Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Between Achebe And Soyinka? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Between Achebe And Soyinka? (1840 Views)

Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka / Between Achebe And Soyinka? / Between Achebe And Soyinka? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Achebe And Soyinka? by vikiviko(m): 2:12pm On Oct 22, 2007
One of America’s most prestigious honors – The Medal of Honor for literature from the National Arts Club is to be presented to Nigerian novelist Professor Chinua Achebe on November, 16, 2007, in New York City.

The Medal of Honor of The National Arts Club honors the achievement of the author chosen annually by the Literary Committee Members. The Club's membership has included three presidents, and some of the most important artists and arts patrons in America . Presidents Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson and Dwight D. Eisenhower were all members of the National Arts Club.

Please i want to know If Wole Soyinka's Nobel Prize supercedes this honor.
Both are luminaries, but one supercedes the other, who do you think between Prof Wole Soyinka and Prof Chinua Achebe?

Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by vescucci(m): 10:36am On Oct 30, 2007
That's a very close call but I think Chinua Achebe had a more succesful career in sales and Soyinka got more critically acclaimed. I'd probably tear my head in two trying to choose.
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by olawale03(m): 1:07am On Nov 04, 2007
stop comparing these two giants of literature.great writers,pride of nigeria
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by SamMilla1(m): 7:31pm On Nov 04, 2007
i am almost smiling while reading your question.both are giants.both are recognised worldwide and both are nigerians.i loved their works from when i was a teenager until now.soyinka is great but i think achebe is greater.
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by Orikinla(m): 2:36am On Nov 05, 2007
Even Achebe knows that he is not greater than Soyinka.

You have to look at their works.

Achebe has been resting on his past glories since 1958 to date.
But Soyinka has been more active and consistent till date.

Please, study the corpus of Soyinka's literature.
He is the greatest writer in Africa.
Count his plays, novels, collection of poems, essays, non-fiction books, translated works, films, etc.
No other African writer can measure up to him.

Soyinka also understands more local and international languages than Achebe and the knowledge of language is very important in the appreciation of literature.

Soyinka is also a noted translator.
Gosh.
Please, go and study Wole Soyinka.
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by Ndipe(m): 10:34am On Nov 05, 2007
Enough of this topic!. I mean, it has been rehashed over and over again, all these comparisons between Achebe and Soyinka.

Orikinla, I have to ask you, what exactly is your problem with Achebe "resting on his past glories"? The man is old, he has written at least 2 internationally acclaimed novels, a feat that is unsurpassed by his contemporaries in Africa. Give the man a break, or better still, continue from where he stopped.
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by Gwazah(m): 3:47pm On Nov 05, 2007
If the world want to know the richest man she measure it by access not by cash
if u want to know about the the two check by their work.
Soyinka is the greatest check out his work, translations and indoctrination skills!
can u imaging somebody who English is not his language but go ahead and contribute to English explanation That is Dictionary do u know the lattes s Version of Oxford dictionary now? it is the 8 edition prof whole Soyinka is among, i m not saying Achebe did noting he is also wonderful and great. But all we know is Soyinka is the African Giant the whole world knows and they announce every were!
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by chychy(f): 4:24pm On Nov 05, 2007
if i was asked to choose, i wld say it's difficult cos both writers come from different backrounds and have entirely different styles.

When reading any of
soyinka's works, u'll need to have a dictionary close by and will even have to re-read it to get the picture while Achebe writes in a simpler style, if you have to read Achebe's work again, it'll be because the story is so captivating and you just got hooked, know wat i mean?

Both are great writers of our time but while one is majorly known for traditional yoruba setting, "Ake", the other is known for traditional Igbo setting "Things Fall Apart". Please let's accept them the way they are.
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by IykeD(m): 11:12pm On Nov 05, 2007
love both great writers, but since it is a matter of choice.Achebe is greater
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by Orikinla(m): 11:31pm On Nov 05, 2007
Ndipe:

Enough of this topic!. I mean, it has been rehashed over and over again, all these comparisons between Achebe and Soyinka.

Orikinla, I have to ask you, what exactly is your problem with Achebe "resting on his past glories"? The man is old, he has written at least 2 internationally acclaimed novels, a feat that is unsurpassed by his contemporaries in Africa. Give the man a break, or better still, continue from where he stopped.

I rest my case on this matter.
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by doyin13(m): 10:03am On Nov 06, 2007
chychy:

[color=#770077][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]
When reading any of
soyinka's works, u'll need to have a dictionary
close by and will even have to re-read it to get the picture while Achebe writes in a simpler style, if you have to read Achebe's work again, it'll be because the story is so captivating and you just got hooked, know what i mean?
[b][/b]

I am no wordsmith, but I have never had a problem dealing with the ''big words'' that everyone seems to accuse Soyinka of employing.

Its his train of thought that I tend to find a challenge. Unlike Achebe who is very simple and almost straight to the point, Soyina always has
some hidden delights in every crevice of his writing. . .

And that is why he is my favourite. . .I recommend the Interpreters.
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by vikiviko(m): 10:50am On Nov 06, 2007
About two decades have now passed since I first experienced the full extent of Chinua’s stratospheric ranking in the world of literature. I can no longer recall the exact date, but it might have been in the mid-nineteen eighties. The venue was one of the campuses of the City University of New York, in Manhattan. Chinua was the keynote speaker at some university function or the other.

I sat at a respectful distance and watched as several university professors argued strenuously among themselves. Each strove mightily to claim the credit for Chinua’s presence among them that night. And as I watched, the famous biblical question reverberated in my mind: IS THIS NOT THE CARPENTER’S SON?

Between January 1944 and August 1953, Chinua and I moved in the same orbit, from high school through university. As thirteen-year-olds, in January 1944, we gained admission to arguably the best high school in Nigeria, the Government College, Umuahia. Ten years later (August 1953) in the University College, Ibadan, we got our Bachelor of Arts Degrees in the same subjects: History, English and Religious Studies. Between those two years (1944 and 1953) we were, first, classmates; then we were not; and finally we were again.

For those interested in the details, Chinua was promoted from our class, in the middle of our very first year, to class 2. Fine other boys went up with him. I was not one of them. Which explains why, for five years we ceased to be classmates. I finally caught up with him, in 1949, in the University College, when he switched courses from Medicine to the Liberal Arts, and began all over again.

It is a matter of public knowledge that Chinua was the best student in every class I shared with him. In the five years of our separation, he was also the best student of his other class. I knew about his extraordinary brilliance, before I ever met him, because his reputation went ahead of him. My headmaster in primary school, as sagacious a teacher as you could find then, foretold it. He had taught Chinua years earlier, in the lower primary classes, before he came to my school for my three final primary classes before the entrance examination to Umuahia Government College. As I labored over my preparations for the examination, he blithely prophesied Chinua’s success in the same examination. He had not seen Chinua in all of three years. And he could not have known for sure if the bright young kid he had taught three years earlier, in another town, had any plans to sit the same examination. All he knew, and said, was that Umuahia was the best high school around, and Chinua naturally belonged there.

“Christian,” he said to me, using my baptismal name, “if you pass in this exam, I’m sure you will meet a boy called Albert Achebe there. And when you do, Albert will make the rain that will drench you.”

Albert, that is Chinua, did exactly that, even if my headmaster’s imagery was a trifle fanciful. I have watched him, from close quarters, and from some distance, as he has unleashed his literary masterpieces on an astonished and admiring world. I was around him when he started to write THINGS FALL APART soon after we went down from college. When he finally got it published in England, I rejoiced with him. The whole of Nigeria rejoiced with him.

Other novels followed. And success followed hard on success. Then the inevitable began to happen. Chinua, force majeure, began to shift out of my orbit. He did not think it would happen that way. But he could do nothing, even did he so wish, to stem the tide. He discovered, as his friends did too, that he had been drawn onto a world stage. Henceforth, he belonged, not just to a narrow circle of friends and admirers, but to all of humanity. The simple, quiet, almost self-effacing lad I had known from our common childhood, had been transformed, before my very eyes, into one of the great human beings of this, or any other age.

It is really quite impossible for the rest of the world to understand, or even to appreciate, the magnitude of the Chinua Achebe phenomenon. How do you describe what it feels like to see your friend and classmate, nurtured in the colonial quagmire to which our people were condemned for a century or more, rise above it all to write the language of Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Dickens and the rest, with a masterliness that takes the breath away? When we read Dickens, Stevenson, and yes, even Conrad, in high school and in college, we did not think we would produce an Achebe. We dared not think it!

THE CARPENTER’S SON? I only ever met Chinua’s father three or four times during the years Chinua and I were in high school and university, and a little after. But though my contact with the senior Achebe was not frequent, I always came away with the impression that the Chinua apple did not fall far from the tree. So, though his old man was no carpenter, it is my conviction that the father was largely responsible for chiseling the son, in the latter’s formative years, into the marvelously fine product the world knows today, and has admired for just about five decades.

Let me put this as simply and honestly as I can, or dare. Chinua is the best writer of English that I think I have ever read. He is, for me, its most mellifluous exponent. If this claim causes anyone to raise an eyebrow, I plead that beauty is in the beholder’s eye. I speak for myself and, I suspect, for an entire continent. There is no writer, living or dead, that has demonstrated, in greater measure than Chinua, the ability to weave a tapestry of words taken from the Queen’s English and from the proverbs and sayings of his own mother tongue, Igbo.

Chinua’s mastery of the English language was predictable, and predicted. Our teachers in high school told us Chinua was the best writer of English in the school. Our professors and lecturers in the University College, Ibadan – most of them native speakers of the language, said exactly the same thing. Indeed one or two of them, looking at the rest of the class with pity in their blue or green eyes, declared that Chinua was arguably the only one in our class who actually wrote English. We might have been hurt, but we did our best to appear nonchalant.

The carpenter’s son? Many of his classmates recognized Chinua’s genius early, because we witnessed it unfold before our very eyes. There was some kind of a poetry competition in our second or third year in the university college. From this distance in time, more than a half-century now, I forget the details of this competition. But I have not forgotten the day a white gentleman, a total stranger to all of us and, I believe, even to the faculty, came to the college. The student body assembled in a hall to hear from him the results of the competition. I did not hold my breath, because I had not entered even a line of poetry myself. And then this gentleman, instead of announcing the winners without fuss, first called out, loud and clear: “Will the student named Albert Achebe please stand up!”

Chinua, somewhat hesitantly, got up. The gentleman then read Chinua’s poem: something about a young student in his hall, who thought that because he was small, he should pay less, because he ate less than everybody else (or words to that effect). I believe Chinua won the first prize. He had to have won it, after all that fanfare!

The carpenter’s son? Chinua himself must have had an inkling of his own extraordinary gifts. How else could he have, albeit innocently, prophesied his coming glory? A mutual friend, now a well-known writer in his own rights, wrote a letter to Chinua two years after Chinua and I had graduated from the University College, Ibadan. This friend had just graduated Bachelor of Arts, and in the same subjects as Chinua and I. Somewhat elated that he had achieved the same level of success as Chinua, in the equivalent examination, he glowingly declared, in his letter, that we were all at par with one another. Three years before his first novel was published, and almost certainly before he had even begun to write it, Chinua replied to our friend’s letter. Quoting a passage from one of the Epistles of St. Paul, Chinua gently reminded our friend that though there are many stars in heaven, “ONE STAR DIFFERETH FROM ANOTHER IN GLORY”. Did Chinua know – could he improbably have known – what he was talking about?

I think I can, for fairly credible reasons, be forgiven for thinking of my friend as the carpenter’s son. Actually, I do not, and never did! But what reasons justify his non-selection for the highest literary prize in the world – the NOBEL PRIZE? I dare to assert that there is no writer alive today whose influence on a whole generation of writers compares with Chinua’s. And he has influenced, not only writers from the so-called backwaters of the African continent – Conrad’s heart of darkness – but also in the Americas. I was present at another function, again in Manhattan, where Chinua was one of the guests of honor of the African-American Institute. The celebrated writer, Tony Morrison, was also there. In probably the highest accolade from a Nobel laureate to a non-laureate that I ever heard, Tony Morrison acknowledged Chinua as one of her main literary inspirations in writing about her own people.

Written By,
Chike Momah is an author and retired International Civil Servant. He resides in Arlington Texas. This unpublished piece was written in October 2000, and amended in October 2007.

1 Like

Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by Ndipe(m): 10:57am On Nov 06, 2007
All these adulation for a mere mortal? Ridiculous!
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by penfold(m): 12:15pm On Nov 08, 2007
This is an issue that has caused sabres to be drawn in many a literary review class,

However, its instructive to know that Chinua Achebe has won every and i repeat every major and international prize in the literary world except the nobel prize, while Wole Soyinka, while not having the same plethora of awards however has the only one that matters (?) in his kitty!!!

The question then is: By what yardstick, what criteria do we compare them, personally, i believe that until Achebe wins the Nobel Prize, it is not fair to both authors to compare either their persons or their works!!!
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by Spiceyblue: 9:54pm On Nov 15, 2007
In my opinion Achebe is better for he is more realistic than Soyinka, I enjoy his books better
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by ndubest(m): 11:36am On Nov 21, 2007
ACHEBE?? OR SOYINKA??

penfold:

This is an issue that has caused sabres to be drawn in many a literary review class,

However, its instructive to know that Chinua Achebe has won every and i repeat every major and international prize in the literary world except the nobel prize, while Wole Soyinka, while not having the same plethora of awards however has the only one that matters (?) in his kitty!!!

The question then is: By what yardstick, what criteria do we compare them, personally, i believe that until Achebe wins the Nobel Prize, it is not fair to both authors to compare either their persons or their works!!!

It depends on your view of literature

if you see it from the simplistic point of view of an ordinary citizen without plethora of vocabulary at your disposal, then Chinua is the man
If you see literature from the sophisicated (and i dare say GRE LANGUAGE) point of views you ve got Wole as the man

for me I tip Chinua
Re: Between Achebe And Soyinka? by VanTee20(m): 9:04am On Oct 15, 2013
So the Anthony Achara character in Chike Momah's the shining ones is actually Achebe?

Great. Now I know a little more about the man.

(1) (Reply)

The Tale Of My Greedy Neighbor (2) By Tosan Tarre / Intermission Season 1 / SEX & FASTING – EPISODE 3(the Fight Of Conscience )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.