Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,326 members, 7,819,114 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? (2312 Views)

Reasons All Webmaster Need A Domain Name / Nairaland Webmaster, Need Your View On This Hilarious Ideal / An E-book That Will Make You A Webmaster In No Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by broadcode(m): 10:45am On Oct 24, 2007
A client confronted me that most web designers don’t were ties. Is it important that we wear ties to meetings just to make it 'FORMAL'?

Tunde
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by xanadu: 11:13am On Oct 24, 2007
Is it important that we wear ties to meetings just to make it 'FORMAL'?

What exactly do you want to make FORMAL??
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by my2cents(m): 11:24am On Oct 24, 2007
It depends.

1)
The hidden rule of thumb (at least in the US) is to always dress formal during your first meeting with a client and one step above the client on all subsequent visits. First impressions count. Although I have no stats to prove this, I dare say that dressing formally could add a buck or two more to what you intended charging the client.

2)
There is a proverb which goes something like this: Dress for what you want to be and not for what you are. If you see yourself in a position other than coder, by this proverb, you shouldn't follow the stereotypical example of fellow "geeks" and wear Tshirts and Jeans. This of course doesn't mean you must wear a 3-piece suit either. I would imagine you could wear a decent traditional attire and still look professional and responsible. Please proceed to #3 below.

3)
Weather-wise, is this really a good call? By dressing formally, I imagine the implication is a shirt and tie with maybe a suit to match. I remember one time visiting a bank while in Nigeria. This man came in dressed in a suit. Temperature as always was at least 30 Celsius. The guy was dripping sweat so badly, yet he wouldn't take off his suit. I asked myself, "regardless of what this guy does, is it really worth it?"

So how do I dress at all times? Semi-formal - Golf/dress shirt with a pair of trousers.

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by Afam(m): 11:37am On Oct 24, 2007
If you work in a company, unfortunately you don't have the freedom to wear things that the company policy forbid.

As long as you abide by the company policy the next most important thing is for you to dress smart and for you to be comfortable with what you put on.

As My2cents pointed out why would someone be in suit and sweating at the same time? What's the point?

However, if you are not working for anyone you are free to wear anything as long as you remember that what you wear and how you dress one way or the other will affect how you will be valued (loosely speaking).

So, if you look smart in jeans and T- shirts go ahead.

If ties and suits are your preferences by all mean go ahead as long as you don't keep wiping sweat from your face and looking for shades, fans or A/Cs anywhere you go to.
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by astronp7(m): 12:27pm On Oct 24, 2007
It all depends on what one chooses as a way of dressing. And I recommend being decent, neat and maybe corporate too. But in all your dressing may I remain you that;

You Are Addressed The Way You Dress.

So appear the way you want people to look and regard you!
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by broadcode(m): 12:41pm On Oct 24, 2007
I dont think it is important that a webmaster needs to wear ties, but it is nice to be corporate and formal at the same time.
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by Kobojunkie: 5:54pm On Oct 24, 2007
Majority of the companies I have worked for and I have seen friends work for do not impose corporate wear on the members of its IT department. IT people are usually seen as nerds and comfort is one of the key and should not be abused. I wear my teeshirt and jeans most everyday to work. I have always been this way even though I try to be as casual corporate as I can for my own personal preference but I have never been told to wear a suit, even to interviews ( for those it is best you consult the company on what is acceptable or not). I would hope I never have to live in a world where I get to work in an IT department that demands I wear ties , Aaarrrrrgghhhh!!! that would be a nightmare!!!
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by Egavlas(m): 9:48pm On Oct 24, 2007
Working for myself, I am not under any obligations to dress with a tie. I dont have a single tie.

Most of the jobs I have done, have been through references and its usually the client who contacts me after hearing from someone or a client.

This removes a lot of pressure, and most times they are not really interested in whether am wearing a tie or not.

You dont have to wear a tie to look good.

Simply be clean, decent, and well dressed.(Tie is not an issue).

Bill Gates doesnt wear a tie always. But people listen when he is talking about computers.

Bello Osagie(Former UBA boss), hardly wears a tie( am not sure if he has changed), but people listen to him when he is talking about business. There are many others.

Its all about what you know .

You could wear a tie and suit to the meeting and still not get the contract if you dont know what u are talking about.
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by Egavlas(m): 9:54pm On Oct 24, 2007
And just to add that not wearing a tie is not the only thing that webmasters have been accused of.

A client also said webmasters dont like to sign their contract papers/proposals.

So when you are sending your proposal to corporate outfits and organised businesses, remember to add your signature to the proposal.

Yes, some of those companies are soo professional that they will look at such things.
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by rufaai(m): 11:01pm On Oct 24, 2007
Dressing determines who you are!

I was once talking with a colleague, a web designer (not much good though) - but he had never design a site lessthan 1 Million! - Do you get it? ONE MILLION Naira

He was telling me, even though I am much better than him interms of web design and developement ( he know nothing of php, mysql or even html. Only WYSIWYG) he earns multiples of my earnings!

We begun discussion and he pointed out Dressing as one of the prior determinants of your project. Example, If you dress in Shirt and Jeans while pulling a contract of N500,000. Your chance of winning the contract is just 10% even if you know it? - Because the people you are going to work for might think you are just gooing to "doop" them and dispear. Hope you understand me!

But when you dress fully corporate and use a flashy car - You stand 90% chance of winning a contract of 1 Million Naira! - because they will believe you are already developed and you cant run away for just 1 million!

Well, I hope I am explanatory enough and your dress really matters,  At the same time, that doesnt mean you should be too extreme.

Just be corporate on meetings with your clients and know how to talk corporately - The sky is your limit!
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by Neptune(m): 11:04am On Oct 25, 2007
Where i used to work, ties or dressing bla bla bla did'nt determine anything for web masters. we did'nt attend any meetings. the only meetings were in house meetings and since there was no one to impress or look good for, its always just another day. We had a head of IT department. He was the one who always worried about buying new suits with his salary because he followed the MD and PR guys to every meeting. We were the framework.

For Freelancers or Self employed guys, this is different. And u should listen to mycents post it'll help.
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by smartsoft(m): 11:28am On Oct 25, 2007
mine for an instance, i went to sheraton hotel to pursue a job worth N500.000 and you think i should dress on jeans and shirt just like that huh ? when the security alone is on Suite. hahahaha make i tell you the first time i went there for the deal,  i didn't put on tie, when i saw everybody looking good on their shirt and tie thing, 

The next time i was  suppose to be there i was wearing a tie looking smart and with my laptop,  infact the IT manager was impressed i saw it in his face,  the way u are dress, thats the way you will be address,  one Software developer like that an elderly man ,  intimidate me. asking me if i'm from 21st Century Limited  i guess you know that company !

Maybe why he asked was because of the dress nobody knows,  but it always adviceable to look good when going for a big contract even if it is 80k jobs,  you don't know who is who
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by Seun(m): 3:09pm On Oct 25, 2007
Secret to making money - you shall wear whatever makes your customer drop the dollars. wink
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by onyx79(m): 3:15pm On Oct 25, 2007
ok o!
Webmaster and im dress code, i don hear!
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by diyobdw(f): 3:23pm On Oct 25, 2007
no none is going to trust a shoe maker who walks bear footed!

especially if you are on direct marketing!
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by evergie(m): 4:42pm On Oct 25, 2007
I will be going for a meeting with a bank, how should i dress?
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by chuckdee4(m): 5:02pm On Oct 25, 2007
Well where i work, ur only required to dress formally if you are going to be in contact with any of the clients, asides that ties are not necessary. If you are posted to a client's site then,heck yes u must wear a tie and represent the company well
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by olabello(m): 6:14pm On Oct 25, 2007
Hi,

You see, a webmaster a technical guy and normally does not need to tie up his/her nect with ropes.

But in certain circumstances, e.g where he is required to show a DEMO to corporate clients and people, then he also needs to be corporate so as to win the job or whatever.

But basically this is not compulsory, it is the admin or marketing guy that needs all the efizies, you know.

Have a nice career

To your success

Bello Ahmed
www.netserveafrica.com
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 25, 2007
I don't think a webmaster should wear shirt and tie, Where i work as assistant web developer we don't wear suit or tie.
my believe is wear anything that will be comfortable if you are comfortable in jeans and T shirt fine put it on
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by akinalabi(m): 12:26am On Oct 26, 2007
The next time I'll put on a tie is on my wedding day.

Tie ko, tie ni.

Akin Alabi
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by uchetobi(f): 8:52am On Oct 26, 2007
Here where I work, all IT staffs must come in a shirt, trouser, tie and jacket Monday to thurs
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by RuuDie(m): 12:12pm On Oct 26, 2007
Personally, i'd rather love to dress casual everytime but i guess the dress code depends on where you work! which shouldn't be so. . . . for a webmaster, i guess theres no bones if you have to suit and tie up to work everyday c'uz the work doesn't involve you having to roll all over the floor, now does it

way back when i was working at National Oil's IT/Helpdesk dept. . . . . . they were always telling me to try and dress corporate, but how could i, when every 15mins i was in the ceiling chasing network cables up and down the length of the building - if it wasn't that i'd be up on the roof checking out radio masts or carrying pc's up and down a 17 flr building - how on earth was i s'posed to suit and tie up and do all that

in a nutshell, i'm just saying that the dress code should be determined by the job at hand. . . . . . and maybe enforcements for special occasions!
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by uchetobi(f): 3:04pm On Oct 26, 2007
it depends, Webmasters in my office go to meetings and consulting is all about image
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by Builder: 4:14pm On Oct 27, 2007
How interesting!!! wake up in the morning the next thing is start thinking what colour of rope/tie to commit suicide with , if only we can stop copyin them white peeps
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by smartsoft(m): 5:54pm On Oct 27, 2007
Builder:

How interesting!!! wake up in the morning the next thing is start thinking what colour of rope/tie to commit suicide with , if only we can stop copyin them white peeps

you bi really olodo, if they ask you to start wearing tie at your office refuse and be fired .wearing does it tell us that we copy white. huh ? if i employ u and i tell u put on tie when coming next week and you objected twice

i no go look uche face ooo i go fire u striaght
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by 9ja4eva: 10:24pm On Oct 27, 2007
I dnt think so,
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by Leslexx: 11:49pm On Oct 27, 2007
Hi All Developers & Coders

Looks like alot of developers here so I am going to post our project here and hopefully we can find someone for handle the project.

Basically we've got a project in .NET that I am looking for a Nigerian Coder to Work on for me. If you are a capable .NEt Coder then please send you resume to leslexx@yahoo.com

Our project is built on the following Plaform:

- ASP.Net 2.0
- MS SQL DB 2000
- Windows 2003 Server
- VB.NET

Ok, lets roll people. You are a talented coder and a capable coder, then you've got a great opportunity with our company.

Thanks
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by Bossman(m): 6:05pm On Oct 29, 2007
I guess it depends. On this end, besides the first interview, no need to wear tie. It's good to make that first impression. I last wore a tie to work in 1997. I think I have worn a suit a total of may be 10 times since then. Pretty much all the firms on this end, it's business casual. This particular client I am with (A major health Insurance company in downtown Chicago) did not even require tie on my first and only interview, they called me while I was at my other gig if I could come for an interview the same day, I told them that I did not have a tie/suit, and they said just come on down.

Now, exactly what/who is a webmaster?AFAIK, you are either an application developer or not. And, that may or may not involve web development.
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by champredd(m): 6:52pm On Oct 29, 2007
Webmasters should just see themselves as a businessperson, especially if you are running your own biz. Even if you are working for a company you will have to dress formally when meeting clients.
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by gbolio4(m): 2:36am On Nov 01, 2007
Sure learn't a thing or 2 in here wink
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by chomzy(f): 12:50pm On Nov 06, 2007
it is good for a webmaster to wear tie, because the way you dress determines the way you would be addressed and again first impression matters
Re: Does A Webmaster Need To Wear Ties? by Wahala90: 10:20pm On Feb 23, 2012
it is good for a webmaster to wear tie, because the way you dress determines the way you would be addressed and again first impression matters
Mumu oyinbo mentality. Who says a tie makes people to address you better?

(1) (Reply)

Big Companies Using Joomla For Their Websites / Can Really Get In To My Facebook Account / I Have $45 Paypal Funds To Sell (VERY URGENT)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.