Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,054 members, 7,956,936 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:04 PM

Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? (1921 Views)

Abike Dabiri's Reply To A Nigerian In The Diaspora On Twitter (pics) / Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos / Alcohol Consumers In Akwa-Ibom To Pay Taxes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? by TRUTHTELA: 4:38pm On Apr 17, 2013
It's known that US citizens pay their taxes while living abroad and as a U.S citizen, you have no escape route. YOU MUST PAY YOUR TAXES, one way or the other.

So, how come Nigeria citizens abroad don't pay their own taxes to the Nigerian government, or even file their taxes to prove that they've paid their own fair share of tax in their country of residence?
Re: Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? by MajeOfficial: 5:37pm On Apr 17, 2013
You ask as if Nigerians in Nigeria pay taxes.

3 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? by RichDad1(m): 5:48pm On Apr 17, 2013
After dem don sleep for embassy for years and God con grant them visa? See,some of them don renounce their citizenship immediately dem board plane.But Seriously,if the government demand and they(diasporee grin grin grin grin) deicded not to pay,what can they(Government) do? ask the foreign govts to deport them? i laugh in Swahili cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? by MajeOfficial: 5:49pm On Apr 17, 2013
Which embassy hired God?
Re: Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Apr 17, 2013
@OP
if i am not mistaking, the US is the only country that demands that their citizens pay taxes regardless of where they live. I certainly know for a fact that in France we dont have to pay taxes if we dont live on the territory, and should only pay taxes to the government wherever we work.

so the important question is> why do you think that Nigeria should copy what the US does and not other governement?
Re: Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? by OmoTier1(m): 9:49pm On Apr 17, 2013
[size=18pt]GOD FORBID BAD THING chei.. me pay taxes to clowns? [/size] my pounds is to the queen wink
Re: Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? by OmoTier1(m): 9:52pm On Apr 17, 2013
TRUTHTELA: It's known that US citizens pay their taxes while living abroad and as a U.S citizen, you have no escape route. YOU MUST PAY YOUR TAXES, one way or the other.

So, how come Nigeria citizens abroad don't pay their own taxes to the Nigerian government, or even file their taxes to prove that they've paid their own fair share of tax in their country of residence?
Pay taxes to those whose blood is cursed? You saw the Boston bombing... did you hear anyone come out to tell the people "We are on top of the situation" ... or "we need to pray more" Still you want me to pay tax to one clown whose son has a stomach like that of pregnant chimpanzee sad
Re: Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? by LFJ: 10:07pm On Apr 17, 2013
We need to know how US tax work before we start to make comparison. First, we don't have strong law that guide our tax system in Nigeria; secondly, in US, if you leave outside you are required to file tax return, and when you are doing this any tax you paid to the government of other country will be deductible as foreign tax credit. This means if you are to pay tax of $3,000 and you have paid like $2,000 to Nigeria government because you leave and derive your income from Nigeria, you will only pay $1,000 to US government.
Re: Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? by Pataki: 10:15pm On Apr 17, 2013
Pay tax to thieves, liars and looters in government? No thanks.
Re: Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? by VoodooDoll(m): 10:17pm On Apr 17, 2013
Isn't Nigeria's tax system based on residency? Nigerians in diaspora are not resident in Nigeria or earning money in Nigeria hence no income tax liability to Nigeria.
Re: Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? by IGBOSON1: 12:23am On Apr 18, 2013
Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves just a little bit?

I think we should first ask if Nigerians at home pay their taxes as and when due, before asking Nigerians in diaspora for their own contribution (majority of whom probably got nothing or next to nothing by way of good governance and dividends of democracy before fleeing the country in frustration). Besides, i reckon that the $21 Billion they remit back home annually is more than enough, don't you think?

If you're looking for more tax revenue for the country, look no further than the top gov't officials, politicians, members of the national assembly, business moguls and jet-set pastors......you'd be amazed at the billions of $$$ you'd get just from that greedy lot!
Re: Do Nigerians In The Diaspora Pay Taxes To The Nigerian Government? by redsun(m): 12:33am On Apr 18, 2013
Americans pay tax because they have a system that relatively accounts for it. A system that gives back to them to a great extent. But nigerians primarily pay tax into the pocket of thieves. A system that is never there for her people.

But in what sense does Americans that lives and works abroad pay tax in America? Or are you talking of Americans that works with American interests abroad?

(1) (Reply)

I Cant Eat My Own Food- Ameachi / Most Southerns Has Hausa/fulani Blood In Them-maliga / Tuface Just Lost His Title Formal EFCC Boss Ribadu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.