Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,403 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? (4624 Views)

The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / The Game He Lost (A Novel). / Would You Buy A Book Written In Pidgin English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Mar 17, 2012
Bleep NO!!! It's good english or nothing, absolutely nothing, at all!
_
And @OP, are you trying to limit the sales to Nigeria? That's a BAD move. Think, if Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, and Chimamanda Adichie wrote their books in that disgusting, illiterates' language, would they have recieved the international acclaim they have now?
_
Imo, anybody speaking or promoting that . . . that . . . thing, should be taken out back and shot!
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by jidewin(m): 12:38pm On Mar 17, 2012
Pidgin is actually good.Like I do on many occasions on nairaland.if i have information i needed to pass across to readers and not wanting foreign visitors to understand (even on foreign blogs where Nigerians chat and meet to share information),rather than write in vernacular,i write it in pidgin and i've been having good responses.NO TRIBE IN NAIJA GO SAY E NO UNDERSTAND PIDGIN.Na our second official language be dat,PIDGIN ENGLISH 101.
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by dagboss(m): 12:58pm On Mar 17, 2012
Why not? If Pa Gabriel Okara's The Voice was accepted why not plain pidgin. His style of English in that book is even harder than Pidgin.
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by binigirl(f): 12:59pm On Mar 17, 2012
I am graduate of English and I know that writing a novel in pidgin is not a bad idea. Also i would love to read a novel written in pidgin...
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by daroz(m): 1:08pm On Mar 17, 2012
Poster, I will advice you not to waste ur time written such novel, it will be a failed project. The category of pple that really speaks the pigin english dont even read novel. Those are the likes of bus drivers/conductors, market men/women, brick layers, caperters and all other artisans. Whereas, those that read our local novel(such as secondary school students, undergraduates, unemployed graduates etc, very few employed) prefer to comunicate in good english rather than pigin. So they would find ur novel unappealing. For someone like me I read a new novel at least once a month(despite my tight schedule at times), but the last time I read a Nigerian or Afican indigenous novel was so many years ago, when I took English and literature as my elective course in my 100 & 200level. So do you now think if I should now decide to read an indeginous novel, I will now start considering the one written in pigin English, after tasting the high standard foreign ones written by the likes of John Gresham and Robert Ludlum, for instance?

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by daroz(m): 1:14pm On Mar 17, 2012
And for those trying to compare it with pigin English radio programmes like the ones done on Wazobia FM and co, dont forget that reading a novel is quite different from listening to radio. Even the stark illitrate aboki men are always listening to radio. But its takes more to pick a novel and read. A novel is not even like the complete sport magazine that an average bike man can even read on daily basis.
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by shilling(f): 1:29pm On Mar 17, 2012
Depends on the plot!
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by binigirl(f): 1:35pm On Mar 17, 2012
Yes, why not...
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by felifeli: 1:47pm On Mar 17, 2012
Who are your audience ? Do they read ? Speaking pidgin English is not the same as reading pidgin English. It is too hard to read especially since many words tend to be created as you fancy and you may need to interprete yourself as you go along. A short story in pidgin ? maybe . A full length novel in pidgin ? Don't waste your time.
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by kcjazz(m): 2:12pm On Mar 17, 2012
For me the issue is not whether it is English or pidgin, it is actually the poor reading culture. Plus you limit your market to the local Nigerian market; no Booker Prize and chances for an international publisher to publish and expand your market is limited. However, if you can add illustrations and make it a cartoon novel I think you might have a market with good publicity.
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by ZUBY77(m): 2:53pm On Mar 17, 2012
Unless basket mouth or I go die will be reading it for me.
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by rezzy: 3:47pm On Mar 17, 2012
No. Wont buy it because i cant really read it. Its too hard to read and understand. But i can speak it and pieces it
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by kakakibuy(m): 5:00pm On Mar 17, 2012
maclatunji:

http://www.wazobiafm.com/stream.html Wazobia fm 95.1

The hottest radio station in Lagos and by extension Nigeria. tongue

Naija fm 102.7 http://naija102.com/index.php/multimedia/listen-live

Thanks a lot..
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by hunsu: 6:08pm On Mar 17, 2012
@ekitikan,thanks 4 ur advice,i thought onces from a place,is not of that place.wise up man
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by slimyem: 7:04pm On Mar 17, 2012
reading pidgin is fccking difficult!
I'd pass on the offer and read a book written in yoruba instead.
Even here on NL,i skip pidgin posts especially idumagbogbotigbo's post.
Bottomline,count me out!
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 17, 2012
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by seyibrown(f): 8:24pm On Mar 17, 2012
I'll buy!
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Mar 17, 2012
The thought of a book in pidgin is actually fun but in reality it will not be a very wonderful idea cos most people that spk pidgin all the time cant even read and write in English which they would prefer to learn first. And 4 someone like me, reading such a book will be last on my list of academic, spiritual books,newspapers, magazines even T.v. Reading such a book will occur if every item on my list is exhausted and i am extra bored and out of all available alternatives (where the rest are not available). Anyways I'm just tryin 2 give u my own opinion. Stay blessed. (Have u written a bk in English language b4?)
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by edupedia: 11:24pm On Mar 17, 2012
nice idea...but most likely an unprofitable project...
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by prettyboi1(m): 11:55pm On Mar 17, 2012
sun_temi:

Abeg free story jare. Pikin is ours so I care less about what they think of it.

True story my brother, I don't give a shiiiiitttt what any foreigner thinks, pidgin is ours & I'm a proud Nigerian,I would speak it anywhere....In fact,intentionally sometimes when I talk to foreigners I speak pidgin just so they feel my side of national existence & if they dont/cant figure it out its their business. Jamaicans speak their patua & everyone thinks it's cool,only Nigerians would always be having inferiority complex about their own things.

@Op....go ahead & write great stories in pidgin if you like,lots of people would read it. I write poems in my spare time & post on my blog & recently,I've been thinking about also writing poems in pidgin too.
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by mailano: 3:24am On Mar 18, 2012
DO YOU WISH TO WORK IN QATAR HERE IS YOUR IS THE CHANCE.THE QATAR CONSTRUCTION COMPANY ARE HERE IN NIGERIA IN SEARCH OF MANPOWER TO WORK IN THEIR FIRM IN QATAR WITH HIGH PAY ATRACTIVE SALARY. CALL US ON +2348165027376 PRINCIPAL
CONSTRUCTION
ACTIVITIES »
Qatar Building Company
offers expertise and
... market know-how not
only in pure construction
work, but also in
construction techniques.
Its record in
construction includes:
Road & Airfield Paving
Pipeline
Buildings
Sewage treatment plants
Pumping stations
Cable Laying call us on +2348165027376
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by darqly(m): 8:28am On Mar 18, 2012
Sorry. I'd never buy a novel written in pidgin.
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by Flygeriana(m): 9:55am On Mar 18, 2012
Ya, why not?
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by kemmeye: 3:51pm On Mar 18, 2012
im trying to build my english not chop it into pieces
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by bokohalal1: 4:34pm On Mar 18, 2012
It all depends on your targeted readership, in 2004, I once read a novel about the Biafran war written by Ken Saro-Wiwa titled "Sozaboy: A Novel in Rotten English", one of my most entertaining and informative books about the Biafran war. Actually, I had to read it all over again after finishing it to repeat the wonderful experience.
You can't tell, you might end up carving a literary niche for yourself. Yes, you might strongly be rejected by many and accepted by some as well, but your creativity, literary approach and persistence will put you in the class of the giants.

Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by cynthiafred67(f): 5:07pm On Mar 18, 2012
Why not? If the book sweet then count me in. grin
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by mrjingles(m): 11:51am On Mar 19, 2012
There's a good novel in pidgin, its titled "Soza Boy-A Novel in Rotten English" by Ken Saro-Wiwa.Great book and full of laughs.
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by afroxyz: 11:26pm On Mar 20, 2012
Thanks. I feel if we speak and sing in english why not write it. We have TV stations and radio houses that broadcast in pidgin. Personally, i have found out that i am able to create scenes, characters and flow better in pidgin english. I also write in english, but it is reserved to non-fiction cos thatz my forte. But when it comes to fiction, i am able to relate better in pidgin. Lets promote our own. Thanks for your comments and criticisms.
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by malaria(f): 2:12pm On Mar 21, 2012
Igbo,english,pidgin .i dy kamkpe.
Re: Would You Buy A Novel Written In Pidgin? by zubike01(m): 6:25pm On Jan 16, 2013
Sure if your story is good and you market it well people would buy it. After-all Ken Saro wiwa has a book written in rotten English "Sozaboy". He described rotten English as a mixture of pidgin and plain English ignoring the rules of grammar. You just have to make sure you don't use too much slang's cause warri pidgin would be difficult for most people to understand. I use pidgin in my written also but mainly in dialogue as shown below.

Then he paused and looked at my eyes which were blood red and laughed saying in Pidgin English, [size=20pt]"O boy you don high."[/size] He was making a jest over the fact that I was intoxicated then he continued, “Promise me that if I die in this game you would tell your children about me, tell them how intimidation and revenge made me whom I am today. Skip all the dirty parts and tell them how I saved you from trouble severally, tell them how no one could tamper with you because you were my friend, tell them I died a hero and my spirit dwells in Valhalla, a place where all great warriors go. Tell them that I am brewing (drinking) from Mimir, the fountain of wisdom with the gods.” Then he growled like a wolf. I said to him, “You will stay alive! Friend, stop talking about death.” He looked at me and said, “You are a Christian and you believe in heaven right? If you don't die, how do you expect to get to heaven? I believe in Valhalla and you need to die in battle before you get there, so promise me friend!” I replied, trembling in fear, “I will tell not just my children, but the world,” then he walked out happy. Extracted from "Don'T Join" http://www.jollyrougeseries.com/?page_id=25

(1) (2) (Reply)

If I Were A Girl 18+ / Is It That Authors Are No Longer Interested In Children's Literature?? / SAPPHIRE By Mercy Oluwafunmito Adebisi (A Christian Story You Need To Read.)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.