Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,260 members, 7,836,190 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos (3480 Views)

Official MTN Call Until You're Tired. Happy December From Mtn / CNSSL Statement On Disruption Of Activities At MTN Jos Call Centre / MTN Call Center Jos Closed Down By NLC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by mukina2: 3:43pm On Mar 19, 2012
The NLC announced the reopening of the MTN Call Centre, which was picket on Wednesday, for alleged poor conditions of service.

The Plateau State NLC chairman, Comrade Jibrin Bancir, who addressed newsmen after a meeting with officials of the MTN dealer, CNSSL, the company managing the centre, in Jos, said the union had reached an agreement to redress the complaints.

Details of the agreement, as read by the chairman, indicated that staff of the company would be allowed to belong to the relevant unions.
He said the staff would enjoy a 22.5 per cent salary increase across board.

According to Bancir, negotiations would continue, to ensure that staff of the Jos centre enjoyed similar emoluments, like their colleagues in other parts of the country.

He said that no staff would be victimsed as a result of the action, noting that CNSSL officials signed the agreement and were obliged to abide by it.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) learnt that the staff had been agitating for salary increment for several years, but without favourable response from the company.
They also alleged that they were denied the opportunity to form unions to demand for their rights.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/40286-nlc-reopens-mtn-centre.html
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by Geomac: 3:58pm On Mar 19, 2012
22.5% is still poor
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by ojietu: 4:17pm On Mar 19, 2012
22.5% of #35,000 that will make it a total of about #42,875, that is still unacceptable, the office shutt down should continue, GBAMM.
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by crusufixo(m): 4:56pm On Mar 19, 2012
God help us in this country. Imagine going to school for 4+x years, only for one to end up with pea nut as salary. Once again i say, God help us in this country !!!!!!!!
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by sharpman1(m): 5:07pm On Mar 19, 2012
ojietu: 22.5% of #35,000 that will make it a total of about #42,875, that is still unacceptable, the office shutt down should continue, GBAMM.

You should consider opening your own company and paying your staff as much as they want.
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by Krazylover: 5:30pm On Mar 19, 2012
Great thread [img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by doctokwus: 5:41pm On Mar 19, 2012
sharp man:

You should consider opening your own company and paying your staff as much as they want.
That is one of d most unfortunate comments I ever heard
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by sharpman1(m): 6:20pm On Mar 19, 2012
doctokwus:
That is one of d most unfortunate comments I ever heard

Well..........it might be unfortunate to you...........but it's the simple truth.

NO organization will pay more than the value it believes you add to bottom-line. After all, the business is not a charity organization.

If YOU, as a prospective employee, is not satisfied with what you are being offered, the sensible thing to do is to REJECT the offer, rather than accepting it and grumbling afterwards.

1 Like

Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by Abbaj: 6:33pm On Mar 19, 2012
sharpman pple like you are reasons dis country is poo, im ashamed of ur comment
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by sharpman1(m): 6:38pm On Mar 19, 2012
Abba j: sharpman pple like you are reasons dis country is poo, im ashamed of ur comment

You are joking right?? why are you ashamed??

You want to be paid a fat salary..........while the owner of the business, that took all the risk.....and will take ALL the losses if the business is not profitable.....worry about paying you.

If you really want to practice what you preach........just start your own organization..........and pay salaries you cannot afford.

NOBODY owes you anything. You render a service and you get paid. If you don't like the pay, then don't render your service.
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by titus3: 6:50pm On Mar 19, 2012
First off, I agree that the money is too small.

That said, however the NLC Chairman didn't say that negotiations had ended. He said it was still ongoing.

So the amount paid will probably ensure that staff can get back to work with the hope that they will receive something better as negotiations continue.

Let us be realistic here:

NEGATIVE
1- Salary is still not as big as hoped small, but is still being negotiated
2 - People sat and relaxed at home for a few days... grin (this is negative If you are CNSSL)

POSITIVE
1 - The objective of the protest, increase in salary has been partially achieved.
2 - Negotiations are ongoing to lead to more increases
3 - Noone is going to be victimised or lose his/her job

To me, this represents serious progress, and instead of thanking God that something positive is being done, some people here are pretending to know more than NLC that negotiated the amount...HABA!

Honestly, would you rather they sit at home and stay unemployed?
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by teskyg: 6:56pm On Mar 19, 2012
@ Sharp man,your comment is not related to the situation at hand.maybe you run a company with that mindset and you can share the experience of what such practice has added to the bottom line of your business.
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by sharpman1(m): 7:08pm On Mar 19, 2012
teskyg: @ Sharp man,your comment is not related to the situation at hand.maybe you run a company with that mindset and you can share the experience of what such practice has added to the bottom line of your business.

You don't seem to understand me.

I am an employee but i do not believe my employer owes me. I take it that i render a service and the amount to be paid was mutually agreed. I believe i am underpaid but i don't blame it on my employer.....i blame myself. so if i want a better pay, i either renegotiate or withdraw my service and take it elsewhere.

The idea that because you spent five years in the University so u must be paid a certain amount is just wrong. You are paid based on the value you add to the organization. Better still, you are paid based on the value YOUR EMPLOYER thinks you add to the organization.

So if i want more, i simply develop myself to increase my capacity to earn more. I also ensure that i add real and verifiable value to the organization i work for.

Note that i am not saying the pay is okay.....i for one CANNOT take that. i was merely responding to the quote in my first comment.

1 Like

Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by dadicvila(m): 8:01pm On Mar 19, 2012
NLC doing what they know how to do best which is SELLING OUT....the company must have probably paid 25% tithe to them
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by rman: 9:14pm On Mar 19, 2012
sharp man:

You don't seem to understand me.

I am an employee but i do not believe my employer owes me. I take it that i render a service and the amount to be paid was mutually agreed. I believe i am underpaid but i don't blame it on my employer.....i blame myself. so if i want a better pay, i either renegotiate or withdraw my service and take it elsewhere.

The idea that because you spent five years in the University so u must be paid a certain amount is just wrong. You are paid based on the value you add to the organization. Better still, you are paid based on the value YOUR EMPLOYER thinks you add to the organization.

So if i want more, i simply develop myself to increase my capacity to earn more. I also ensure that i add real and verifiable value to the organization i work for.

Note that i am not saying the pay is okay.....i for one CANNOT take that. i was merely responding to the quote in my first comment.

Most of our so called graduates don't reason this way. Most of these jobs don't require graduates but the unemployment situation in the country has made graduates take them up.
Will the employers pay them for value added or just cos they are graduates? I believe people should be paid based on value added to a company. I have seen graduates working as drivers in a multinational company. Are u going to pay such as drivers or graduates? I think they should be paid as drivers.
can employees actually determine what they feel they should be paid? The ans is NO. If you think you deserve better, leave.

Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by dmainboss: 10:04pm On Mar 19, 2012
sharp man:

You are joking right?? why are you ashamed??

You want to be paid a fat salary..........while the owner of the business, that took all the risk.....and will take ALL the losses if the business is not profitable.....worry about paying you.

If you really want to practice what you preach........just start your own organization..........and pay salaries you cannot afford.

NOBODY owes you anything. You render a service and you get paid. If you don't like the pay, then don't render your service.

You are sooooo wrong and seriously, you sound like a self righteous deluded perfectionist. You imagine you live in a eutopia I guess. Please wake up to reality. You cannot pay people salaries that cannot meet their basic needs and expect them to render good service. These people are given targets to meet. If they don't meet it, they get fired. Tell me how they can meet it if their take home pay cannot take them home? And for you to talk about MTN paying more than they can afford? You kidding right? MTN broke even in ome year. Have you ever seen a business plan that makes a one year break even projection?
It is soo disheartening to hear self rrighteous, cocky, know it all f00ls like you going on a senseless deluded rant! You need a very hot slap to wake you up!
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by rman: 10:10pm On Mar 19, 2012
dmainboss:

You are sooooo wrong and seriously, you sound like a self righteous deluded perfectionist. You imagine you live in a eutopia I guess. Please wake up to reality. You cannot pay people salaries that cannot meet their basic needs and expect them to render good service. These people are given targets to meet. If they don't meet it, they get fired. Tell me how they can meet it if their take home pay cannot take them home? And for you to talk about MTN paying more than they can afford? You kidding right? MTN broke even in ome year. Have you ever seen a business plan that makes a one year break even projection?
It is soo disheartening to hear self rrighteous, cocky, know it all f00ls like you going on a senseless deluded rant! You need a very hot slap to wake you up!

The guy is absolutely right. What services do they render. It is not about mtn breaking even, it is about paying what is fair based on value added. If graduates take up jobs meabt for secondary school or ond graduates due to the unemployment situation, don't blame mtn, blame those in power.
Graduates work as drivers in some of these company's, do u pay them as drivers or university graduates? If u feel u deserve better, leave.

1 Like

Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by sharpman1(m): 9:13am On Mar 20, 2012
dmainboss:

You are actually the one that needs a hot slap to wake up.

I have worked for N10,000 before and this was after i spent five years in the university studying a five year course. The pay was really bad but i took it because of the experience i would get. I did not go about grumbling and cursing my employer. The experience i had happen to be the foundation for my current career path and i am pleased with the progress i have made.

The point is.........when you take a job, it means you have accepted the offer that has been made to you. If you don't like the offer, then don't take it. Why should you take it then accuse your employer of slave labor?? Did he/she tie a chain around you?

By the way, i can work for free. There are some organizations that i want their experience badly. If they are willing to take me, i can invest 6 months of my time working for them.

1 Like

Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by titus3: 9:55am On Mar 20, 2012
I agree with sharpman...

I know it is hard for some people to agree, but the sad reality is that graduating from a university does not automatically dictate how much you should earn...

There is so much cheap labour that it is not possible to dictate wages again. Again, that type of thinking has been smashed by young drop-outs who now earn so much more by adding value as musicians, businessmen, actors, e.t.c.

It is the same thing that happens abroad too, so anyone who feels the salary is not enough to take you home, should either quit(and lost the experience you will gain that will help you in future jobs) or cut your coat according to your size, stick it for awhile and embrace learning.
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by duduboy1(m): 10:32am On Mar 20, 2012
Fools, una just come here de open una dirty mouths de talk s**t..na people like una go sell dis country because una get wetin una want. So dey should use da fact of unemployment to their advantage abi? Fools
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by sharpman1(m): 10:52am On Mar 20, 2012
dudu boy: Fools, una just come here de open una dirty mouths de talk s**t..na people like una go sell dis country because una get wetin una want. So dey should use da fact of unemployment to their advantage abi? Fools

Unfortunately............you are the fool here.
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by duduboy1(m): 10:56am On Mar 20, 2012
Sharp man abi na boy, after going thru da posts, na u be da biggest and only fool here tongue tongue cheesy
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by sharpman1(m): 11:01am On Mar 20, 2012
dudu boy: Sharp man abi na boy, after going thru da posts, na u be da biggest and only fool here tongue tongue cheesy

So sad cry.......continue to wallow in your stupidity.
Re: NLC Reopens MTN Call Centre In Jos by shoboy9: 11:12am On Mar 20, 2012
What a shame. Employers flaunt the regulations as they please. Salaries that would help uplift the lower classes and improve are local economy are being funneled abroad by greedy cut throat employers, unfortunately including the FG itself. If NLC was serious about helping the nation, they'd have shut down MTN itself by now to prevent this occurring in other companies.

Mordern slave trade. It shows how much we've learnt in the last 100years!

(1) (Reply)

How Is Your Experience So Far With The Redmi 9t? / Get 100mb Browsing Data On Airtel For N200 Only. Brand New ! / #update Download New Psiphonhandler (lolipop Ui)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.