Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,712 members, 7,824,022 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Whats Your Thought On Vocational Education In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Whats Your Thought On Vocational Education In Nigeria? (3744 Views)

Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University / Vocational Education / We Need Vocational Secondary Schools In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats Your Thought On Vocational Education In Nigeria? by whaithee(m): 2:58pm On Feb 26, 2012
It really gives me concern seeing Nigerian graduates roaming the street in search of white-collar jobs that are not even there. Now see how bank workers are retrenched lately.
It's unfortunate how we've bought over the idea of traditional learning as the only acceptable form of education. Countries like Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Scandinavian and most other developed countries hold vocational education on high esteem. But here in Nigeria Vocational training is rated as second class.
What do you think of the state of vocational education in Nigeria?
Re: Whats Your Thought On Vocational Education In Nigeria? by youngdee168(m): 2:09pm On Feb 28, 2012
Vocational education would go a long way in fighting the unemployment trend in the country if properly implemented and executed.
Re: Whats Your Thought On Vocational Education In Nigeria? by maclatunji: 2:14pm On Feb 28, 2012
I think those with vocational skills are taking care of themselves, whilst those with degrees and similar qualifications are also hustling. It is not a matter of the state anymore, it is about you the individual. I can say that things are gradually changing, at least I am involved in a project that is aimed at bringing photography and photographers to the fore. You can read this interview: http://nigeriatop.com/beta/menu-showcase/newsflash/1625-the-interview-with-tap-first-prize-winner.html

The guy is an undergraduate studying Accounting and looks set to become a "big boy" in photography- things are gradually changing.
Re: Whats Your Thought On Vocational Education In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 2:39pm On Feb 28, 2012
but then again there's no standard, even with vocational education

it's not being supported by industry, the curriculum is mostly down to the Oga, theres no minimum skill set to be met by the apprentice
Re: Whats Your Thought On Vocational Education In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Feb 28, 2012
It's a welcome idea, really.

Gone are those days when skill aquisition was primarily left for the unlearned. We all are in it, together now, but with alot more creativity and difference.
Re: Whats Your Thought On Vocational Education In Nigeria? by iebelieve(m): 3:39pm On Feb 28, 2012
I think being self empowered is the key to reducing unemployment, as it is, the ministry of education recently, starting from January 2012 with SS1 students included COMPULSORY 34 vocational courses to the curriculum and mandated schools to pick a minimum of 3 of these courses and to be offered as compulsory subjects, this implies that every student leaving secondary school in the next 2years must have learnt atleast 3vocational courses and can do something worthwhile while in school, after school or when still waiting for admission, this is a welcome development even though the govt has shifted the burden to the school onwers to bear. With every Nigerian child having a skill or vocation,chances are that there will be drastic reduction: in the number of students seeking admission into higher institution at the same time,crime rate and joblesness,
Any one/teacher or school in need of the new curriculum and vocational course guide,seminar outline and implementation guide from the ministry of education should pls contact GENIUS SKROOL CONSULT via email:geniusskroolconsult@gmail.com or call 0809 375 9013.
Thank you.
Re: Whats Your Thought On Vocational Education In Nigeria? by JimmyBoy1: 3:42pm On Feb 28, 2012
This is where are missing it, I missed an opportunity to learn how to repair aintain Note Counting machines, because I felt it wasnt cool since I was already training as an Accountant. I later worked in a place where I saw the technician who  repairs note counters being paid heavily while I was totally dissatisfied with my own salary.

However, I must say that the orientation is gradually changing, bankers now going for training in Fashion Designing etc. Vocational skill is a way of ensuring that you never lack regular source of income, especially in Nigeria were there are no social safety nets at the event of Job loss.
Re: Whats Your Thought On Vocational Education In Nigeria? by kukute: 10:39pm On Feb 28, 2012
Graduate unemployment is really getting out of hand in this country. Estimates have it that 50% of graduates currently doing their NYSC are unlikely to get jobs in the next 3 years. Nigerian youth had better wise up to this reality. Vocational skills acquisition offers a veritable foundation for you to start your own business, earn an income and even become an employer of labour. One of the worst things we did to our educational system was the abandonment of the focused implementation of the 6-3-3-4 program.

You can check out www.fashionandartacademy.com for ideas on vocational skills acquisition in the creative industries.

Fashion and Art Academy is the vocational skills transfer arm of House of Henri which has trained over 2000 people. The fashion division of House of Henri won the Nigeria Best Fashion Designer for 2005/2006 of the Nigeria Fashion Show. Courses currently offered include training courses in Fashion Design, Bridals, Soft Furnishings and Interior Décor, Photography, Millinery, Jewelry Craft, Makeover Artistry and Events Decor. The courses take a highly practical approach, focusing on extensive hands on exercises by students. The method breaks down sometimes difficult concepts into easy to learn steps bringing the student up to speed
Re: Whats Your Thought On Vocational Education In Nigeria? by Isabella8688: 9:03am On Feb 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your post.

Re: Whats Your Thought On Vocational Education In Nigeria? by whaithee(m): 1:17pm On Mar 14, 2012
Dis Guy: but then again there's no standard, even with vocational education

it's not being supported by industry, the curriculum is mostly down to the Oga, there's no minimum skill set to be met by the apprentice
Notwithstanding, there are privately funded VET schools with equipped training centers, though they are often more expensive but not as 4 to 5years in higher institution.

(1) (Reply)

How To Write A Research Proposal / . / 2012 Jamb Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.