Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,789 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees (7636 Views)

LAUTECH Shut Down As Students Protest Robbery Attacks (photos) / Fresh IMSU Graduate Dead As Students Poured Dirty Water On Him! [PHOTO] / Strike Looms At LASU Over Fee Hike, Promotion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by luvola(m): 2:07am On Feb 21, 2012
Students of Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti (EKSU) are set for a showdown with the authorities of the institution, following the over 100 per cent hike in the fees payable by the students of the institution.

Nigerian Tribune gathered from returning students of the institution, at the weekend, that the fees, which peaked at N191,000 per session, were not acceptable to them as, according to them, “it meant that the poor cannot study in the state university any longer.”

Many of the EKSU students enquired from the Nigerian Tribune in Ado Ekiti, at the weekend, if the fees published via a paid advertisement and signed by the Registrar of the university, Dr Omojola Awosusi, was “true and real.”

The new fees regime as advertised by the university showed that it range from N93,000 to N191,500 depending on the course as against the N50,000 it was pegged at by Governor Kayode Fayemi when he took over government in October 2010.

For instance, new fees introduced in the institution’s Faculty of Engineering along with the N50,000 tuition fee, are “Registration, Examination, N2,500; Library N1,500; Sports N5,000; Health Centre N7,500; GST N1,500; ID card N1,500; Caution fees N2,500; Verification N2500; Matriculation N2,000; Convocation N2,000.

Others are IT supervision N10,000; M.I.SN 2,000, Laboratory Workshop N5,000; Professional fee N10,000; Equipment N5,000; Faculty/Departmental due N10,000; and Handbook N1,000, making the total sum payable in the faculty N122,000.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/36332-crisis-looms-at-eksu-as-students-decry-hike-in-school-fees

Mod move to front. I have already warned that  lasu fee hike by 1000percent if implemented will spell a doom for the
nig students.
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by Coefficient(m): 5:54pm On Feb 21, 2012
First, twas d name change to EKSU (crazie name) Nw its hike in fees, na wa 4 dis Fayemi led administration. When wl education be sane in Ekiti?
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by lifestyle1(m): 5:58pm On Feb 21, 2012
ekiti - fountain of knowledge! undecided
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by sammirano: 6:00pm On Feb 21, 2012
Ekiti state as a whole has alot of problems.
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by bulksms247(m): 6:02pm On Feb 21, 2012
EKSU, hmmm I nearly called it EKWENSU.

Where is our governemt taking education to? They are fufuiling stupid Ohakims word that education is for the Rich and not the poor. Dear Lord In Heaven intervene for your children and let all the bad politicians in Nigeria be destroyed In Jesus Name, Amen
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by adino(m): 6:16pm On Feb 21, 2012
UP ACN, UP ACN, UP ACN. EKITI PEOPLE MUST PAY THAT FEE.
OSUN UNI. FEES INCREASED
EDO FEE INCREASE
LAGOS THE SAME STORY
EKITI SAME STORY
OGUN TO FOLLOW SOON.
I LAUGH IN HYPOCRISY,.
smiley smiley smiley
USELESSS PARTY.
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by aglomar: 6:17pm On Feb 21, 2012
Toying with destinies! I think it's better for the students to buy okada bikes with their school fees than graduate n remain jobless
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by doctokwus: 6:18pm On Feb 21, 2012
Old outdated tactics bein employed by Fayemi:he will later make a state broadcast,revising down d fees and some will den hail him as d greatest messiah Ekiti has ever seen.Dumb govt,dumb people
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by Sendybaba(m): 6:25pm On Feb 21, 2012
adino:

UP ACN, UP ACN, UP ACN. EKITI PEOPLE MUST PAY THAT FEE.
OSUN UNI. FEES INCREASED
EDO FEE INCREASE
LAGOS THE SAME STORY
EKITI SAME STORY
OGUN TO FOLLOW SOON.
I LAUGH IN HYPOCRISY,.
smiley smiley smiley
USELESSS PARTY.
osun state univ. Sch feez waz btw 162,500 and 192,500, b4 aregbesola came in2 office, he then reduced it 2 100k
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by jedisco(m): 6:33pm On Feb 21, 2012
Is this how ACN wants to overthrow PDP?
Very soon somebody will come here and paint PDP as Nigerias only problem and ACN as our saviour and saint

Like I said on another thread I see PDP taking some states from ACN at the next elections
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by Afam4eva(m): 6:53pm On Feb 21, 2012
ACN has proven times without number that it's a progressive party. Age let the school fees keep progressing while the standard retrogresses. Good Job ACN.
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by GboyegaD(m): 7:00pm On Feb 21, 2012
So amusing how our tertiary institutions are being changed from centers of learning to business ventures. They keep increasing tuition with no improvement of quality in what they deliver (lectures and graduates) and infrastructures. Seems government no longer want to do anything as their major function is being changed to fund mismanagement. Another challenge is that ASUU is never on the side of the students yet the students clamour for them all the time all because of the graduate quick syndrome. Why can't they go on strike due to the undue hike in fees (when truly it implies more funds for them to embezzle)? SMH for this kind of government.
The other time, Amosu single handedly closed down TASUED without going through NUC that gave them accreditation and yet, both students and lecturers alike felt it wasn't their pains. Until we agree that an injustice to one is an injustice to all and drop our I don't care attitude, government across the country will keep inflicting pains on us.
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by GboyegaD(m): 7:05pm On Feb 21, 2012
afam4eva:

ACN has proven times without number that it's a progressive party. Age let the school fees keep progressing while the standard retrogresses. Good Job ACN.

I want to presume you are only being sarcastic here right? The school should progress with age and should have land marks and not retrogress and neither can continous hike in fees be seen as progressing.
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by Wilfredng: 7:20pm On Feb 21, 2012
jedisco:

Is this how ACN wants to overthrow PDP?
Very soon somebody will come here and paint PDP as Nigerias only problem and ACN as our saviour and saint

Like I said on another thread I see PDP taking some states from ACN at the next elections

My dear all of them are birds of the same feather. embarassed
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by MEGAWATCH: 8:18pm On Feb 21, 2012
YOU GAT IDEAS? MEET BUSINESS INVESTORS AND CONNECTION ON www.bizinterest.com
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by jenuel: 8:23pm On Feb 21, 2012
Students of EKSU should ask their governor to come to IMO state for lectures by the peoples governor, Rochas Okorocha, who has declared free education at all state owned institutions plus bursary.
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by bakila: 9:01pm On Feb 21, 2012
Is the earnings of perents in ekiti enough to pay the fees? Are there improvements in the quality and quantity of educational services offered to student, even if the answer is yes that amount is high for an average nigerian perent who most often does have more than one child.
Funniest or disheartening part tje money does not cover cost of feeding, study materials and provision of healthcare.
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by BlackPikiN(m): 1:10am On Feb 22, 2012
bulksms247:

EKSU, hmmm I nearly called it EKWENSU.

Where is our governemt taking education to? They are fufuiling silly Ohakims word that education is for the Rich and not the poor. Dear Lord In Heaven intervene for your children and let all the bad politicians in Nigeria be destroyed In Jesus Name, Amen

hahaha, you go wound pesin pikin o.
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by ochibs1010(m): 8:17am On Feb 22, 2012
i wonder the rationale for the hike in fees

Benue State University have more infrastructure than Ekiti State University
all courses are accredited in BSU except Medicine which is at its 3rd stage of accreditation
returning students pay below 30k while new students pay below 50K

the same thing goes for Nassarawa State University, Kogi State University, Kano State University

at least i have visited EKSU, OOU the Uncoordinated LASU campuses around and i wonder whats happening
cos in-terms of infrastructure you cant compare them with the state universities in the north.
90% of the courses offered in the state universities in the north are accredited with at-least 4 Phd holders in every department.

this is why we see alot of south westerners seeking admission in the northern state universities
i hope the governor who had free education courtesy of Awolowo back in the days are denying the present generation what should originally be free.

Kano and Adamawa states are even giving its indigenes free education in there state universities.
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by Okijajuju1(m): 8:18am On Feb 22, 2012
I support the fee hike. I even think its too low. All schools should peg their fees at not less than 250,000 Naira per student.

That said, its now the place of the government to set up a credible scholarship scheme for students on merit. Its nonsense for the government to tell Universities to charge Bleep amount and then would not fund these universities well enough for them to run and function as they should. Its time the government realises that school is not for all, but for the intellectually gifted.

NOW, I must say that EKwenSU has some rather funny items on their school fees breakdown. . . .  Whats Professional fees biko nu?!  undecided Not to talk of I.T Supervision?!  
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by gentlegg(m): 9:35am On Feb 22, 2012
Our Governor is giving us free university education and these ACN clowns are hiking their fees over 100%, and somebody is telling me vote ACN in 2015.
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by Xtfield(m): 9:51am On Feb 22, 2012
There will be no crisis. University education is not a must. University education can not be free. Those who want it must be willing to pay for it. There is nothing wrong with EKSU as a name. It's just an acronym. We Ekiti indigenes love the name. I support realistic governors like Fayemi. No point deceiving the people with substandard education. Free education should be limited to pre-primary, primary and Junior Secondary Schools.
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by Tobbie9(m): 10:21am On Feb 22, 2012
Xtfield:

There will be no crisis. University education is not a must. University education can not be free. Those who want it must be willing to pay for it. There is nothing wrong with EKSU as a name. It's just an acronym. We Ekiti indigenes love the name. I support realistic governors like Fayemi. No point deceiving the people with substandard education. Free education should be limited to pre-primary, primary and Junior Secondary Schools.
Enemy of progress, what happens to the intellectually gifted but financially deprived in the society that's what I hate the most about nigerians quick to compare themselves with foreign countries in terms of expensive education without putting in place things like student loans, transparent scholarship programmes, sound secondary schools and good vocational institutes. The fact remains Nigeria isn't ready for expensive tertiary education especially with 90% of the people living below poverty and high illiteracy rate.GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Crisis Looms At EKSU As Students Decry Hike In School Fees by samolina1(m): 7:14am On Feb 23, 2012
What is all this fuss about? Though the fees is still high, but, do you know how much they were paying in UNIOSUN and EKSU(formally UNAD) before ACN got to power? You must be joking!

(1) (Reply)

2020 MTN Foundation Scholarship Application / Neco Office In Lagos. / The Effect Of Student Housing Conditions On Academic Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.