Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! (75360 Views)

How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? / Is ATF Oil The Same As Power Steering Fluid? / Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by sooperrescue(m): 3:40pm On Nov 24, 2014
tyre size, 185/65/14 or 175/ 80/14. Oil. 10w 30. The other one, I nor sabi yet but I go know later once correct person answer am
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:07pm On Nov 24, 2014
birdman:

The only thing you proved with those pictures is that your driving pattern is consistent. Here is an example for jeeps:
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_oil_indicator.htm
Here is a similar one for your 2008 Audi - read the first 3-4 posts
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-general-q/8326-oil-change-service-interval.html

By monitoring powertrain, brakes, etc, the car has a good idea of your driving pattern.

The next time you do mostly all highway driving for a 1000 miles, do an oil check. Look at the color and viscosity. Do the same thing when you do a significant amount of in-city driving. You will find the oil dirtier when all you do is stop and go. Why? Starting and stopping your engine introduces the biggest wear on the engine. Once you are at speed and stay there, this is the state the engine was naturally built to operate in, and your oil works the way it should.
Im sure you can google car.com to get more details on the above.

I have done mostly highway for a couple of months >70mph, and my oil indicator life is just above 50%

dont make laugh

that pic is not from car but a software program used by garages here in UK

have ever really read a user manual book of a car

the pictures below are from a owners manual of honda cr v

see intervals of mileage do they mention about city aka traffic driving or motorway/highway?

Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by birdman(m): 1:14am On Nov 25, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

dont make laugh

that pic is not from car but a software program used by garages here in UK

have ever really read a user manual book of a car

the pictures below are from a owners manual of honda cr v

see intervals of mileage do they mention about city aka traffic driving or motorway/highway?

im laughing at you. of course its not from the car. its an OBDII report from the cars computer. the same computer that can also record powertrain, brake and a host of other info. dude do yourself a favor and learn something that might actually help you. ignorance and arguments, deadly combo ...lol
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:54pm On Nov 25, 2014
birdman:

im laughing at you. of course its not from the car. its an OBDII report from the cars computer. the same computer that can also record powertrain, brake and a host of other info. dude do yourself a favor and learn something that might actually help you. ignorance and arguments, deadly combo ...lol

its not an OBDII is a software manual for every car

do yourself favour do a research an AUTODATA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qae3wEzYeEY
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 25, 2014

1 Like

Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by erico2k2(m): 6:21pm On Nov 25, 2014
birdman:

Take is easy bro, what ZIM is saying is correct,what you see there are PDF forms you print out and you tick as appropriate,I have a copy myself to remind me of what I have done and when.However to validity sake a garage needs to sign /stamp it if they did the maintenance.This is how you prove service history you hear of stuff like full service history that's the little Doc that shows all that.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by birdman(m): 1:55am On Nov 26, 2014
erico2k2:

Take is easy bro, what ZIM is saying is correct,what you see there are PDF forms you print out and you tick as appropriate,I have a copy myself to remind me of what I have done and when.However to validity sake a garage needs to sign /stamp it if they did the maintenance.This is how you prove service history you hear of stuff like full service history that's the little Doc that shows all that.

aight im taking it easy. thanks for the clarification. i just looked at my oil change gauge. Still hovering at 50% after several months of highway driving
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by erico2k2(m): 6:04pm On Dec 01, 2014
birdman:

aight im taking it easy. thanks for the clarification. i just looked at my oil change gauge. Still hovering at 50% after several months of highway driving
Ok cool, well as a rule of thumb, buy the correct grade not make Grade as specified by your user manual. then go by mileage, I think that's the best way.
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by Unionised(m): 6:46pm On Dec 04, 2014
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by disloman(m): 8:15pm On Jun 20, 2015
sultaan:

Assuming filter is changed you should be able to go 3000 miles without any doubt, but as usual based on what I have seen here, and in NAija last time i was there, I know you are using the wrong oil.

XHP-1000 is a 20w50 per spec

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/LCW/Files/Mobil_Product_Guide_South_Pacific_May09.pdf

Your engine could be damaged by improper lubrication, you don't judge motor oils by how they look in the bottle but by when they are at operating temp should be a 5w30.

Use the right oils and it will look clean at 3000miles
grin
sultaan:

Assuming filter is changed you should be able to go 3000 miles without any doubt, but as usual based on what I have seen here, and in NAija last time i was there, I know you are using the wrong oil.

XHP-1000 is a 20w50 per spec

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/LCW/Files/Mobil_Product_Guide_South_Pacific_May09.pdf

Your engine could be damaged by improper lubrication, you don't judge motor oils by how they look in the bottle but by when they are at operating temp should be a 5w30.

Use the right oils and it will look clean at 3000miles
:d cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy :d
Re: When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! by udomma1005(m): 7:44am On Aug 29, 2021
desthan:
Nairaoil...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Nigerian Big Boys That Were Killed By Power Bike Accidents (Photos) / Unbelievable Tokunbo Cars Spotted In Lagos (Shocking Photos) / Guy In Lekki Lagos Designed This Car... (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.