Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,730 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu (7858 Views)

3 Things I’ll Do For Troubled North East — BUHARI / Gov. Aliyu Of Niger State Loses Senate Election / We Killed Over 300 Boko Haram Fighters, Says Niger Defence Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by Nobody: 6:43am On Feb 20, 2012
It is hypothetical why people especially haters always say the truth when it no longer matters.

This is Gov. Aliyu taking a position he would not never take had it been Odumegwu was still alive.

Niger State governor Dr. Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu yesterday rose in defence of the late Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu’s action to take arms against the country, saying ‘’he was greatly misunderstood’’.

Defending the circumstances that forced Ojukwu to go into the 30 month civil war, Aliyu said he would have done same if he found himself in similar situation.

The Governor stated this at Zungeru in Wushishi local government area of the state during the kick-off of the funeral rites of the late Biafran leader.

"Many saw him as controversial, a war lord and a rebel whatever we might think of him, we must appreciate the issue of the time and majority of the people concluded he was forced by circumstances to take up arms against the country he loved and swore to defend.

"I Dr. Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu from my studies know that, I will take up arms to defend my people if confronted with similar circumstances that Ojukwu found himself that time,’’ Aliyu stated.

Eulogising the late Eze-Igbo-gburugburu, the governor said that despite his privileged and advantageous background, Ojukwu ‘’choose to remain very humble, disciplined and devoting his early and even later years to the struggle for the emancipation of the under-privileged.’’

On national unity, Aliyu said that Nigerians should come to terms with the reality of the difficulties and challenges of national building and not to engage in anything that will jeopardise the unity of the country at the slightest opportunity.

According to him, "We must stay here together to fight for our rights because 52 years after independence we should not be seen to be threatening the breaking up of the country at the slightest challenges".

Earlier, the Chairman of South-Eastern Governors Forum, Mr. Peter Obi said, the Igbos are ready to continue with the Nigerian project if only they will be given their dues in the country and stop being treated as second class citizen of the country.

"Nobody can drive the Igbos away from Nigeria because we are the true Nigerian that promotes national integration and developments.

"We are committed to building a better Nigeria but the only thing we demand is equality in the union that is what Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu fought for all through his life,’’ the governor maintained.

Obi who is the governor of Anambra State then enjoined Igbos living in any part of the country to continue to co-exist peacefully with their host communities, assuring that the Igbo nation will continue to promote the unity of the country.

Commending Niger State government for putting together the ‘Icho Nmadu’ funeral rite, Abia state Governor, Theodore Orji stated that burial rite in Zungeru, the birth place of the late sage was a befitting tribute to a man who rose up to the be counted when it mattered most in the history of the Igbo nationality in Nigeria.

"We salute Niger state for protecting two illustrious Igbo sons; Zik and Ojukwu especially, Dim, the man who taught us how to fight for our rights".

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/37215-civil-war-ojukwu-defended-his-people.html
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by chyed: 6:52am On Feb 20, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin

It is actually funny why fools now recognized the magnanimity of the stupidity their fathers exhibited during the civil war. Ojukwu was never a secessionist, as history has shown through today, he was dragged into war by those brainwashed aboki mugus and illiterate.

Now this Middle-Belter is now showing sign of reasoning just because those Hausa-Fulani  have started killing your asses after using you guys as mercenaries during the war.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by Afam4eva(m): 6:54am On Feb 20, 2012
It's a little too late for confessions.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by hercules07: 7:00am On Feb 20, 2012
It is called playing to the gallery.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by Nobody: 7:06am On Feb 20, 2012
Why did his death opened up most peoples' eyes? Have they been hallucinating for the last 42 years
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by chyed: 7:08am On Feb 20, 2012
Aliyu is just Fighting for Middle Belt recognition as a geopolitical zone . This is his strategy to gain South-East support.

Those fools no longer trust the Hausa-Fulani
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by Geomac: 10:05am On Feb 20, 2012
chyed:

Aliyu is just Fighting for Middle Belt recognition as a geopolitical zone . This is his strategy to gain South-East support.

Those fools no longer trust the Hausa-Fulani

Gov. Aliyu Babangida (Talba of Minna) is Hausa.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by ektbear: 10:09am On Feb 20, 2012
Are you sure he is hausa?

Anyway, he is just playing politics
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by Afam4eva(m): 10:12am On Feb 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

He's not hausa. I think he's gwari.

ekt_bear:

Maybe. But we don't know that for sure.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by Geomac: 10:29am On Feb 20, 2012
I am in Minna now, and i can tell you that he is Hausa. We have Gwari (Gbagyi), Nupe and Hausa in Niger State.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by tpia5: 10:32am On Feb 20, 2012
seriously, the "Nupe Igbo" seem to be a sort of powerhouse in nigeria.

at least they once were.

so many big names among the igbo, who were from niger state.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by Afam4eva(m): 10:33am On Feb 20, 2012
Which one be "Nupe Igbo"?
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by naijaking1: 10:35am On Feb 20, 2012
afam4eva:

It's a little too late for confessions.

Truth doesn't go stale.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by hakanai(m): 10:52am On Feb 20, 2012
Atleast from the response, someone like Gov. Aliyu can clearly see the reasoning of the Igbo bunch!!! That talk is meant to recognize a dead mans past life.You folks wouldn't expect him to say things negative about Ojukwu now!!!Think guys! its a compliment meant to allow the dead rest and if only you knew better it is totally wrong to talk ill of the dead.Otherwise you know that Biafran man rarely deserves any compliment.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by OneNaira6: 11:11am On Feb 20, 2012
^^^ winkIf you say so haka_nai

@OP
Who cares what he says. If he want agree with ojukwu, if him want no gree with ojukwu. It does not matter imo

Tpia
Which one be Nupe Igbo.
Are we creating new tribes in Nigeria now? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by Edzy: 11:19am On Feb 20, 2012
if you believe this man',you will believe anything.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by baslone: 11:22am On Feb 20, 2012
It's called hypocrisy!!
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by manchy7531: 12:25pm On Feb 20, 2012
BTW why did Gerry Gana went on his kneels and bow down for a turban wearing Fulani man( maybe he is an emir am not sure) but it is absurd.Mehn!!!! these people are really slaves to the Hausa/Fulani.it annoying and the need liberation.no wonder their sudden desperation for alliance with the Southern Christian powers house(Igbos) for future protection.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by manchy7531: 12:31pm On Feb 20, 2012
BTW why did Gerry Gana went on his kneels and bow down for a turban wearing Fulani man( maybe he is an emir am not sure) but it is absurd.Mehn!!!! these people are really slaves to the Hausa/Fulani.its annoying and they need liberation.no wonder their sudden desperation for alliance  with the Southern Christian powers house(Igbos) for future protection.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by ekwynwa: 1:17pm On Feb 20, 2012
haka_nai:

Atleast from the response, someone like Gov. Aliyu can clearly see the reasoning of the Igbo bunch!!! That talk is meant to recognize a dead mans past life.You folks wouldn't expect him to say things negative about Ojukwu now!!!Think guys! its a compliment meant to allow the dead rest and if only you knew better it is totally wrong to talk ill of the dead.Otherwise you know that Biafran man rarely deserves any compliment.

you need  some time out to cool off
gov. Aliyu i know is too savvy to play to the gallery
ve you ever wondered why he was made the Chairman of Northern governors forum

baslone:

It's called hypocrisy!!

search for another adj to qualify the person of Talba 
this eloquent enigma takes no prisoners ask his close associates
what you see is what you get, there is no double side to him

ekt_bear:

he is a complete Hausa man
he doesn't need ojukwu's burial to play politics
he is a master player and he knows how to play the political chess game
Ask  IBB how he was squarely  out played by this one time perm sec.

Edzy:

if you believe this man',you will believe anything.

you can believe whatever that makes you happy
but Gov Aliyu ve said it all
Ojukwu is a HERO
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by BlackPikiN(m): 2:06pm On Feb 20, 2012
tpia@:

seriously, the "Nupe Igbo" seem to be a sort of powerhouse in nigeria.

at least they once were.

so many big names among the igbo, who were from niger state.

Should we create a thread for this so you could explain.
Which one is "Nupe Igbo". Sincere question.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by Dainfamous: 2:07pm On Feb 20, 2012
Sorry it is too late,ikemba emeka saw it longer than anybody in Nigeria but he was labelled all sort of names,but lookin at the situation in northern Nigeria his vision still stand,
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by Ndata(m): 2:15pm On Feb 20, 2012
I want to find out if its just coincidence that both Ojukwu and Zik were born in Zungeru,Niger State
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by cdoffx(m): 2:28pm On Feb 20, 2012
if only we can put sentiment aside whenever we're facing an issue and be objective as much as possible Nigeria will progress faster
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by DRANOEL(m): 2:53pm On Feb 20, 2012
just because abacha created geo political zones and mumbled certain people together doesn't make them one.
during the era of js tarka's umbc niger wasn't considered a part of the middle belt! people started calling niger middle belt after abacha's 1995 creation of north central!

gov. aliyu muazu is hausa. same with ibb and abdulsalam.
most nigerians (including media houses) always make the mistake of thinking once you are from niger you are either nupe or gwari!
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by Okijajuju1(m): 2:56pm On Feb 20, 2012
"Many saw him as controversial, a war lord and a rebel whatever we might think of him, we must appreciate the issue of the time and majority of the people concluded he was forced by circumstances to take up arms against the country he loved and swore to defend.

"I Dr. Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu from my studies know that, I will take up arms to defend my people if confronted with similar circumstances that Ojukwu found himself that time,’’ Aliyu stated.

AND

On national unity, Aliyu said that Nigerians should come to terms with the reality of the difficulties and challenges of national building and not to engage in anything that will jeopardise the unity of the country at the slightest opportunity.

According to him, "We must stay here together to fight for our rights because 52 years after independence we should not be seen to be threatening the breaking up of the country at the slightest challenges".

im lost.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by SkyRider1(m): 2:56pm On Feb 20, 2012
Ndata:

I want to find out if its just coincidence that both Ojukwu and Zik were born in Zungeru,Niger State

This vindicates tpia

NLders, there's no need playing to the Gallery. Gov Aliyu is entitled to his opinion.

The truth still remains, Ojukwu is an Honorable Man. Hence Aliyu Knows the truth and is proclaiming it to the entire universe.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by BlackPikiN(m): 3:12pm On Feb 20, 2012
What was in Zungeru?

Azikiwe(1904) and Ojukwu(1933).

So it means there were Igbo people in Zungeru before 1904?
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by aribisala0(m): 3:20pm On Feb 20, 2012
I cannot agree with Aliyu.

Ojukwu was a soldier not a politician.

From all accounts he was well trained as a soldier.
He ought to have known the likelihood of achieving military success which from all indications was ZERO!.

The issue(from a military perspective) is a pragmatic one not a moral one. In other words not was there a justification for his action

BUT

Quite simply;

WHAT WAS THE MOST LIKELY OUTCOME,MILITARILY?

Was it a good military decision?

That is the most important question that dispassionate minds must consider?

Right now it would appear most people remain in denial about the obvious answer to this and seek to browbeat or bully those who raise inconvenient questions .

Aliyu would be right if his statement was conditional on a realistic probability of success.

In this case there was NO chance of success given the disposition of the British and in that respect it was  a very costly blunder. In fairness to the man,Ojukwu, he had to make a decision quickly but while he has,quite publicly,decried the absence of leadership/guidance from those whom he felt ought to have provided it,it appears he chose to ignore the advise of naysayers(there were some among his people) to his chosen course.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by steeviee(m): 3:28pm On Feb 20, 2012
I laugh in Ijaw grin when i see all these elementary bigots on NL struggling to discredit a person of OJUKWU. All what he faught for are now being highlighted by other geo-political regions calling for SNC. With ease OJUKWU Will slide into eternal HERO in peoples' minds.
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by gregg2: 3:31pm On Feb 20, 2012
Aliyu is a politrickcian
Re: I’ll Do Same If In Ojukwu's Position, Says Niger State Gov Aliyu by mbulela: 3:33pm On Feb 20, 2012
Aliyu Babangida is an attention seeking LovePeddler.
I wonder why any one takes him serious.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Borno To Pay Parents Who Send Their Children To School / Court Shifts Re-Arraignment Of Orji Uzor Kalu To June 7 / Prof. Niyi Osundare On Religion And Politics In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.