Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,943 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

328 Medical Students Sue Unijos - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos (6438 Views)

Medical Students Protest, Lock UNILAG Gate (Photos) / Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m / UNIJOS Admission List Released! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by Nobody: 9:55pm On Feb 23, 2012
A total of 328 medical students dropped by the University of Jos have sued the institution for alleged unjust rejection.

The students are contesting the decision of the university to drop their names from the list of 478 students admitted for 2008/2009 academic session.

The authorities of the university had admitted medical students in excess of the quota allowed by the Medical and Dental Council, necessitating the withdrawal of its accreditation.

The authorities conducted an examination in January 2010 to screen the students admitted and only 150 were retained in a bid to keep its accreditation.

When the case came up for hearing at the Federal High Court Jos on Thursday, Mr. Sunday Obende, the counsel to the students, told said they were unjustly denied the opportunity to continue with their academic pursuits.

Obende prayed the court to compel the university authorities to allow them to continue with their studies as undergraduates in medicine.

The counsel to the university, Mr. Ninnan Denden, however, objected to the submissions, saying that the screening was done in line with the rules guiding the course.

“Dropping the students became the only option for the university authorities when the Medical and Dental Council withdrew the accreditation in December 2010.

“The Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria withdrew the accreditation it issued to the university for the simple reason that it admitted beyond 150 students required of all the Nigerian universities.”

Dende said the university had given the affected students an option to choose courses from the other departments and continue with their academic pursuits.

Contrary to the argument of the students that their admission preceded the council’s decision, Dende said the university flouted the council’s regulation in force since 2005.

He said that the council in 2010, “descended on the university with a sledge hammer“ to force compliance.

The judge, Justice Ambrose Allagoah, assured the parties in dispute that the court would accelerate the hearing, provided the two counsel eschewed delays.

The judge noted that the semester examinations were approaching and adjourned the case to March 21 for further hearing.(NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/02/328-medical-students-sue-unijos-for-rejecting-them/
Re: 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by Johnsinia(m): 11:39pm On Feb 23, 2012
Hmmmn
Re: 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by bulksms247(m): 11:12am On Feb 24, 2012
Thunder fire them there, didn't they know the maximum number of students required for the course why did they give all of them admission and now drops them. Impossible. Let the school pay each of the students 2million naira each if they must drop them, what a nonsense
Re: 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by mkmyers45(m): 1:03pm On Feb 24, 2012
bulksms247:

Thunder fire them there, didn't they know the maximum number of students required for the course why did they give all of them admission and now drops them. Impossible. Let the school pay each of the students 2million naira each if they must drop them, what a nonsense

I'm with you, why disappoint when you know they are rules to be kept??
Re: 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by Nobody: 1:19pm On Feb 24, 2012
bulksms247:

It should be up to 5M if they cannot take them back for Medicine.The VC ran to Abuja and he is hiding there with his wife.Even N10K we paid for Development did not achieve anything. Criminals in offices!
Re: 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by McboG: 3:48pm On Feb 24, 2012
I know a number of persons who found themselves on the wrong side of the screening exercise, one or two are close friends and i can tell you that some of them sunk into spells of inconsolable depression.

However, that development occurred sometime last session and i was made to understand that possibly all the affected students were reassigned to other faculties of their own choosing.

A new session began last year, first semester exams have been scheduled for early/mid April in fact; most of the displaced students appear to have accepted their fate and gotten on with their academics in their new departments. So, ain't the lawsuit thingy rather belated?

I cannot help but wonder what remedy could possibly be available to these students. Reinstatement may be considered impractical as it would cost the department its licence. Some sort of pecuniary compensation perhaps?

Situations like this are almost impossible to fix
to everyone's taste. The school should've done the right thing from the very start. Regrettably, the school administration have repeatedly shown an unwillingness to apply reason even in the simplest of decisions.
Re: 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by Sirbarno: 4:44pm On Feb 24, 2012
hey y una blood dey hot. D same thn hapen 2 me n universty of abuja i was n 400l chm.engr nd letr hard dat d courz s nt accrditd anylngr.tak anycour givn 2 u by faith.am doin great n my new dept nw.d schl wil nt do anythn abt it peace.
Re: 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by Nobody: 9:25pm On Feb 24, 2012
Sirbarno:

hey y una blood dey hot. D same thn hapen 2 me n universty of abuja i was n 400l chm.engr nd letr hard dat d courz s nt accrditd anylngr.tak anycour givn 2 u by faith.am doin great n my new dept nw.d schl wil nt do anythn abt it peace.
Your write up is just too ugly,
Re: 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by dgr8test: 9:31pm On Feb 24, 2012
The affected students need to be compensated, unijos should not have admitted them into medicine when they are fully aware they are not complying with their accreditation guideline. I wonder how some of them would overcome the psychological trauma.  
Re: 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by Harbb: 10:07pm On Feb 24, 2012
Sirbarno:

You mean you were in 400level Chemical Engineering with this kind of irritating writing? Please get away from this kind of ugly writing.
Re: 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by GboyegaD(m): 12:33am On Feb 25, 2012
It is not the student's fault that the school admitted more than its quota. what the school can do in this case if they are sincere is to batch them into groups and then have year 4A, 4B and 4C and they should not enroll new students into the department until all backlogs are cleared. Whoever who cannot wait until his/her time can be allowed to change course. That way, both students and the administration would have made sacrifice though that may imply students studying medicine loosing 2years.

1 Like

Re: 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by ssii: 7:43pm On Feb 25, 2012
The problem of over-admission. Despite all the warnings from the accrediting body. The bottom line is corruption. They just do not know when to say no, any body that brings a note or recommendation letter from highly placed persons is accepted whether they qualify or not. Ofcourse, these favours will be repayed in other ways. Besides that every lecturer and every doctor 's child wants to be a doctor so they give special preference and try to admit as many of them as possible.
Re: 328 Medical Students Sue Unijos by jidesp(m): 1:24am On Feb 26, 2012
?

(1) (Reply)

University Of Uyo(uniuyo) JAMB Cut Off Marks For 2016/2017 Session / Which Nigerian University Has The Fastest And Cheapest Masters Program / Oau Predegree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.