Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Fastest Broadband In The Uk - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Fastest Broadband In The Uk (1796 Views)

Why Can't This Be Done To Insure Cheap Broadband In Nigeria / Broadband In Ota Ogun State / Broadband Internet Services in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fastest Broadband In The Uk by sbucareer(f): 11:13pm On Mar 20, 2006

I have just upgraded my home broadband connection from AOL on 2MB  to Be on 24MB. It is the fastest home broadband in the UK I know of. The good thing is that I pay £24.99 per month with AOL just for 2MB and now I can pay the same for a much faster download and upload for just £24.

Their download speed is 24MB and upload is 1.3MB.  You have to check if you are nearer to their exchange server, people that leave in London will benefit mostly. Even if you leave outside the exchange server, you could still get reasonable amount of bandwidth compare to AOL, Bulldog etc.

I am posting this for recommendation, if I recommend you to Be we both get one month free connection. The more friends you recommend the more you surf for free. Infact if you recommend 12 friends and they sign up you get the whole year free. So Londoners and UK in general let surf the fastest internet at London for free.

To find out more visit Be
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by Hunter(m): 11:40pm On Mar 21, 2006
Shouldn't that read fastest residential connection cheesy

ADSL2+ I'm guessing (max of 24mpbs depending your distance from the exchange)
My ISP announced new plans that it costs an extra $10 to go to 20mbit (from 10mbit) but its probably not worth it
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by sbucareer(f): 11:55pm On Mar 21, 2006

I emailed them yesterday and give them my home BT phone number and postcode, they replied me that the distance from my home to their nearest exchange is 1415m, I don't know if this is meters or miles but according to their estimation I can get 15-17 Meg and 1.2 Meg upload and that it is all theoretical that I can get even more. But for whatever it is still better to AOL on 2 meg for £24.99 per month.

Whether it is home or residentail, the speed is mind blowing. Most internet cafe here in London still runs on BT broadband on 10 meg. Some Nigerians own Internet cafe I know runs on 2 meg.

If I can get 1Gb bandwidth on home connection I would be the first to subscribe
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by Hunter(m): 1:37pm On Mar 22, 2006
Here's a graph made by a local telco that should give you an idea of the different speeds associated with the different technologies and the attenuation after a certain distance.

Don't worry about "telstra" there just one of there competitors :-)

http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/index.htm
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by ShadowSpar: 2:21am On Apr 10, 2006
i was wonderin if these "BE" broadband service are any good with xbox live becuase im with telewest 10mb 384kb upload and i need both to be high and not jus one so i was wonderin if i would actuely be getting the 1.3 or 1.4 upload speed because it says "up to" and not u will be gttin this speed.
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by badboy56: 2:30am On Apr 10, 2006
It's not about how fast the connection is, what you need to take into consideration is customer service, support charges, and capping. The best place to find out about Be is www.adslguide.org, best ISP information in the UK. When I lived in the UK I used this this site to choose my internet provider.
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by ShadowSpar: 2:47am On Apr 10, 2006
that gives me know help at all because i dont want to know about relieablitily and stuff i want to know if ill be able to host a good server on xbox live on what ever game and be able to download data in seconds
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by ShadowSpar: 2:48am On Apr 10, 2006
if they give me a good service on all that then there good and that includes download movies on pc fast and hosting good on xbox 360 .because on the guide site it says blueyonder is the best on all but that is not the case
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by sbucareer(f): 9:23am On Apr 10, 2006

To test your ASDL connection visit ADL Test

Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by ShadowSpar: 1:45pm On Apr 10, 2006
i tested ut and its fast as a bitch but still xbox live is givin me a problem and blueyonder dont have an xbox live support so there not helpig verymuch
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by sbucareer(f): 2:04pm On Apr 10, 2006

ShadowSpar, I never understood your post particularly xbox issues, what is it all about?

Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by ShadowSpar: 2:07pm On Apr 10, 2006
when i host a room and people search for it for some reason they cant see it but my freidn has a craper connection but with telewest in birmingham but loads of people join his and ive got like 180more kb then he does or something on uploads speed.hes 2mb 256k im 10mb 384kb
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by sbucareer(f): 2:20pm On Apr 10, 2006

ShadowSpar:
when i host a room and people search for it for some reason they can't see it but my freidn has a craper connection but with telewest in birmingham but loads of people join his and ive got like 180more kb then he does or something on uploads speed.hes 2mb 256k im 10mb 384kb

Which room are you referring to? Do you want to host a game server? Which game server are you using? Are you using PPPoA or PPPoE? Which router are you using? Upstream is always smaller to Downstream, so you maybe referring to 384Kb/10Mb and your friends connection as 256Kb/2Mb.

I have not yet understand your post very well. Please shine some light on it so I could help if I can. Some time your distant to your ISP exchanger server may cause attenuation problem and ISP has reported that BT (British Telecom) are still using old copper wires that is why the slow down in speed. New companies are not trying a new technology called ADSL 24+, it is a way to push digital data through BT copper wire at a more faster rate with minimum attenuation distance.

Try be for 24Meg, call them first and give them your BT phone number and postcode they would tell you how far you are to the nearest exchange and the rate you would get if you sign up. 

They are the only foreign company that I know that is trying out the new technology ADSL 24+.

Reference
=================

1. Foldoc the online computer dictionary
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by doshbass(m): 2:35pm On Apr 10, 2006
@Sbucareer

I think i might be interested in this be thing if it for real. you know most them say they give up to 24mb and you'll end up with 2.2mb. I am Currently on BTYahoo
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by ShadowSpar: 2:39pm On Apr 10, 2006
telewest doesnt use bt lines its cable and i have no idea where the exchange is since i cant find it anywere on the net.and BE uses the same system as aol with the filter and usb.usb slows internet compared to ethernet cables.and yes game servers im tryin to host not too sure bout the ppo stuff though.from my past experince with wannadoo and aol the dsl thing is very rubbish, since i couldnt get online with aol for xbox live and wannadoo was just not working at all and the whole 3 weeks wait thing is not what im willing to wait for. a couple of hours is more like it cable was all done within minutes but still not what it should be i just need som advice on how to solve problem or something lol
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by sbucareer(f): 2:42pm On Apr 10, 2006

Call them first, and make sure you know what to expect. Even you can email then from their website. The first time I switched to them from AOL on 2Meg, which was 128Kb/2Meg to be, I was only getting 1.2Meg/6.1Meg I complained and complained. I think the customer service girl I usually speak with would have been tired with me. After two weeks on them I got 1.3/17Meg, which was reassuring and sometimes I get 20Meg downstream.

But lets face it you don't need 24Meg to search google and read emails. 512Kb should be enough for people in that line. But if you host a web server, email server, and application server like me I need all the 24Meg and even more.

My internet access is reasonably fast now I can fell it and my download is good. I download in excess of 6Gb in just 10 minutes. It is very good and rewording for me.

Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by ShadowSpar: 2:43pm On Apr 10, 2006
and no router is bein used its an ethernet switch
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by ShadowSpar: 2:46pm On Apr 10, 2006
i see your way more advance hosting servers on pc and stuff but im guessing you dont have an xbox 360 do u ? lol
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by sbucareer(f): 2:49pm On Apr 10, 2006

PPPoE is Point to Point Protocol Over Ethernet or ASDL for PPPoA.  Ethernet is for networking. RJ11, which is the PPPoA is not really my ideal network communication point.

I am finishing from here and Iam going to my other work. I will reply as soon as I get home at 11pm. Have a good day.

Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by ShadowSpar: 12:28am On Apr 11, 2006
i have just played on xbox live and done a direct connection and still got lag only hosting a 11 man game server i mean come on, 384 should be able to at least hold that.called telewest too and they reset freqauncy or something off modem but then i asked wether this would effect xbox live and he said no.so there me thinkin he fixed the modem signal so it would be refreshed and stuff but it only worked for pc and with pc conncetion i had no problems anyway.
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by sbucareer(f): 8:05am On Apr 11, 2006

I see what you are saying now. Sometimes it is not the speed that matters in TCP/IP gaming. When you are hosting a game select from the continent you are in and if possible select from you country. Latency plays an important role in TCP/IP gaming.

Although, the other peoples connection to your XBOX 360 matters as well. If they have crappy connection, pinging your xbox will curse the IP to drop packets especially if you are paying a powerful graphics game normally associated with xbox consoles as their are the best console in the market place now.

Having a powerful ADSL connection helps, my recommendation to game enthusiast is to find a good ISP that is rolling out ADSL 24+. It is a new technology that allows them to push 24Meg downstream through a copper wire to your house using BT existing connection.

Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by ShadowSpar: 2:55pm On Apr 11, 2006
but i had that kinda dsl stuff before and u cant do a direct connectin because of the usb modem and the fact the use rj45 and no ethernet cables so its has to run through pc then router then to xbox 360 unless its changed since i last had a dsl connection.BE use speed touch modem too same as wannadoo isnt that bad?
Re: Fastest Broadband In The Uk by New(m): 4:56pm On Apr 25, 2006
shadowspar,

Re: telewest doesnt use bt lines its cable and i have no idea where the exchange is since i can't find it anywere on the net.and BE uses the same system as aol with the filter and usb.usb slows internet compared to ethernet cables.and yes game servers im tryin to host not too sure bout the ppo stuff though.from my past experince with wannadoo and aol the dsl thing is very rubbish, since i couldnt get online with aol for xbox live and wannadoo was just not working at all and the whole 3 weeks wait thing is not what im willing to wait for. a couple of hours is more like it cable was all done within minutes but still not what it should be i just need som advice on how to solve problem or something lol.

About 95% of the comms exchanges in the UK are still being run by Bt

(1) (Reply)

How True Is This?: Free Calls On Facebook / Internet Hotspot Software - Start Giving Ticket To Laptop User In Ur Cafe Etc / Usb Led Light For Ur Laptop And Powerbank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.