Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) (9250 Views)

The Ijaws Of Southern Nigeria / Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? / The Ghana Empire - 300 CE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 8:09am On Mar 04, 2012
In the thousand years between 900-1900, kingdoms were established, empires were forged and people were conquered. Although these maps may not be accurate, they clearly show us the evolution of the major states of Southern Nigeria.

Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 8:10am On Mar 04, 2012
The next

Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 8:11am On Mar 04, 2012
More

Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 8:12am On Mar 04, 2012
last but not least

Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 8:14am On Mar 04, 2012
Any thoughts, questions, or feedback will be greartlu appreciated.  grin
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by PhysicsQED(m): 9:09am On Mar 04, 2012
Your "900 CE" map pretty much excludes Ife and it excludes whatever polity made Sungbo's Eredo (maybe the predecessor of the Ijebu kingdom?). A little more familiarity with even the limited archaeological work that has been done in southern Nigeria would be useful before anybody made a thread like this.

Also the "1500 CE" map is definitely not an accurate account of the territorial extent of some polities. Among other things, if you (or whoever made the map) were familiar with the existence of  Igala political suzerainty up as far as Nupe, you (or whoever made the map) might have drawn the map differently. Don't know how accurate the "1700 CE" map really is either.

Apart from the fact that multiple kingdoms were excluded, there are also the extremely questionable "influence range" borders drawn for each of the states for all of the different maps.

If I were to elaborate on all of my objections to each of the maps, it would be a very long post, so I'm not going to bother seeing as how this is nothing official.

This single post is as much as I'm going to say on this topic because I don't really see the purpose of this thread except maybe to revise history or provoke controversy.

Adios.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:03pm On Mar 04, 2012
where are the Hausa Bakwai angry
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by ChinenyeN(m): 4:35pm On Mar 04, 2012
What is the deal with the Nri influence range?
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 8:56pm On Mar 04, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Your "900 CE" map pretty much excludes Ife and it excludes whatever polity made Sungbo's Eredo (maybe the predecessor of the Ijebu kingdom?). A little more familiarity with even the limited archaeological work that has been done in southern Nigeria would be useful before anybody made a thread like this.

Also the "1500 CE" map is definitely not an accurate account of the territorial extent of some polities. Among other things, if you (or whoever made the map) were familiar with the existence of  Igala political suzerainty up as far as Nupe, you (or whoever made the map) might have drawn the map differently. Don't know how accurate the "1700 CE" map really is either.

Apart from the fact that multiple kingdoms were excluded, there are also the extremely questionable "influence range" borders drawn for each of the states for all of the different maps.

If I were to elaborate on all of my objections to each of the maps, it would be a very long post, so I'm not going to bother seeing as how this is nothing official.

This single post is as much as I'm going to say on this topic because I don't really see the purpose of this thread except maybe to revise history or provoke controversy.

Adios.

To elaborate on what others might now know is why threads like this exist. In the maps, I purposely excluded Manu minor kingdoms and states and chose to show only the major ones. I also purposely excluded those that I had a limited amount of information on.

As for the influence ranges, I judge them to be more on the near side of accuracy. Of course there's no intention to provoke. Information withheld is information lost.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 8:59pm On Mar 04, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

where are the Hausa Bakwai angry

Southern Nigeria grin

Northern Nigeria would have been too complex (not that the South isn't) and time consuming. If I find enough information and maps on the North, I will make one.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 9:03pm On Mar 04, 2012
ChinenyeN:

I purposely extended the Nri influence range to encompass most of the Igbo-speaking lands.

@All

Also, suggestions on altering these maps will be greatly appreciated.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by ifyalways(f): 9:27pm On Mar 04, 2012
odumchi:

I purposely extended the Nri influence range to encompass most of the Igbo-speaking lands.

Why ?
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:30pm On Mar 04, 2012
odumchi:

Southern Nigeria grin

Northern Nigeria would have been too complex (not that the South isn't) and time consuming. If I find enough information and maps on the North, I will make one.

ok.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by ChinenyeN(m): 10:23pm On Mar 04, 2012
odumchi:

My response is the same as Ifyalways', Why?
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 1:29am On Mar 05, 2012
@ Chinenye and Ifyalways

Well, Nri influence is the reason why Igbos have four market days.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by ChinenyeN(m): 2:31am On Mar 05, 2012
odumchi:

@ Chinenye and Ifyalways
Well, Nri influence is the reason why Igbos have four market days.
People give Nri way too much credit.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by ifyalways(f): 12:15am On Mar 06, 2012
Odumchi, really?educate me please.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 3:27am On Mar 07, 2012
@ Ify

Nri was the first Igbo group to adopt the four day calendar. Nri mythology has it that when the founder of Nri went on a journey to discover the mystery of time, he was greeted by four spirits named "Eke, Orie, Afor, and Nkwo" and upon returning to Nri, he used their to form a calendar.

This calendar system, along with many other Nri-made ideas (such as the ozo/nze title), spread to other parts of Igboland during Nri's golden age along with Nri priests and pioneers. It's also noteworthy to say that the further you go south from the Nri-Awka region the less you see these characteristics of "Nri presence".

Well, the general idea is that any community that uses Eke, Orie, Afor, and Nkwo as market days was in some way or anther influenced by Nri. With this in mind, there are some places that don't use this calendar or ozo/nze for that matter.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by ChinenyeN(m): 3:55am On Mar 07, 2012
odumchi:

[b]Well, the general idea is that any community that uses Eke, Orie, Afor, and Nkwo as market days was in some way or anther influenced by Nri. [/b]With this in mind, there are some places that don't use this calendar or ozo/nze for that matter.
This is obviously guesswork/speculation; unfounded guesswork/speculation, if I may be allowed to speak freely.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:09am On Mar 07, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Agwo adi agha imu ife di ogonogo!
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by ChinenyeN(m): 5:27am On Mar 07, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Agwo adi agha imu ife di ogonogo!
Yea, I don't understand what you're saying. So, if you actually intend on saying something that I can understand, then this is certainly not the way to go about it.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:41pm On Mar 07, 2012
Keep looking at it you will gerrit soon,just as soon as you realize the modestly discussed influence of NRI! And by the way,do men from NGWA wear the traditional"red hat" which originated from the "NZE NA OZO" institution ?
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by ChinenyeN(m): 3:42pm On Mar 07, 2012
Snake [something something] to give birth to something long.
My Guess: Snake cannot help but give birth to something that will also be long.

NRI PRIEST:

And by the way,do men from NGWA wear the traditional"red hat" which originated from the "NZE NA OZO" institution ?
Red Hat wearing in Ngwa is post-colonial, and less than 1% of Ngwa men actually wear it.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by Ptolomeus(m): 5:12pm On Mar 07, 2012
odumchi:

@ Ify

Nri was the first Igbo group to adopt the four day calendar. Nri mythology has it that when the founder of Nri went on a journey to discover the mystery of time, he was greeted by four spirits named "Eke, Orie, Afor, and Nkwo" and upon returning to Nri, he used their to form a calendar.

This calendar system, along with many other Nri-made ideas (such as the ozo/nze title), spread to other parts of Igboland during Nri's golden age along with Nri priests and pioneers. It's also noteworthy to say that the further you go south from the Nri-Awka region the less you see these characteristics of "Nri presence".

Well, the general idea is that any community that uses Eke, Orie, Afor, and Nkwo as market days was in some way or anther influenced by Nri. With this in mind, there are some places that don't use this calendar or ozo/nze for that matter.

Dear friend Odumchi.
As a researcher, I want to thank you for your valuable input.
Both maps, as your comments are of great historical value.
There are always discrepancies when we talk about these issues, ethnic issues, sensitivities, etc, but their contribution is really excellent.
I deeply appreciate it!
Kind regards!

1 Like

Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:40pm On Mar 07, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Red Hat wearing in Ngwa is post-colonial, and less than 1% of Ngwa men actually wear it.

Nri influence on Ngwa might be small but that isnt to say Ngwa wasnt influenced by Nri.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by ChinenyeN(m): 11:38pm On Mar 07, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Nri influence on Ngwa might be small but that isnt to say Ngwa wasnt influenced by Nri.
Ngwa wasn't influenced by Nri. Nri sphere of influence never extended that far south.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 2:35am On Mar 08, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Dear friend Odumchi.
As a researcher, I want to thank you for your valuable input.
Both maps, as your comments are of great historical value.
There are always discrepancies when we talk about these issues, ethnic issues, sensitivities, etc, but their contribution is really excellent.
I deeply appreciate it!
Kind regards!

Your interest and thanks are well appreciated. I did nothing more than restating information that others took the time to discover. Keep on reaserching cool
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 2:40am On Mar 08, 2012
ChinenyeN:

I think he said "Snakes don't divert from giving birth to long things".

Anyway, what you said here is very correct. Not all Igbo people wear "red hats", although, it has become a political symbol for us.

Here are some examples of what other Igbos wear. The first one would be what someone from Nri would wear, the second one would be what someone from my side would wear, and I'm guessing the third hat (minus the isiagu) would be what someone from Ngwaland or anywhere south of that would wear.

1 Like

Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 3:07am On Mar 08, 2012
@ All

I have made some tweaks to the 1700 map. Adding the Owo, Ijebu, Ekiti, and Ondo kingdooms.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by naijamerican: 6:30am On Mar 10, 2012
great post
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by ifyalways(f): 4:05pm On Mar 10, 2012
Lol.
Ndi Ngwa na Nri abuo a no na nld bu ndi isi okpukpu real bad.

Odumchi,the history of the 4 market days seems to be generally accepted here,i think i've heard a different version.Unfortunately,i cant even remember the tale.
Re: A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) by odumchi: 4:20pm On Mar 11, 2012
@ Ify

I guess there are other stories as well. Maybe one day they can all be recorded.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2017 National Festival Of Arts And Culture (Live Photos) / Photo: A Witch Bird Turns Human Being@ Oshodi. / Who Is The Strongest Igwe In Igbo Land.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.