Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! (39573 Views)

10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive / 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 3:45pm On Mar 15, 2008
~Silly/Funny,Nevertheless ave come to believe in some Superstitions !!!

~Growing up,i cudnt help but be very much aware of some if not all,it was instilled in us,to scare us more like  tongue

~Am sure i'll find that  am familiar with some of your posts here,N am actually amazed it's not only in my culture these supertitions R believed,almost every culture has superstitions they believe In Or Heard ,Wut R Yours N what do they mean

~Here R Some of the more Popular Superstitions,i grew up been Very aware of!!

~Opening an umbrella in the house >>u might not get married

~Sweepin at night >> means u're sweeping away good luck

~Turned over shoes/slipper >>> death on your parents

~Neddles/Blades R not sold at night at All >>connected to witchcraft

~Pregnant women walkin alone at night should hold on to a stone/pebble/penknife ,lol >>prevent evil spirits from harmin baby

~If u hit/trip your right foot on your way visiting someone >> good luck

~If u hit/trip your left foot on your way visiting someone >> person might not b there/badluck

~If your eye twitches >>your about to see someone u avent seen in a long while

~If your right palm itches >> your about to get some money that stays

~If your left palm itches >>your about to get money But will be spent as soon as u get it {the itchy palm one i actually believe in,it always happens for me  mayb mind over matter,  but everytime my hand itches am bound to get some money  }

~If your palm itches,rub it on your forehead in a circular motion for the money to come faster,lol

~Always say "Touch wood"/actually touch soomething made of wood if u ever say/think somethink negative that hasnt happened to u /anyone u know >>avoid ill luck

~Never Put Your bag on the floor >> You'll be broke   

~A really funny one i remember is
~ A Pregnant woman shudnt eat Too much Plantains >> if she has a son,he'll be as endowed as the shape of a Plantain    lipsrsealed

~There R Actually  loads More!! I'll save it for another post  wink

~Looking Forward To Read/Compare Your Superstitions grin

1 Like

Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by 4Him(m): 3:57pm On Mar 15, 2008
Here are the few i can still remember:

- Never whistle at night, it attracts snakes.
- Dont sleep with your legs crossed at the ankles, it attracts the devil
- Witches fly around 1-2am every morning, make sure not to be awake at that time.
- If you catch white egrets flying in the sky a tiny white lucky patch appears on your finger nail (actually happened a couple of times).

2 Likes

Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by iice(f): 9:21pm On Mar 15, 2008
Mohawkchic lmao grin grin I've heard alot of what you've heard.

1 Like

Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by robby1(m): 12:26am On Mar 16, 2008
Some more:
If you play with a knife, make sure to hit the handle on the floor (i never figured the reason for that)
Pregnant women shldnt eat snail else ur child will be an slowpoke. . . with saliva dripping from his her mouth.

mohawkchic:

~If your palm itches,rub it on your forehead in a circular motion for the money to come faster,lol

Emm. . . clockwise or anti clockwise? cheesy
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 1:13pm On Mar 16, 2008
~LOL  grin  r_o_b_b_y  any wise works,depending which hand i use to do the motion tongue

~Y you want to try it?? cheesy

~@ iice grin Did You/Do You believe any of them ?
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mukina2: 1:25pm On Mar 16, 2008
lol i have heard most of those grin

another one
if a child eats fish's head he/she will be stupid when they grow up grin

if you eat directly from the pot you will useless grin

1 Like

Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by robby1(m): 2:51pm On Mar 16, 2008
@ mohawkchick,
of course i want to try it, i just wanted to be sure. Who knows, the wrong-wise may chase the money away.

yes another one.
Dont give your children meat at a tender age or else they will be thieves  grin
a stupid excuse for depriving children of some much needed protein
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by iice(f): 3:33pm On Mar 16, 2008
@mohawkchic. . .nah, never was one for those things undecided
My aunt though used to tell don't put your bag on the floor, i still put them on the floor till today grin
I do the knock on wood though sometimes. . .for effect tongue
Even the broken mirror thing, i use a broken mirror grin grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mukina2: 3:42pm On Mar 16, 2008
another one - do not look into the mirror at night or you will be seen by witches grin grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 5:42pm On Mar 16, 2008
~Lol u guys  cheesy

~I Find all this superstitions quite Interesting!!

~r_o_b_b_y  First time ave heard of your ones  grin,lol,i hear you on chasing the money away,like i said depending on the palm that itches,you find yourself doing both wise{well i do} Ooh BTW you can also rub money on itchy palm {large notes} so the money coming will be something worth smiling about!! grin

if you eat directly from the pot you will useless grin[quote][/quote]

~Mukina2 first ave heard of this one too,lol ,i know of one

~If You're pregant you shudnt eat directly from a pot,or use a spoon to get the sticky bit of the rice that stays on the pot !!! >>if you do,your baby will be born without hair on their head,or their hair wont grow!! shocked grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 5:46pm On Mar 16, 2008
~iice i fiind myself doing "touch wood" too grin

~Put my bag on the floor tons of times too wink

~However ave got the few ones i live by like the itchy palm,twitchy eyes tongue like i said it's prolly mind over matter undecided
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mukina2: 5:54pm On Mar 16, 2008
lol grin

another one

If you happen to come in contact with cobwebs its bad luck grin

if an iguana touches you, you will be barren

if you kill a spider you will " wet the bed" grin grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 8:10pm On Mar 16, 2008
~Lol where did peeps come up w/ these beliefs!! Am amazed at how some peeps take these things so serious,{Me included BTW}you'd never catch them goin against these beliefs!!

~Ave heard about the kill a spider,pee in bed  N Cobweb's R  badluck  cheesy

~If you break say a glass/plate >> means something bad's about to happen

~If an elderly person/adult falls >> death/ terrible news

~If someone jumps over you,say while lying on the floor,they should immediately jump over you again >> avoid death

~If a dog/s howling,somtimes in union  >> death in the house/neighbour/area

~{i Actaully believe this!! tongue dogs can sense something,don't ask me what,i aint got a clue grin watched a programme that made my belief stronger too,this dog iin a home sensed when each occupant was about to die N would sit outside their rooms, wailing ~}
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 16, 2008
If someone jumps over you,say while lying on the floor,they should immediately jump over you again >> avoid death

The one I heard in primary school was If you jump over a boy's legs you will marry him in future, but if you cross over him the second time the curse will be broken.
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by iice(f): 3:18am On Mar 17, 2008
mohawkchic:

~If someone jumps over you,say while lying on the floor,they should immediately jump over you again >> avoid death

I heard it a bit differently. . .more like you will be a dwarf undecided
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by TheSly: 3:24am On Mar 17, 2008

I heard it a bit differently. . .more like you will be a dwarf undecided

Nahh! more like the person's first child will be a one legged being undecided
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by iice(f): 3:25am On Mar 17, 2008
Similar actions but all different interpretations undecided hence superstitions grin grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by TheSly: 3:35am On Mar 17, 2008
Right. . . . . . . . .Right . . . . .Right. . . . . .
Well just to let u know. . . . . . . .i have caged somze. . . . cool
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by iice(f): 3:44am On Mar 17, 2008
I doubt that grin grin We are not cage[i]able[/i] cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by TheSly: 3:54am On Mar 17, 2008
hen hennn. . . . . .Ok. . . .
U better go to CNN and declare him missing. . . tongue

I have told u the truth. . . . . .u can as well as Muki about this. . . wink
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by Nobody: 4:00am On Mar 17, 2008
i used to believe that if you had long hair, you were a winch. . .
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 7:07pm On Mar 17, 2008
~How about these Ones

~You shudnt clip your nails At night >>something to do w/ witchcraft
~You shudnt sing while your cooking >> Dunno Y undecided
~If a bird shits on your head >> its good luck  shocked
~One should take off shoes worn to graveside before entering their house >> so they don't bring death to the home
~You shudnt call the dead by their names without saying "late"
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by naijadiva2(f): 7:16pm On Mar 17, 2008
i was never superstitious but i've heard:
if you step on a crack on the ground, you'll crack you're mother's back.
walking under ladders means bad luck
opening an umbrella indoors means bad luck
if a black cat walks your path means bad luck
number 7 is good luck, number 13 is bad luck
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mukina2: 10:00pm On Mar 17, 2008
Sly tongue

@ topic

You must not leave your hair lying down after combing or the wind will carry it to Mammy water and you will die grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 1:46am On Mar 18, 2008
~Lol Munika2~

~R U Sierra Leonean?

~The "mammy water" is Krio,me think!! grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by iice(f): 3:16pm On Mar 18, 2008
mukina2:

Sly tongue

@ topic

You must not leave your hair lying down after combing or the wind will carry it to Mammy water and you will die grin

No wonder i get mammy water moves lol

Never write names with red ink - don't remember why, something to do with death

Mohawkchic, i heard the nails one too grin grin
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by bank2112(f): 6:14pm On Mar 18, 2008
heres one
dont whistle in the afternoon dont kw Y
whenever you have Boils on anypart of your body, put your Ear wax on it, and it goes.Believe me that happens.
mukina2:

lol
if an iguana touches you, you will be barren

mukina whats an iguana
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 6:37pm On Mar 18, 2008
~Lol the posts keep getting more N More interesting!! grin

~@ icce LMAO on mammy water moves cheesy

~@ Bank2112,ave heard of Do Not whistle at night >> calls demons grin

@ Boils,am only aware of applying Palmoil on it,N peeps say it works too tongue

~Another funny one i remember is if You're preggy,you shudnt cross Ur legs,Dunno Y undecided
~
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mukina2: 8:53pm On Mar 18, 2008
mohawkchic:

~Lol Munika2~

~R You Sierra Leonean?

~The "mammy water" is Krio,me think!! grin

hehehe yeah grin its krio and i am Sierra Leonean wink
can u speak krio? grin

iice:

No wonder i get mammy water moves lol

yes na those moves , na from ur hair u dey leave anyhow tongue grin

bank2112:

mukina whats an iguana

Iguanas are basically green, with brown or black markings and a crest of spines along the neck. They grow up to six feet in length, about half of which is the whip-like tail
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 9:39pm On Mar 18, 2008
~OMG shocked me sef na salon Titi grin

~Good to know there's someone else here from S/L~

~How's life in The Gambia? Been there like four times,love it!!

~Was in F/Town last year too,had a Blast @ Paddy's,Atlantic,Lagonda,Chez Nous,Tokey,Sussex grin!! Everything's changed but its all good cheesy!!!
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mukina2: 9:43pm On Mar 18, 2008
mohawkchic:

~OMG shocked me sef na salon Titi grin

~Good to know there's someone else here from S/L~

~How's life in The Gambia? Been there like four times,love it!!

~Was in F/Town last year too,had a Blast @ Paddy's,Atlantic,Lagonda,Chez Nous,Tokey,Sussex grin!! Everything's changed but its all good cheesy!!!

na lieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee shocked shocked shocked

Gambia is hotttt grin but its good

i was in salone in December . had so much fun almost didnt want to come back sad
might be going again this December grin
the place swittttt cheesy
Re: Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! by mohawkchic(f): 10:38pm On Mar 18, 2008
~"Na true yah" grin U sef surprise eh,d world big e small wink

~Hmm me nor get mind go F/town December!! e lek den pay me sef grin {i wudnt go to F/town even if they paid/offered me money/ticket FOC In December} dunno if am suppose to get so excited N write/type tongue in krio grin

~Jeez i wanna ask you so much already,but then i'll be spammin my own thread grin C you around the land N take care cool

~ l8rs gal grin CSI's on,my neck is all over the place,lol,will prolly log on later kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ojora Of Lagos, Oba Fatai Aremu Marries A New Wife (Photos, Video) / The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni / Masquerade Wearing Lord’s Chosen Church’s Overalls in Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.