Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,016 members, 7,956,771 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:32 PM

Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN (6956 Views)

Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List / Stocks / Shares Investors Which Way Forward? As The Nse Is Crashing Gradually. / Trading Shares On NSE Right From Your Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by mukina2: 1:08pm On Mar 09, 2012
MTN Faults Move For Compulsory Listing Of Firms

THE ongoing clamour to list major companies in the telecommunications, power, oil and gas sectors of the economy through legislation was yesterday, opposed by MTN Nigeria.

The company also emphasised need for greater depth of the Nigerian capital market.

MTN Nigeria’s corporate services executive, Akinwale Goodluck said: “What I’m strongly against is mandatory listing. I think the market in Nigeria should be for willing buyers and sellers. It should not be by compulsion.

“If you look at the history of MTN since we started business in 2001, increasingly, we have looked at ways to increase local participation.

“In 2008, a significant part of our shareholding was sold to Nigerian investors. Today, that stock of shares is ‘tradable’. Perhaps, not on an exchange but its ‘tradable’ over the counter. It is quite a robust market. I think listing is one of several ways to expand ownership. The shareholders will be looking at all the options”.

Asked to comment on when the company will likely to approach the market for listing, Goodluck, who was a guest on Channels Television business programme said: “I wish I can answer that question. It will be best determined by shareholders. This matter has been on the front burner for a while and I think its receiving the attention of the people that need to consider it”.

He explained that the company will always support anything that encourages greater local participation and capacity building.

Nigeria is MTN’s largest operation with 41 million subscribers – almost double that of its South African entity. It is also the single largest GSM company in Nigeria.

http://businessnews.com.ng/2012/03/09/mtn-faults-move-for-compulsory-listing-of-firms/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=mtn-faults-move-for-compulsory-listing-of-firms
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Godmann(m): 1:42pm On Mar 09, 2012
Ours is supposed to be free enterprise economy, but the thieves buying over our national assets with stolen funds also want to buy over personal investment of hardworking foreigners.

Nigeria here I come. Criminals in power
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by unclenna(m): 1:47pm On Mar 09, 2012
i don't like the way Mtn and other SA companies operate in nigeria. The siphon nigerians of their cash and transfer all to there country. Mtn don't have any solid structure in Nigeria. Most of there assets are on lease. In 2010 they made over 500 million naira profit with out nigerians enjoying from it. There whole profit was transfered to south africa to develop it. Is also the same with Multi Choice.
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by emron1(m): 1:58pm On Mar 09, 2012
no it should you don't just come to s country to make money and take to your country, you just don't give shares to a few selected individuals and claim to have local participation you must list inthe nigerian stock exchange so nigerians can be a part of the owners of mtn not just exploiting us openly and then employ a few nigerians and come out and claim to have impacted on nigerians.
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by mkmyers45(m): 2:02pm On Mar 09, 2012
unclenna:

i don't like the way Mtn and other SA companies operate in nigeria. The siphon nigerians of their cash and transfer all to there country. Mtn don't have any solid structure in Nigeria. Most of there assets are on lease. In 2010 they made over 500 million naira profit with out nigerians enjoying from it. There whole profit was transfered to south africa to develop it. Is also the same with Multi Choice.

Can you blame them? Do you know how much OBJ collected officially and unofficially to give them license? Bro, they are being good businessmen
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by neymar11: 2:09pm On Mar 09, 2012
The siphon nigerians of their cash and transfer all to there country. Mtn don't have any solid structure in Nigeria. Most of there assets are on lease. In 2010 they made over 500 million naira profit with out nigerians enjoying from it. [img]http://www.egala.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Seun(m): 2:14pm On Mar 09, 2012
neymar11:

The siphon nigerians of their cash and transfer all to there country. Mtn don't have any solid structure in Nigeria. Most of there assets are on lease. In 2010 they made over 500 million naira profit with out nigerians enjoying from it. [img]http://www.egala.info/g.php[/img]   
Dude. The people they rent their assets from are Nigerians. The vast majority of their employees are Nigerians. They pay tax to the Nigerian government. They provide telecoms services to Nigerians. Their contractors are Nigerian companies. And I bet they have quite a few Nigerian shareholders. So how can you say that Nigerians did not "enjoy from" their success? There's a lot to criticize about MTN, but making a just and legal profit is not one of those things.
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by GWslim(f): 2:16pm On Mar 09, 2012
What is our gain in MTN if they are listed on Nigerian Stock Exchange? They should keep shut.
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 09, 2012
mkmyers45:

Can you blame them? Do you know how much OBJ collected officially and unofficially to give them license? Bro, they are being good businessmen
For license sake they should exempt the company from listing with NSE, is that what you are saying? In developed countries a company of that capacity must list with the stock exchange. The government should make it compulsory for big companies to list their shares with the stock exchange. on the other hand MNT listed with the Johannesburg exchange. Why should the case be different in Nigeria?
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by tollu: 2:16pm On Mar 09, 2012
unclenna:

500 Million Naira? I laugh
dats just a drop in the bucket for MTN
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Nobody: 2:19pm On Mar 09, 2012
They and other companies need to list with the NSE  to keep appropriate records of Nigeria economy size.
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by eledalo: 2:23pm On Mar 09, 2012
Nice move. At least if MTN is listed I can have another topic to discuss in the beer parlor with my friends next friday. Nice one nigeria! More peppersoup here aunty!
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Godmann(m): 2:24pm On Mar 09, 2012
emron1:

no it should you don't just come to s country to make money and take to your country, you just don't give shares to a few selected individuals and claim to have local participation you must list inthe nigerian stock exchange so nigerians can be a part of the owners of mtn not just exploiting us openly and then employ a few nigerians and come out and claim to have impacted on nigerians.

Can you name a country in the world, you are emulating? Why do you guys allow yourself to be manipulated by a selfish leadership? Is it MTN that ran down our NITEL? Did MTN not meet the requirement we set at the point of entry into the Business? Why make selective laws? Have we forced SHELL, Chelvron, and co to list their shares in the stock market even when we know those ones are just exporting crude resources without adding value. MTN came with an added value.

Let ask ourselves what killed Econet? Is it not the involvement of Lagos, Delta and AkwaIbom state governments. Why can't these lazy Nigeria elites build and run a company? Why must they look out for business to steal from?

What are the conditions that make it impossible for business to thrive in our country? I mean local business? Have these criminals changed it? Even the shares that was listed in the stock exchange in the past, did they protect it?

Now that it is in their interest to grab MTN shares with stolen public funds, they are weeping up sentiments to win a faulty case.

Believe you me, I am not a fan of MTN, I have a compilation of the crimes they have committed against Nigerians, but they did that with connivance of these criminals who want to turn around and grab their shares?

Wake up Nigerians, we are being fooled as usual. MTN is not a saint, but there is no case here. Let our politicians compel them to reduce the price of the phone calls in accordance with international standard if the war is about the interest of the people. They will not because all they want is crude and lazy accumulation of wealth.

If they are able and ready, let them give a licence to themselves, and build a TELECOM company from scratch. Let them buy over NITEL and resuscitate it.

Do not be deceived people. It is all for the thieves to buy off another people's sweat as they have been doing to us.

What do we mean by free enterprise economy? What do we mean by capitalist or even mixed economy? Why interfere in people's private business. It is like asking the likes of Ekene Dilichukwu, and Igbo business omater trader to join other people into their business.

It is fraud and unjust.

When you make l;aw target at some individuals, you destroy your law.

The so called international investors are watching. No one want to invest and be compelled to hands off his investment in the future. MTN fulfilled the requirements at the point of entry. They satisfied the law we made when they entered. they paid us $285m. That was what we asked. We cannot change the rule at the middle of the game. That is cheating and very unfair.

This will certainly backfire
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by feelamong(m): 2:24pm On Mar 09, 2012
These MTN people should keep quiet, They are suppposed to do our bidding!!

They should either shape up to list on our stock exchange or prepare to go back to their country!!! angry

After all in their country they have a black empowerment scheme where foreign coys of a particular size are forced to provide some of their shares for the blacks to be held in trust by the Govt, Even OANDO and Gangote were all forced to do that,
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Bolddy(m): 2:30pm On Mar 09, 2012
Wetin bi una problems self.

kilode ?

You can go to SA and siphon them ,if you can.

Leave MTN alone .

Make Nitel work
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Nobody: 2:33pm On Mar 09, 2012
Godman_n:

Can you name a country in the world, you are emulating? Why do you guys allow yourself to be manipulated a a selfish leadership? Is it MTN that ran down our NITEL? Did MTN not meet the requirement we set at the point of entry into the Business? Why make selective laws? Have we forced SHELL, Chelvron, and co to list their shares in the stock market even when we know those ones are just exporting crude resources without adding value. MTN came with an added value.

Let ask ourselves what killed Econet? Is it not the involvement of Lagos, Delta and AkwaIbom state governments. Why can't these lazy Nigeria elites build and run a company? Why must they look out for business to steal from?

What are the conditions that make it impossible for business to thrive in our country? I mean local business? Have these criminals changed it? Even the shares that was listed in the stock exchange in the past, did they protect it?

Now that it is in their interest to grab MTN shares with stolen public funds, they are weeping up sentiments to win a faulty case.

Believe you me, I am not a fan of MTN, I have a compilation of the crimes they have committed against Nigerians, but they did that with connivance of these criminals who want to turn around and grab their shares?

Wake up Nigerians, we are being fooled as usual. MTN is not a saint, but there is no case here. Let our politicians compel them to reduce the price of the phone calls in accordance with international standard if the war is about the interest of the people. They will not because all they want is crude and lazy accumulation of wealth.

If they are able and ready, let them give a licence to themselves, and build a TELECOM company from scratch. Let them buy over NITEL and resuscitate it.

Do not be deceived people. It is all for the thieves to buy off another people's sweat as they have been doing to us.
You are trying to sensitize this matter. Not only MNT is been referred to list with the NSE as the case maybe. If I am correct according to the original post says all major companies. So, why are you treating MTN case differently?
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by mkmyers45(m): 2:40pm On Mar 09, 2012
all4naija:

For license sake they should exempt the company from listing with NSE, is that what you are saying? In developed countries a company of that capacity must list with the stock exchange. The government should make it compulsory for big companies to list their shares with the stock exchange. on the other hand MNT listed with the Johannesburg exchange. Why should the case be different in Nigeria?

Is there a law mandating them to list? THERE IS NOT,

Can you enforce what is not law? DEFINITELY NOT
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Godmann(m): 2:41pm On Mar 09, 2012
mukina2:

MTN Faults Move For Compulsory Listing Of Firms

http://businessnews.com.ng/2012/03/09/mtn-faults-move-for-compulsory-listing-of-firms/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=mtn-faults-move-for-compulsory-listing-of-firms

Tell us the companies? Did they include the oil multinational and if not why?

Their target is MTN because, if they try the likes of Shell and Chelvron, even GEJ will sleep never to wake up. It is because they think they can handle South Africa, or put in a different way MTN is just a group of businessmen without the backup of a strong international spynetwork.

Secondly, all I have said is just the truth. It is purely against the spirit of free enterprise. How will you feel if you build up a company from scratch and someone else is trying to take over your business from behind? Tell me how the stock stuff will affect the lives of poor Nigerians?

Tell me what killed Econet or NITEL as I said. I can swear that MTN will die when Nigerians take over. Have Globacom been able to compete with MTN despite the stolen billions at their disposal? MTN is built by hardworking business men. Even when they are foreigners, we should not discourage them. We can compel them to re-invest in some other areas of our economy, but trying to take over their business from behind is a big evil.

I have said it. I wait to see the repercussion. My headache is that even those of us that are innocent will suffer from this wicked decision as always.
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Nobody: 2:46pm On Mar 09, 2012
Godman_n:

Tell us the companies? Did they include the oil multinational and if not why?

Their target is MTN because, if they try the likes of Shell and Chelvron, even GEJ will sleep never to wake up. It is because they think they can handle South Africa, or put in a different way MTN is just a group of businessmen without the backup of a strong international spynetwork.

Secondly, all I have said is just the truth. It is purely against the spirit of free enterprise. How will you feel if you build up a company from scratch and someone else is trying to take over your business from behind? Tell me how the stock stuff will affect the lives of poor Nigerians?

Tell me what killed Econet or NITEL as I said. I can swear that MTN will die when Nigerians take over. Have Globacom been able to compete with MTN despite the stolen billions at their disposal? MTN is built by hardworking business men. Even when they are foreigners, we should not discourage them. We can compel them to re-invest in some other areas of our economy, but trying to take over their business from behind is a big evil.

I have said it. I wait to see the repercussion. My headache is that even those of us that are innocent will suffer from this wicked decision as always.
You should stop arguing blindly. Somebody even pointed out that Dangote and Oando companies were forced to do something similar to that in South Africa. Why should Nigeria be the only country to be coerced to abide by conditions set by other countries and the reverse is always the case back home? You guys should stop putting this country down in everything.
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by semid4lyfe(m): 2:51pm On Mar 09, 2012
Seun:

Dude. The people they rent their assets from are Nigerians. The vast majority of their employees are Nigerians. They pay tax to the Nigerian government. They provide telecoms services to Nigerians. Their contractors are Nigerian companies. And I bet they have quite a few Nigerian shareholders. So how can you say that Nigerians did not "enjoy from" their success? There's a lot to criticize about MTN, but making a just and legal profit is not one of those things.

Hmmm. . . .be like sey Oga don get PA cos he seems to be posting more and more on NL these days grin
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 09, 2012
As long as MTN would be seeking external capital, be it from private individuals, banks or public sources and as long as they would be issuing out equities for capital, the financial laws of most countries have it that a listing on the stock exchange is in order.

The interests of creditors, shareholders and potential shares buyers come first before any other mumbo jumbo and if they are not comfortable with making their records public by going to the exchange, they should finance themselves internally and seek investment and operating funds from their limited owners. Period.

Free flow of information remains one of the tenets of a free market economy and no attempt to stifle it would stand.
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by feelamong(m): 3:01pm On Mar 09, 2012
all4naija:

You should stop arguing blindly. Somebody even pointed out that Dangote and Oando companies were forced to do something similar to that in South Africa. Why should Nigeria be the only country to be coerced to abide by conditions set by other countries and the reverse is always the case back home? You guys should stop putting this country down in everything.

After the transition of Apartheid in 1994, it was decided by the government of the African National Congress that[b] direct intervention in the distribution of assets and opportunities was needed to resolve the economic disparities created by Apartheid policies which had favoured white business owners.[/b] BEE intended to transform the economy to be representative of the demographics, specifically race demographics of the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Economic_Empowerment

This is why I insist that they should be forced to list in Naija, if they said they will not,  then they should go back home!!!
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by yinchar(m): 3:02pm On Mar 09, 2012
unclenna:

Its actually not there fault, its because we are been led by group of useless politicians, in many country, even India for example, NO Nigerian is allowed to work here, its in their law, a foreigner can only work if there is no Indian to fill the post, they will not even allow, but go to Nigeria, then you see Indians working, living the life they did not even dreamt of and cant live in the country, I hope by the time we realize all this it wont be too late for us, i guess it even late already,
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Godmann(m): 3:15pm On Mar 09, 2012
all4naija:

But you failed to tell me why they will not compel Shell, Chelvrom, and co?
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by doctokwus: 3:17pm On Mar 09, 2012
Just wen u thought our NASS was tryin to turn a corner in its below average performance thus far,s/body comes up wt anoda stupid idea.How can u force a comp to enlist its shares;dis is nothin but an attempt by some criminals to eat into wat dey ddnt sow;mtn is not d ideal corporoate entity yet,but as long as dey are not breakin any laws,it has d rite to run its biz d way it deems fit
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 09, 2012
Godman_n:

The original post says all major companies,I repeat, all major companies. Are Chevron and Shell not major companies? So, let's wait and see how it plays out before asking me information I don't possess.
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Funkymallam(m): 3:33pm On Mar 09, 2012
Godman_n:

Dude, stop d arguement and read well again, u r making a joke of urself here.
The artile stated that they are trying to legistlate a law that will compel all major companies in oil, telecomunications and others to be listed in d NSE but MTN is challenging the idea not that they r d only ones compelled.

If it happens GLO, AIRTEL and ETISALAT will all be affected.

U type long epistles but fail to read b4 u argue.
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Godmann(m): 3:43pm On Mar 09, 2012
Funkymallam:

Dude, stop d arguement and read well again, u r making a joke of urself here.
The artile stated that they are trying to legistlate a law that will compel all major companies in oil, telecomunications and others to be listed in d NSE but MTN is challenging the idea not that they r d only ones compelled.

If it happens GLO, AIRTEL and ETISALAT will all be affected.

U type long epistles but fail to read b4 u argue.

Let see how it goes. Let see if and when they succeed who their target is.I don't need to read this post. I know what the games are, because I have heard this long ago and has been following up.

Will be glad to bet with anyone if they can get the oil multinationals. I repeat, if they try it, even GEJ will sleep never to wake up. let them stop them first from polluting our environment, gas flaring and oil spillages, let alone taking control for the business by forcing them to sell shares.

I just have to painfully laugh this off
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Nobody: 3:58pm On Mar 09, 2012
Godman_n:

Let see how it goes. Let see if and when they succeed who their target is.I don't need to read this post. I know what the games are, because I have heard this long ago and has been following up.

Will be glad to bet with anyone if they can get the oil multinationals. I repeat, if they try it, even GEJ will sleep never to wake up. let them stop them first from polluting our environment, gas flaring and oil spillages, let alone taking control for the business by forcing them to sell shares.

I just have to painfully laugh this off
If that's to be the case, you failed to expressed yourself at the beginning of your post properly. I quite understand what you are on about now insinuating on profiling, that the Nigerian government is trying to spite back at South African's for some reason. Indeed, leaving that part and sentiment out of the whole issue, I absolutely agree major companies should be listed. This is not the past where companies can come to do their business the usual way in the country without records.

Nigeria has the potential of becoming an economic giant so things must be properly taken into consideration in the market system. The size of the market is way larger than the actual forecast yet companies are not listed - nobody seems to care about that.

I don't give a damn about whose country the companies belong to, all I care about is accountability and well kept records of the economy. Major businesses need to do that by listing with NSE.
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by agitator: 4:01pm On Mar 09, 2012
yinchar:

Its actually not there fault, its because we are been led by group of useless politicians, in many country, even India for example, NO Nigerian is allowed to work here, its in their law, a foreigner can only work if there is no Indian to fill the post, they will not even allow, but go to Nigeria, then you see Indians working, living the life they did not even dreamt of and cant live in the country, I hope by the time we realize all this it wont be too late for us, i guess it even late already,

Painful but true. Bring expats who don't know the job. Nigerians do the job while the expats only supervise. The Nigerians are paid 5% of the expats salary.

All these foreign companies even bring their people all the way to Nigeria for Industrial Training (IT) and during their short stay they boss over the Nigerians.

They practice racism right here in Nigeria nobody talks but if its done outside Nigeria in their respective countries we complain.
Re: Listing Of Shares On The NSE Should Be Voluntary - MTN by Tokotaya: 4:23pm On Mar 09, 2012
The most unstable operator among all the pioneer operators is the only one with a rainbow coalition of Nigerian investors- Econet now Airtel. They were always fighting until the Nigerian investors including Ibori's Delta State, started selling out one by one. Today, that company has survived only by the grace of God. It has changed names five times, is always in court over shareholders' issues, and has been overtaken by a late starter, Glo. Etisalat who came in yesterday is getting closer to overtaking it again. I will predict here that if that company were to be forced to list on the NSE today, those who are fuelling this mandatory listing campaign will not touch is with a barge pole, because a lingering court case from the original shareholder, Econet is still hanging in the air. The faceless people are after the stable ones, particularly MTN, so they can take it over and conclude the business of putting the entire country inside their pocket. It's a pity some people who cannot even afford to buy the shares if they are on NSE today are unwittingly fighting the battles of the filthy moneybags for them. Shame!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Here Is Why You Should Start Mining Sidra Coin Now. / Buying BTC, Gift Cards / Avoid Investing With Stanbic IBTC At All Costs!!! (Must read, true story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.