Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria (39285 Views)

Meet The Ofoni People Of Bayelsa, The Only Urhobo Tribe In Bayelsa / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 2:10pm On Nov 06, 2008
yoruba

for where

nigeria1 is the smartest ha
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by MCUsman(m): 12:44pm On Nov 07, 2008
They are the most educated illiterates

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 6:32pm On Nov 07, 2008
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hhha ewo oga oo biko haaaaaaaaaaaaaahah

na 2 much ikokori haha
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by AkedeOba(m): 11:21pm On Nov 07, 2008
How much of an educated Yoruba are you ?
Do you know that you can create your own personal blog at www.yorubaland.org/community
Blog in Yoruba or English and share your stories and experiences to others worldwide

www.yorubaland.org/community
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Nimshi: 12:13pm On Nov 09, 2008
Re: . . . Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria

First, stop using "tribe".
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by grandstar(m): 3:10pm On Nov 09, 2008
The question should not be who are the best educated Nigerians but the poor quality of education many are receiving and perhaps the high unemployment and underemployment.

Whether igbos are better educated or yorubas better educated does not really matter except for the purpose of ethnic pride which can lead sad consequences.

Because igbos are associated with money making , their educational advancement has been routinely ignored.

I am yoruba and I helped an ibo man pay for his ICAN when I was in my Year 1. My best friend was ibo.

I remember going for one of this ibo (YORUBAS TO HAVE THEIRS) tribal association meetings in 1991 and i was told to contribute and I dropped 20naira then. I felt I dropped nothing but I as treated like a king. I ate so much african salad till i almost popped. I still love african salad till today
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 4:36pm On Nov 09, 2008
2 the above u right

yoruba love to claim that but em lipsrsealed
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 5:14pm On Nov 09, 2008
Any chance Koijewa is Yoruba?  tongue grin
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by citizenY(m): 10:01am On Nov 10, 2008
There is a difference between Education and enlightenment and of course
many of these people are educated. Happy to belong to the same country
and appreciate their contribution, individually and collectively.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by NnaMan1: 11:25am On Nov 12, 2008
Please let the young minds tink of what should hold us together rather than towing the lines of our fathers that are die hard tribalists
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by okunoba(m): 4:39am On Nov 14, 2008
FSU, maybe the reason u have fewer
Yoruba people working in the east and alot of Ibo`s working in Lagos and Ibadan is because Yoruba people do not discriminate and are very welcoming. Like the British and American people. And the more obvious one, they have more better paying jobs. It follows u go where the job is, the reason some of us go to London or NYC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by okunoba(m): 4:43am On Nov 14, 2008
Nna man
well said, am all for it. "what brings us together"
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by lucabrasi(m): 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2008
this topic is wayy too hot for me, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 5:10pm On Nov 14, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FSU, maybe the reason u have fewer
Yoruba people working in the east and alot of  Ibo`s working in Lagos and Ibadan is because Yoruba people do not discriminate and are very welcoming. Like the British and American people. And the more obvious one, they have more better paying jobs. It follows u go where the job is, the reason some of us go to London or NYC.

eyaa!! ooo

more better paid job? u will be amased to know the number of igbo livin well in a nice duplex in lagos! i got uncle in emm what i think ra
ji rasaki estate and elsewhere in lagos! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed so what next

most eduacted and well paid job; well dnt know what they 419 hausa in FCT will make of this?

do u you there are lots of yoruba community in the east! eg in awka  in anambra state ! what next

to be honest yoruba tribe seemed to be so tribalist; no offence, nairaland show it wellu well
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Sauron1: 5:22pm On Nov 14, 2008
ikeyman00:

to be honest yoruba tribe seemed to be so tribalist; no offence, nairaland show it wellu well

Can u show the stats??
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by LadyT(f): 5:24pm On Nov 14, 2008
~Sauron~:

Can u show the stats??

*Almost chokes* But I second what he says.

This stupid topic and a lot of the stupid replies are like that stupid professor who came out and said whites are much more intelligent than blacks. This is the kind of infighting that will help prove him right!
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 5:43pm On Nov 14, 2008
Whats a 'Yorubas tribe'
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 5:47pm On Nov 14, 2008
hahah
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ijawgirl: 6:03pm On Feb 08, 2009
Yorubas are smart people
keep it up
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by kelvin2009: 10:46pm On Feb 08, 2009
the igbos and hausas will dissagree and vice versa so the topic will just create pointless argument,bt dnt abuse me i think the yorubas are more educated while the igbo's are more smarter and businness wise and hausas too are educated and some are not.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by asha80(m): 10:49pm On Feb 08, 2009
So this thread still dey alive
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 1:33pm On Mar 06, 2009
Hi All,
Not sure if we are in competition here. So pls no fighting.
I'll offend my Yoruba brethren here and say I don't think Yorubas are the most educated. At least not anymore.
The post-civil war Nigeria favoured Yorubas a lot, courtesy Baba Awo, who placed a lot of prominent Yorubas in business and government.
The Igbos who were disadvantaged due to the civil war, started to rise in the 80s. I give maximum props to my Igbo peeps, because they dominate in the sectors that are most crucial to the development of Nigeria - Technology.
Note also that some years back, Igbo chaps consistently set records for highest ever GPAs at the Imperial College, London.
Even northerners who were regarded as the least educated some years back, are now coming out and making great strides.
Let's not diss each other. We have a lot to do together.
BR,
Jide

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 7:28pm On Mar 06, 2009
~Sauron~:

Can u show the stats??

Coming from SAURON?? cheesy

Here you go, heres an example:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-241262.0.html
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by tamme: 4:38am On Oct 16, 2009
nop lipsrsealed
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by PimpinPapi: 12:50pm On Mar 01, 2011
Well it depends of what u meant by (educated tribe in Nigeria) Most people have credentials, diplomas, degrees etc but they are unable to defend their fields and the practical ability is not there, Do you still call them educated people Sorry you cant deceive me. I remember when i was in Nigeria, getting admission into the University in South Eastern Nigeria was so hard cuz it was by merit, which made few of my school mates left to Lagos and easily secured admission to study in the universities. Do you know why? Just because u can buy admission over there. I didn't say that there is no genuine educated Yoruba man. But believe me most of them did not write their exams but they still count them selves among educated people.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ifele(m): 10:33pm On Mar 01, 2011
The real Yorubas are the light-skinned ones who speak Yoruba language. The dark skinned ones are not Yoruba they are awowesidi. Pupa is the master race. The dudu are the inferiors. Pupa do not intermarry with the dudu because it is defiling your noble blood.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:48pm On Mar 01, 2011
ifele:

The real Yorubas are the light-skinned ones who speak Yoruba language. The dark skinned ones are not Yoruba they are awowesidi. Pupa is the master race. The dudu are the inferiors. Pupa do not intermarry with the dudu because it is defiling your noble blood.

undecided

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by AljUche: 11:21pm On Mar 01, 2011
ifele:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin mad man wink
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by enyinwa1: 5:36am On May 27, 2011
Now i can see why WAEC board is have a yearly TLC.
The poster question bi "I heard that the yorubas are the most educated tribe in Nigeria. Is that true?"
Which answer did he get ? OP(out of point) answers.
Imagine if some of you be president of naija and dey ask u simple question like this,na so una wo begin mis yan.
Thank God i do write letter to Nigeria Senate,make them try make law to make WAEC certificate dey expire after 5 years.I wo try lobby well well,if them grant am.Most of u when say him/her be university graduate,you go write resit for WAEC.If u yan as u dey yan 4 here,them withdraw your certificates.
Make everybody ready for revision.

Na Yoruba get the highest number of Professors for Naija(Ondo state to be precis HAHAHAAHA NAIRALANDER CHAI UNA NO GO KILL ME AT THE END OF THE DAY THE POSTER WONT EVEN GET AN ANS HAHAHAHAHAHH
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by africhika(f): 9:03pm On May 29, 2011
according to this study from the 2008 nigerian demographic and healthy survey, IGBOS are the most educated, including their females
(as posted on the bbc website)

_________

"Female literacy is seen as the key to raising living standards for the next generation. For example, a newborn child is far likelier to survive if its mother is well-educated. In Nigeria we see a stark contrast between the mainly Muslim north and the Christian and animist south. In some northern states less than 5% of women can read and write, whereas in some Igbo areas more than 90% are literate." BBC

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:10am On May 30, 2011
This has been proved over and over. No contest for now. Igbo all the way, except una Bleep up and they overtake you again.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 6:51am On May 30, 2011
@Topic,
I seriously doubt that Yorubas are more educated.
Most Igbo people are literate, even the unschooled ones. They can usually speak and write English well.
Yorubas just have an elite that does not really represent the majority.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Badirat Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo’s Wife Matriculates (Photos) / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / The Eight Most Powerful Women Inside The Aláàfin Of Ọyọ’s Palace That You Never

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.