Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,310 members, 7,864,479 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:00 PM

What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? (6348 Views)

Ize-Iyamu Replies Oshiomhole:How Much Did Dangote Contribute To Your Campaign? / States Internally Generated Revenue: See How Much Your State Generates. / What Does The Ss/se Contribute To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by guonno: 4:26pm On Mar 17, 2012
Urhobos contributes no oil to nigeria. They is no oil in any urhobo land. The oil we talk about in delta state today is found in the itsekiris and ijaws.
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by Beaf: 4:32pm On Mar 17, 2012
^
Lol! It looks like bityend has been banned.
It isn't impotant to this thread, but anybody who hasn't heard of Ughelli, Sapele and Warri is not worth listening to. Take your silly campaign of falsehood to derail the thread right back into your dusty pimpled arse.

Anyway's, oil is not the point of this discussion. What do YOU and your village make? Did you go to school for fun?
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by Beaf: 4:46pm On Mar 17, 2012
A-ZeD:
Beaf puts up pictures of power stations owned by "lgs" in the uk but doesn't state that Lg's in Nigeria can't build power stations cos its against the law.
There are minerals in the north but they can't be mined cos only the FG is allowed to give mining license. So whenever people from the south south(me inclusive) claim people from the north are just feeding on their oil money, we should remember that a south south president has refused to develop the solid mineral sector of the north.

I hate it when people defend their laziness with lies.
Sinse GEJ's time, it has become lawful for states, LG's and even individuals to own power plants.

The rest crap about minerals is just another pack of silly lies to avoid doing a days job. Firstly, solid minirals are not governed by the laws that are applied to petroleum; the solid mineral sector has always been open for [b]individuals [/b]to apply for licenses and exploit. If a state is rich in solid minerals, yet they are not exploited, then it can be concluded that its governor is an awuf luv'n phuck whose greatest creative moments are about how fast he can get to Abuja for his monthly awuf. There is NO excuse.

A proactive governor (like Akpabio, Fashola, Lamido etc) would energise his people to invest and create wealth in his domain. A lazy awuf luv'n phuck would absolve themselves off all blame for the vomit in their backyard and point fingers at someone else. Such rubbish has to stop.
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by Beaf: 4:54pm On Mar 17, 2012
lari03: I don't agree with the idea of comparing economies that have existed before the amalgamation of 1914,with our dear nation.
True we must task our political representatives on accountability,which is why a lot of people criticize the FG.
But then enterprise goes on in every locale,so some responses on this thread obviously portray the lack of understanding of the subject matter.
Internal generated revenue is poor in Nigeria because corrupt officials abound in every state and lg. The methods of tax collection are primitive and inimical to the very aim of such activity. The Nigerian nation only this year just liberalised the power sector,this and many other factors have been responsible for slow development.

The year we were amalgamted doesn't have much to do with our underdevelopment, rather our lack of drive does. It is the reasons why we lack drive that this thread is attempting to isolate. It surely isn't corruption, because Italy is corrupt as Satans hell, yet they are developed and one of the Worlds top economies.
Malaysia and Singapore attained independence at about the same time as us. They were as undeveloped as we were, but today are both developed countries. Malaysia even notably got their palm kernel seedlings from us at the time we were the Worlds foremost paim oil and palm products producer; today, that position has been taken over by the very same Malaysia. There is NO excuse. cool
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by Beaf: 5:16pm On Mar 17, 2012
Iolo:

The thing is that most states can do only little in the present state. The FG holds too much powers and because the constitution has done nothing to define the roles of citizens as residents and indigenes, this leaves the average person not caring about what's happening @ the State and LG levels.

Realistically I dare say that LGs in the North are much closer to the people than in the South (even if its only for sharing money purposes)cause Northerners dnt move around as much as the Southerners do.

The OccupyNigeria protests were a huge reminder that besides the FG, there's really no other level of Govt that the people are ready to hold accountable. Nobody asked questions on what the states and LGs wud do wiv their monies even tho they were collectively getting a larger share than the FG.

I for example don't knw the name of the LG chairman of my place of residence. I've never known this cause its not relevant to me.

What I'm saying is that we reaLly need to define the roles of residents and owners of the lands in the community. Once everyone begins to feel a sense of ownership in the states where they reside, you'd have people place more pressure on the States and LG.

The sad truth is that the elite will continue using ethnicity and tribal shinaginans to divide the average populace. The fact that your IGBO living in the SW for sometime should give u a sense of ownership in the SW, but that isn't the case today.

Brilliantly put, my guy. You are the first person to really begin hammering at the core of the Nigerian issue.
However, even if we need a constitution and a national architecture that guarantee a well defined contract between citizen and state, the citizen still needs to understand what that contract is or it would be a waste of time. Todays citizens have shown that they largely do not understand their place in the nation or the tiers of govt; I do not see anything that will change that tomorrow, even if we had something like the Chinese revolution.

What I am driving at, is that the person on the street needs to start getting creative with the little they have and applying themselves, getting a real "education" and knowing their terrain; forming focused pressure groups, grabbing the tools and opportunities to make real things happen around them. It is no longer enough to spectate and pray. There are ready tools today like twitter, facebook and youtube that can be used for philosophically backed and targetted actions.
#Occupy failed because it was not backed by any philosophy, rather it sought to entrench the status quo by playing on peoples natural selfishness and a host of false rumours. Today, it is a lesson in how not to do things.
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by Nobody: 2:18am On Mar 18, 2012
Since this is on a state by state basis.

Adamawa state

1. The largest number of cattle in nigeria (above 2 million heads of cattle). If you eat beef, most probably its from adamawa state.

2. The only sugar refining plant in nigeria (which sources its raw material locally)(sugar cane). it contributes in terms of tax, 5000 employess e.t.c

3. One of the largest (if not the largest) farm in nigeria (sebore farms)

4. Largest producer of sorghum in nigeria
5. The only unesco world heritage site in nigeria (sukur), so tourism

And many more.
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by musiwa43: 2:25am On Mar 18, 2012
cycober, there are other sugar refining plant in nigeria. there is one in kwara state. and sugar cane is also in kwara state. ogun state use to have large sugar cane plantation when white people where in nigeria. abeokuta use to have sugar cane
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by member479760: 10:36am On Mar 18, 2012
Gypsy do not necessary need to produce something,
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by Nobody: 11:26am On Mar 19, 2012
musiwa,,.:
cycober, there are other sugar refining plant in nigeria. there is one in kwara state. and sugar cane is also in kwara state. ogun state use to have large sugar cane plantation when white people where in nigeria. abeokuta use to have sugar cane

I know there are other sugar refining plants in nigeria, but what i meant is they import the sugar, then refine it. There might be sugar cane in kwara state, but the point is, do they use it to make sugar? or do they import the sugar, then refine it (totally different things). All the articles, journals e.t.c suggests that savannah sugar company (adamawa state) is the only sugar factory that doesn't import sugar, they make it from scratch. Even though am confident on this, i stand to be enlightened further.
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by safarigirl(f): 2:55am On Apr 18, 2012
I still dey laugh people wey say SW is the largest producer ☺₣ palmwine in Nigeria, surprise ☺₣ the century, I wasn't even aware SW had high consumption ☺₣ the product, one would think it's where there is Ǟ high consumption that would be the highest producer
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by bittyend(m): 2:57am On Apr 18, 2012
safarigirl: I still dey laugh people wey say SW is the largest producer ☺₣ palmwine in Nigeria, surprise ☺₣ the century, I wasn't even aware SW had high consumption ☺₣ the product, one would think it's where there is Ǟ high consumption that would be the highest producer

Go to bed!!

No region produces more palm wine than SW...
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by AjanleKoko: 9:30am On Apr 18, 2012
How does palm wine contribute to GDP?
I've not seen any large-scale palm-wine processing plants, neither have I seen a bottled palm wine brand in Shoprite.
How many jobs does it create, what sort of financing does it attract?

We would do much better if we can integrate the area boy-motor park ecosystem. That at least is a proven ecosystem undecided
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by mbulela: 4:12pm On Apr 18, 2012
AjanleKoko: How does palm wine contribute to GDP?
I've not seen any large-scale palm-wine processing plants, neither have I seen a bottled palm wine brand in Shoprite.
How many jobs does it create, what sort of financing does it attract?

We would do much better if we can integrate the area boy-motor park ecosystem. That at least is a proven ecosystem undecided
You sure say you don look well?
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by oduasolja: 5:33pm On Apr 18, 2012
heres what we produce in yoruba land.

largest cocoa producer.

massive food crop production , second to the north region in food production.

largest cement producers. our region hosts the largest cement factories in africa.

large industrial estates in ogun, oyo and lagos state.

large number of human capital .

significant oil and gas production both onshore and offshore in ondo state.
Re: What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? by Beaf: 8:20pm On Apr 18, 2012
Ok. Now that many of us have identified areas where our localities generate some money, can anyone tell me why there is rampant poverty and failure?
What needs to be done to turn the subsistence pursuits mentioned into the type of wealth that would make observers bow down in aknowledgment?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Mate: RCCG Members Will You Vote Cos Osibanjo Is Your Pastor / Nnamdi Kanu Speaks On Hausa-Fulani Atrocities / BREAKING: See What Is Happening In Benue Now - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.