Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,003 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Help! How Do I Design A Bioreactor? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Help! How Do I Design A Bioreactor? (2582 Views)

An Oou Student Design A Gp Calculator For Students / HELP: How To Complete My I.T Log-book. / Help! How Do I Check My Federal Poly Nekede Post-ume Result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Help! How Do I Design A Bioreactor? by TYPOP(m): 12:16pm On Mar 21, 2006
I have this project my supervisor wants me to carry out and I am ina dilema. I've been searching the net for how to go about it but to no avail. Please, if you have a link that might help me know how a Bioreactor is designed, could you please post it here. I will richly appreciate this.
Thanks.

NB: A bioreactor is a vessel in which is carried out a chemical process which involves organisms or biochemically active substances derived from such organisms. This process can either be aerobic or anaerobic. It is used by chemical engineers.
Re: Help! How Do I Design A Bioreactor? by chimanu2000(m): 1:59pm On Mar 21, 2006
hi, dont have a lot to add but you can check the net.hers what i got from wikipedia
Bioreactor design
Bioreactor design is quite a complex engineering task. Under optimum conditions the microorganisms or cells are able to perform their desired function with great efficiency. The bioreactor's environmental conditions like gas (i.e., air, oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide) flowrates, temperature, pH and dissolved oxygen levels, and agitation speed/circulation rate need to be closely monitored and controlled.

Most industrial bioreactor manufacturers use vessels, sensors, controllers, and a control system, networked together for their bioreactor system, see programmable logic controller (PLC).

Fouling can harm the overall sterility and efficiency of the bioreactor, especially the heat exchangers. To avoid it the bioreactor must be easily cleanable and must be as smooth as possible (therefore the round shape).

A heat exchanger is needed to maintain the bioprocess at a constant temperature. Biological fermentation is a major source of heat, therefore in most cases bioreactors need water refrigeration. They can be refrigerated with an external jacket or, for very large vessels, with internal coils.

In an aerobic process, optimal oxygen transfer is perhaps the most difficult task to accomplish. Oxygen is poorly soluble in water -and even less in fermentation broths- and is relatively scarce in air (20.8%). Oxygen transfer is usually helped by agitation, that is also needed to mix nutrients and to keep the fermentation homogeneous. There are however limits to the speed of agitation, due both to high power consumption (which is proportional to the cube of the speed of the electric motor) and the damage to organisms due to excessive tip speed.

Industrial bioreactors usually employ bacteria or other simple organisms that can withstand the forces of agitation. They are also simple to sustain, requiring only simple nutrient solutions and can grow at astounding rates.

In bioreactors where the goal is grow cells or tissues for experimental or therapeutic purposes, the design is significantly different from industrial bioreactors. Many cells and tissues, especially mammalian, must have a surface or other structural support in order to grow, and agitated environments are often destructive to these cell types and tissues. Higher organisms also need more complex growth medium.

[edit]
NASA Tissue Cloning Bioreactor
Recently NASA announced another new type of Bioreactor that artificially grows tissue in Cell cultures.

NASA's Tissue Bioreactor can grow heart tissue, skeletal tissue, ligaments, cancer tissue for study, and other types of tissue. [1]
Re: Help! How Do I Design A Bioreactor? by TYPOP(m): 5:45pm On Mar 23, 2006
@chimanu2000
thanks a lot. Do you have a source that I can dig more into?

(1) (Reply)

How To Check 2013/2014 Uniuyo Direct Entry Screening Result / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {literature Thread} / Kwara State Polytechnic Admission List 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.