Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,806 members, 7,817,338 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? (19452 Views)

Wife To Separate From Husband For Relocating Too Much / Advice For Relocating To Nigeria / Hilarious Nigeria: What If Your Wife SLAPS Your Mum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Nobody: 1:44am On May 11, 2012
Chinom:

You are free to define what FREEDOM means to you. For me, Lagos and Nigeria gives me a lot more freedom than any place in the west. Having lived in both places for a reasonable lenght of time. Besides, i don't even need to live in "highbrow"neighborhoods to feel and enjoy that freedom. I'm just as comfortable at Agege or Mushin.
SENSE OF PATRIOTISM FOR WHERE YOU COME FROM CAN NEVER BE MISPLACED.Besides re-locating to Nigeria has nothing to with patriotism. I'm patriotic when the "Super"Eagles play England. But Patriotism is the last thing on my mind when i'm at a joint in Ikeja sipping my Gulder with point & kill peppersoup. You must be in your 30s. Come back to me when you start moving towards 50.

Lol, that was funny. Anyway, what about the West makes you think your freedom is restricted? My dad has such fond feelings for Nigeria, but whenever he visits and comes back, that week would be spent in anger and major criticisms of Nigeria. grin
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by lastpage: 6:49am On May 11, 2012
stillwater:

Lol, that was funny. Anyway, what about the West makes you think your freedom is restricted?
Allow me to come-in please.
"Freedom" is doing that which you want, when you want it, how you want it and for as long as it pleases your heart or gives you happiness".

Take note its not about whether such 'things' are legal or acceptable in a society, it is about fulfilling your heart desires.
Thus, when you work hard for money and you decide in your heart that you want a house that is X-meters high, Y-Color and the fence should be Z-meters in height, you go ahead and build one.....That my friend is freedom!

If someone or some law says "No Way, you cant", then your freedom has been restricted.
In Nigeria, we build our house "to our taste" in absolute freedom!

In the "West" (America, U.K an Europe generally), go to a street and you would see all the house looks so alike (height, color, joined at the hip! grin ,e.t.c) that you wonder if you're on a film set!

In Nigeria, you can have your party the way you want it (spray your money, make your music as loud as you want, even block the road in your area! shocked ), you have the freedom to party like an animal but try it in the West! grin Your freedom in that sense, is restricted!

In Nigeria, you can "train your children" the way you like, to your taste without some "government official" who probably in most cases, is not even married nor have kids, telling you how you should raise your own kid (and threatening you along the way!).
That is a restriction on your freedom to bring up your own kids as you wish!

In Nigeria, you can spend your money as you wish, you can carry as much cash as you want, put as much in your account or under your bed! grin No one gives a hoot! That is freedom with your money. Carrying over 5,000 cash abroad will earn you a lot of "interrogation from the Cops". They would want you to satisfy them as to the source of the money (reasonable in my own opinion) but in Nigeria, who cares? Its your money and if anyone ask you, you can ask them to kiss my black ar.se!

In Nigeria, you can talk "carelessly", you can joke carelessly and "just act" without a care! In the West, every word, action, innuendo "is guarded", watched and weighed 'cos before you know it, "an offense" has been committed!

In Nigeria, your kids (and even you) can bath in the rain, you can run around with pants only but "indecent exposure" is never far from their lips, in the West.

In Nigeria, fathers sleep on the same bed with their daughters, brothers and sisters sleep on the same bed for ages but in the West, you have to separate the "boy's room" from the "girls room" and if a father is found "getting too close" to his daughter, "eye brows" get raised! (What da feck, l mean she is your daughter, your own blood!)

In Nigeria, anyone can buy any car, of any worth, without questions from anyone but over here, at a certain age, you are not allowed to drive certain cars (except you're a "known star" like Rooney or a Musician/Artist) without the Police paying you a courtesy visit. Even if you're able to explain your source of income, the "Tax-man" will still be watching you from the shadows! grin

I can go on for ever about how the West has curtailed "individual freedom and liberty" (without even getting into "nitty-gritty issues" like "security, eaves-dropping, phone-tapping, E-mail hacking, poke-nosing neighbors, (those jobless, old oyinbo women that peep from their window once they see a "black person" around! grin ), e.t.c

Mind you, for the sake of clarity, let me repeat: It is not about good or bad, legal or illegal, it just about having the freedom to do as your heart pleases!

In summary, Nigeria guarantees you absolute freedom!
That is why you will hardly see a Nigerian commit Suicide! We like to enjoy life in absolute freedom, to the fullest possible, despite the poor infrastructures!

This is what some people "seek to satisfy", after "seeing it all" in the West!
Of what benefit is life, if not lived in absolute freedom, or do you think you will come back a second time?

stillwater:
My dad has such fond feelings for Nigeria, but whenever he visits and comes back, that week would be spent in anger and major criticisms of Nigeria. grin
Sure, no one who has "experienced" Nigeria in its "glory days" (1950's to 1970's) would not be angry, seeing what Nigeria has become; moreso when he knows that Nigeria has the wherewithal to surpass most of the western countries, in terms of development!

His anger is not about the country itself but directed at those who are making it difficult for him to make the decision to come back home completely!
Do you know that almost every house in lagos (including those in a village setting like Isale-Eko, Bariga, Mushin, Onike-Iwaya, Agege, e.t.c in the 70's), all have running showers in their bathrooms and all streets have this gigantic, metallic "Public Tap" and working street lights plus excellent tarred roads?
Fast forward to 2010, we dont even have running tap water for drinking!

Do you know that there was a time when Brits and Americans queue-up to get Nigerian Visa and the pounds (GBP) was equal to 75kobo?
This is why your Dad is angry; because going home each time, reminds him of those days, not too far off. wink

Its not only your Dad that gets annoyed, l am absolutely livid too!

Take heart, "E go better", Na "Generator" name be that! grin

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 7:00am On May 11, 2012
@lastpage : thanks for your post, so on point smiley
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by pato405(m): 9:22am On May 11, 2012
Last page, you too much!

in addition:

In Nigeria, you can pay your family member or friend a surprise visit, here you must give notice else, you are not welcome! angry angry - that is freedom

In Nigeria, NEPA could come disconnect your source of power and you sweet talk them out of disconnecting you, here , you dare not - that is freedom

In Nigeria, you can catch your fun with your home theatre at home wink, blasting 'konga-aso' here, you'll host the police courtesy of neighbours dialing their number - that's freedom

In Nigeria, you buy a TV, get home, plug into the socket and watch your channels for free, here, you must get a TV licence or go to jail - that's freedom

the list endless abeg!
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by moremi2008(m): 9:25am On May 11, 2012
Miss_Ife: @lastpage : thanks for your post, so on point smiley

Please, stop thanking him for ignorant, conflicting opinions. He mistakes chaos for freedom. A civilization that aspires towards greatness must have enforceable laws. With the same mouth Lastpage has used to complain about collapsed buildings in Lagos, he will use to rant against building codes in the West. With the same mouth he has used to complain about the ease with which politicians launder stolen loot in Nigeria, he will use to complain against anti-money laundering laws in the West. With the same mouth he has used to complain against child abuse in Nigeria, he will use to complain about child protective services in the West.

Having no laws is NOT freedom! Until we get beyond this type of mentality, Nigeria will remain a backward place that has not lived up the promise it showed in the decade after Independence.

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by debosky(m): 9:32am On May 11, 2012
It is precisely this 'freedom' in Nigeria (including freedom to steal from others with impunity without punishment) that makes Nigeria (largely) lawless jungle it is.

You forgot you are 'free' to get robbed without anyone coming to your aid, 'free' to die of easily treatable diseases because someone stole the money meant to maintain hospitals and so on.

Sure you are 'free' to buy any car of any price, whether you stole the money or not, whether the money was intended for building schools for kids or not.

You are 'free' to get mowed over by an irresponsible government convoy speeding down the highway, or flogged for not getting out of the way.

This near limitless freedom to do as your heart pleases (without regard for others) ultimately ends up in anarchy - that is why we are in the mess we are today.

2 Likes

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by blank(f): 11:05am On May 11, 2012
Sammiejo: @ Blank please can you post the name of the agency.

Nanny costs from N10k to N25k if u r getting from an agency.

There are several, Ginac services, rent-a-help, etc. I will find their information and let you know.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by pato405(m): 11:39am On May 11, 2012
moremi2008:

Please, stop thanking him for ignorant, conflicting opinions. He mistakes chaos for freedom. A civilization that aspires towards greatness must have enforceable laws. With the same mouth Lastpage has used to complain about collapsed buildings in Lagos, he will use to rant against building codes in the West. With the same mouth he has used to complain about the ease with which politicians launder stolen loot in Nigeria, he will use to complain against anti-money laundering laws in the West. With the same mouth he has used to complain against child abuse in Nigeria, he will use to complain about child protective services in the West.

Having no laws is NOT freedom! Until we get beyond this type of mentality, Nigeria will remain a backward place that has not lived up the promise it showed in the decade after Independence.

are you saying we should be shackled up in stringent laws because we want civilisation?

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Chinom(m): 1:02pm On May 11, 2012
@lastpage, thank you for your comprehensive reply to "Stillwater". I could'nt have done it any better. May i also add that freedom is me being able to teach my son that it is totally wrong for him to have sex with another man. That men don't marry men and women DON'T marry women. In many schools in central Europe,homosexual sex is taught right from primary school.
@moremi2008,let it be known to you that we have laws in Nigeria. And the laws are enforced. The difference with the west lies in the mentality of our people, our culture. People in Russia enjoy the same freedom we enjoy in Nigeria. and Russia is by no means an underdeveloped country.They are right there with USA and surpass many European countries. But the mentality and culture of the people are what makes the difference.
When it comes to crime, Newyork and London are much more worse than Lagos.Considering all the dumb idiots in America who carry guns and are even allowed to carry it by law, i feel much more safer in Nigeria. Besides there are many more quiet places one can relocate to outside Lagos.
In Nigeria kids don't stab other kids to death. No 17yr old takes a gun to school and use it kill so many fellow students. So, Moremi, i wish you luck wherever you may be in the west. All i need in Naija now is constant power supply. I have never experienced any crime in Naija personally. The choice is yours.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Chinom(m): 1:46pm On May 11, 2012
Miss_Ife: Hello nairalanders smiley

I am still working on my plan to relocate to nigeria, while studying job offers, I will need your help (especially those based there, since I didn't go back for a couple of yrs) as for the cost of life in Lagos.

What price range would you give for those things :
-rented flat/house (3 bedrooms), preferably in VI or Lekki
-24hrs electricity and water (including fuel cost)
- house help / nanny salary (5 days a week, office hours +2)
- occasional driver wages (week ends etc.)
- gateman salary (if in a house, lives in, not necessary if in a flat)
- fuel cost for car
- average cost of food for a family of 5 (80% local + 20% imported)
- other expenses?

Thank you in advance for your help, as this will help me make my decision to move now or wait some more. ,  

I would really like to know why you people would want to pay N1.5 to N2m for a 3 bedroom flat at Lekki or VI. In the property section, a 4 bedroom flat in a newhouse is advertised for N550k in Ogba. Ogba is no Ghetto. It's close to Alausa, Ikeja, the seat of government in lagos. We also have the new Ikeja shopping mall where you can get everything you are used to in the US including KFC. I don't quite understand this fascination with VI and Lekki. I've been to both places. Nothing special. Besides it will take you a good 2 hours to get to Broad street from lekki given the traffic situation. I urge those who want to relocate to broaden their horizon. However, if you have the money to throw about, go on and rent a place at Lekki or VI. Personally, i prefer the mainland.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by debosky(m): 2:31pm On May 11, 2012
Chinom:
When it comes to crime, Newyork and London are much more worse So, Moremi, i wish you luck wherever you may be in the west. All i need in Naija now is constant power supply. I have never experienced any crime in Naija personally. The choice is yours.

This is an extreme case of subjectivity - because you've not experienced crime in Nigeria doesn't mean crime in NY and London are much much worse. Do you even know what the crime level in Lagos is?

Someone else can come up and say they've never exerienced crime in London - does that mean crime is absent?

By all means express a presence for one location over another, but don't make blanket statements with little basis beyond your own personal experience.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by coogar: 3:07pm On May 11, 2012
Chinom: let it be known to you that we have laws in Nigeria. And the laws are enforced. The difference with the west lies in the mentality of our people, our culture. People in Russia enjoy the same freedom we enjoy in Nigeria. and Russia is by no means an underdeveloped country.They are right there with USA and surpass many European countries. But the mentality and culture of the people are what makes the difference.
When it comes to crime, Newyork and London are much more worse than Lagos.Considering all the dumb idiots in America who carry guns and are even allowed to carry it by law, i feel much more safer in Nigeria. Besides there are many more quiet places one can relocate to outside Lagos.
In Nigeria kids don't stab other kids to death. No 17yr old takes a gun to school and use it kill so many fellow students. So, Moremi, i wish you luck wherever you may be in the west. All i need in Naija now is constant power supply. I have never experienced any crime in Naija personally. The choice is yours.

it baffles me people still reason like this in 2012.
crimes in london/newyork are much worse than lagos? for heaven's sake, do you live in a cave?
you mean crimes like money rituals, daylight robbery in the traffic, pickpockets, etc are much
worse than london?
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 11, 2012
lastpage:
Allow me to come-in please.
"Freedom" is doing that which you want, when you want it, how you want it and for as long as it pleases your heart or gives you happiness".

Based on such definition, one is not entirely free wherever one finds himself. And besides, that would only be useful in theory, because in reality such a definition would only lead to chaos. and that is why Nigeria is in perpertual state of entropy. grin

Take note its not about whether such 'things' are legal or acceptable in a society, it is about fulfilling your heart desires.

For me it's all about maintaining order. I thrive in orderliness. cheesy

Thus, when you work hard for money and you decide in your heart that you want a house that is X-meters high, Y-Color and the fence should be Z-meters in height, you go ahead and build one.....That my friend is freedom!

I will take that over paying my electricity bills and still not having light. Comfort over sentiments. grin And besides Nigerians build such high fences because of the threat of armed robbers. Growing up in Nigeria, the houses in my neighborhood never had fences, instead it was decorated with flowers and trees. But as the country got worse, everyone started building fences. The neighborhood is now a mockery of itself. So it's not because you are free to do what you like, the conditions the country pose would not let you live without a cage surrounding you.

If someone or some law says "No Way, you cant", then your freedom has been restricted.
In Nigeria, we build our house "to our taste" in absolute freedom!

The government has been saying those exact same words 'No way you can't'. grin Fashola is beginning to apply such restrictions. Maybe I'll return to Lagos. grin

In the "West" (America, U.K an Europe generally), go to a street and you would see all the house looks so alike (height, color, joined at the hip! grin ,e.t.c) that you wonder if you're on a film set!

It's not a big deal. They are cool with the system. Most people don't start from scratch here to build a house. They peruse over different houses and choose the one which is to their taste. I've also seen estates in Nigeria in which the houses look the same. You can surely build your own house in America. But people just opt to buy ready-made houses My uncle just completed his house in the states a while back and the houses in the neighborhood look different. Besides here research/survey is done before and after you erect anything. It doesn't mean you are not free to build what you want, but it must not be a safety hazard which is reasonable. You can see that because of this 'freedom' some Nigerian houses collapse with no inkling of flood, earthquake, thunderstorm, tsunami. grin The houses just collapse. The price of freedom. lol.

In Nigeria, you can have your party the way you want it (spray your money, make your music as loud as you want, even block the road in your area! shocked ), you have the freedom to party like an animal but try it in the West! grin Your freedom in that sense, is restricted!

At the expense of your neighbors [b]freedom [/b]of serenity, quiet and orderliness. . . ehn lastpage? grin

In Nigeria, you can spend your money as you wish, you can carry as much cash as you want, put as much in your account or under your bed! grin No one gives a hoot! That is freedom with your money. Carrying over 5,000 cash abroad will earn you a lot of "interrogation from the Cops". They would want you to satisfy them as to the source of the money (reasonable in my own opinion) but in Nigeria, who cares? Its your money and if anyone ask you, you can ask them to kiss my black ar.se!

If your money is coming from reputable sources, there's no need to fear. grin

2 Likes

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by ronkebp(f): 3:25pm On May 11, 2012
coogar:

crimes in london/newyork are much worse than lagos? for heaven's sake, do you live in a cave?
you mean crimes like money rituals, daylight robbery in the traffic, pickpockets, etc are much
worse than london?

I will also say crime, here in the States is worse than that of Nigeria.
drug barons, pickpockets too, fraudulent activities (in the banks), day light robbery (robbers always hold the banks-up), gangster-ism, every child has a gun, rapists, mad people walking around everywhere, the 419-ers here are much more vast and experienced than Naija yahoo-yahoo boys.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Nobody: 3:42pm On May 11, 2012
coogar:

worse than london?

I'm stunned too. Sometimes I don't come home until as late as 2am. You think my parents would let me do that if I were in naija? Daylight robbery should take the cake over every other thing. That should be one of the many the dividends of freedom lastpage is talking about.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by armyofone(m): 3:45pm On May 11, 2012
@ Chinom,
law enforment in Nigeria grin grin grin laughing and talking to my nice gun grin
A country where your husband can slap you and beat the day light out of you yet no place to run to?
no cops to call? no anger management clinic, no psycho ward (bless yaba left tongue) to keep him, no clinical assessment to sort
his brain to find out where some nut or screw upstair aren't well tightened? yet you call that the best place to live? a country
where they build prison walls to protect themselves cuz no law enforcers to protect you, emergency vehicle got no gas/petrol,
no ambulance, or no petrol for ambulance, oh Lordy. Scary undecided
the only place i want to go is my grandparents village to bath in the village river, eat ube and fresh corn, walnut, eat ezigbo ofe etc
and then jet back home, sweet home the land of the free the home of the brave

Sempfer FI

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by ronkebp(f): 3:48pm On May 11, 2012
armyofone: @ Chinom,
law enforment in Nigeria grin grin grin laughing and talking to my nice gun grin
A country where your husband can slap you and beat the day light out of you yet no place to run to?
no cops to call? no anger management clinic, no psycho ward (bless yaba left tongue) to keep him, no clinical assessment to sort
his brain to find out where some nut or screw upstair aren't well tightened? yet you call that the best place to live?
the only place i want to go is my grandparents village to bath in the village river, eat ube and fresh corn, walnut, eat ezigbo ofe etc
and then jet back home, sweet home the land of the free the home of the brave

Sempfer FI

The law-makers themsleves are serial cheats and wife beaters!!! who will make the law
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by coogar: 3:50pm On May 11, 2012
ronkebp:

drug barons, pickpockets too, fraudulent activities (in the banks), day light robbery (robbers always hold the banks-up), gangster-ism, every child has a gun, rapists, mad people walking around everywhere, the 419-ers here are much more vast and experienced than Naija yahoo-yahoo boys.

crime in the states is not 1/3rd of what happens in nigeria. this ignorance must stop.
it's just that nearly every incident makes it to the 9pm news in the states whilst the ones in naija are
swept under the carpet. the crimes reported in naija are 1/1000th of what really goes on.

the same naija where pickpockets are maimed on the streets on a daily basis, cars crush pedestrians
like no man's business. the same nigeria where tobacco/alcohol can be sold to a 7-month old baby
if the baby can find its way to any mallam shop. abeg - nigeria is worse than any where i have been
to. it's a hell-hole.

2 Likes

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by armyofone(m): 3:58pm On May 11, 2012
You know, a nice lunch for you (on me) for saying it like it is.
Let's no get carried away by our love for Nigeria. I miss home, but it saddened me what Nigeria has become.
I cried when i visited because things are just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad.

coogar:

crime in the states is not 1/3rd of what happens in nigeria. this ignorance must stop.
abeg - nigeria is worse than any where i have been
to. it's a hell-hole.

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Nobody: 4:10pm On May 11, 2012
ronkebp:

Depends on where you live. Stay in the suburbs and you will be just fine.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 11, 2012
stillwater:

I'm stunned too. Sometimes I don't come home until as late as 2am. You think my parents would let me do that if I were in naija? Daylight robbery should take the cake over every other thing. That should be one of the many the dividends of freedom lastpage is talking about.

you still live with your parents? shocked shocked grin
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 11, 2012
^^^Sharapp. I have an apartment, but I still come back home for visiting sake. grin
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by armyofone(m): 5:07pm On May 11, 2012
so our own Ronkelus upon all ya yagan na for Ghetto you dey for Philly grin grin grin i see why you wan pack go another hell hole grin Just wanna tease ya wink
but come o, wetin you see for Philly that place is just too odd for my liking.

davidylan:

Depends on where you live. Stay in the suburbs and you will be just fine.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by moremi2008(m): 5:11pm On May 11, 2012
armyofone: so our own Ronkelus upon all ya yagan na for Ghetto you dey for Philly grin grin grin i see why you wan pack go another hell hole grin Just wanna tease ya wink

I was scratching my head at her comment because I completely forgot that she lives in Philly! LOL! No wonder she thinks crime in the U.S. is higher than crime in Lagos!!!! Aunty Ronke (PhD holder in Kpekus), please don't think the rest of the US is like dirty, ghetto Philly! Just finish your school and go experience a non-ghetto part of America. Your opinion will change after that. grin grin
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by coogar: 5:24pm On May 11, 2012
armyofone: You know, a nice lunch for you (on me) for saying it like it is.
Let's no get carried away by our love for Nigeria. I miss home, but it saddened me what Nigeria has become.
I cried when i visited because things are just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad.

i prefer it to be dinner so we can cosy up somewhere wink
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by armyofone(m): 5:31pm On May 11, 2012
haha, exactly why i picked lunch grin.

coogar:

i prefer it to be dinner so we can cosy up somewhere wink
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by dayokanu(m): 5:55pm On May 11, 2012
I have stayed in the west for over 3years I go out at night regularly, I have never been robbed before anywhere

but while in Nigeria hardly does a week pass without a colleague being robbed in traffic either on Osborne road or Apongbon

Actually I dont leave work till 10pm so I can speed pass Osborne without being robbed.

Yet Osborne is supposed to be the highbrow area of Lagos.

Imagine what now happens in Abule Egba, Egbeda Shitta and other middle class areas?

Wearing a suit is an open invitation to robbers

crime in Lagos cant be compared to anywhere in the west

The knowledge that there is a law enforcement which does their job is even enough deterrent to people compared to what we have in Naija
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by coogar: 6:07pm On May 11, 2012
smiley smiley smiley grin cheesy wink wink wink wink
dayokanu: I have stayed in the west for over 3years I go out at night regularly, I have never been robbed before anywhere

but while in Nigeria hardly does a week pass without a colleague being robbed in traffic either on Osborne road or Apongbon

Actually I dont leave work till 10pm so I can speed pass Osborne without being robbed.

Yet Osborne is supposed to be the highbrow area of Lagos.

Imagine what now happens in Abule Egba, Egbeda Shitta and other middle class areas?

Wearing a suit is an open invitation to robbers

crime in Lagos cant be compared to anywhere in the west

The knowledge that there is a law enforcement which does their job is even enough deterrent to people compared to what we have in Naija

and i doubt any of the victims has ever reported these crimes.
people just dust themselves and move on when robbed. you get to hear these stories
more in the church than the police station. the public has lost confidence in the police.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by dayokanu(m): 6:09pm On May 11, 2012
How can anyone take pride in disorderliness and call it freedom

Building your house without consideration to the environment or neighbours isnt freedom

Blasting music in a residential area without consideration for neighbours which might include infants or elderly is not freedom.

The freedom to train the child the way you like has led to several cases of abuse. I wonder how someone can claim that as freedom. many parents have used that "freedom" to maim their own children, Go to youtube and check child witches of Nigeria and see how the freedom to train your children the way you want has made people nail their children in the head or burnt their hands and bodies because no one would stop them.

Carrying as much money as you want is the main reason we are crying o corrupt leaders in Nigeria, What does it take a LG chairman to go into the coffers and carry as much as he wants. We complain of corrupt officials yet laud the same practices.

The idea that "She is your daughter your own blood is what has made several girls be abused by their own fathers and even get pregnant. A simple search on Nl would show you how prevalent this is. Due to the freedom you want.

The freedom to drive any car without being questioned about your income is what encourage thieves and corruption in Nigeria. When a 18yr old with no known skill or means of livelihood can drive a range rover without being questioned . Yet this is what we tag FREEDOM.

Actually this mentality is why Nigeria might not get better, Imagine what the supposed elites who have travelled far and wide tag as freedom?

Most of us that complain about our leaders actually complain because we dont have the opportunity to perpetuate the same thing we accuse the leaders of.

If someone uses his loud music to disturb your grandma or your newborn you complain, But you wont hesitate to do the same thing and call it FREEDOM

Nigeria we hail thee!!!

2 Likes

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by ronkebp(f): 6:29pm On May 11, 2012
coogar:

it's just that nearly every incident makes it to the 9pm news in the states whilst the ones in naija are
swept under the carpet. the crimes reported in naija are 1/1000th of what really goes on.

the same naija were pickpockets are maimed on the streets on a daily basis, cars crush pedestrians
like no man's business. the same nigeria where tobacco/alcohol can be sold to a 7-month old baby
if the baby can find its way to any mallam shop. abeg - nigeria is worse than any where i have been
to. it's a hell-hole.

Things are bad, but it is not as bad as you painted it, let Nigeria educational system reach the level that the State has reached. What do you expect from a country that has 60% of illiterates.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by ronkebp(f): 6:32pm On May 11, 2012
armyofone: so our own Ronkelus upon all ya yagan na for Ghetto you dey for Philly grin grin grin i see why you wan pack go another hell hole grin Just wanna tease ya wink

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really? Armyoften!!! you gat jokes grin grin.....naaa i get liver to live in the ghetto who born me, i live in a very good area, moreso you do not have to live in the ghetto to know what happens there, why do we have T.V News? and all what is do you watch crime T'V at all?
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by coogar: 6:33pm On May 11, 2012
ronkebp:

Things are bad, but it is not as bad as you painted it, let Nigeria educational system reach the level that the State has reached. What do you expect from a country that has 60% of illiterates.

things are bad? things are hopeless!
i don't know how people do it. pretend things are ok when they are in fact horrible.
nigeria is a shithole. if you haven't experienced any ugly incident, you are one of the
0.005% of the population that haven't - if you hear other people's tales. . .you would
marvel! nigeria is the worst country i have ever been to. the very worst where the value
of human lives cost less than a used tissue paper.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

"My Mother Went Back To College At 45" - Twitter User Shares Photo / How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? / Describe Your Dad's Slap In One Word

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.