Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,360 members, 7,815,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? (4180 Views)

Number 1 Afrocentric & Handmade Marketplace Now Open!!! / Afrocentric And Handmade Bag / Pls, Do These Colours Blend? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by ZOOTO(m): 7:13pm On Mar 22, 2006
the trend of fashion today shows that a lot of pple try to blend euro and afrocentric fashion without a professional skill. how do u go about doing yours?
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by Seun(m): 1:06am On Mar 23, 2006
I don't. I wear T-shirts on trousers for casual outings and office and native 'buba' and 'sokoto' when going to a bank or somewhere important. I don't really care whether what I'm wearing is African or European as long as it's comfortable.
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by chinani(f): 2:04am On Mar 23, 2006
I love to wear Afrocentric fashion/styles to banquets and formal events. {The real stuff, o, not the junk that when you buy, it says "Made in Mexico" on the inside tag and looks like it costs $5.49 etc. etc.} I haven't found a cheap/affordable way to do this. Most Afrocentric fashion/styles/clothes, I buy from boutiques in major cities. Like I got this REALLY cute dress that I can wear to a nice event in a tiny, D.C. boutique. It cost a pretty penny though. tongue

As a woman, one thing I hate is that you can read or GOOGLE all these African & Nigerian fashion designers and applaud their success but where's their website? Where are the clothes in shops, etc? I assume the clothes are mainly in European stores and haven't made it to American stores. Anyone know the story on this?
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by ZOOTO(m): 9:42am On Mar 23, 2006
seun, i have a couple of designs/styles that'd make you feel a lot more comfortable. and portrays african fashion too.
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by ZOOTO(m): 11:39pm On Mar 24, 2006
what would come to your mind first seeing a white wearing an afrocentric AGBADA or the IGBO APOCHE with a staff in his hand?
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by zebudaya(m): 1:45am On Mar 25, 2006
It's velvet not apoche. and it's akwa oche not apoche

what comes to mind, it's just like wearing a suit If you have an expensive agbada on. And you carry yourself with prestige. I think you have major dough.

same goes with the Igbo velvet with the tiger heads, and the red caps (0zo). If you wear a cheap suit, or cheap looking agbada you are on your own

I don't think you can blend eurocentric and afrocentric fashion successfully. unless you are talking about accessories like Prada shoes, or sunglasses. I used to see dudes who wore their dashiki's with jeans. didn't look too good.
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by ZOOTO(m): 1:54am On Mar 25, 2006
thanks for the correction, i should have known that.

you are looking at it from the point of wearing an afrocentric top on an eurocentric pant. don't you think that using an african fabrique to make an english style of shirt for instance would look better. instead of wearing the two typically different cultured oriented fashion simultaneosly.
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by gigitte(f): 11:01pm On Mar 25, 2006
sometimes, i make english styles with trad like my wonderful wonderful red damask skirt, that skirt is an eye opener lol

but i also will wear a suit and use damask as a headtie or a shawl, i love that damask

or i will wear a trad skirt and a nice plain top lol
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by reniks(f): 11:54am On Mar 26, 2006
Its convenient for me to be more Eurocentric than Afrocentric,so i haven't been successful in blending the two.As a student i get to wear my Jeans,tops and stuff during the week and at times on fridays i wear my traditional outfits.At a time i had a nice fitted shirt made with ankara which i wore with my black jeans and the combination was nice.For weddings,church and other ceremonies i stick with traditional attires since the better part of my dressing is"eurocentric".
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by ZOOTO(m): 8:59pm On Mar 26, 2006
have u ever had the opportunity to see a guy in a suit made with "Ankara"?, or a lady in a cocktail dress creatively designed with Ankara or Linen with a little embroidery. IT's really really nice. if haven't get someone to do it for you and give a try, better still, you can have me get you one from my collections.
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by chinani(f): 9:03pm On Mar 26, 2006
I really like the cocktail dress idea! Yes, very much. You have a collection? Where can it be found/seen?
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by ZOOTO(m): 9:15pm On Mar 26, 2006
how do you determine if  an attire look good on you, by your look in the mirror, a feel of comfortability or other people's opinion about what you are wearing.?
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by ZOOTO(m): 9:28pm On Mar 26, 2006
yes i have a collection of about 80 pictures, although working on my website presently here on the internet. so you all can have access to them as soon as it's ready.
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by reniks(f): 10:04pm On Mar 26, 2006
Yeah i've seen suits and party dresses made with ankara,they look stunning.But i cant think of using it for something casual enough for school.Once my classmate wore an ankara gypsy skirt with a vest top,adorned with the right accessories and it was lovely.It was a good blend of the traditional and foreign,and it looked good for school.Got other ideas?
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by ZOOTO(m): 8:10am On Mar 27, 2006
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion?
« #13 on: Yesterday at 10:04:01 PM »
Yeah i've seen suits and party dresses made with ankara,they look stunning.But i can't think of using it for something casual enough for school.Once my classmate wore an ankara gypsy skirt with a vest top,adorned with the right accessories and it was lovely.It was a good blend of the traditional and foreign,and it looked good for school.Got other ideas?

alright, think of it this way, then you'd know that it's more than a casual yet fit for school.
A coffee brown linen top that has a chinese neck style, fitted on your body with a carton brown hand knitted embroidery, worn on brown{any shade} pair of jean, or a gypsy skirt made of linen.
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by reniks(f): 8:59am On Mar 27, 2006
Yeah that looks nice,infact i have one like that.A light pink linen,chinese neck, with a fucshia pink hand embroidery and its nice with jeans.Y didn't i think of that?
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by gigitte(f): 1:29am On Apr 02, 2006
im wearing that now!
my mom brought three of them for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by reniks(f): 7:23am On Apr 02, 2006
Lucky youuuu!
Re: How Do You Blend Eurocentric And Afrocentric Fashion? by iamaccessorized: 4:56pm On Feb 08, 2013
*LAGOS CREATIVE TRAINING EXTRAVAGANZA!

HURRAY!!!
This is your once in a lifetime opportunity to learn how to make jewelries & many more.....and become YOUR OWN BOSS FOREVER!!!

»EXCLUSIVE LAGOS TRAINING:
There is going to be a detailed teaching on how to make 15 different types of exotic, personalized cum CUSTOMIZED jewelry; THAT WILL GO WITH YOUR ATTIRES PER TIME.

»»Training fee is only 20k and we will provide training equipments @ d venue.

•Venue is 6, Gbajobi Street, off Oritshe Street, by Balogun b/stop, Ikeja.

>PS: Trainees are expected to pay for the training latest 12th February 2013.

| The training entails: •How to use Fabric (ankara) to make 3 different types of necklaces,
•1 hair band
•1 ring,
•1 earring,
•1 bangle, &
•1 brooch.

¤Bonus:
»Participants are also going to learn how to make wedding hand fans, 3 different types of fascinators, and 3 different types of hair accessories with the use of ribbons and beautiful trimmings.

*The account details are: Account No: 0033243163
Name: Adeoti Titilola Gtbank.

When payment has been made please indicate & come to the venue with your teller.

PLEASE NOTE that you are expected to pay ahead to secure a space, so as to enable us arrange the necessary equipments for the training. The training duration is
16th February 2013: 9am to 5pm
17th February 2013: 12pm to 6pm

Call or ping us on 08035400904 Pin:2694CDCE for more details

Thank you very much.

Management.

(1) (Reply)

Are Military Style Dresses Childish Or Mature? / Where Can I Get Original Marykay Product In Abuja? / Designer Perfumes For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.