Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,161 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport (4425 Views)

Arik Air Delays Passengers For 6Hours At Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja / My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA / Serious Fighting Going On Now At Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport,Abuja(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by LagBlogger(m): 10:16am On Mar 15, 2012
Let's hear your thoughts about Murtala Muhammed International Airport and Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, How was/ha been your experience using both airports? In terms of;

1. Management
2. Security
3. Flights/cancellation, delays, other logistics
4. Environment
5. Attitude of Airport staff and so on.

1 Like

Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by Nobody: 12:00pm On Mar 15, 2012
MM is far better, only that the bribe collecting of a thing is getting too much, it is now the trade mark of imigration officials, a guy missed his flight due to he could not give them bribe, the guy was watching his flight leaving, they refused him to pass
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by DonXavi(m): 12:40pm On Mar 15, 2012
The staffs at the MMA are bringing a great shame to Nigeria the way they ask for bribe openly, even from foreigners. For them it's like a crime for one to be a traveler. They look for every avenue to extort money from travelers. I see this as a very bad impression to visitors.
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by gentleasia(m): 1:00pm On Mar 15, 2012
ALL 1ST TIME TRAVELERS MUST PAY, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE AIRPORT AUTHORITY ARE NOT AWARE OF THAT? DAY-LIGHT ROBBERS
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by ifyalways(f): 1:09pm On Mar 15, 2012
Management= Lagos
Security= Abuja
Flight delays, logistics etc= Lagos
Bribe and intimidation= Lagos

Lagos sucks but I'd still use or pick it over Abuja.
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by agabaI23(m): 1:12pm On Mar 15, 2012
NAA is a lot better. Security-wise there is no comparison. May be because it is newer
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by shadrach77: 1:40pm On Mar 15, 2012
MMIA is Nigeria's flagship airport. Nigeria's premier, foremost and busiest airport so there is no basis for comparison embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by Nobody: 1:48pm On Mar 15, 2012
Let's not judge with our very low standards. Both of the airports are nothing compared to other international airports (especially that in Abuja).

I propose that we outsource the management to a reputable foreign or domestic coy, as a country like Nigeria deserves *Befitting* international Airports if we truly are the supposed Giant of Africa.

Truth be said, we have a very very low standard in this country.

Its disheartening that at this stage in this country we still battle problems like poor and inadequate infrastructure with billion committed yearly.

We are nothing, but an empty shell with delusion of grandeur*

Did I hear u say we need a Revolution?

1 Like

Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by henrychubayo: 1:52pm On Mar 15, 2012
In my own opinion, everything should be considered before picking MMA Lagos against NAA Abuja. If you say that lagos takes bribe especially for new travellers, then their services is poor. I have witnessed these bribe of a thing when i was in 9ja. I have not been to abuja, but certainly i beleive that lagos cannot be better when the ask of bribe, make u miss flight intentionaly, and the environment is far from a standard international airport when compared with O. R. Tambo airport Johannesburg and other airport. Imagin, i saw a begger begging in arrival corner of this airport in lagos. Believe me, abuja will be better cause its new, security wise, and positioned in a secured environment. I went direct inside the airport with my bag without anyone searching me in lagos. Imagin if am a terrorist. Parking in lagos airport 4 private and public is rubbish. We should learn new style like other airports
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by Nobody: 1:52pm On Mar 15, 2012
agabaI23: NAA is a lot better. Security-wise there is no comparison. May be because it is newer

Sorry but I would have to ask, have ever traveled outside the country?
agabaI23: NAA is a lot better. Security-wise there is no comparison. May be because it is newer

Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by Nobody: 1:59pm On Mar 15, 2012
MMA cool
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by henrychubayo: 2:04pm On Mar 15, 2012
idiagbon: Let's not judge with our very low standards. Both of the airports are nothing compared to other international airports (especially that in Abuja).

I propose that we outsource the management to a reputable foreign or domestic coy, as a country like Nigeria deserves *Befitting* international Airports if we truly are the supposed Giant of Africa.

Truth be said, we have a very very low standard in this country.

Its disheartening that at this stage in this country we still battle problems like poor and inadequate infrastructure with billion committed yearly.

We are nothing, but an empty shell with delusion of grandeur*

Did I hear u say we need a Revolution?
Bro you are very very correct. But i still have to remind you that the comparison is between the 2 airport involved in 9ja because the poster of this topic and all of us knew that we are far behind when compared with others. You can't even compare if you merge the two airport(MMA Lagos & NAA Abuja) with the O. R Tambo intl airport johannesburg south africa. Yet our rulers see this and yet do nothing. In the airport in south africa, the have connecting speed train to cape town if you wish not to fly and these also exits in china, japan, norway and many more.
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 15, 2012
henrychubayo:
Bro you are very very correct. But i still have to remind you that the comparison is between the 2 airport involved in 9ja because the poster of this topic and all of us knew that we are far behind when compared with others. You can't even compare if you merge the two airport(MMA Lagos & NAA Abuja) with the O. R Tambo intl airport johannesburg south africa. Yet our rulers see this and yet do nothing. In the airport in south africa, the have connecting speed train to cape town if you wish not to fly and these also exits in china, japan, norway and many more.

Oo kk bro, but the truth must be said. They both are lacking in some aspects.,and of course, are not up to standard.

Something must be done urgently.
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by Okijajuju1(m): 3:18pm On Mar 15, 2012
Omo the bribe na die. . . .

Especially Murtala Mohammed and Port-Harcourt International. . . Its just very sickening. .
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by chineloSA(f): 3:29pm On Mar 15, 2012
shocked@henrychubayo, you are a hopeless liar. Connecting train to CPT? Which train is that? The only bullet train there is in SA is in Gauteng ( the Gautrain ), which only operates in Gauteng currently.
There are trains to other cities but they are not bullet trains.
Go tell kindergarten kids that story.
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by eghost247(m): 5:31pm On Mar 15, 2012
they really give first time travelers hell at MM never used the Azikiwe airport
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by hamsky: 8:21pm On Mar 15, 2012
The first time I travelled alone I remember paying a bribe to a custom officer whilst going to Delhi from MMA thinking that it was some sort of customs fee or something but when i got to Delhi my mum told me it was a bribe because of the food stuffs i had in my bag and it left me thinking ehh? cos the lady i paid it to was so serious about it and she just asked me to shove it btw my passport and hand it over.
I think MMA is disgraceful, I've been to Bangladesh which is one of the world's poorest countries and its airport is way better than ours and also well maintained. I don't seem to understand why you need to pay for a rickety trolley in an airport (MMA).
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by agabaI23(m): 8:24pm On Mar 15, 2012
idiagbon:

Yes.
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by olaadegoke(m): 8:35pm On Mar 15, 2012
MMI arrival Hall is nothing to write home about..more like a junk yard embarassed cry

1 Like

Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by stagger: 9:54pm On Mar 15, 2012
NAIA is a complete eyesore. The local wing of this airport is just sickening. Glad it was shut so that it could be renovated. The international wing of this airport looks a whole lot better.

I landed at PH airport the other day. The whole terminal is being renovated so everyone has to use a single entrance. The chaos was unbelievable.

Then there is the bribe issue. Once at PH airport, the immigration lady bluntly told me and I quote verbatim:

Immigration lady: Oga, this is Christmas time and I do not want to search your bag at all at all!. Find me my Christmas gift.

Me: Ha madam, na wa o. You no wan search the bag? What if I carry gun inside?

Immigration: How fine young man wey dey for Abuja dey chop all the government money go dey carry gun? No be people like you. Just find me something now...

(as if all of us in Abuja have access to govt coffers)

Meanwhile, PH traffic on East West road/Rumuokoro axis made me very late and my flight was boarding. I did not want to entertain the idea of spending Christmas in a hotel away from my family. When I saw that this lady meant business, I had to part with some money because she was getting aggressive.

Me I no want make dem say I swallow drug when nothing dey there.
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by Nobody: 11:34pm On Mar 15, 2012
Travelling through MMIA is not a very nice experience but it is way cheaper than travelling through Zik airport for me.
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by Nobody: 3:31am On Mar 16, 2012
Lol@ both airports. Are they actually up to standard?
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by shilling(f): 5:23am On Mar 16, 2012
Tney both suck but I go with MMA.
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by Nobody: 6:36am On Mar 16, 2012
stagger: NAIA is a complete eyesore. The local wing of this airport is just sickening. Glad it was shut so that it could be renovated. The international wing of this airport looks a whole lot better.

I landed at PH airport the other day. The whole terminal is being renovated so everyone has to use a single entrance. The chaos was unbelievable.

Then there is the bribe issue. Once at PH airport, the immigration lady bluntly told me and I quote verbatim:

Immigration lady: Oga, this is Christmas time and I do not want to search your bag at all at all!. Find me my Christmas gift.

Me: Ha madam, na wa o. You no wan search the bag? What if I carry gun inside?

Immigration: How fine young man wey dey for Abuja dey chop all the government money go dey carry gun? No be people like you. Just find me something now...

(as if all of us in Abuja have access to govt coffers)

Meanwhile, PH traffic on East West road/Rumuokoro axis made me very late and my flight was boarding. I did not want to entertain the idea of spending Christmas in a hotel away from my family. When I saw that this lady meant business, I had to part with some money because she was getting aggressive.

Me I no want make dem say I swallow drug when nothing dey there.

I have to second your assessment, Abuja Airport local wing is unbelievable, disgusting and immeasurably shameful. The house that my great great great great- father built in 1805 is much presentable than this nonsense. Couldn't believe it. Had to hurriedly leave the premises, almost forgot my luggage. As far I were concerned, they can have my luggage but get me the hell out of here.
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by ROCKJ1(m): 6:50am On Mar 16, 2012
Abuja airport staff are more cool headed than lagos... The airport workers are very aggressive in Lagos, they ask for bribe as if it is their right.... Their abuja counterparts are calm and gentle.
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by eghost247(m): 7:12am On Mar 16, 2012
next time am passing through MM one kobo wont give anybody
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by mkmyers45(m): 5:17pm On Mar 17, 2012
Okija_juju: Omo the bribe na die. . . .

Especially Murtala Mohammed and Port-Harcourt International. . . Its just very sickening. .

Like how much are we talking about?
Re: MMIA Vs Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport by henrychubayo: 7:39pm On Mar 20, 2012
chineloSA: shocked@henrychubayo, you are a hopeless liar. Connecting train to CPT? Which train is that? The only bullet train there is in SA is in Gauteng ( the Gautrain ), which only operates in Gauteng currently.
There are trains to other cities but they are not bullet trains.
Go tell kindergarten kids that story.

Plz don't insult me because u are giving permission to comment here. Watch the comment of ppl here and see that we don't need you(ppl who insult others). If u don't know about the speed train, u should have ask me to enlighten you rather than calling me a hopeless liar. I take the insult very serious but i will take no action or return such to u. Being in south africa does not make u feel like u are better, because u need to go back to nigeria to learn respect from ur tribe ibo and come back so that u may succed

(1) (Reply)

Boeing 747 With Five Engines / Ebonyi International Airport : Where Promise Met Action (photos) / Accident In Port Harcourt This Morning..car Tumbles (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.