Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,657 members, 7,816,686 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome (20056 Views)

Pastor Anita Oyakhilome Debuts New Look (Photo) / Kumuyi Offers To Resign Over Son's Wedding Controversy / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by ibidapko(m): 7:03am On Feb 29, 2012
MY TAKE IS THAT WE SHOULD REFER THIS SELF-SERVICE CONTROVERSY TO THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY?

AT LEAST IT WILL GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO DO. REMEMBER THE SAME-SEX MARRIAGE BILL?? THE LAW MAKERS REALLY ENJOYED THE DEBATE.
BUT WAS IT NOT OBVIOUS THAT THEY CONDEMED SAME-SEX MARRIAGE BECAUSE THEY WERE AFRAID THEIR HOMOSEXUAL LOVERS WILL USE THAT TO DEMAND FOR MARRIAGE COMMITMENTS!!
YOU WILL BE SURPRISED BY WHAT THEY WILL HAVE TO SAY ABOUT SELF SERVICE!
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by lonamy: 8:02am On Feb 29, 2012
FXKing2012:

I've neither heard the names of those pastors or even their churches before, are we sure those names were not made up?

@FXKing2012, you see the problem you have knowing these pastors is the way Christ Embassy is organised;
1. You must not read any other book except your pastor's book,
2. You must not listen to any other messages except your Pastor's message,
3. You must not preach any other pastor's message except listen to Pastor chris message and download it.
and so on and so forth.

So in a way you have been encaged or rather enslaved unknowingly or better put you are a lawful captive.
So you can't know these Pastors and because they don't advertise themselves, as Millions of dollars is spent in Christ Embassy on adverts through different media.

If you want to know them, bring yourself out of the cocoon, and free your mind.
Someone I know that left Christ Embassy to Winners, saw Pastor Adeboye preached, at winners shilo programme, for the first time in his life and he was amazed compare to the kind of teaching he thought, several years ago, was the best and no other Pastor is better preacher than Pastor Chris.

Pastor Chris is a good preacher, I concor, but he is going too hay-wire and needs to be corrected. How can he say Ma$turbation is not a sin with all the level of bible he knows and the presence of Holy Spirit around him. Jesus said I will pray the father that he might send you the Holy Spirit that will teach you all things. Jesus knew that the content of the bible will not be sufficient enough and that in a way there will be controversy on some issues,like this one we are talking about, that is why Holy Spirit was promised.

So if Holy Spirit is liveing in you, He will condemn you of your BAD and UNCLEAN habits. So the person that asked the question, may have been condemned in his spirit what he was doing and so Holy Spirit was in action there. So for a man of God, who believes and preaches so much on Holy Spirit, to have gone against what Holy Spirit condemned somebody several miles away, then Pastor must be going against the Holy Spirit himself.

I don't like talking in this way, especially when it involves men of God. But I think I will be commiting a sin if I know the truth and choose to be silent.

Whoever is reading this thread, and is very close to reach Pastor Chris, should please let him know what is going on here.

@JoAgbaje the veterian defender of Pastor Chris, you have not really commented on this topic, your input has been very passive and the bible quotation you said is a food for thought, you need to read the KJV and NIV versions of that quote, that guy was too far away from whatthe bible was saying there, please.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by daregold: 8:37am On Feb 29, 2012
Interesting comments by everyone. The Problem is not Pastor Chris teaching, the problem is that we have believers that do not read their bibles even the few that read do not obey what they read by giving themselves reasons for disobedience.

Matthew{5:28} But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
If that defiles a man, how much more the so called self-service.

He that has ears, let him hear what the Spirit of God is saying.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Nobody: 8:44am On Feb 29, 2012
This is the second time Pastor Chris will be enmeshed on the doctrin of sin. The first time was when he said if 2 saints commit sexual sin, it is holy sin !  I will recommend that Chris should  study SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY rather than all thses fake bible schools they go to if they attend any before starting ministry. His statement is a reflection of a un-informed pastor in the area of HAMARTIOLOGY (THE DOCTRIN OF SIN). There is no how you do self help service without imagining being with sex mate in fantasy, of course, sin start from the heart.

There is a difference between wet dream of puberty age and masturbation. Before someone masturbates, what was on his mind?
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by skillet(m): 8:58am On Feb 29, 2012
how many of those pastors blasting rev chris have neva masturbated? how many of them still cheat on their wives? how many of them keep looting the church of God? all of them shuld shut up their mouths.

pastor ayo asked christians to live by the sword in the north. he neva said they should rely on God to deliver them and nobody is saying anything becos so called christians are looking for revenge in the name of justice and self defence. and he called it survival of the fittest. is that what the Bible says about persecution? what has fitness got to do with a faith based religion like christianity?

who asked you lot to judge? you will be judged yourself by the same measures you judge others.
all of you, sorry all of us have masturbated and lusted at one time or the other, so what gives us the effontrey to castigate another man?

what gives you the right to know what is sin and what is not? what gives pastor chris the right to know what is sin and what is not? what or who gave pastor ayo the right to ask christians to bear arms?

he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone. if you try it, i will expose you.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by FXKing2012(m): 8:59am On Feb 29, 2012
goshen360:

If not any of them, haven't you heard of Latter Rain Assembly with Pastor Tunde Bakare? @ FXking2012.

Tunde Bakare is a politician, he can say anything to gain the support of the majority so I dont reckon with whatever opinion he's got.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by mabell: 9:04am On Feb 29, 2012
@ poster
who told you it was a pastor that asked the question?
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by EEngineer1(m): 10:31am On Feb 29, 2012
@freecocoa, e be like sey u dey do am wel wel, dis one u r vehemently defending d man
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Melinde: 11:10am On Feb 29, 2012
fitzkenny:

This is the second time Pastor Chris will be enmeshed on the doctrin of sin. The first time was when he said if 2 saints commit intimate sin, it is holy sin !  I will recommend that Chris should  study SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY rather than all thses fake bible schools they go to if they attend any before starting ministry. His statement is a reflection of a un-informed pastor in the area of HAMARTIOLOGY (THE DOCTRIN OF SIN). There is no how you do self help service without imagining being with sex mate in fantasy, of course, sin start from the heart.

There is a difference between wet dream of puberty age and self-service. Before someone self services, what was on his mind?

Gbam, !!!!   Let me ask all those people that are asking for the bible verse.  Don't you have conscience?
Every human being has conscience that will judge each and everyone of us. Let your conscience judge you if it is sin or not.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by mbaemeka(m): 11:37am On Feb 29, 2012
The level of hypocrisy amongst Christians is befuddling. Jeez! Did you listen to the message at all?

What is the Mans stand on Masturbation: that is unclean and a bad habit.

what is his verdict: that it shouldnt be endorsed.

what is prescribed therapy: Just stopping it. Getting hold more of your body. Bringing it to subjection of your spirit.

Is it a SIN: NO.

What the problem is? (intended lazy american english) grin grin

What is Gods stand on smoking: (errrrmm, i dont know but using my conscience i would say it is a SIN), i ask such a person are you OK?

Has God standard become subject to your conscience?

Are you aware that Adolph Hitler killed Jews on saturday and would be the first in Church the following day? Do you know why he could do that? yes you guessed right. It was because his CONSCIENCE approved it!

This isnt a matter of conscience or endorsement. It is plain and simple. IS IT A SIN? if yes, Please provide supporting scriptures let us learn. IF they dont exist.(and they dont) let it rest. You dont score points with God by telling people what SIN is or isnt. HYPOCRITES!

Many of you that are really against it are the lots that practise it the most. You based it as a reason why you are running away from God (afterall i'm sinning why should i go to church?) Gods word has told you- YOU CAN STOP IT, BUT GOD ISNT HOLDING IT AGAINST YOU!

so what does satan do? as usual, he fights the word, wrestles it out of weak hearts and supplants confusion and hypocrisy. Take a chill pill. Please.

AND as for which pastor endorsed what and what- it doesnt really count. Paul said "when he met the who and who from the first christians that most of messages added nothing to him. . . . for God doesnt judge people by who and who endorsed them (seriously paraphrasing)

Pastor Chris is a very balanced and bold teacher. He knew this would generate the controversy its generating but he still said the TRUTH. Theres no were in scripture that expressly or otherwise addresses masturbation as a SIN. let us not call a SIN what God hasnt.

Dont be guilty of the same hypocritical act the folks that wanted to mob the woman that was caught committing adultery were guilty of. Jesus didnt endorse her act but he didnt condemn her either. (Even though the case of Adultery is/was lucid and express in scripture as a SIN)

1 Like

Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by daviesmania(m): 12:38pm On Feb 29, 2012
Touch not my anointed & do my prophet no harm.  Bor iffiok.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by coderXO(m): 1:35pm On Feb 29, 2012
Don't take whatever is uttered by your pastor as fact.
Read your Bible or did he dare you ever disagree his teaching?

We need to be discerning Christians.
Hear and read the word and chew on it in our hearts and minds.

Let me give you common-sense Christianity.

i. If you are trying to look it up (whether or not it is a sin), it probably is.
ii. If you are trying to find justification of something you do (that you publicly wouldn't admit), don't it.

Simples!

Praise God.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Socratez20(m): 3:39pm On Feb 29, 2012
why is it dt we all knw d tuth n shy away from it, it is obvious even from natural reasoning dt self service is nt ryt, let alone a highly renowned gospel preacher sayin is nt a sin, to all dosee supportin him knw dt d BIBLE says in d book of Romans dt 'who knowing d judgement of GOD dt de wch do such tinz r worthy of death nt only do desame bt av pleasure in dem dt do dem'.Dnt follow d multitude to commit evil. Stay +ve alwas!
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Nobody: 8:56pm On Feb 29, 2012
Pls ma fellow brethren, we ar turning dis thread into argument. Pls read up 2 Tim 2:23 and Titus 3:9.
Let's jst pray dat God shud take control of this matter and open our eyez 2 knw d real truth,
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Amacaco: 11:12am On Mar 01, 2012
So what we are being told today is that any evil or wrong habit not specifically mentioned in the new testament by the name it is known is not sin. So every christian can now take cocaine, heroine, cigarettes, traffic in women and children, money laundering, and all such criminal activities all of which are repugnant to human mind simply because the Bible or New Testament did not say anything about it. I used to think that the work of the Holy Spirit is to bring us into the knowledge of all truth. The Spirit makes the letters of the Bible active and alive and brings us to appreciate the full meaning of God's word even in all generations. Let the Spirit of God direct us in our understanding of the bible instead of interpreting it like a Law Book or an Act of the National Assembly.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by coderXO(m): 11:29am On Mar 01, 2012
Quite astute @amacao. Well said.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by ayodele123(m): 6:29pm On Mar 29, 2012
Self service aka m.a.s.t.u.r.b.a.t.i.o.n. is contrary to the Bible in Leviticus 15:16
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by oba009(m): 11:56am On Mar 30, 2012
ayodele123: Self service aka m.a.s.t.u.r.b.a.t.i.o.n. is contrary to the Bible in Leviticus 15:16
RIGHT ON TARGET BRO, I LIKE THAT
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by toorich: 12:42pm On Mar 31, 2012
funny how those aggrieved by pastor chris's explanation cannot pin a single support from the bible.

only God is qualified to determine what is sin or not sin, not your traditional assumptions of what you think is sin. that's why he gave us his laws in the bible. sin is not your moral belief based on your environment, culture, ethnic morality etc. sin is what God says is sin, that is why you have to search the bible to know what and what he calls sin and what he doesn't call sin(even though it may look improper). that something does not morally appeal to you does not give you the authority to call it sin because you are not God (same thing was told peter in a trance Act 10:13-17) its not within our jurisdiction. only God can define what is sin to him, after all it wasn't our idea the word "sin" in the first place.

it will amaze you what God sees as sin (as simple as they may seem),e.g do you know eating or drinking too much is a sin? or talking too much? or using an image /symbol/animal/rosset to represent God is sin?

Big question is Has God called "self service" sin (even if it may look morally out of place): NO (based on the scriptures)
this is exactly what pastor chris has said.

however, as Paul said "all things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient" (1cor 16:12)means the fact that something is not a sin doesn't mean you should do it, let alone be subject to it. same way that it is with self service as with every other habit/behavior/tradition/culture/necessity etc. as a christian you should exercise restrain and moderation in whatever area of life(not only in the area of self service). God wants his children to be masters in all mannerism of life by choosing what habit to keep or do away with and not being subject to base things that don't matter to God's kingdom (Heb 5:12). when you get mature in the things of God, you will focus on what pleases God most, then, you won't be entangled in vain arguments of if self service is sin or not. this is what pastor chris is clearly saying.

conscience in its untamed state is never a recommended guide by God, that's why he gave us his holy spirit to be our guide. The holy spirit never condemns you (Rom 8:1)of your action rather he teaches and strengthens you to get things right, he never leaves(john 14:16). so if your conscience condemn you after the act and you think that self pity, withdrawal and condemnation is the ritual for your purification, better know that's from the devil not God because God will never condemn you for what Jesus already paid a price for.(john 3:16). rather he says "let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace , that we may obtain mercy and find grace in to help in time of need" (Heb 4:16). after all, he said "for if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things" (1jn 3:20)
so the fact that your conscience feels condemned is not a sure proof that it is sin, only God can determine what is sin which He has already shown us in the bible.
on the other hand, the fact that you feel good about something (which to you was morally right to do) doesn't mean its not SIN, remember all your actions you thought were right only to end up with terrible consequences. e.g read about Uzza in 1chron 13:9-12 .

search the scriptures yourself and stop assuming and false pretense as though you know.
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by charlesbright(m): 1:20am On Aug 19, 2012
Hmm.. Its amazing how 'christians' keep arguing on such topic and each side is trying to prove themselves right from the bible.. The two views CANNOT be both right, one is definitely wrong! Well, all I'll say is this:

Rev 22 11-14

"11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. 12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. 13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. 14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city."

God cannot be mocked! Every man will get his reward. Be you Pastor, Bishop, Reverend, Evangelist, Follower or 'Church goer' Everyman for himself!

God's standards will never bend for what you believe irrespective of where you learn it from!

Do what you know is right!
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by God2man(m): 8:41am On Oct 10, 2012
Freksy: The Bible's View of Self-service or Masturbation

There are those that have said that the Bible describes masturbation in Genesis chapter 38, and that Onan was put to death for the offense. But this is not true. The Bible says that when Onan "did have relations with his brother's wife he wasted his semen on the earth." (Genesis 38:9) So apparently Onan interrupted sexual relations with Tamar, spilling his semen on the ground rather than giving it to Tamar. He did this because he did not want to raise up children in the name of his dead brother. And it was for this failure to perform "brother-in-law marriage" that Onan was put to death.
Two other passages in the Hebrew Scriptures have been discussed in literature dealing with the Bible's view of masturbation. The first, Deuteronomy 23:10 and 11, tells of the situation when the Israelites were in a military encampment. According to Today's English Version, it says: "If a man becomes unclean because he has had a wet dream during the night, he is to go outside the camp and stay there. Toward evening he is to wash himself, and at sunset he may come back into camp." But what is mentioned here is not masturbation. Masturbation is defined as: "Erotic stimulation of the genital organs commonly resulting in orgasm and achieved by manual or other bodily contact." (Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, 1981) Jehovah God so created males that, when they do not engage in sexual intercourse, they will from time to time spontaneously emit semen during sleep. This emission is often accompanied by an erotic dream, hence the expression "a wet dream." Since the emission usually occurs at night, it may also be called a "nocturnal emission."
The other passage discussing this matter is Leviticus 15:16, 17, which says: "Now in case a man has an emission of semen go out from him, he must then bathe all his flesh in water and be unclean until the evening. And any garment and any skin upon which the emission of semen gets to be must be washed with water and be unclean until the evening." Apparently this passage is not referring to masturbation. Evidently it is referring to the aforementioned "wet dream." Although the Bible mentions an 'uncleanness' in association with the emission of semen, this is a ceremonial not a moral uncleanness. This is obvious when we note in the next verse that an Israelite man and wife incurred the same uncleanness when engaging in their God-approved marital relations.

Well, then, do the Christian Greek Scriptures say anything about masturbation? No, they do not discuss the subject. Not even wet dreams are mentioned. But does that mean that the Christian Greek Scriptures give no direction in forming a proper attitude toward masturbation? No, it does not. Consider Colossians 3:5, which reads: "Deaden, therefore, your body members that are upon the earth as respects fornication, uncleanness, sexual appetite, hurtful desire, and covetousness." And 1 Thessalonians 4:4, 5 says: "Each one . . . should . . . get possession of his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in covetous sexual appetite such as also those nations have which do not know God." Such counsel applies to married Christians as well as to those who are single, but even more restraint needs to be exercised by single persons since finding relief of passion by sexual relations is limited to those who are married.

Can you see that masturbation is a practice that violates the command to deaden "sexual appetite"? True, Jehovah created humans with an appetite, or desire, for sex, even as he created us with an appetite for food and drink. So the Bible is not saying that having sexual appetite is wrong, just as it does not condemn having a natural, proper appetite for food and drink. Yet we know that in our imperfect condition, appetites can get out of control. A person can come to have an inordinate desire for food or alcoholic beverages and become a glutton or a drunkard. Similarly, sex can become a chief or prominent part of a person's life, and he can thus become like people of the nations who have a "covetous sexual appetite."
A person who masturbates is putting improper emphasis on sex. He feeds and enlivens his sexual craving in a wrong way. Yet not only men are involved; there has been an increase of masturbation among women. God, however, provided humans the gift of sex to use within the arrangement of marriage. But a masturbator is using sex outside the marriage arrangement for personal gratification. Such a person needs to deaden his sexual appetite in order to please God. He needs to cultivate the self-control that is necessary to de-emphasize sex in his life and to leave his sexual organs to adjust to any pressures in the normal way.

Jesus taught: "Everyone that keeps on looking at a woman so as to have a passion for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (Matthew 5:28) A masturbator often has such kinds of passionate thoughts, fantasizing about having sexual relations. Such a person is certainly not living in accordance with Christ's teaching. There can be no question that these who feed their sexual appetite by masturbating are violating God's instructions to DEADEN their sexual appetite.
But how can a person deaden his sexual appetite and keep from masturbating? True, for people who have practiced this type of self-abuse, it can be a real fight to stop it. But one should not give up in the fight! With Jehovah's help, a person can succeed. He should first develop a hatred for the practice. (Psalm 97:10) Then it is vital that he make the firm determination in his mind and heart to stop masturbating. He must make it a continual subject of his prayers; then he needs to work at what he prays for. He cannot, as it were, feed the flames of passion by reading or looking at things that stir his sexual appetite. Nor can he be talking about matters that feed his inclination to masturbate. Rather, he must keep busy in theocratic pursuits and helping others spiritually, and he will receive the strength to control his sexual appetite.
There is no question about it—keeping integrity to Jehovah calls for a hard fight. But it is worth it!
Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by Deschil: 5:36pm On Aug 11, 2013
Read your Bible yourself!!!! Self-service is an abomination before God.
dare2think: Religion = Confusion

Which 'man of God' are we to believe now?

They seem to have different instructions from God? or do we have more than one God?

Re: self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome by greatnma: 8:28pm On Jul 22, 2014
Umunnem, going to "enigwe" is not going to "enugu".give your life to Jesus and He will give you the holyspirit that will lead you to all truth.One day both you, i and pastor chris will face the jugdement sit of God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

‘Sam Adeyemi And The Tithe’ by Deji Yesufu / Conclusion : Nairaland Atheists make shocking approval of Incest / Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.