Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! (6626 Views)

Student Wants To Know "Do You Trust E-commerce Websites?" / Almost All University Student Wants To Be An Employee / Study Abroad In Malaysia - No Agents, Deal Directly With The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by DaraAlina(f): 3:07pm On Mar 03, 2012
Greetings,

I am very interested in doing Study Abroad at a University in Lagos or somewhere close by , Please anyone have any advice.

Some details about myself :

I am a Caribbean American female
I have visited Nigeria twice
I do have friends that are reliable
I am comfortable with the conditions, traditions, and way of life in Nigeria

Thanks Alot !!!
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Dara216(f): 4:17am On Mar 04, 2012
Dara,I think u need to go to unilag or maybe get ur nigerian friends to makE d inquire frm d university.its a rare question here on nairaland so u might nt get a lot of replies,bt there is notin like getting first hand information frm d school.goodluck!!!!
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by otokx(m): 3:07pm On Mar 04, 2012
What discipline are you interested in?
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by femajokeho: 3:29pm On Mar 04, 2012
Alina Hi! I am exceedingly delighted having thought it a brilliant ideas of stepping out of ur fatherland to sojourn your academic endeavours here in my dear country,NIGERIA.I am an education consultant in nigeria.My students are writing their jamb exams(entrance)in lagos on march 24.you dare free to call me here:2348027264492.or mail me:vintagefemmy08@yahoo.com.i am a wonderful human being in caring and friendship.wiating for your swift response ok!
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Uricas(m): 4:18pm On Mar 04, 2012
Beware of scammer(s).
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 6:21pm On Mar 04, 2012
Hi dara,i am a student of the federal university of technology akure(FUTA) here in Nigeria.I hav loads of schools you can apply for in respect to your preferred course.You can contact me with dis number:2348084110632 or my email:tizentos@gmail.com
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by cfours: 6:27pm On Mar 04, 2012
DaraAlina:

Greetings,

I am very interested in doing Study Abroad at a University in Lagos or somewhere close by , Please anyone have any advice.

Some details about myself :

I am a Caribbean American female
I have visited Nigeria twice
I do have friends that are reliable
I am comfortable with the conditions, traditions, and way of life in Nigeria

Thanks Alot !!!

This is bizarre. You have to work through your university in the US to see what programs qualify for study abroad in Nigeria
This is an example of a study abroad program that includes Nigeria. but it has to meet qualifications of your school and program department.
http://www.iiepassport.org/studypackages/african_languages_initiative_afli_program.aspx?returnUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.iiepassport.org%2fsearchlistings.aspx%3fcat1%3dAfrica%255c%252c%2bSouth%2bof%2bthe%2bSahara%252cNigeria

unless of course you want to do your entire uni in Nigeria (only God knows why lipsrsealed) then you only need to move to Naija and apply. but such a degree will be almost useless if you plan to return abroad.
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by DaraAlina(f): 7:48pm On Mar 04, 2012
Dara216:

Dara,I think u need to go to unilag or maybe get ur nigerian friends to makE d inquire frm d university.its a rare question here on nairaland so u might nt get a lot of replies,bt there is notin like getting first hand information frm d school.goodluck!!!!

Thanks Dara126, I tried to make inquiry from Unilag but no response and its actually my first choice, I will just keep on trying and ask one of my friends to stop by one day for me ,

otokx:

What discipline are you interested in?

otokx , Currently I am studying Dance and International affairs who separate degree programs

c.fours:

This is bizarre. You have to work through your university in the US to see what programs qualify for study abroad in Nigeria
This is an example of a study abroad program that includes Nigeria. but it has to meet qualifications of your school and program department.
http://www.iiepassport.org/studypackages/african_languages_initiative_afli_program.aspx?returnUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.iiepassport.org%2fsearchlistings.aspx%3fcat1%3dAfrica%255c%252c%2bSouth%2bof%2bthe%2bSahara%252cNigeria

unless of course you want to do your entire uni in Nigeria (only God knows why lipsrsealed) then you only need to move to Naija and apply. but such a degree will be almost useless if you plan to return abroad.

c.fours, The reason why I came here is to actually inquire from a another source because of the lack of study abroad programs taking place in Nigeria. Either most of the programs are non existent from one or both sides, And I actually said "Study Abroad" which means "short-term study" , If I wanted to be a matriculated student I would of asked about "prospective full-time admission",
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by cfours: 8:41pm On Mar 04, 2012
well I don't know what to tell you other than you are really clueless about the whole study abroad process and need to schedule an appointment with the study abroad dept at your school.

These are the two main study abroad/student exchange sponsors that tend to be approved by many american universities.
http://www.ciee.org/
http://www.sit.edu/studyabroad/
none of them have a nigeria program. your closest bet is Ghana. check if your schools approves either of these organizations.

you calling UNILAG and posting inquiry on nairaland is just bizarre. unless you are trying to apply to a nigerian school independently as a fresh student. That is the only way your topic can make any sense.
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by DaraAlina(f): 9:00pm On Mar 04, 2012
c fours, A student can apply for study abroad independently as long as the student file for independent study at it's home institution, I have done it once already just because you have no experience in going through this process doesn't mean that I am clueless, plenty of students from my country have done research abroad alone , smdh, and getting information from a source just as this doesn't mean I have to believe it, it's called being observant and resourceful,
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by cfours: 9:21pm On Mar 04, 2012
well then goodluck with that. since you have already done it before then i'm sure you should know how to do it again.
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 05, 2012
Be ready to spend 8 years on a 5 years course.
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by newacca: 9:49am On Mar 05, 2012
University of Ibadan,University of Lagos,Obafemi Awolowo University,University of Ilorin,Fed.University of Agriculture Abeokuta.These are great Universities that have been maintaining good reputation for long. But be aware like education in any other parts of the world,even the western world,Nigeria varsities have their own demerits; Mainly strike actions,lack of practical knowledge and facilities etc. but u go learn 4rm 9ja even outta citadel environ. grin cheesy everyday 4 9ja na lesson. That's why I studied 4rm primary level to tertiary institution till I decided to broaden my knowledge outta Nigeria shore,though still on d pursuit. Yet,coming back to 9ja to utilize d acquired skills. I wish u Good luck.
ciao
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by humblebee: 9:50am On Mar 05, 2012
yorke:

Be ready to spend 8 years on a 5 years course.

true but you shouldnt stop there,
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Gerrard59(m): 9:57am On Mar 05, 2012
The high rate of mädnes$ is really on the rise. What happened to all the dancing schools in the US? Dnt harvard teaches intl.reltations? Indians,malaysians,chinese,russians r going to the Us,u nw cum to 9ja? south africa nko? is there bad? Nxt tin she wil want to study film nd acting in ds jungle,when the new york film academy s there.
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by otokx(m): 10:25am On Mar 05, 2012
For international affairs, UNILAG and IBADAN are pretty good.
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by jolab: 10:27am On Mar 05, 2012
oh i c.so wat u wanna do is a semester abroad?U shoulda made dat clear cos its virtually non existent in nigeria.
My advice is the whole issue could get complicated nd then there r the skool strikes dat jst come out of the blue
so ur semester abroad may bcom more than a semester but if u insist on Nigeria,do ur research well nd dnt get scammed!
Dance and international affairs as an actually course  shocked dnt worry abt finding dat in nigeria cos u wnt.international affairs yes.
dance no!
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by shilling(f): 10:28am On Mar 05, 2012
^^
Lmao

DaraAlina:

c fours,   A student can apply for study abroad independently as long as the student file for independent study at it's home institution,  I have done it once already just because you have no experience in going through this process doesn't mean that I am clueless,  plenty of students from my country have done research abroad alone ,  smdh,  and getting information from a source just as this doesn't mean I have to believe it,  it's called being observant and resourceful,  
True!! Did you call/email? Calling will obviously be more effective.
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 10:29am On Mar 05, 2012
truth be said, many of Nigerian university graduates are washing plates in Restaurants abroad(southafrica, senegal, gabon, angola, etc, the clever ones are doing yahoo yahoo in the UK, canada, US, Spain, etc, the lucky brilliant one are being forced to undergo another 2 to3yrs training before they can be employed abroad. i wonder what ur motives are. however you are welcome to naija. be sure that ur english speaking ability will be affected deeply after graduation. cheers.
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by moremi2008(m): 10:37am On Mar 05, 2012
I doubt any Nigerian university has a study-abroad program. Do you have on-the-ground Nigerian friends? If yes, then they are in the best position to help you do your initial research. You might be able to take some classes as an "exchange" student but I don't know how that process works and I have never met anyone that has done this in Nigeria.

I seriously considered study abroad programs in African countries ages ago and the only programs my undergrad school would approve were in Senegal, Mali, Ghana, Kenya and South Africa. I ultimately decided to study in Paris (it was cheaper, more convenient and had a better selection of classes to satisfy requirements in all three of my majors). If you are looking for classes in Nigerian Dance, then Unilag or Yabatech might be good choices to explore. If you're looking to learn an African language, then your options are much broader, depending on what language you're interested in (of the Nigerian languages, Yoruba tends to have the strongest departments.)

Again, reach out to your on-the-ground friends in Nigeria and see if they can go make in-person inquiries at Unilag (most of these universities just aren't wired to respond efficiently to electronic/paper inquiries and it might be almost impossible to reach a knowledgeable administrator on the phone.) Otherwise, reach out to departments of African studies at US universities and see if any of the professors have any recommendations. African Studies is a small enough field that most of the professors in the field would know someone that has done some field work in Nigeria. Good luck!
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by kpolli(m): 10:51am On Mar 05, 2012
Dara ur making a mistake (if u choose unilag) #enuffsaid
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Mavor: 11:10am On Mar 05, 2012
You need to have your head examined
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Mayflowa(m): 11:16am On Mar 05, 2012
@Moremi2008. Your advice was on point when you asked the op to either seek the help of the African laguage and History professors in the US( There are a lot of them in Ohio State University ) or find a friend to go meet the lecturer at home university. I am quite definite she would get a space

However, u are not correct if you think Nigeria University do not have partners for exchange programme abroad. I know this because I am a lecturer. There are provisions for these in most universities. Students don't just  take advantage partly because of finance and partly because of ignorance.

Recently, Delta state university, Uniport and Uniben have signed several partnership with Universities abroad for exchange. And these programmeS abound in unilag. Provisions roare laid down for it. Pay for it and u will get it. It's far easier to get into Nigeria school system than the reverse.

Again, unilag is a good school for dance. The Op may want to learn worldwide dances including Nigerian. So bad people just kill their country. Indian is worst than Nigeria o. Our one big problem is power!
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 11:18am On Mar 05, 2012
Kai, what is this world turning into, is either u dont have the money to study in US, if not, then someone needs to wake you up with duduosun slap
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Mavor: 11:20am On Mar 05, 2012
you want to come to Africa for black <o<k? hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Omogbhollahorn(m): 11:26am On Mar 05, 2012
it kool doe if u not a reading kind of person u cud choose lag or leadcity but if u wanna read full tym oau or ui cud do d magic, wink smiley
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by maclatunji: 11:50am On Mar 05, 2012
Mayflowa:

@Moremi2008. Your advice was on point when you asked the op to either seek the help of the African laguage and History professors in the US( There are a lot of them in Ohio State University ) or find a friend to go meet the lecturer at home university. I am quite definite she would get a space

However, u are not correct if you think Nigeria University do not have partners for exchange programme abroad. I know this because I am a lecturer. There are provisions for these in most universities. Students don't just  take advantage partly because of finance and partly because of ignorance.

Recently, Delta state university, Uniport and Uniben have signed several partnership with Universities abroad for exchange. And these programmeS abound in unilag. Provisions roare laid down for it. Pay for it and u will get it. It's far easier to get into Nigeria school system than the reverse.

Again, unilag is a good school for dance. The Op may want to learn worldwide dances including Nigerian. So bad people just kill their country. Indian is worst than Nigeria o. Our one big problem is power!

Oga, your head is there, maybe you could help OP with the required information.
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Sagamite(m): 11:51am On Mar 05, 2012
Gerrard59:

The high rate of mädnes$ is really on the rise. What happened to all the dancing schools in the US? Dnt harvard teaches intl.reltations? Indians,malaysians,chinese,russians r going to the Us,u nw precipitate to 9ja? south africa nko? is there bad? Nxt tin she wil want to study film nd acting in ds jungle,when the new york film academy s there.

Lets just hope she is not taught to write and compose grammar as appallingly as you do.

@ DaraAlina,

Whatever you do, do not pay any fees to anybody. Those rushing to give you their phone numbers and email address seem like hungry scammers.

You should consider University of Lagos, University of Ibadan and Obafemi Awolowo University. Those are the premier universities.

1 Like

Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 05, 2012
Definitely U're Welcome Dearie, Hope U're ready to Sort Our Lecturers With Money And the Other Side?  wink cheesy wink
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Acelifted: 12:31pm On Mar 05, 2012
Definitely U're Welcome Dearie, Hope U're ready to Sort Our Lecturers With Money And the Other Side?

What Nonsense!!!
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 05, 2012
^^ Take It Or Leave It cool cool
Re: U.s. Student Wants To Do Study Abroad In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 05, 2012
Sagamite:

Lets just hope she is not taught to write and compose grammar as appallingly as you do.

@ DaraAlina,

Whatever you do, do not pay any fees to anybody. Those rushing to give you their phone numbers and email address seem like hungry scammers.

You should consider University of Lagos, University of Ibadan and Obafemi Awolowo University. Those are the premier universities.

I agree that she should consider these universities mentioned but they cannot all be premier universities as there can only be one premier university in the real sense of the word and that is the University of Ibadan.

(1) (2) (Reply)

HELP: Good And Affordable Montesorri Schools In Surulere / It May Take A While For Free Community College Tuition To Truly Take Off / NECO Withholds Niger State Results Over Debts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.