Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,204 members, 7,860,326 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:26 AM

Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk - Health (518) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk (8263182 Views)

Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) / Can I Still Get Pregnant Or Do I Remove The Fibroid / Revealed: The Secret Fertility System That Cures Infertility & Get You Pregnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) (520) (521) ... (6961) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by HARMYMY(f): 10:56am On May 31, 2015
Alemo 50 good morning and thanks for the gesture.
Am FTM 35wks pregnant and I have issue with having sex, even b4 I took in . my husband find it difficult to penetrate me due to he don't like seeing me in pain because I used to cry any time he makes attempt to sleep with me. Am worry if I can have virginal delivery or book for CS
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by marcjane(f): 12:14pm On May 31, 2015
Thanks.What scares me most,is that the scan said "poor cardiac activity.
kaffy4bill:

My younger sis had spotting on and off for almost a month in preg and her baby is doin fine now,also seen and managed patients wit threatened abortions wic progresses to normal and healthy babies. You nid to rest as much as u can, u nid strict be
d rest, u minimize ur walking to d barest minimum of goin to d bathroom and toilet to wee and poo. And pls don't strain while trying to poo. Take ur folic acid, lots of fluids and fruits and stay healthy. All wil end in praise.. hope dis helps
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by cutiereborn(f): 12:15pm On May 31, 2015
Happy sunday to all mamas in the house, both vigilante & pushing.
You are most welcome to the thread @ Alemo50.
Please o, can anyone tell me if this is normal... Yesterday DH was giving me some all round massage and concentrated on the boobs, and both brought out liquid almost like squriting (don't know if I got the spelling correct). DH has been afriad to touch that area since and na dat side dey make me dey in d mood wella before the do (covers face). We do the do often, though am 6months gone by this week.
Sorry for the long story.
@proudmum, I trust u r doing fine. Let us know please.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by marcjane(f): 12:15pm On May 31, 2015
lovinam:
Stay positive. The good work the Lord started in your life shall be complete. Take a total bed rest. Don't lift a finger!!
Thanks dear.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Alemo50: 12:46pm On May 31, 2015
tikosdear:
Good morning alemo50,it is so good to hv u here,pls I hv a Question,I had a scan the last time I went to the hospital,and the doctor said that I hv low laying placenta,from the scan,I was 31wks but from my lmp,I was 29wks and 2days.the Dr said that I will repeat the scan at 36wks,that most times it normally goes up,but that if it doesn't,that's means I hv to do CS. Is there anything that I can do to Mk it go up?and at what week will it be best to carry out the cs,if it does not go up? I am a first time Mum and I am a bit worried.thanks.

Hi. Placenta previa is a condition in which the placenta is low in the womb, such that it can prevent the baby from passing through the birth canal. More worrisome is the fact that it can cause severe uncontrollable bleeding, but it would have been giving warning signs in form of small recurrent blessing episodes. It is therefore mandatory that every woman has a scan to localize the placenta.

Where the placenta is low-lying before the third trimester, the woman is reassured that more than three-quarter of such will migrate upward by the third trimester. However, during the upward migration the umbilical cord at the placenta attachment may remain low (vasa previa) with the risk that during labour it will tear and bleeding from the cord will be from the baby leading rapidly fetal death.

Therefore, the current evidence-based management of a placenta found to be low-lying before third trimester is as follows:

Step 1. The woman is warned that if she bleeds at any time, she should be admitted and remain in the hospital till delivery.
Step 2. If she does not bleed, she should present for a scan in the third trimester eg 36 weeks
Step 3. If it remains low at the third trimester scan, then it is called placenta previa.
This is then classified as 'minor' if the edge of the placenta is farther than 2cm away from the cervical os, or 'major' if it is within 2cm. The older classification into types I, II, III, and IV is obsolete. The classification into minor and major is based on the fact that vaginal delivery is allowed for minor cases provided there is no vasa previa, thereby avoiding unnecessary CS for most patients.
Step 4. Major placenta previa requires CS.
Step 5. If it is minor, a Doppler ultrasound scan is done to see if there is any vasa previa.
Step 6. Minor, and no vasa previa: Vaginal delivery is offered.
Step 7. Minor, with vasa previa: CS is indicated
Step 8. Where there is no placenta previa, and no vasa previa, Vaginal delivery is offered.

Now, for your own case, since you have not had a CS before, your management should be according to the above steps. For those who have have had a CS before, and now has placenta previa, an additional test of Doppler scan is still required to determine whether the placenta is 'morbidly adherent' onto the uterus, a condition called placenta acretta. In this condition, the placenta is attached to the previous CS scar, and so will not separate during the next CS, resulting in severe bleeding, and most of the time death. Therefore, such cases are best delivered by CS in a well-prepared centre by a highly experienced obstetrician, with blood transfusion facilities at hand.

I have gone into much details in answering your questions because whenever I hear of any woman dying during CS for placenta previa, it turns out that such women had a previous CS, complicated by placenta previa. Similarly, anytime I hear that a baby die when there was delivery of a woman who, though had no placenta previa but bled during first stage of labor, I ask if she ever had a low-lying placenta. If the answer was yes, I would say, she should have had a Doppler scan before delivery to rule out vasa previa.

So madam, your next step is to do a repeat scan with Doppler in the third trimester. Once you have done it, you can take a picture of the color Doppler and upload it here for further discussion if you do not mind.

Now some doctors would insist on CS for all types of placenta previa, whether minor or major. What you should do in such cases is to ask for the exact distance between the placenta and your internal os. If it is less than 2cm, don't worry. If more than 2cm, show him/her the literature stating that if there is no vasa previa you should not undergo CS as the risk of CS is higher than the risk of a placenta farther tan 2 cm away from the cervical os. While not being rude, you should let your health care providers know that it is your right to make an INFORMED DECISION BASED UPON BEST AVAILABLE EVIDENCE. Except for occasional instances, most women that I did Doppler scan for who had this experience were able to persuade their doctors to see reason with the available evidence and had successful vaginal delivery. CS has complications of its own also.

6 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by lovinam: 12:49pm On May 31, 2015
Hahahahahahah. Today na sunday o! Its normal na. Its d stimulation that caused it. If u squeeze you lemon the liquid will surel come out.
cutiereborn:
Please o, can anyone tell me if this is normal... Yesterday DH was giving me some all round massage and concentrated on the boobs, and both brought out liquid almost like squriting (don't know if I got the spelling correct). DH has been afriad to touch that area since and na dat side dey make me dey in d mood wella before the do (covers face). We do the do often, though am 6months gone by this week.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Alemo50: 12:53pm On May 31, 2015
cutiereborn:

Hi. Great to have you mention this. Most women are too shy to ask questions from us doctors at the clinic about intimate matters, and most doctors are embarrassed to bring up the issues. So, anything to encourage our women to air their concerns is most welcome. Now to answer your question, if you are not hurt by it, no medically genuine reason to withhold from it.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by lovinam: 12:57pm On May 31, 2015
It measn browsing
beedam:

Please what is f***k? I'm lost grin

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by tikosdear(f): 12:58pm On May 31, 2015
[thanks so much for your quick response,I will do exactly what you said.i am most grateful.have a nice day. quote author=Alemo50 post=34276471]

Hi. Placenta previa is a condition in which the placenta is low in the womb, such that it can prevent the baby from passing through the birth canal. More worrisome is the fact that it can cause severe uncontrollable bleeding, but it would have been giving warning signs in form of small recurrent blessing episodes. It is therefore mandatory that every woman has a scan to localize the placenta.

Where the placenta is low-lying before the third trimester, the woman is reassured that more than three-quarter of such will migrate upward by the third trimester. However, during the upward migration the umbilical cord at the placenta attachment may remain low (vasa previa) with the risk that during labour it will tear and bleeding from the cord will be from the baby leading rapidly fetal death.

Therefore, the current evidence-based management of a placenta found to be low-lying before third trimester is as follows:

Step 1. The woman is warned that if she bleeds at any time, she should be admitted and remain in the hospital till delivery.
Step 2. If she does not bleed, she should present for a scan in the third trimester eg 36 weeks
Step 3. If it remains low at the third trimester scan, then it is called placenta previa.
This is then classified as 'minor' if the edge of the placenta is farther than 2cm away from the cervical os, or 'major' if it is within 2cm. The older classification into types I, II, III, and IV is obsolete. The classification into minor and major is based on the fact that vaginal delivery is allowed for minor cases provided there is no vasa previa, thereby avoiding unnecessary CS for most patients.
Step 4. Major placenta previa requires CS.
Step 5. If it is minor, a Doppler ultrasound scan is done to see if there is any vasa previa.
Step 6. Minor, and no vasa previa: Vaginal delivery is offered.
Step 7. Minor, with vasa previa: CS is indicated
Step 8. Where there is no placenta previa, and no vasa previa, Vaginal delivery is offered.

Now, for your own case, since you have not had a CS before, your management should be according to the above steps. For those who have have had a CS before, and now has placenta previa, an additional test of Doppler scan is still required to determine whether the placenta is 'morbidly adherent' onto the uterus, a condition called placenta acretta. In this condition, the placenta is attached to the previous CS scar, and so will not separate during the next CS, resulting in severe bleeding, and most of the time death. Therefore, such cases are best delivered by CS in a well-prepared centre by a highly experienced obstetrician, with blood transfusion facilities at hand.

I have gone into much details in answering your questions because whenever I hear of any woman dying during CS for placenta previa, it turns out that such women had a previous CS, complicated by placenta previa. Similarly, anytime I hear that a baby die when there was delivery of a woman who, though had no placenta previa but bled during first stage of labor, I ask if she ever had a low-lying placenta. If the answer was yes, I would say, she should have had a Doppler scan before delivery to rule out vasa previa.

So madam, your next step is to do a repeat scan with Doppler in the third trimester. Once you have done it, you can take a picture of the color Doppler and upload it here for further discussion if you do not mind.

Now some doctors would insist on CS for all types of placenta previa, whether minor or major. What you should do in such cases is to ask for the exact distance between the placenta and your internal os. If it is less than 2cm, don't worry. If more than 2cm, show him/her the literature stating that if there is no vasa previa you should not undergo CS as the risk of CS is higher than the risk of a placenta farther tan 2 cm away from the cervical os. While not being rude, you should let your health care providers know that it is your right to make an INFORMED DECISION BASED UPON BEST AVAILABLE EVIDENCE. Except for occasional instances, most women that I did Doppler scan for who had this experience were able to persuade their doctors to see reason with the available evidence and had successful vaginal delivery. CS has complications of its own also.[/quote]
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by lovinam: 12:58pm On May 31, 2015
@ Alemo50 God bless you sir
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Alemo50: 12:58pm On May 31, 2015
HARMYMY:
Alemo 50 good morning and thanks for the gesture.
Am FTM 35wks pregnant and I have issue with having sex, even b4 I took in . my husband find it difficult to penetrate me due to he don't like seeing me in pain because I used to cry any time he makes attempt to sleep with me. Am worry if I can have virginal delivery or book for CS

Hi HARMYMY. Your complaint is referred to as vaginismus. It is involuntary contraction of the pelvic muscles during an attempt at intercourse. Because of the high level of hormones during pregnancy, all your muscles would yield to allow for passage of the baby, so you can have a successful vaginal delivery
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Alemo50: 1:07pm On May 31, 2015
marcjane:
Thanks for the explaination.just saw the blood spotting for the 2nd time last night and in d midnight

t turned brownish colour,this usually occur during
urinating.
This morning it turned reddish and then brownish again.scan 8wks4d but i know is more than that cos my LMP was march 18.
doc gave me DUPHASTON dydrogestrone,MAXIRON and other medicine with no name.i do hv light pain and cramps.
pls where can dat ultrascan be done,i stay in surulere.Thanks
p.

OMVIAL 4D Ultrasound Centre, 9 Fadeyi Street, off Obafemi Awolowo Way, Near Ikeja Bus Stop at Ikeja. 08036166396. Best of luck
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by marcjane(f): 1:13pm On May 31, 2015
Thanks.May God bless you.
Alemo50:

OMVIAL 4D Ultrasound Centre, 9 Fadeyi Street, off Obafemi Awolowo Way, Near Ikeja Bus Stop at Ikeja. 08036166396. Best of luck
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by HARMYMY(f): 1:18pm On May 31, 2015
Alemo50:

Hi HARMYMY. Your complaint is referred to as vaginismus. It is involuntary contraction of the pelvic muscles during an attempt at intercourse. Because of the high level of hormones during pregnancy, all your muscles would yield to allow for passage of the baby, so you can have a successful vaginal delivery

Thanks for being their
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by helovesme(f): 1:29pm On May 31, 2015
Alemo50:

Wow! Nice to know there's a 4D scan centre in Lagos. I'm going to pass this on to my friend.

I'm not based in Nigeria and all my scans have been the usual 2D scans.

I'm having a 4D private scan done next month (they are not that cheap tho grin) and I'm so excited about it.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by helovesme(f): 1:38pm On May 31, 2015
Alemo50

I have been battling with carpal tunnel syndrome on my left wrist. It started while I was around 20weeks preggers.

I have used everything - from deep heat to robb to aboniki. No relief. I even went as far as placing hot water bottle on the wrist all night - no relief instead I ended up with red inflamed skin. embarassed lipsrsealed

Tired of all my DIY, I saw a GP. She said only solution was painkillers (something stronger than pcm and codeine) but I declined as I'm trying to avoid as much as possible taking any meds.

I went to another GP. He suggested I wear a splint on my wrist. Now, the splint provides very little relief, I hate wearing it at work and it makes sleeping uncomfortable at night. angry

Any solution please? sad

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Pelupelu: 2:10pm On May 31, 2015
Happy sunday to all....pls help av been limping 4 weeks..whAt can I do I av bin on pain reliever and calcium and it nt relieving
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by cutiereborn(f): 2:56pm On May 31, 2015
Alemo50:

Hi. Great to have you mention this. Most women are too shy to ask questions from us doctors at the clinic about intimate matters, and most doctors are embarrassed to bring up the issues. So, anything to encourage our women to air their concerns is most welcome. Now to answer your question, if you are not hurt by it, no medically genuine reason to withhold from it.
Thank you Sir. Good to know.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by cutiereborn(f): 2:57pm On May 31, 2015
lovinam:
Hahahahahahah. Today na sunday o! Its normal na. Its d stimulation that caused it. If u squeeze you lemon the liquid will surel come out.
Thank you Senior, I say make I ask as per FTM things.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by sheweezy(f): 3:13pm On May 31, 2015
Team June, oya fall for line make I take roll call, some classmates don graduate already like Cutielucy. So for roll call since na me dey take am and as a good class rep, I go put my name for first. Others answer present so I go edit and put ya name
Sheweezy grin
Kechyl
Olaoyekemi
Nggie
jany
Biggal
Bimsusy
Burified
sugah
Lizzylois
eazee
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by zaynie(f): 4:37pm On May 31, 2015
Thanks @ Alemo50.

My son is doing great. He shows no physiological symptoms due to the heart murmur. His cardiologist insists that we bring him for observations every 3months or at anytime he has cough or any other illness.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by marcjane(f): 5:22pm On May 31, 2015
@alemo50,this is the scan and im still loosing blood.

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by modath(f): 5:55pm On May 31, 2015
@Proudmum38 @Prouddad38,

The suspense is getting too much, how far?
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by tchiwinnie: 5:58pm On May 31, 2015
wow, long tym network no gree me comment since. Plenty oldies come surface, julieni, maran 1983, phunielomo, byvan03(u just dey change moniker ba), lyndaryoce, smokeydrinkey, chifreke.I hail all of una o. Na only Donatee wey no come.
@ my chief Alemo50, respect sir! God bless u.
@marcjane, pls try to relax.Observe strict bedrest biko.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by marcjane(f): 6:13pm On May 31, 2015
Thanks
tchiwinnie:
wow, long tym network no gree me comment since. Plenty oldies come surface, julieni, maran 1983, phunielomo, byvan03(u just dey change moniker ba), lyndaryoce, smokeydrinkey, chifreke.I hail all of una o. Na only Donatee wey no come.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Alemo50: 6:17pm On May 31, 2015
marcjane:
@alemo50,this is the scan and im still loosing blood.

If you are still losing blood, you should do the Doppler scan to know what you should do. You cannot afford to wait for the two weeks
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Alemo50: 6:19pm On May 31, 2015
zaynie:
Thanks @ Alemo50.

My son is doing great. He shows no physiological symptoms due to the heart murmur. His cardiologist insists that we bring him for observations every 3months or at anytime he has cough or any other illness.

Thank God
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by UmmTwins2: 6:32pm On May 31, 2015
Iffffffy:
Dis backache no get part two, #teamoctober anyone experiencing such, I think its too early fa, we still have a long way to go na
eyah, sorry team mate. My own na Braxton hicks, e no easy. May God see us thru to our desired happy end. Ameen. Nurse kaffy welcome back o, all d senior mamas 10x for ur help all d time. May God keep n bless our LOs, our joy shall be permanent inshaAllaah. Ameen. MGeey n d rest mamas preparing to offload, may God make it easy for u. We await ur BS
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by marcjane(f): 6:33pm On May 31, 2015
ok,thanks.That add and phone no is your own.
Alemo50:

If you are still losing blood, you should do the Doppler scan to know what you should do. You cannot afford to wait for the two weeks
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by mummy2be: 6:48pm On May 31, 2015
How una dey now?beedam d trouble finder how is our cutie?my rgrds...Nursekaffy1 of Africa how work?epele o..proudmum hope all is well,na torchlight we dey take find u o abeg come out,lovinam how ur side?i salute everybody o
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by byvan03: 7:14pm On May 31, 2015
beedam:

All through my nine months pregnancy, she didn't deem it fit to come check me even as my hubby no dey around and I don't have a mother. She came two days after I delivered and she will just sit down doing nothing. She couldn't even do the hot water massage for me. And she expects a FTM like me with heavenly tear to still walk around to do things for her. NO,i wont cos I don't pretend.

To add salt upon injury,she said she has blood pressure and doctor advised her to eat as early as 6am( trust me,i no do am as I no wan die now). So I should always wake up and help her and cook very early around 5am. I ate bread for the first three days I came home from hospital till my neighbour starts bringing food for me.

Baby will cry and suck me all through the night and she won't even turn to see what's happening to us.

She didn't clean the navel till a neighbour came to greet me and saw it. She asked y it isn't dry yet since we clean it, then she said she just lied to have been cleaning that the thing dey fear her. Can you imagine that someone with six children saying that.

Managing to cope with her won't be possible as I no get the energy to. I needed someone who will assist not add to my problem.

Sent her back the day after naming.

I already heard from other wives about her ways of coming and posing on the chair as "iya oko " but I gave her benefits of doubt( I hate back biting)

NB: this woman still look young and agile oooo. When her daughter sick,she stayed there for almost six months doing all the work.

I still dey vex sef! undecided. She dey call me now and will joke like say make I send money to her account. But no way,that time don pass,she don show me who she be and I don delete her account tey tey. No mumu for my dictionary, na do me I do you. Make she face her son for all her need.

She no try at all but me no fit carry my mouth send my MIL packing oooo. Nah im son work be that if it becomes a necessity that she must leave, it's all good. Me don dey used to " do it yourself ".
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by byvan03: 7:15pm On May 31, 2015
tchiwinnie:

Nne how ur side? You don chop beans again? shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) (520) (521) ... (6961) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.