Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,093 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing (7933 Views)

Problems Encountered By The Introduction Of The New Vehicle Tinted Glass Permit / FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians / Number Plate: FRSC To Impound Vehicles Oct 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by oluwabamis(m): 7:17pm On Feb 29, 2012
The senate has ordered the road safety corps to stop issuance of the new vehicle  licensing plate number. This was due to the fact that the license is no different from the old one, rather FRSC is just  making money at vehicle owner's expense.

Thank God I have not paid for it.

The Senate has directed the Federal Road Safety Commission to suspend immediately the implementation of the new driving licence and vehicle number plates on the grounds that the innovation is creating further hardship for Nigerians.

It also mandated its Committee on Federal Character and Intergovernmental Affairs to conduct a public hearing on the new scheme, with a view to ascertaining its desirability or otherwise.

The resolutions were reached after members debated the motion on the new FRSC scheme brought by Senator Aweisu Kuta.

Moving the motion, Kuta said the Federal Road Safety Act empowered the commission to prevent and minimise accidents on the federal highways and not as a revenue generating agency for the government.

He argued that the commission was also given the mandate to clear obstruction on the highways and educate drivers, motorists and other members of the public on the proper use of the highways.

Kuta said, “The commission in recent times has embarked on frequent and arbitrary introduction and re-introduction of vehicle number plates and driver’s licenses.”

According to him, the commission is likely to generate about N2bn annually as its own share of the new scheme, following the increase in the cost of production of licences and number plates.

He said the scheme was generating a public outrage at the moment, given that Nigerians are generally financially incapable of meeting the requirements of the new scheme due to the harsh economic realities.

“Also the August 31, 2012 dateline issued by the commission for the enforcement of the new scheme is not feasible because the current demand for vehicle license surpasses supply and thereby forces applicants to wait for as long as three months after payment before receiving number plates.

“The scheme has encouraged the activities of touts and middlemen which has further heightened the increases,” Kuta said.

Senator Barnabas Gemade, argued that the move on the part of the FRSC was controversial as the VIO had taken the commission to court on the matter and the court had restrained the commission from going ahead on the matter.

Smart Adeyemi, who heads the Senate Committee on FCT, said, “It is clear that the FRSC has gone beyond its mandate. It is our responsibility to call this commission to order. They should work within the framework of the law. The cost of procuring the number plates is too high for the common man.”
www.punchng.com
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by oluwabamis(m): 8:20pm On Feb 29, 2012
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by gulfer: 8:25pm On Feb 29, 2012
Very good move indeed. They should look for more creative ways of enriching themselves. They are not law enforcement and so should go and face accident causing trailers with bad tyres and overloaded frames.
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by brainpulse: 9:28am On Mar 01, 2012
gbese grin
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by lee4u: 9:40am On Mar 01, 2012
This is the only positive news I heard from Nigeria law makers. Am very happy. Frsc are thieves. Olee
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by hassymo5(m): 9:42am On Mar 01, 2012
Nice move b the senate, this is what they are suppose to be doing!!! But they didnt say anything on subsidy removal!!!
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by ChefMike(m): 9:46am On Mar 01, 2012
This sanction will not last for too long they are all"bird of a feather"
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by Koikoi(m): 9:53am On Mar 01, 2012
Below the belt blow for Fashola
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by mail4gift2(m): 9:57am On Mar 01, 2012
Useless Government, Useless House of Reps, Useless Senate, Useless Politicians all Governing a useless country, are you telling me that they (the senate) are just realizing that there is not difference with the old plate number after making millions from those who opt-in for it.

Useless people
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by snthesis(m): 10:04am On Mar 01, 2012
what happens to the already issued number plates?
at the moment we will have two different vehicle numbering systems? which one computer go accept sad
confusion confusion evrywhere angry angry
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by lilkech(m): 10:11am On Mar 01, 2012
No mind the fools

once im fed up with them i go just go shop buy pemanent marker or chalk take design my own plate number

why i go pay 45k for plate number go paste am for my VW Beetle wey i buy 40k last week ?
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by olaezebala: 10:12am On Mar 01, 2012
Koikoi:

Below the belt blow for Fashola
I just lost 42k last month in a bid to get one useless Ikoyi number plate cause I was in a hurry(I FOR WAIT O). Thank God, the blow hit am well.
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by Baawaa(m): 10:21am On Mar 01, 2012
Good moves,something is wrong somewhere shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by GoldCircle: 10:39am On Mar 01, 2012
The problem now is going to be that the FRSC, JTB and govt officials will start arm twisting innocent citizens who want to register new vehicles. This will no doubt push up the prices of plates numbers as there will be scarcity and they will start producing plate numbers underground. Meanwhile, the machines for producing the old ones have been abandoned and probably cannibalised, so going back to produce the old type will be out of the question.

so where does this leave us? should the FRSC not have consulted with the NASS before issuing fresh number plates and driver's licence? Besides, why should the cost be so high? someone must have factored in his/her own cut as i hear VIOs nationwide are scheduled to be flown to the USA for training on how to spot fake number plates and drivers licences. which way
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by ciscostaz: 11:03am On Mar 01, 2012
hmm. I laugh in Japanese. I dont think this threat will last. That is if the senate members too have not acquired the new number plates already.
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by MeGaStReEt: 11:17am On Mar 01, 2012
lilkech:

No mind the fools

once im fed up with them i go just go shop buy pemanent marker or chalk take design my own plate number

why i go pay 45k [/b]for plate number go paste am for my [b]VW Beetle wey i buy 40k last week ?

grin grin grin shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by yemmight(m): 11:24am On Mar 01, 2012
This directive won’t fly. House of Reps once gave theirs and that did not work.
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by stepo707: 11:27am On Mar 01, 2012
lilkech:

No mind the fools

why i go pay 45k for plate number go paste am for my VW Beetle wey i buy 40k last week ?

grin grin grin shocked
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by snthesis(m): 11:29am On Mar 01, 2012
GoldCircle:

i hear VIOs nationwide are scheduled to be flown to the USA for training on how to spot fake number plates and drivers licences. which way
shocked shocked shocked

Training to identify fake plates, na wa o
abeg they should also send all nigerians to america to identify fake naira notes angry angry angry
y cant the "so called experts" come to Nigeria and train dem on hw to spot fake license plates
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by rosaida: 11:56am On Mar 01, 2012
[b]Nigerian law makers needs to under go poliomylytis surgery of the brain.
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by Appearance(m): 12:19pm On Mar 01, 2012
At least they acted right even if it is a bit late.
Good job
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by OperaMini1(m): 12:59pm On Mar 01, 2012
It's their resolution about the cost, or the desirability of the scheme? Let's be reminded that the House of Reps, issued same order last year, and we know better today. They should equally have told us what to do, if the FRSC insists on carrying on with this needless change. For instance my DL will expire on the 12th of this March, which of the licences will i obtain at renewal?
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 01, 2012
These legislative fools dont think well except when to loot. What happens to previously unregistered vehicles that want to get a number plate and be on the roads?
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by onyxo76(m): 2:04pm On Mar 01, 2012
thank God i didn't rush to change my number plate like some people on this forum did. But my renewed license is the new one issued by frsc which expires in a months time, so which one do i get now? is it the new suspended one or i just keep the temporary new one? confusion everywhere.
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by megawax8: 2:42pm On Mar 01, 2012
dis government is all so confused
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by otokx(m): 3:53pm On Mar 01, 2012
Those who are buying new cars or getting a driver's license for the first time can go for the new package while existing users should continue with theirs.
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by kolaide(m): 4:22pm On Mar 01, 2012
don't mind them, i am sure a driver gave one of the senators his bill as regards the fleet of cars he need to change plate numbers for, and the guy was like this money just for plate numbers!

Driver: oga, time they go make we go change the plate numbers for your cars o.
Senator: why?
Driver: Road safety they disturb us for road ooo
Senator: who much is the bill?
Driver: sir, to change all the vehicle we should be looking at 1.5m
Senator: what! just to change plate number for car!
Driver: yes sir, u know for office cars we have 10, your own personal cars 7,madam for lagos-4, junior's car - 2, his sister 1, madam for abuja- 5 and the ones in village 2 and the cost for plate is 45k
Senator:kai! this is serious, dont worry we would look into it at the floor of the house.GBAM!
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by go4value(m): 4:37pm On Mar 01, 2012
@goldcircle has said it all, it will just worsen the suffering of the masses.it will turn to man no man before u get am, fuel in enugu goes to as much as 130 now,after we shouted foul about complete subsidy removal.this politicians can never use my brain.shine ur eyes o.
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by yoji: 7:57pm On Mar 01, 2012
Pls can somebody help me out here: wats d purpose of renewal of drivers licence cos since all u r doing is payin 5k for 3yrs , u might as well pay 10k for 6yrs at a go to avoid future inconvinice afterall they don't check 2 c if ur drivin ability has deteriorated over time b4 issuin u a new one.
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by Onyenna(m): 9:14pm On Mar 01, 2012
Wonderful!!!!. . . the only difference is the map on the number plates!!! Nonsense!
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by Danabu(m): 9:18pm On Mar 01, 2012
Chidoka is an ibo man , business dey him blood. Pls senate let the man put his talent to good use for nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing by oyemekun: 9:55pm On Mar 01, 2012
FRSC was established to reduce the rate of accidents on Nigeria roads because of the bad state at which all the Nigeria roads are,why are they now trying to make life difficult for Nigerians by introducing new plate number and driver's licence for Nigerians that are fortunate to have car,most of us can't  even maintain the car talkless getting new plate number and licence.FRSC should let Nigerians enjoy good road and drive safely on Nigeria roads.we don't need either new licence or plate number but safety on Nigeria roads

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do White Coloured Vehicles Cost Less?` / Honda Accord Vs Toyota Camry, Which Would You Go For? / Where Can I Get Keke Napep New Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.