Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

I Need Help With Networking - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / I Need Help With Networking (859 Views)

HELP: Computer Engineering Handout With Networking / I Need A Final Year Project Topic (networking)! / What Does Computer Networking Entail? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help With Networking by MyJwell: 4:15pm On Mar 01, 2012
hello pls i need help with the following networking challenge;

on a wireless network via an access point and a router, a system is configured as a server from which other clients can acces the network printer which is shared on the server.

The problem is this;

I have windows xp and windows7 on the systems

I have created the workgroup and name all the system as they should be

I can print from the server

But I cannot see the server nor any other system on the network from any of the systems including the server

Pls note that the workgroup name are all thesame on all the systems and i have turned on all neccessary sharing on those that runs windows7

I need to make the server see other systems and others too to see the server so each clients system can access the printer installed on the server.

it is a wireless connection, no cable at all.

pls all help would be appreciated.
Re: I Need Help With Networking by lifestyle1(m): 8:25pm On Mar 01, 2012
What is the range of your IP Address ? undecided
Re: I Need Help With Networking by deribigbe(m): 1:18am On Mar 02, 2012
1stly ping d systems frm ur server 2 c its replyin 2ndly share d printer frm d server then go to Network to c if it will display other systems on d netwrk, if u can c eachother then u shud b able to c d printer 3rdly b sure they are in d same workgroup,ip range. If its replyin frm pingin then u can c it in d netwrk column u shud b able to
Re: I Need Help With Networking by Taolyn4lif(m): 8:12am On Mar 03, 2012
A Wired network is far more reliable than a wireless network. The bandwidth is much more and workstations and other devices on the network respond on time to one another.
The problem your network may be facing is that either improperly configured ip addresses or the response of the workstations towards one another is slow due to the fact that you chose a wireless option of connection.
Re: I Need Help With Networking by sholylaw(m): 1:00pm On Mar 03, 2012
I understand your problem very well, i guess u are using windows xp as a server and windows 7 are workstations, This problem is associated with windows 7 alone when u are using it with all other OS on the same network, your problem is not the networking (Cable or Wireless) but the OS (Windows 7), from my experience I notice windows 7 do not have sharing compatibility with Other OS(Xp & Vista),
Note that u can hve a throughput from Windows 7, but u can not see oda OS systems on the same workgroup.

On this same issues i have contacted Microsoft but still waiting for reply, on interim you can use install windows 7 on the server machine and do ur sharing, then u will b able to see your shared files on the same OS.
Re: I Need Help With Networking by MyJwell: 2:09pm On Mar 05, 2012
thanks soo much, for the responses

(1) (Reply)

How To Download Android Apps And Games Directly To Your Pc / Help Please... / Help A Nairalander With His Laptop Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.