s, it was a different Lagos. You know, that time Lagos was a much smaller community. There was not this huge influx into Lagos and so most Lagos families knew each other.

Neat and straight community

It was a very close, neat and straight community where you were not afraid of letting your child walk into another house because everybody looked out for everybody else and looked for other people’s children too. And that was because you took other people’s children in the community as your children.

When you look back to your days as deputy governor of Lagos State, what would you say are your regrets and what are your consolations?

One of my regrets is that the civil service, I’m sorry to say, which we met was not the civil service which we left behind. And if you talk to some of the civil servants there today, they would tell you that things have changed. The civil service of today has become more of service to self than being the service to the state.

What do you think is responsible and what then is the way out?

Frankly speaking I think we need some kind of moral rearmament. But it is not only in the civil service, this is something that has permeated throughout the society. We need moral rearmament. I think it was a shame that schools were taken over from the missionaries.

Bucknor-Akerele
The missionaries taught us morals. They taught us to be upright and righteous and once you take that away, it means that you have a society where everything goes and you are going to destroy the whole fabric of society. I think that is what is happening now in Nigeria. The whole fabric of society is being destroyed because it is based mainly on materialism.

You were part of the recent Pan-Yoruba Conference that took place in Chief Obafemi Awolowo’s residence in Ikenne, Ogun State. What is the follow up from the meeting?

Don’t worry, we are still working. I was part of the committee that proposed to put the conference together. I can assure you that we have made our opinion known in the right quarters and we have been continuing to do so. You know as Yorubas, we never get discouraged by anything because we don’t believe that we can be left behind. We have always been leaders in Nigeria and, of course, we can still continue to be; in education, in the political arena and so we are continuing to work as we have always done.

We believe that integrity, honesty, hard work are the main components of Yoruba life. We will continue to preach peace and to let this be seen in our leaders so that when people realise it, then they will realise that by not putting Yorubas as part of our mainstream politics and government generally, the country is lacking a lot.

Now that Yorubas complain of not being part of the mainstream political control, who is to blame?

I don’t want to put the blame anywhere but I think Yorubas too are partly to blame because, when we had the opportunity, some Yorubas – because of their personal interest – actually threw it away. Let us take the question of the Speaker, for instance; if the Yorubas had been united and had shown a united front there, I don’t think we would have lost the Speakership. But because we were disunited, we lost it and this is why we are preaching unity among the Yorubas because, they say, ‘united we stand divided we fall.’ We have seen ourselves falling because we have been divided.

But Yourubas are said to be uncaring towards thier own. The case of General Diya and Olarenwaju is an instance. Yorubas have been quiet on their issue whereas the North is fighting for Major Mustapha?

First of all, I think it will be completely wrong to compare Diya, Olanrewaju and co with that of Al-Mustapha. Al-Mustapha committed a criminal offence and he was condemned by a court of law according to the law of the nation. If some people rightly or wrongly believe that he was not condemned justifiably, Al-Mustapha has the right of appeal under the law.

I would say that for anybody to be rising up on behalf of Al-Mustapha, it would probably be they are asking for the death penalty to be commuted to life imprisonment. Because I cannot imagine that anybody in his right mind will be condoning somebody who has been condemned for murder that is killing another human being.

Let us put that aside. As for the issue of whether Yorubas don’t fight for their own sons, you saw the fight Yorubas put up on the mandate of MKO Abiola. I don’t believe that Yorubas are not fighting for Genaral Diya, Major General Olanrewaju and others.

Pages of newspapers

May be it is because we have not come out on the pages of the newspapers, everything has been done, like you said, it’s only waiting for gazetting or something. It is when the time is too long and it is not gazetted, by then you will find that Yorubas will start speaking up that this is injustice.

You have been quiet since after your failed gubernatorial quest in 2007? What is really happening?
Well, my politics right now is to put the PDP on its firm footing so that we can fight successfully at the next (2015) election. This is what we are trying to do; to make sure that PDP shows a solid united front. We want to put forward our first eleven so that they will know that PDP is firmly on the ground and has got substantial people in it.

Do you think the people of Lagos State are willing to vote your party into power in 2015? Is your party making any effort to woo the people?

The mood is, for now, tilted towards PDP because the people actually are looking for change. On your second question; well, I think, already, there is a reconciliation committee in place headed by Ambassador Senator Musiliu Obanikoro. They have been at work, they have been trying to reconcile various groups and we, as leaders, have been trying to reconcile people so that they can work together.

I think for too long some people have seen PDP (in Lagos State) as personal property and not as a political party that belongs to all the members. We are trying to change that outlook and make people know that PDP is a political party that belongs to all its members and that we should be open to anybody and everybody who wants to be a member and is ready to work for the success of the party.

Your Excellency, what do yu want Lagosians to look out for in a PDP’s Lagos State government, if elected to power in 2015?

As you know, Lagos is a Centre of Excellence. We want to put forward somebody who will perform excellently. So we want to make sure this time that we put somebody forward who can be reckoned with, who will perform to show that Lagos State is truly the Centre of Excellence and who will show good example to other states.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/02/nigeria-is-suffering-cos-yorubas-ve-been-left-out-bucknor-akerele/
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Beaf: 6:11am On Feb 20, 2012
I'm really impressed with the sound of this woman. In a few short words, you can know a person you can deal with, that they've got your back come rain or shine. Integrity.

One of my regrets is that the civil service, I’m sorry to say, which we met was not the civil service which we left behind. And if you talk to some of the civil servants there today, they would tell you that things have changed. The civil service of today has become more of service to self than being the service to the state.

Yet, she was Deputy Governor? Not everyone is "man" enough to tell hard truths. Again, integrity.

. . .Unlike the frog-like, drug pushing, certificate forging thief called Tinubu who was her boss.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by DuduNegro: 6:21am On Feb 20, 2012
Eko for show! grin
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Onlytruth(m): 7:26am On Feb 20, 2012
Nobody left you out, you just have to learn how to vote for a non-Yoruba first.
This is Political Science 101.

You don't vote for others, others will not vote for you.
Even Jona is trying sef. cool
Aboki or another less charitable groups would have tossed y'all under the bus. cheesy
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Onlytruth(m): 7:29am On Feb 20, 2012
BTW Nigeria does not miss you in any way. If anything Nigeria may even be suffering because of the role you played before.
Weren't you there from 1999 to 2007?
What happened?
What did you achieve?
Mscheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew! sad
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by DuduNegro: 7:39am On Feb 20, 2012
my friend SHUT UP! angry
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by DuduNegro: 7:41am On Feb 20, 2012
Is the moderator here? OAM4J lock this post up!
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by sheyguy: 7:45am On Feb 20, 2012
Onlytruth, what exactly are you talking about?
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Afam4eva(m): 7:58am On Feb 20, 2012
Onlytruth is right. What did Obasanjo do in his 8 years as president of Nigeria. He blew up 8 years and somebody is teeling me that Nigeria is suffering because of Yoruba. Pls can someone tell this woman to shut it already.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Demdem(m): 8:11am On Feb 20, 2012
It hurts me when I hear peeps lamenting about not being in mainstream politics. Is this woman sane at all? Those in mainstream politics, how has it better their living standard? I know of no yoruba complaining except her pdp likes who feels cut off from the central govt. She has expired. She needs to retire and enjoy her grandchildren.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by sheyguy: 8:36am On Feb 20, 2012
@Afam4eva,
He gave the ND 13%, NDDC.
He opened up the Nigerian army for every ethnic group.
He even tried to ban importation of certain goods to stimulate our local industry.
Also don't forget GSM took off under his regime.
Even our almighty subsidy never sprung out of control even though there was increase in fuel usage and international. crude prices.
To be honest Obasanjo did not perform badly. Compared to other leaders we have had.
Though, i don't agree Nigeria is suffering because of any Yoruba man who is not in power. If they look closely enough then u realize the yorubas have all they need to grow, the same goes for every ethnic group.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by asorocker: 10:13am On Feb 20, 2012
The SW want to sow somewhere and reap elsewhere , vote for another party ACN and rule with PDP, what is happening to the SW is what happens to peopl who sit on the fence. guess what ? they remain there on the fence. if the SW does not change their pattern of Amala politics (politics of Betrayal) they will move from Nigeria's political wilderness to Nigeria's political dungeon where they were till CKNzeogwu rescued them .
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Afam4eva(m): 10:17am On Feb 20, 2012
sheyguy:

@Afam4eva,
He gave the ND 13%, NDDC.
He opened up the Nigerian army for every ethnic group.
He even tried to ban importation of certain goods to stimulate our local industry.
Also don't forget GSM took off under his regime.
Even our almighty subsidy never sprung out of control even though there was increase in fuel usage and international. crude prices.
To be honest Obasanjo did not perform badly. Compared to other leaders we have had.
Though, i don't agree Nigeria is suffering because of any Yoruba man who is not in power. If they look closely enough then u realize the yorubas have all they need to grow, the same goes for every ethnic group.

Did the ND ask for 13%? They'r asking for 25 to 50% derivation or resource control.

He tried to stop the importation of goods to push Dangote's business interest.

I guess h invented GSM. Ghana had been using GSM years before Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by stormm: 10:20am On Feb 20, 2012
Irrelevant mama don broke grin grin grin I laff in NADECO ooooo

PDP go 'capture' Lagos cheesy cheesy cheesy Story story
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Demdem(m): 10:29am On Feb 20, 2012
afam4eva:

Did the ND ask for 13%? They'r asking for 25 to 50% derivation or resource control.

He tried to stop the importation of goods to push Dangote's business interest.

I guess h invented GSM. Ghana had been using GSM years before Nigeria.

I am for 100% resource control. Let them Av their oil make we hear word abegii. However seeing what these govs are doing with the 13% unchallenged, I think obj did the right thing. Justify the little u are being given and demand for more.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Afam4eva(m): 10:33am On Feb 20, 2012
Demdem:

I am for 100% resource control. Let them Av their oil make we hear word abegii. However seeing what these govs are doing with the 13% unchallenged, I think obj did the right thing. Justify the little u are being given and demand for more.

Is the hands of the federal clean? Just lik the ND governors the FG is not pure. They should just give them 100% resource control, thn it should be left with the people of the ND to choose the right people to manage the resources.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Demdem(m): 10:38am On Feb 20, 2012
afam4eva:

Is the hands of the federal clean? Just lik the ND governors the FG is not pure. They should just give them 100% resource control, thn it should be left with the people of the ND to choose the right people to manage the resources.

Of cos the fg has never been clean. Choppings exists there and will definately multiply when all these money get scattered in the states. I prefer this lesser evil.
Besides, na ur man dey there now. Ask him to commence the division process and let each control its resources.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Afam4eva(m): 10:39am On Feb 20, 2012
Demdem:

Of cos the fg has never been clean. Choppings exists there and will definately multiply when all these money get scattered in the states. I prefer this lesser evil.
Besides, na ur man dey there now. Ask him to commence the division process and let each control its resources.

I'm not from the Niger Delta oo. He's not my man.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Demdem(m): 10:45am On Feb 20, 2012
afam4eva:

I'm not from the Niger Delta oo. He's not my man.
No yawa, besides who want to associate himself with a failure.
It will be morally wrong for the nd region to have 100% resource control and other regions shouldn't. Let everyone have full control of her resources. Shikena.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by OneNaira6: 11:03am On Feb 20, 2012
Nobody left Yoruba out, Yoruba put themselves in the mess they are in. Shikena.
sadly, Yoruba's aren't the only people that did this. SS, SW, MB, and to some tiny extent SE each have a hand in the problem they put themselves in.

I support the critique she gave of her people with an open mind and an open heart but don't accuse others for your own people's mistake.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Yeske2(m): 12:34pm On Feb 20, 2012
She's just a broke -a.s/s loud mouthed witch seeking for attention
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by BlackPikiN(m): 4:14am On Feb 21, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Is the moderator here? OAM4J lock this post up!

Lock up what?
Cant Akerele speak for the Yorubas again without guys like you harrasing her.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by Nobody: 9:48am On Feb 21, 2012
Someone needs to slap that byatch.

Biatch please!
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by chino24: 10:54am On Feb 21, 2012
Usual yorooba madness and incest mentality grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by BlackPikiN(m): 2:07am On Feb 23, 2012
pDude:

Someone needs to slap that byatch.

Biatch please!

Pls that is someone's mama.

Take it easy on the abuse.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by oduasolja: 2:19am On Feb 23, 2012
Demdem:

abi . as soon as the agreement is signed they should pack their bags and move back to their swamp.

pack their bags ontop head and move to the swamps of delta and enjoy 100 percent.
Re: Nigeria Is Suffering ‘cos Yorubas ‘ Ve Been Left Out – Bucknor-akerele! by igboboy1(m): 6:08am On Feb 23, 2012
[size=14pt] yoruba kwenu Ronu

it is well with y'all

[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Deported 28 South Africans Who Arrived In Lagos / Goans Angry, "Say No To Nigerians" / This Is How Powerful Ethnicity Is.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.