Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,757 members, 7,809,920 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison (5108 Views)

Aminu Oguche - Nyanya Bombing Suspect - Freed By Court / Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent / Gej Visits Xmas Day Bombing Site, 6 Days After! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by dabrake(m): 6:11am On Mar 04, 2012
One of the suspected masterminds of the October 1, 2010 bombing in Abuja, Tiemkenfa Francis Osvwo (alias General Gbokos), died in the Kuje Prison on Saturday.

A statement by his lawyer in the case, Federal Republic of Nigeria v. Charles Okah & others, Mr. Festus Keyamo, alleged that Osvwo was murdered by the authorities.

Keyamo claimed that Osvwo’s death came on the heels of a series of complaints by the counsel representing him and his co-accused about the maltreatment meted out to the accused persons in prison.

“The sickness leading to the death of Tiemkenfa Francis Osvwo started when their cell was fumigated with a strange substance on the January 8, 2012, which affected the health of all the four suspects. Suffice it to reiterate that we, their solicitors raised the alarm about that development at the time.

“Prior to his death in custody, Gbokos had been urinating and defecating on himself in the prison and despite pleas by his solicitors requesting that he be treated properly, no one attended to him.

“On February 21, 2012, Osvwo collapsed in court which stalled hearing for that day but despite the order of the court that Osvwo should be medically attended to by the prisons authorities, no medication was administered on him. It was obvious therefore that the authorities wanted him dead,” Keyamo’s statement read.

Comparing the plight of his clients with that of suspects linked to Boko Haram bombings, some of whom are on bail, Keyamo said it was unfair that his clients were being maltreated in prison, when they were still supposed to be presumed innocent according to the law.

“At this juncture, we are constrained to state that we find it extremely inequitable that virtually all the suspects linked to the Boko Haram bombings have been enjoying bail while our clients, the alleged masterminds of the October 1, 2010 bombings (still presumed innocent) continue to suffer indignities in custody.

“We therefore, respectfully, call on all well-meaning Nigerians to join in the call for their bail and the Nigerian government to facilitate the release of the other suspects in custody with a view to attending to their deteriorating health before they die in custody,” the lawyer said.

According to Keyamo, other accused persons in the October 1, 2010 bombing still in Kuje Prisons are facing similar conditions that claimed Osvwo’s life.

http://www.punchng.com/news/independence-day-bombing-suspect-dies-in-prison/#comment-100421
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by obowunmi(m): 6:13am On Mar 04, 2012
na wa ooooo shocked shocked shocked
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by ASOROCKb(m): 6:59am On Mar 04, 2012
Him brothers!
Waiting be our own for how he do him boyz, huh?
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by Vincent41(m): 10:15am On Mar 04, 2012
Nonsense.As for me de only tin gud for nigeria is to part ways.
How can sum 1 who masterminded bombing be allowed de court and still plea not guilty.
For me noting good is and will never come out from nigeria.
Its always de rich gets richer and de poor gest poorer
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by studyineu: 10:39am On Mar 04, 2012
Make him brothers no retaliate ooo, abeg oo
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by reindeer: 10:46am On Mar 04, 2012
Ha.
Of course!
With the resurgence of MEND attacks and the president denying they were the ones who did the Oct 1 blasts. . .
Perhaps he needed to be silenced permanently.
Up GEJ! smiley
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by Zi: 11:00am On Mar 04, 2012
I smell dead rat! Who else can?
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by moderattor: 11:13am On Mar 04, 2012
Hafiz Ringim
did a lot of evil.
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by cdoffx(m): 11:27am On Mar 04, 2012
Vincent 4:

How can sum 1 who masterminded bombing be allowed de court and still plea not guilty.
this is really pathetic
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by dedom4all: 11:47am On Mar 04, 2012
First of all, let his name be changed from FRANCIS TO FAROUK before I comment further - what will the name "Francis" be doing on list of TERRORIST?
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by juman(m): 11:58am On Mar 04, 2012
Vincent 4:

That's just for a time nah. The useless thing will be crushed. Certainly.
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by juman(m): 12:07pm On Mar 04, 2012
“On February 21, 2012, Osvwo collapsed in court which stalled hearing for that day but despite the order of the court that Osvwo should be medically attended to by the prisons authorities, no medication was administered on him. It was obvious therefore that the authorities wanted him dead,” Keyamo’s statement read.

Comparing the plight of his clients with that of suspects linked to Boko Haram bombings, some of whom are on bail, Keyamo said it was unfair that his clients were being maltreated in prison, when they were still supposed to be presumed innocent according to the law.

“At this juncture, we are constrained to state that we find it extremely inequitable that virtually all the suspects linked to the Boko Haram bombings have been enjoying bail while our clients, the alleged masterminds of the October 1, 2010 bombings (still presumed innocent) continue to suffer indignities in custody.

“We therefore, respectfully, call on all well-meaning Nigerians to join in the call for their bail and the Nigerian government to facilitate the release of the other suspects in custody with a view to attending to their deteriorating health before they die in custody,” the lawyer said.

The goverment should treat them well nah.

I think if they are qualify for bail the court should give them one.
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by kilandcure: 12:43pm On Mar 04, 2012
hope he confessed all his sins before giving up the ghost
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by echobee(f): 1:17pm On Mar 04, 2012
hope so
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by Korrection(m): 2:47pm On Mar 04, 2012
Na wao, for this nairaland some people dey write english sha, abeg next time for those guys who used to force themselves to write correct english and later end up writing nonsense, its better you put it in pidgin than writing trash here, please be warned, !!!!!!
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by maasoap(m): 3:10pm On Mar 04, 2012
@dedom, that is reality staring you in the face. Wake up and stop living in denial.
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by dayokanu(m): 4:13pm On Mar 04, 2012
which state is he from?
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by Nobody: 4:54pm On Mar 04, 2012
Nigeria!
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by camary(m): 6:05pm On Mar 04, 2012
If any of ur family member died in d IBB, wud u request for their bail? Let them face the wrought of d law and be detained like any other criminal until d case is conclusive. Afterall, they re not better than those who lost their lives. Infact, if na me, all of dem 4 don die finish, i no no y we dey waste our money they feed n treat these terrorists. I know some people ll fault me sayiny they re pressumed to be innocent accept proven otherwise but ,
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by opeyemi50505050: 6:52pm On Mar 04, 2012
GOD save Nigeria oh!
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by moshmusth(m): 7:20pm On Mar 04, 2012
@ korrection,u need to clean up ur mess before starting verbal attack on someone, It is to those not for those, Correct urself first
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by velo10: 11:12pm On Mar 04, 2012
Nigerian Prisons - A taste of hell on earth.
Imagine someone being abandoned to defecate on himself without medical attention while still awaiting trial. Whatever happened to human rights, so if one is accused, he's now similar to an animal.
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by Navi(m): 8:13am On Mar 05, 2012
All ds ppl dat ve joined forces to bomb nd kill innocent ppl will some go down ds way IJN.
Re: Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison by humblebee: 10:26am On Mar 05, 2012
onpe

(1) (Reply)

Osun Provides Free Transport For Xmas, New Year / Robert Mugabe Vs The White Man / Establishment Of Amotekun May Put Nigeria’s Unity In Danger – ACF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.