Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,322 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? (9330 Views)

Sola Scriptura: Does Following The Bible Equal Following The Lord? / Message From The Lord Jesus To Christians & Pastors - A Must Read! / Awesome Message From The Lord For Pastors & Bishops - Pls Read It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by mkmyers45(m): 12:51pm On Feb 23, 2012
Is it right for people to say "The Lord Giveth and the Lord Taketh"? In the case of Job, the lord gave and the devil took so it is fully right for people to accuse of God of taking when he most likely didn't take? Is human negligence not at fault or is God responsible for every thing?

Give your opinion
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by Lasinoh: 1:38pm On Feb 23, 2012
Your god is responsible for everything, including the devil.
What a fantastic god!!! cheesy
Lucifer the fallen angel disobeyed your god and is still alive and well.
While you 'the children of god' die everyday.
Praise ya lord!!!

Mu he he he he he
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by freecocoa(f): 2:19pm On Feb 23, 2012
Seriously i think about this a lot,I really don't believe in that crap,i mean like in the example you gave above about Job,it was the devil that took everything he had,though its true that our ways are quite different from that of God and we often don't understand it but how can he knowingly do things that hurt his children?it just doesn't make sense to me.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by mkmyers45(m): 2:26pm On Feb 23, 2012
freecocoa:

Seriously i think about this a lot,I really don't believe in that crap,i mean like in the example you gave above about Job,it was the devil that took everything he had,though its true that our ways are quite different from that of God and we often don't understand it but how can he knowingly do things that hurt his children?it just doesn't make sense to me.

I think about it very well too and im with you, who gives and who takes? so the devil has right to take what God has given?
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by highland(m): 3:08pm On Feb 23, 2012
The issue of Job is not correlated to your point. Job loss all because God want to show the devil that he is all power.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by mkmyers45(m): 3:38pm On Feb 23, 2012
highland:

The issue of Job is not correlated to your point. Job loss all because God want to show the devil that he is all power.

Then how doesn't it correlate? Please answer me

So you believe a fair God will give you a child and take him/her after 6 weeks?
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by Chuksxp: 5:09pm On Feb 23, 2012
mkmyers45:

Is it right for people to say "The Lord Giveth and the Lord Taketh"? In the case of Job, the lord gave and the devil took so it is fully right for people to accuse of God of taking when he most likely didn't take? Is human negligence not at fault or is God responsible for every thing?

Give your opinion

mkmyers45:

Then how doesn't it correlate? Please answer me

So you believe a fair God will give you a child and take him/her after 6 weeks?

We must come to a point whereby we realise that God always does what is right even when our finite minds don't fully understand it. His ways are not our ways, His thoughts are different from ours. He knows the end from the beginning. Romans 8:28 clearly states that "All things work for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose". It says ALL THINGS; and that includes sickness, health, poverty, prosperity, etc.

At the end of the day, God is more concerned about our eternity than this temporal life we have. What is 70 to 120 years here on earth when compared to 10+ billion years in eternity? It is like a drop of water in the ocean. God is more interested in our eternal salvation. That's why He said it is better to gain eternity with one eye than to have both and be thrown into hell.

The truth is, we cannot fully understand it all, because we are finite beings trying to figure out an Infinite God. We can only understand as much as God has revealed to us in His word. Anyway, from what I understand from the Bible, God allows the devil to bring death, sickness, hardship, etc on people. The devil does so in order to destroy us. But somehow God turns it around and uses it to build us up. As Joseph told his brothers, "You meant it for evil but God meant it for good". I do believe it is right to say the Lord gives and takes. Apparently, the book of Job says so. Look at this verse:

, They comforted and consoled him over all the trouble the LORD had brought on him,, - Job 41:11

God may not have directly brought suffering on Job, but He did give satan the permission to do so. He allowed satan to kill and destroy. But at the end, what satan meant for evil God turned around for good. Job was blessed much more than he was at the beginning. So, in conclusion, no matter what we face here on earth we should make up our mind to hold on to God and never doubt His goodness and faithfulness. God never promised a trouble-free life but He promised that He would always give us the strength to endure and overcome.

Romans 8:18 - I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by Lollysbride: 7:16pm On Feb 24, 2012
Thank you for sharing and good luck with the thread.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by dipo1: 7:19pm On Feb 24, 2012
I better just keep mute cos I have my own reservations about our belief as christians.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by fred2265: 7:22pm On Feb 24, 2012
I think the opening post is too narrow in taking one case from the bible and extrapolating it to everything.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by brixton: 7:26pm On Feb 24, 2012
dipo+:

I better just keep mute cos I have my own reservations about our belief as christians.

please share ur reservoiur to enlighten us
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by coolegbo(m): 7:49pm On Feb 24, 2012
The gift of God is eternal. Job literally made that statement because his understanding wasn't clear. It was made clear by himself in chapter 3 vs 25&26 that it was actually his fears that came on him
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by Wilfredng: 8:07pm On Feb 24, 2012
coolegbo:

The gift of God is eternal. Job literally made that statement because his understanding wasn't clear. It was made clear by himself in chapter 3 vs 25&26 that it was actually his fears that came on him

Thank God for people like you in this thread. God bless you.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by DynamicJo(m): 8:11pm On Feb 24, 2012
Job's comment was more of an attitude towards his situation. He was simply saying that no matter the situation, rich or poor, God deserves worship cos his plans are always for our good!

So, this passage encourages christians to give with all their heart. Our attitude to giving shd be like Job's - 'the lord has given and the lord has taken, praise be his name'. For it is God who gave us the wealth in d first place.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by bulksms247(m): 8:11pm On Feb 24, 2012
The issue of JOB was that God allowed devil to try JOB as a test ro prove to devil that JOB loved God not because of the wealth God gave him as the devil claimed. God gave devil control over JOb but strictly commanded him not to touch his soul that was the reason JOB didn't die. And the bible stated it clearly that after the trial of JOb go blessed job and he was richer than he was before the trial.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by quest55(m): 8:15pm On Feb 24, 2012
Depends. If life is terrible, miserable and meaningless for you, you say God gives and takes. If your life is filled with meaning then you say God gives and gives.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by buzugee(m): 8:26pm On Feb 24, 2012
if you are fulfilling your purpose on earth, the lord giveth. if you are not fulfilling your purpose on earth, the lord taketh
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by Killz3(m): 8:36pm On Feb 24, 2012
There is a common misconception that God takes what he has given! It's not factual! God doesnt delight in people suffering. He wants everyone to repent, he makes the sun shine on the good and bad and the rain also. There is a difference btw causing an event and allowing an event to happen. . . If God allows an event to occur, did he cause it? In the case of Job, the devil raised an issue concerning on Integrity. He said that Job will lose his integrity in God if those things were taken from him. He went on further to claim that he can successfully turn all men away from God by removing God's blessing from them. The resulting casualties on Job on the eventual sickness brought upon him, were from the devil. It was all in a bid to make Job lose his integrity. Mind you, Job did not know the source of his afflictions. But he maintained that integrity to God!

Satan is a LIAR and will remain a LIAR until he is destroyed forever. He is the master deceiver, he makes bad look good. He keeps deceiving people till date. He makes people think God takes. . . It's part of his deception.  wink The Lord ALLOWS, Not TAKETH!
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by Businesstools(m): 8:42pm On Feb 24, 2012
It implies that nothing happens without his consent.He is all-knowing.No entity can question his supremacy.It's my personal opinion anyway.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by FabulousAutos(m): 8:42pm On Feb 24, 2012
The gift of God is without repentance but the accuser of the brethren, the devil comes to kill, to steal and to destroy.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by LogicMind: 8:43pm On Feb 24, 2012
god is really confused and useless
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by dayokanu(m): 8:50pm On Feb 24, 2012
~Killz~:

There is a common misconception that God takes what he has given! It's not factual! God doesnt delight in people suffering. He wants everyone to repent, he makes the sun shine on the good and bad and the rain also. There is a difference btw causing an event and allowing an event to happen. . . If God allows an event to occur, did he cause it? In the case of Job, the devil raised an issue concerning on Integrity. He said that Job will lose his integrity in God if those things were taken from him. He went on further to claim that he can successfully turn all men away from God by removing God's blessing from them. The resulting casualties on Job on the eventual sickness brought upon him, were from the devil. It was all in a bid to make Job lose his integrity. Mind you, Job did not know the source of his afflictions. But he maintained that integrity to God!

Satan is a LIAR and will remain a LIAR until he is destroyed forever. He is the master deceiver, he makes bad look good. He keeps deceiving people till date. He makes people think God takes. . . It's part of his deception. wink The Lord ALLOWS, Not TAKETH!

there are several instances in the bible where it was reported God killed So isnt that a case of God taketh?
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by Killz3(m): 9:04pm On Feb 24, 2012
dayokanu:

there are several instances in the bible where it was reported God killed So isnt that a case of God taketh?
No it's not. All his ways are Just! smiley
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by emmanugo: 9:26pm On Feb 24, 2012
d greatest gift God gav to man is free will, so al human mak der choice.d devil own's d world n evrytn in it,an example can b sightd wen he even offerd jesus a share of it(earth), imao i dnt tink its rit to blame God 4 our misfortune in life because in d beginin he creactd d world beautiful n evrytn was perfect until we(man) chozd our path, God alowd Job n Jesus to b temptd n dey provd God rit n shamed d devil,d same tin is hapenin to us 2dy n hw are we handlin it, i rest my case,
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Feb 24, 2012
Religion, Very complicated and self contradictory,

I hear people say 'the lord giveth and taketh' and I wonder why he would give if he wouldn't allow it last,

People keep saying there is a̜̣̍ reason for everything and dah god is just, But if a̜̣̍ best friend fails one, even after he said dat u shuld trust and rely in him, den has d best friend not wronged his friend?
I wonder what god needed from my late 5yr old kid sis dat made him take her life! I trusted him and his work like a̜̣̍ best friend, D nite she passed away, I was at a̜̣̍ vigil where dere was a̜̣̍ prophecy dat he has just been healed, Just for me to get home at 5am and she was no more,
And people say god never fails, but is it not clear dat he failed me??
I won't 4give him, Until he gives me a̜̣̍ reason why he gave what he would painfully take, That is if he really doz exist!
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by Kaboom1: 9:47pm On Feb 24, 2012
God does not take anything from you, So it is wrong for anyone to use the phrase [b]"God gives and God takes" [/b]It is a very wrong Statement to make so here is what truly happens,
When you are not under the covering of God then the enemy has the power to take, but when you are under his banner/covering the enemy cant take. You also need to understand that God rules my laws which he cant break himself, the enemy also knows this. That is why immediately Adam & Eve break that law, right from that second God provides a way for Man to be redeemed, but that plan has to follow the Law. The wages of SIN is death that is what the law States, Adam did die eventually but his of-springs inherited his tainted bloodline so a pure blood had to come in to redeem Adams of-spring if not the ultimate Law still stands so a huge price had to be paid because the law cannot be broken. That is why God had to turn away his face when Christ cried out so that the plan of redemption can be fulfilled/Completed. The enemy knows these laws and have access to Heaven, so he can show up and accuse anyone for breaking the law. That is how it goes, God does not take anything, yet he is not going to stop the enemy from demanding justice from a person that breaks the law. Reason why believers must constantly be under the covering of God. I hope I was able to share some light on this topic. Thanks
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by manny4life(m): 9:47pm On Feb 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

Give your opinion

My own opinion, the lord gave Job but the lord did not take away, the devil did. Job just like us, are on a journey of Trials and Temptations, the test of "FAITH". Job was tested by Faith, and the Bible did say that God was aware when devil was trying Job but God said he devil can do all thing but touch his live. So God is aware of when the devil is trying us, however, there's a time when God takes for a reason. The Bible says in Proverbs 16:25 "There is a way that seems right unto a man, but in the end it leads to death". God will take away that which might seem right to us because everyday when we pray, we ask for God's perfect will and not his permissive will.

God did tell us, for the thoughts he has for his children are of GOOD and NOT EVIL, so he can bring each and everyone one of us to an expected end.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by Kaboom1: 10:00pm On Feb 24, 2012
Imanuelle:

Religion, Very complicated and self contradictory,

I hear people say 'the lord giveth and taketh' and I wonder why he would give if he wouldn't allow it last,

People keep saying there is a̜̣̍ reason for everything and dah god is just, But if a̜̣̍ best friend fails one, even after he said dat u shuld trust and rely in him, den has d best friend not wronged his friend?
I wonder what god needed from my late 5yr old kid sis dat made him take her life! I trusted him and his work like a̜̣̍ best friend, D nite she passed away, I was at a̜̣̍ vigil where dere was a̜̣̍ prophecy dat he has just been healed, Just for me to get home at 5am and she was no more,
And people say god never fails, but is it not clear dat he failed me??
I won't 4give him, Until he gives me a̜̣̍ reason why he gave what he would painfully take, That is if he really doz exist!

My friend, as painful as this is , I want to assure you that it is not as Complicated you think, all you need is for somebody that understands this to explain it to you. And before that, did the lil one die of physical illness? Was your dear sister taken to the hospital?, Cos there are so many things that Nigerians back home die from, yet they could be treated, so before I even attempt to explain somethings I have to know the facts, As for the prophecy it'd evident to you now that it is fraud, Still I can assure you that God never fails and he didn't fail you cos we are tini bity part of his billions of creations, still I cant say I understand how painful this is to you cos I don't, only you that experience this sad ugly event knows the deep pain you feel, Yet God did not fail or abandon you, In time you will realize that, I can see you are still hurting and I pray for God to heal your heart and I also hope we can chat some more, maybe mail each other sometimes and speak on phone. I will call and write when I have ur email and phone nr. Hang in there bro , and I just wanna say I am sincerely sorry to hear about ur loss,
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by prodam(m): 10:02pm On Feb 24, 2012
chuksxp has done justice to the topic
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Feb 24, 2012
i am not an arbiter of the Bible. I have actually thought of this and from my reading of the bible, i think the Lord either allows the devil to harm you or not. don't forget that the devil is the lord of the earth but the footstool of God. in the case of Job, the devil admitted that the Lord wall of protection kept him(devil) from attacking Job.
In Egypt when God told Moses to tell the children of Isreal to rob the blood of a lamb in their door post so that when the angel of deat come to kill he will spare them. it shows that the angel of death and the devil moves around to kill to steal and to destroy but by His'(God) grace He kept us safe.
Job was only speaking from a grieving heart and that was what he knew. What happened to Job was later revealed to other people who now put it in print.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Feb 24, 2012
I am of the believe that we have been programed! If we have been programed by our creator out choices are no longer ours neither do the free will so much believe in are ours. If I remember vividly the story of pharaoh, God said to Moses that he should go and talk to Pharaoh but then that He will hardened Pharaoh's heart such that he will not let go the children of Israel so that He ( God) will strike the Egyptians with terrible punishment so that they will know that He is the living Lord. Which means the essence of doing that was to prove a point.

Also if the Bible made us to understand that before we were given birth to God has already know what awaits us and what our fate will be. Also based on the Bible account all this happens to the glory of God. Based on these, we could infer that whatever happens to us have been programed before hand to fit God's plan for man and not man's plan for man himself. This may sound so harsh and mean, but then another example came to mind; that of Judas. Judas did nothing wrong by betraying Christ, the Bible said that when Christ asked Judas what he was waiting for, the evil spirit took over Judas and he set out to betray Christ. Even the Bible recorded about the one to betray Christ years before Judas was given birth to.

In summary, whatever happens to us, whether He allows the devil to take or He does it Himself, the bottom line is, we have been programmed, the choice we think we make are not really ours. Since He has a purpose for us and things have to work out the way He plans it so has to fulfill His words and purpose for mankind.

Some people may see it has God being mean, personally I really do not see it that way. Because if I have a plan for the things I called mine am sure I shall do unto them how I pleased so as to achieve the purpose of having them in a place in the first place without recourse to how they felt about it. Yeah we get pained when somethings happen but then it is not in our place to decide what should and shouldn't.
Re: The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh? by nikky5(m): 10:56pm On Feb 24, 2012
Job loss is not the end of life.when I lost my lecturing job over a decade ago in Borno state I thought that God hated me.But no.Today am self employed and I remain grateful for all the achievements I have made.Now I know He loves me more than I ever imagine or think.In every situation we should learn to thank and praise Him.Without Him we are nothing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Covenant Christian Center Members Meet Here / Why Many Prayers Are Returned To The Prayer Himself, It's Funny / Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.