Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,228 members, 7,815,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country (1892 Views)

Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND / Nigeria Cannot Survive Without The Igbos By Femi Aribisala / Lagbaja On Doyin Okupe's Comment On Why Nigeria Cannot Get New Trains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by auwal87(m): 9:00am On Feb 27, 2012
The dream of most 'one Nigerians' is that the country will one day become secular where religion will not play any role in the issue of leadership. But the truth is, Nigeria is the most religious tense country in Africa, both Muslims and Christians regards their religion with highest esteem, and are willing to die for their religion. Even though some circles of 'secular Nigerians' exist, you cannot compare to the larger number. In any democratic setting, election is regarded as the way leaders emerge, Nigeria is not exception except the difference being the electorates are more selective in terms of religion first, then ethnicity, after which they come to the issue of credibility. The continuous existence of one Nigeria as a so called 'secular' country is only a 'pretension' by the ruling elites of which are of course united in 'looting' without any religious or ethnic differences. But fact is, even if all Nigerians will be as rich as Dangote, religion and ethnicity will always be the foremost factor in differentiating the larger electorate base.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by Lasinoh: 10:37am On Feb 27, 2012
Very badly constructed.
Your poor grammar and diction obscure whatever points you are trying to project.
Did you just discover the word 'secular'?

Just sayin' . . . . . wink
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 27, 2012
Na wa, so u heard d diction frm the stmt. I laugh in 'diction'. Abeg stop abusing d english language. Correct yaself before u start correcting others
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by Beaf: 11:44am On Feb 27, 2012
@auwal87
You have misunderstood the meaning of the word, secular.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by Lasinoh: 1:54pm On Feb 27, 2012
All these 'Abrooose Ali Okada Village' University drop-outs sef huh? grin

http://www.yourdictionary.com/diction

1.manner of expression in words; choice of words; wording
2.manner of speaking or singing; enunciation

Anyway, all na 'secular'! cheesy
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by mkmyers45(m): 2:05pm On Feb 27, 2012
I think the aim of the post is defeated by the poor construction structure, I can barely get the point undecided
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by mkmyers45(m): 2:11pm On Feb 27, 2012
@OP try to re-phrase please,
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by nku5: 2:17pm On Feb 27, 2012
@ op- I am a xtian and I can die for my faith, however I cannot kill for my faith because I am not given such orders in my bible. This country can be a secular state if proponents of islam separate politics from their faith.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by Kobojunkie: 2:23pm On Feb 27, 2012
@Poster, after reading your post there, I have only one question for you, what exactly are you afraid of? Nigeria happens to be a very good example of a country that will gain a tremendous amount of freedom ,and control of radical elements, from secularism.
Your explanation above, I don't buy at all so, please , what are you afraid of?
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by Jakumo(m): 2:31pm On Feb 27, 2012
auwal87:

Electorates are more selective in terms of religion first, then ethnicity, after which they come to the issue of credibility.

The continuous existence of one Nigeria as a so called 'secular' country is only a 'pretension' by the ruling elites of which are of course united in 'looting' without any religious or ethnic differences.

But fact is, even if all Nigerians will be as rich as Dangote, religion and ethnicity will always be the foremost factor in differentiating the larger electorate base.

Good observations Auwa, but the essential fairness and social balance inherent in secular democracies still makes them far preferable to any variant of theorcracy, no matter how seemingly benign they may strive to appear before the eyes of the outside world.

Secularity, therefore is an ideal eminently worthy of striving towards, given its fundamental insistence on the separation of church and state.   Of paramount importance too, the international community accords far greater respect to secular democracies than to any power structures based on religious faith, since the former are far more likely to embrace human rights protocol than the latter.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by naijaking1: 2:38pm On Feb 27, 2012
@poster
How about, The Federal Christian Republic of Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by Dede1(m): 3:09pm On Feb 27, 2012
;d
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by Dede1(m): 3:09pm On Feb 27, 2012
;d
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by Dede1(m): 3:10pm On Feb 27, 2012
;d
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by Dede1(m): 3:14pm On Feb 27, 2012
Most of the people who have responded to OP have displayed the typical Nigerian attitude of attacking the messenger in a bid to kill the message. It is even funnier when Nigerians attempt to inject the sense of democracy into argument to support the pranks they claim to be democracy in their country.

Whether the poster is an English man or a stakeholder in Webster dictionary, he or she has just reiterated what many of us believed that the idea of One-Nigeria is a misguided approach and big farce.

It is good to known that a supposedly Muslim and from northern region of Nigeria is saying that the idea of One-Nigeria is a mockery.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by SamIkenna: 3:30pm On Feb 27, 2012
I understood his point and that's what matters.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by Nobody: 4:53pm On Feb 27, 2012
nku5:

@ op- I am a xtian and I can die for my faith, however I cannot kill for my faith because I am not given such orders in my bible. This country can be a secular state if proponents of islam separate politics from their faith.

Bros, the ugly & bitter truth, is that Islam will never be seperated from politics.
Another ugly fact is that islam will never reform; her crude way of worship n justice is what makes it islam.
Eg: "justice" for a moslem who converts to another religion is death by stoning.

We are really wasting our time. Let us sit down and negotiate now or the blood will continue to flow.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by auwal87(m): 6:56pm On Mar 04, 2012
Lasinoh:

Very badly constructed.
Your poor grammar and diction obscure whatever points you are trying to project.
Did you just discover the word 'secular'?

Just sayin' . . . . . wink

Beaf:

@auwal87
You have misunderstood the meaning of the word, secular.

mkmyers45:

I think the aim of the post is defeated by the poor construction structure, I can barely get the point undecided

mkmyers45:

@OP try to re-phrase please,

A secular state is a concept of secularism, whereby a state or country purports to be officially neutral in matters of religion, supporting neither religion nor irreligion. A secular state also claims to treat all its citizens equally regardless of religion, and claims to avoid preferential treatment for a citizen from a particular religion/nonreligion over other religions/nonreligion. Secular states do not have a state religion or equivalent, although the absence of a state religion does not guarantee that a state is secular. In addition, secular states are not necessarily communist nations enforcing state atheism on the population by way of religious censorship and persecution. [from wikipedia.org]

The message is clear, some people, especially people with the 'one Nigeria' mentality are trying to regard the country as 'officially neutral in matters of religion'.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by ojogbontomoye: 7:09pm On Mar 04, 2012
auwal87:

A secular state is a concept of secularism, whereby a state or country purports to be officially neutral in matters of religion, supporting neither religion nor irreligion. A secular state also claims to treat all its citizens equally regardless of religion, and claims to avoid preferential treatment for a citizen from a particular religion/nonreligion over other religions/nonreligion. Secular states do not have a state religion or equivalent, although the absence of a state religion does not guarantee that a state is secular. In addition, secular states are not necessarily communist nations enforcing state atheism on the population by way of religious censorship and persecution. [from wikipedia.org]

The message is clear, some people, especially people with the 'one Nigeria' mentality are trying to regard the country as 'officially neutral in matters of religion'.

There is something fundamentally wrong with your education if you have to resort to Wikipedia to defend your point. The issue here is that your grasp of the Queen's English is poor, and at best rudimentary. My 5 yr old nephew can do way better than you. I don't know what your problem really is, comprehension vs. articulation. Whatever it is, please, and for the sake of everything English, get your acts together. Secular ko, circular ni.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by auwal87(m): 8:45pm On Mar 04, 2012
ojogbontomoye:

There is something fundamentally wrong with your education if you have to resort to Wikipedia to defend your point. The issue here is that your grasp of the Queen's English is poor, and at best rudimentary. My 5 yr old nephew can do way better than you. I don't know what your problem really is, comprehension vs. articulation. Whatever it is, please, and for the sake of everything English, get your acts together. Secular ko, circular ni.

oya mr. English man! The wiki was to explain 'secularism' to those who think it doesn't even exist. I am not writing an english test here, so get the point or keep your dirty mouth shut!
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by auwal87(m): 8:54pm On Mar 04, 2012
People with good IQ will land at the conclusion immediately.

Since Nigeria cannot be a secular state, it can neither be an Islamic nor a Christian state, therefore it must be disintegrated for peace to reign. Because its people are religious, most religious in Africa.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by auwal87(m): 8:58pm On Mar 04, 2012
Dede1:

Most of the people who have responded to OP have displayed the typical Nigerian attitude of attacking the messenger in a bid to kill the message. It is even funnier when Nigerians attempt to inject the sense of democracy into argument to support the pranks they claim to be democracy in their country.

Whether the poster is an English man or a stakeholder in Webster dictionary, he or she has just reiterated what many of us believed that the idea of One-Nigeria is a misguided approach and big farce.

It is good to known that a supposedly Muslim and from northern region of Nigeria is saying that the idea of One-Nigeria is a mockery.  

Please tell them I didn't post here to pass an English grammar test.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by auwal87(m): 8:59pm On Mar 04, 2012
naijaking1:

@poster
How about, The Federal Christian Republic of Nigeria

Nice try
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by auwal87(m): 9:07pm On Mar 04, 2012
Jakumo:

Good observations Auwa, but the essential fairness and social balance inherent in secular democracies still makes them far preferable to any variant of theorcracy, no matter how seemingly benign they may strive to appear before the eyes of the outside world.

Secularity, therefore is an ideal eminently worthy of striving towards, given its fundamental insistence on the separation of church and state.   Of paramount importance too, the international community accords far greater respect to secular democracies than to any power structures based on religious faith, since the former are far more likely to embrace human rights protocol than the latter.  

The path towards secularism can be attained gradually not instantly, it has to be nurtured from the grassroots, the point at which the people's belief presently is highly unattainable or very unfair to disconnect state with religion. One example, Nigeria hosts Hajj Operations every year, it is the same with Christians going to Jerusalem for Pilgrimage. Another example, Sanusi created a framework for Islamic Banking, and look at the reaction of Christians, especially the CAN leadership which is shameful.

So before trying to disconnect people from their beliefs you have to consider the possible consequences, like the Boko Haram, it is a big example of Nigeria's road to secularism.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by auwal87(m): 9:13pm On Mar 04, 2012
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, after reading your post there, I have only one question for you, what exactly are you afraid of? Nigeria happens to be a very good example of a country that will gain a tremendous amount of freedom ,and control of radical elements, from secularism.
Your explanation above, I don't buy at all so, please , what are you afraid of?

In the case of Nigeria, Secularism means,

Christians putting Christianity aside on all political matters
Muslims putting Islam aside on all political matters

If the above is correct, then my point or rather topic is how possible is that? In my views it is not possible. The two are also clearly not compatible politically, therefore, only one reign over the other. Decide,
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by kodewrita(m): 9:49pm On Mar 04, 2012
It is secular and will always be. Whether you like it or not.

Pushing religion down every man's throat is not my idea of freedom. And it should not be the idea of any same man.

Our laws can be partly motivated by our values. And our values can be motivated by our religions. But or laws must not be directly dictated by religion.

That is the nigeria you live in.

Disgruntled souls can throw bombs till kingdom come, it won't change a thing
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by auwal87(m): 9:52am On Mar 05, 2012
kodewrita:

It is secular and will always be. Whether you like it or not.

Pushing religion down every man's throat is not my idea of freedom. And it should not be the idea of any same man.

Our laws can be partly motivated by our values. And our values can be motivated by our religions. But or laws must not be directly dictated by religion.

That is the nigeria you live in.

Disgruntled souls can throw bombs till kingdom come, it won't change a thing

Do we have any values?
Values differ from all sides of the country, what is considered good in South might be considered evil in the North.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Be A Secular Country by kodewrita(m): 11:02am On Mar 05, 2012
auwal87:

Do we have any values?
Values differ from all sides of the country, what is considered good in South might be considered evil in the North.

we all detest adultery.

we all detest corruption and corrupt officials.

we all detest lying tradesmen.

we all fear armed robbers.

we all want an end to fuel queues.

we have more things in common than the differences we have.

its the misguided lot on both sides that are causing all the crises.

(1) (Reply)

Mend To Embark On Crusade To Save Christians / Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? / 78-year-old Kenyan Granny Starts Primary School (inspiring pictures included)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.