Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,439 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days (12535 Views)

''Free Zakzaky'' Protest By Students & Corpers In Abuja (Photos) / Ongoing Protest By Dismissed Immigration Personnels Recruited Under GEJ / Students Killed In Oyo Protest By Policemen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Jettage: 4:14am On Mar 08, 2012
Are you surporting the government that does not care about you? Just imagine breaking the Law of a Vaccine card otherwhise known as Yellow Paper to gain entry into South Africa, were they wrong to deport your foolish travellers who sees nothing good in Nigeria, or rather damaged Nigeria while seeking greener pastures elsewhere.
Trust me,
My MTN line will be ON against Nigeria.
Our foolish Rulers should hide their shame in the mud
I surport South Africa,
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by udezue(m): 4:15am On Mar 08, 2012
So because some thieving Senator was among those deported Nigerians should now lose sleep? When ordinary citizens even get killed do we protest? I think ppl should just go about their regular business.
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Onlytruth(m): 4:20am On Mar 08, 2012
If I use MTN it would be childish to switch it off. This is a battle between the Nigerian government and South African government. The government should do whatever they have to do to restore some dignity to Nigerians. That is the least they can do for us after stealing so much of our money.
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Bornagain190: 5:49am On Mar 08, 2012
I support it, even if it is for a minute by 12noon, am going to do it. Moreso mtn tariffs are incredibly high, and they hardly give anything free to customers, while they make billions!
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Daymauler: 6:20am On Mar 08, 2012
Good response from Nigeria government!

…ask Foreign Affairs Minister to invoke the tenets of reciprocity

BY EMMAN OVUAKPORIE

ABUJA – THE Chairman of House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs, Mrs Nnena Elendu-Ukeje,Tuesday asked the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Gbenga Ashiru to invoke the tenets of reciprocity in tackling the present face-off between Nigeria and South Africa.

The House Committee had on Monday summoned the Minister to appear before it and explain the relationship between Nigeria and other African Countries over the repatriation of 125 Nigerians aboard South Africa Airline and Arik Air, a Nigerian carrier.

Mrs Elendu-Ukeje did not mince words when she told the Minister that “the whole thing has turned into an affront and the tenets of reciprocity that is the thrust of our diplomatic policy should be invoked in tackling the situation because it was an illegal deportation.”

The Nigerian Embassy was not informed before such an act was perpetuated on Nigerians so it was illegal and should be seen from that purview, Elendu-Ukeje said.

In his response, Ashiru said, “I share the same view with you on the issue but the bi-national Commission headed by both Vice Presidents of both countries had already started discussions on the issue.

“SA does not have a monopoly of deportation as they should not take our friendly business environment for granted.”

“We are going to make sure that we convey the next session of the international commission. I want to make one thing clear, African countries including South Africa should not think Nigeria’s maturity and the friendliness of our people to foreigners for granted.

Also they should not take the friendly business environment we have in Nigeria whereby companies are making more profits from Nigeria than in South Africa for granted. I believe as we go on these are the issues we’ll bring to the table and sort out. I believe that the present administration is determined to ensure the dignity of Nigerians anywhere. When you deport two Nigerians from a country, there will be appropriate reaction. It may not be retaliation but we will know that we are responding one way or the other.

He said “the National Transitional Commission, NTC was not the cause. The issue of NTC is not the problem that gave rise to the deportation that we were faced with. The underlying problem has to do with the attitude of the ordinary South African to Nigerians.

They have a xenophobic attitude towards Nigerians. We have to address this under the international commission between the two countries. Others on immigration procedure, deportation of Nigerians, police harassment, attitude to Nigerians, will be covered under the meeting.

Ashiru said, “We will demand an apology for the act and it will be measure for measure on issues like this.

“South Africa immigration authorities and officials do not have the monopoly of deporting travellers, I’m sure you also saw the newspapers today. So we will get to the root of the problem. South Africa will know that we are very serious on this matter and henceforth any deportation of any Nigeria we will meet it with equal reciprocal measure, we will not let it go ‘”unreciprocated”, that you can take from me, and we intend to do that.”

The Minister further explained that “I was not informed and that’s why we were shocked because for a brotherly country, South Africa should have followed normal diplomatic procedure. You don’t just deport our nationals and deport them back, it’s not done. In fact before they do it, they  are supposed to invite our own officials in Jo’burg to come over so that they will parley. But I believe that the immigration officials in South Africa are hostile. “

http://thewillnigeria.com/politics/12856-Nigeria-Deports-Another-Set-South-African-Travellers.html
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Daymauler: 6:23am On Mar 08, 2012
^^^^^^ wrong link. Here's the right story for the link supplied above

Nigeria Deports Another Set Of South African Travellers
06/03/2012 19:27:00 THEWILL
Font size:

SAN FRANCISCO, March 06, (THEWILL) – The Federal Government of Nigeria Tuesday night turned back another set of South African nationals that arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos onboard a South African Airways flight.

More than 50 travellers holding South African passports were refused entry into Nigeria by Nigerian immigration officials as the Nigerian government escalated the diplomatic row between both countries following the deportation of 125 Nigerian travellers from the Oliver Tambo International Airport in Johanesburg by the South African immigration and Health officials, over the validity of the yellow fever certificates tendered by the travellers.

So far, at least 80 South African nationals have been refused entry into Nigeria – 28 travellers on Monday night – just as many Nigerians and federal legislators at the National Assembly have berated the South African government for deporting Nigerian nationals over the weekend.

The South African government is yet to issue a formal statement concerning its action even though the Nigerian government has made a formal complaint through the South African High Commission in Abuja.

Meanwhile, Nigerian Minister of Health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu, Tuesday in a press briefing said the yellow fever cards Nigerian travellers tendered in South Africa were genuine and duly issued by the appropriate agency, adding that the last yellow fever case recorded in Nigeria was in 1995.

“Nigeria is not endemic to yellow fever and there is no epidemic right now. The last confirmed cases of yellow fever in Nigeria were in 1995 when 25 cases with one death were recorded. Countries at risk of yellow fever may be required to have their citizens travelling out to take the yellow fever vaccination and therefore have a Yellow Card in accordance with the International Health Regulation of 2005…

“So far, no country, no individual, no group has made any report to the Ministry on the possession of fake yellow fever card by an individual. If there are such cases, the ministry is ready to have reports for investigation.

“It is curious that a country that had issued entry visas to intending travellers which issuance was predicated on the presentation of a valid yellow fever card will then turn around to deport those travellers. If these travellers had fake Yellow Fever cards, how did they come about valid visas?

“To the best of our knowledge, there was no reason to deport and embarrass these Nigerians.

“The action of South African immigration towards the Nigerian travellers is against the IHR 2005 Article 32. I am happy this issue is being appropriately handled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,” the Minister stated.

http://thewillnigeria.com/politics/12856-Nigeria-Deports-Another-Set-South-African-Travellers.html
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Kennyyo: 8:31am On Mar 08, 2012
My phones stays off from now until the row is resolved. No be poor services person dey receive before?
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by ayusman16(m): 9:45am On Mar 08, 2012
Kennyyo:

My phones stays off from now until the row is resolved. No be poor services person dey receive before?

You dey receive calls before? Anybody who serious with his/her businesses will ignore this call. How can i switch off my phone just because of some stupid diplomatic row. If you dont meet the requirements to enter their country then get out.
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by otokx(m): 9:46am On Mar 08, 2012
My phones remain on.
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Kennyyo: 9:55am On Mar 08, 2012
Biz? How many people use one line in Naija. All you feigning ignorance don't even recharge ur mtn lines. Any serious biz person in Naija does not use a single biz line. So as I earlier stated, my mtn line stays off. Infact its at home now, switched off. We need to deal with this xenophobic people even though the ultimate fault isn't theirs.
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by mcchegzy(m): 10:12am On Mar 08, 2012
d govt is rantin coz a servin senator was among those deported, do dey care abt d masses, if my fone goes off, mtn still charges for my bis sub
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Mbeki: 10:54am On Mar 08, 2012
The switch off protest was very successful yesterday! about 10 million subscribers complied!

This is day 2, please just switch off your phone for 1 minute by 12 noon.

The call is not to support Nigeria government, it's about fighting for our brothers, remember, it can happen to any of us.

Don't listen to all these goons who knows nothing about economic politics, after all MTN gives you the worst service and rakes in billions of Naira! Nothing free from them except THANK YOU NIGERIA! we should show them we are not that foolish! SWITCH OFF YOUR PHONE FOR ONE MINUTE BY 12 NOON TODAY!
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Bawss1(m): 10:56am On Mar 08, 2012
See this dreamer. 10 million customers switched off their phones where? grin
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Bawss1(m): 10:59am On Mar 08, 2012
Are you sure it is not the normal 10 million people who NEPA didn't supply electricity to so they couldn't charge their phones. grin grin
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Mbeki: 11:01am On Mar 08, 2012
Bawss1:

Are you sure it is not the normal 10 million people who NEPA didn't supply electricity to so they couldn't charge their phones. grin grin

If you can write 10 million in figure, I will reply you! meanwhile, keep your phone on and keep recharging while MTN repays you with bad services and extorts you to poverty!
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by ayusman16(m): 11:15am On Mar 08, 2012
Mbeki:

The switch off protest was very successful yesterday! about 10 million subscribers complied!

This is day 2, please just switch off your phone for 1 minute by 12 noon.

The call is not to support Nigeria government, it's about fighting for our brothers, remember, it can happen to any of us.

Don't listen to all these goons who knows nothing about economic politics, after all MTN gives you the worst service and rakes in billions of Naira! Nothing free from them except THANK YOU NIGERIA! we should show them we are not that foolish! SWITCH OFF YOUR PHONE FOR ONE MINUTE BY 12 NOON TODAY!

Do you have a special beef for MTN or for S.A government for deporting your thieving Senator?

Do you know how many Nigerians have stake in MTN?

You may need to stop deceiving yourself that 10million people switched off their phones in accordance to your directive. And better transfer your aggression to your government for not complying to simple directive and stop attacking investors who have done more meaningful development than your corrupt government.
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Mbeki: 11:54am On Mar 08, 2012
ayusman16:

Do you have a special beef for MTN or for S.A government for deporting your thieving Senator?

Do you know how many Nigerians have stake in MTN?

You may need to stop deceiving yourself that 10million people switched off their phones in accordance to your directive. And better transfer your aggression to your government for not complying to simple directive and stop attacking investors who have done more meaningful development than your corrupt government.

I know you did not participate in Occupy Nigeria Protest, you always want it cool and easy, life is not like that brother!
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by ayusman16(m): 12:02pm On Mar 08, 2012
Mbeki:

I know you did not participate in Occupy Nigeria Protest, you always want it cool and easy, life is not like that brother!

This is different. Our system in Naija is corrupt and we are lawless but that does not mean it is the same elsewhere. They've been deporting Nigerians who try entering their country with fake doc so why must it be different now that a Senator was involved? And trying to take it on Investors like dstv, mtn and co is unreasonable. Remember we also have investors there too.

Our government should put their house in order and stop whinning.
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by styles2009: 12:33pm On Mar 08, 2012
A good idea but Nigerians are too intelligent and would come up with all theories.

Secondly, Its only in Africa, SA would phuck with just 1 Naija Senator and hell let loose, Na so Senator get power reach? grin
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Mbeki: 4:55pm On Mar 08, 2012
About 18 million responded today! the protest is working perfectly
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Bawss1(m): 5:15pm On Mar 08, 2012
Keep making up stuff, I bet tomorrow you will say 25 million people complied with your imaginary protest. Funny
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by ayusman16(m): 5:16pm On Mar 08, 2012
@Mbeki, how did u get d numbers? You couldn't even get 10 people on Nairaland.
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Limaoscar: 9:43pm On Mar 08, 2012
Why don't you guys  switch-off completely  and go back to NITEL  in the Spirit of Patriotism tongue
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Mbeki: 3:30pm On Mar 09, 2012
SA apologized! That's the power of protest, MTN knew they are on their way out of this country, if they don't call their government to order.

For all patriot that responded to these noble call, may your name be written in gold in the foot print of time!
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by ayusman16(m): 3:48pm On Mar 09, 2012
@Mbeki, you are so jobless, Your so called protest did not make any difference.
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by eledalo: 3:58pm On Mar 09, 2012
259 million people have responded today. Even Obasanjo and Obama switched off their MTN lines.
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by LUDALOOLO(m): 12:30pm On Mar 12, 2012
betty009: I am Miss Betty Bill, I work with Dell Company here in the United State of America (Chicago Branch)

Sir it have come to my notice that Electronics sell very well there in West Africa, meaning that Nigeria is the place were Electronics is highly required in the Market.

i have decided to look our for God fearing and humble Nigerian, due to i am planning on establishing a Whole Sales and Retailers buying site there in Nigeria, where Nigerians can buy it cheap and easy.

These men are to represent the me there in Nigeria and each will handle each selling site there

But first, i will give each man a try by sending little quantity of the products to them and if you can sell and send the money back, then you have created a trust.

If you are interested you are to forward any required information to my mail
Full Name:
to (bettybill98@yahoo.com)

Beware of thos so called betty bill
Re: Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days by Supremplus(m): 10:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
Now nigeria is realy playin d subordinate,y protest if it is something or a country we can do without?
Protestin is a sign of subordinatin,more ova whose face are we coverin some unscrupulous nigerians or nigeria? They ar nt even ashame of askin 4 protest,n lack of knowledge is rily killin so many nigerians,imagin som1 callin me 2 swtchoff my phone bcus boko haram want 2 make use of phone conetions 2 nyt?
Rily funy nigerians n nigeria,my phone is on o!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Operation Crocodile Smile II In Niger Delta Begins Friday / Madalla Catholic Church Bombers Arrested / Udom Emmanuel And Makarfi At Flag-off Of LG Elections In Uyo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.