Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,189 members, 7,822,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! (8058 Views)

See The Gift A Child Gave To President Buhari In Ghana Today(pics) / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey / Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by BigB11(m): 7:58pm On Oct 29, 2007
I guess, it is true that no matter how smart or successful you may be, the fact remains incompressible; "you can not have it all"
The implementation of Oprah's South African School has been nothing but a total misadventure and an image wrecker.
It has been confirmed by officials that the school has turned into a private child abuse chamber.

Everything goes (verbal abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse and many many more).
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by Seun(m): 8:00pm On Oct 29, 2007
Confirmed by who? You? A well-known fibber? Hehe, ok o.
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by BigB11(m): 8:03pm On Oct 29, 2007
Seun,

did you call me a fibber?
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by deen(m): 8:35pm On Oct 29, 2007
@poster

Please give us the link you get your info. is what suen is saying Reference Please we can just agree with just because you bla-bla -bla
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by BigB11(m): 8:41pm On Oct 29, 2007
Posted by deen:
is what seun is saying

Why don't you change your name to Fedex, the message deliverer?
Abeg, mind your own!
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by angel101(f): 8:44pm On Oct 29, 2007
whats the source of this gist. i have heard some reports but nothing as concrete as this.
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by BigB11(m): 8:46pm On Oct 29, 2007
Anything for you angel101.
Give me few seconds to search for the link.
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by BigB11(m): 8:49pm On Oct 29, 2007
Oprah apologizes for alleged abuse at school
‘I’ve disappointed you ,  I’m so sorry,’ Winfrey tells parents of children

LOS ANGELES - Oprah Winfrey begged for forgiveness with tears in her eyes as she spoke to parents of students at her all-girls school in South Africa on Sunday.

The talk show queen addressed the parents during the emergency meeting, which was called after allegations of abuse surfaced at the school, which opened in January.

“I’ve disappointed you. I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry,” Oprah told the families in Henley-on-Klip, south of Johannesburg, the South African news site News24.com reported.

Oprah had visited the school twice in the past few weeks, after allegations that one of the employees fondled a female student and that other students had been physically abused.

News24.com reported that Oprah, who has spoken publicly about suffering abuse as a child, gave the students her personal phone number, her e-mail address and her mailing address so they could contact her at any time.

Prior to the alleged handling incident, Oprah had placed the school’s principal, Dr. Mzimane, and at least one other employee on leave two weeks ago.

“I trusted her. When I appointed her, I thought she was passionate about the children of Africa,” an emotional Oprah said last week of Mzimane. “But I’ve been disappointed.”

According to local news reports, the father of one of the girls told Oprah the parents aren’t blaming her for the problems.

“It’s not your fault. We don’t blame you,” the father reportedly told her. “You trusted them. You have more passion for the school and its existence than anyone else in this country, including us parents.”

Oprah opened the doors to The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy in January to provide a high level of education to underprivileged girls.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21530564/
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by BigB11(m): 8:52pm On Oct 29, 2007
[b]Oprah's school 'too strict'[/b]Johannesburg - The rules at Oprah Winfrey's ultra-posh school at Henley-on-Klip near Johannesburg are apparently so strict they make a reformatory look like a holiday resort.

That's the word from upset parents, who say the school rules make it difficult for them to keep contact with their children.

They would have aired their concerns during a satellite link-up with the chat show queen a week ago, but that was cancelled at short notice by the school's management body.

Meanwhile the school seems to have made the rules even stricter. Until now, the girls could receive visitors every fortnight, but parents can now only visit them once a month.

Frances Mans, foster mother of Gweneth Mulder, said last week she would take her daughter out of the school if the rules were not changed.

'Surely this isn't a prison?'

Cellphones and e-mail correspondence are out of bounds during the week, and girls are only allowed to phone their parents at weekends.

The maximum number of visitors per pupil is four, and visits have to be approved by the school at least two weeks in advance.

Mans said she had to wait at the security gate for half an hour to be signed in when she went to visit her daughter last Sunday.

"It was a nightmare. We had only two hours to see my child. Surely this isn't a prison or an institution?"

The names of visitors must also match those on the security guard's list before guests are allowed in.

Parents are not allowed to smuggle junk food in to the girls past the matrons.

"Then the girls lose points," says Mans.

The girls get points for "good behaviour", which they can exchange at a school shop for clothes and caps.

No treats allowed

"The poor children are not even allowed to have any treats. Their diet is fruit, yoghurt and sandwiches. When they go on holiday for a month in April they'll be stuffing themselves with sweets and chocolates in any case."

Angela Conradie, whose daughter Michelle is at the school, says she's just as upset about the strict visiting times.

"Michelle phones me in tears sometimes, and then I don't know what to say to her," says Conradie.

John Samuels, the executive head of the school, confirmed that only one visit a month would be allowed in future.

This means that if a girl has five siblings, she will only be able to see all of them over a period of three months.

Samuels says he sees nothing wrong with the system.

"We have the security and well-being of the girls at heart, in every respect. They are our priority. If there's too much movement on the premises at the weekend, it disturbs the school spirit."

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,9294,2-7-1442_2081757,00.html
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by BigB11(m): 8:54pm On Oct 29, 2007
[b]Staff misconduct at Oprah's South African school[/b]Posted Oct 22nd 2007 2:34PM by Sandy Maple
Filed under: Teachers, Private school, Making a Difference, In the News

Despite Oprah Winfrey's obvious good intentions, things aren't going so well at her Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls. After weathering some bad PR back in March involving claims of prison-like rules, the South African girls' school is back in the news. This time, the allegations are much more serious.

According to the Rapport, an Afrikaans-language newspaper, a matron at the school allegedly grabbed a student by the throat and threw her against a wall. Another person, a "dorm parent", is said to have swore and screamed at the girls, assaulting them and sexually handling at least one of them.

In a statement, John Samuel, the Chief Executive of the academy, said that the Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit (FCS) of the South African Police Service has been told of the of the internal investigation. "The inquiry is being conducted in a manner that supports the safe and nurturing environment of the academy, with minimal disruption to campus life. In addition, the academy is providing psychological support and counseling services to our learners," he said.

Oprah herself has flown in to help manage the crisis, but has had very little to say publicly about the allegations. Oprah, who as a child was sexually abused herself, issued a statement in which she says, "Nothing is more serious or devastating to me than an allegation of misconduct by an adult against any girl at the academy."

This is serious stuff and I wonder if the school can - or should - survive this scandal. Could this possibly spell the end of Oprah's dream to provide the gift of education to these underprivileged girls?

http://www.parentdish.com/2007/10/22/staff-misconduct-at-oprahs-south-african-school/
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by BigB11(m): 8:55pm On Oct 29, 2007
angel101:

Do you want more?
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by angel101(f): 8:58pm On Oct 29, 2007
erm, this would do thanks grin
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by almondjoy(f): 10:27pm On Oct 29, 2007
One reason never to "do" anything in Africa.  I think she should shut down the schools and just leave those peeps alone to their doomed fate.

Any investment in Africa is a wasted effort.  I hope Oprah has learned her lesson.  If it was in Nigeria, I am sure the "female" students would not only have been physically assaulted but would all be grand parents by now from the shenanigans of "randy" male teachers and gate keepers.
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by Ndipe(m): 2:40am On Oct 30, 2007
Sad. The woman tried for South Africa
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by Nobody: 2:45am On Oct 30, 2007
This is no news. We are only reading it because it is Oprah's school. Are we sure the same thing is not happening in other schools?
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by Kobojunkie: 2:52am On Oct 30, 2007
hhmmmm,  @BigB1,  I am guessing you never attended Boarding School in your life or something ?? and I am guessing you have never really been to South Africa to see what these people would consider strict and what the school really has as rules @BigB1,  Care to discuss/debate this??

By the way, Just cause Oprah owns the school does not mean nothing bad can happen in it. I mean God created the world and look around you, why do you expect oprah's eyes to be better than God's??  grin cheesy grin cheesy

I went to boarding school most of my childhood cause it used to be COOL THING TO DO. I did not get to speak to my folks until visiting day and even then we had only a couple of hours. Well, during my time back then, a lot of stuff happened, among the students themselves and between teachers and students. I am sure Oprah's school does not have as much as my school had,yet.
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by naijaking1: 3:32am On Oct 30, 2007
Physical and sexual abuse?
Which kind boarding school be dat?

Sounds more like a correctional center, not boarding school.

Yeah, maybe it's big news because of Oprah-- another excellent idea that didn't come out right during implementation.
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by Pain(m): 8:20am On Oct 30, 2007
Nobody messes with Nigeria and goes scot free. Remember Jeff Koinange?
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by texazzpete(m): 8:40am On Oct 30, 2007
Ni9gerians are a malevolent bunch indeed. The title alone is skewed to malign Oprah.
Besides, what those parents are calling strict, is normal in many Nigerian Boardign schools. Why try to encourage class difference by sendign your child expensive chocolates and candy when many others have none? It's a great idea for the school to try to induce a leveller system where everyone enjoys the same stuff (at least in the school).

if only one of y'all could be so bold to post the amount of sexual abuse female students suffer at the hands of male corpers in Nigeria. . .
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 30, 2007
texazzpete:

if only one of y'all could be so bold to post the amount of sexual abuse female students suffer at the hands of male corpers in Nigeria. . .

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-80956.0.html

these things are almost the norm in Nigerian secondary schools. I remember back when I was in school my Principal had the pick of the prettiest girls, the stupid man managed to get one or two of them pregnant eventually. And when the story came out he wasnt even sacked, the pervert was merely redeployed to the Education ministry. Cos these things happen all the time! angry
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by Kobojunkie: 12:19pm On Oct 30, 2007
yep, I believe it still happens in Nigerian schools and schools all over africa and many parts of the world today.
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by dudubobo1: 12:34pm On Oct 30, 2007
Yes. These things always happen in Nigeria; just like this one on this link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,,-7013369,00.html
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by dudubobo1: 12:35pm On Oct 30, 2007
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by DisGuy: 12:35pm On Oct 30, 2007
hmm reminds me of some private universities in Nigeria, funny thing is its no big deal undecided
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by almondjoy(f): 12:35pm On Oct 30, 2007
texazzpete:

Ni9gerians are a malevolent bunch indeed. The title alone is skewed to malign Oprah.
Besides, what those parents are calling strict, is normal in many Nigerian Boardign schools. Why try to encourage class difference by sendign your child expensive chocolates and candy when many others have none? It's a great idea for the school to try to induce a leveller system where everyone enjoys the same stuff (at least in the school).

ziddy:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-80956.0.html

these things are almost the norm in Nigerian secondary schools. I[b] remember back when I was in school my Principal had the pick of the prettiest girls, the stupid man managed to get one or two of them pregnant eventually.[/b] And when the story came out he wasnt even sacked, the pervert was merely redeployed to the Education ministry. Cos these things happen all the time! angry

Kobojunkie:

yes, I believe it still happens in Nigerian schools and schools all over africa and many parts of the world today.

Nothing to add then.  I rest my case.  People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Can't count how many times I had to fend of "randy" goat-bearded jehovah withnessing instructors in Nigeria.  Gosh!
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by dudubobo1: 12:35pm On Oct 30, 2007
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by almondjoy(f): 12:38pm On Oct 30, 2007
dudu-bobo:

even this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/1048630.stm

he he he he he he he heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!!!! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

This one na former "monk"---targeting little boys!  Oh lordy! lordy!

Na wah for we "men" oh!   Na curse? grin
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by Seun(m): 12:39pm On Oct 30, 2007
Good parents don't outsource their parenting, while bad parents who do probably deserve what they get. angry
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by dudubobo1: 12:44pm On Oct 30, 2007
http://www.home-education.org.uk/articles-teacher-abuse.htm

This link will show that child abuse or evil is not limited to one particular race or country. So, Nigeria bashing people here should bring their own 'evidence' that Nigeria is worse than any other country in this respect
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by DisGuy: 12:45pm On Oct 30, 2007
dudu bobo post a link for a nigerian teacher that has been sacked or arrested for abuse or extortion wink

@almondjoy
Can't count how many times I had to fend of "randy" goat-bearded jehovah withnessing instructors in Nigeria. Gosh!

gay instructors or you're female?
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by almondjoy(f): 12:47pm On Oct 30, 2007
Pain:

Nobody messes with Nigeria and goes scot free. Remember Jeff Koinange?

Bullshit!

How is this related to what is being discussed--the proliferetion of "perverts" in schools all over the world as long as there are[b] "MEN"[/b] as tutors? Not to say we"men" do not indulge--but randy he-goats of[b] men [/b] have monopoly over that trade.  

Dem no the take eye see the thing or take nose smell the thing at all at all!  Child abuse cases are just as bad in Nigeria if not worse than anywhere else in the world!   So this story should not even come out here since Nigeria is no better.  Male corpers as mentioned above are the very worst!
Re: Oprah's South African School, A Child Abuse Prison! by almondjoy(f): 12:49pm On Oct 30, 2007
Dis Guy:

dudu bobo post a link for a nigerian teacher that has been sacked or arrested for abuse or extortion wink

@almondjoy
gay instructors or you're female?

Hmmmmm!-- Actually, bisexual ones!!!!! cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

2019: 8 Million People Have Not Collected Their Pvcs, INEC Cries Out / Twelve Most Peaceful And Friendly States In Nigeria According To Political Zones / If It Comes Down To These Two, Who Would You Prefer As Nigeria's Next President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.