Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World (15792 Views)

Nigeria’s Highest Paid CEOs / Highest Paid Jobs In Nigeria Apart From The Oil Industry. / FG To Check Hiring Of Expatriates In Place Of Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 21, 2012
Who ever gave power to ABOKIs REALLY KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOING. Expatriate my a.ss, even a painter and a scaffolder are all expatriates earning mega while Nigeria engineers earn peanuts. There is no politics in Government come to Nigerian Oil companies and see politics and slave-trade
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by mykejones(m): 10:07am On Mar 21, 2012
Lets use logic again.
We all know the entire world's perspective of Nigeria. Not good. With the security tension and kidnapping crises all around us,Nigeria don't exactly pose as a 'condusive environment' for work. And the only way to convince dis Oil expertraites is to give them jumble salaries.
It's just like you been posted to Maiduguri for your Nysc,and instead of payin u the normal 19,800 they decide to pay you 50k. You see d logic?
Another point,am nt exactly sure if this jumbo salaries they get are tax-payers money. The chevron and the likes,are they owned by the Country?
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by agitator: 10:25am On Mar 21, 2012
mykejones: Lets use logic again.
We all know the entire world's perspective of Nigeria. Not good. With the security tension and kidnapping crises all around us,Nigeria don't exactly pose as a 'condusive environment' for work. And the only way to convince dis Oil expertraites is to give them jumble salaries.
It's just like you been posted to Maiduguri for your Nysc,and instead of payin u the normal 19,800 they decide to pay you 50k. You see d logic?
Another point,am nt exactly sure if this jumbo salaries they get are tax-payers money. The chevron and the likes,are they owned by the Country?

Have you confirmed that Nigerians cant do the jobs these guys come to Nigeria to do? Secondly it is not tax payers money but NNPC owns part of the company and the jumbo salaries add up to the operational cost of the companies. These people wont pay you more than their citizens if you are among the few people that know about a technology and work in their country.

It is called capital flight. Somebody is brought to control material, is it an expatriate job that Nigerians are not qualified to do?
or is it quality control, while the Nigerians go to the field to do the real job, another nigerian is employed to collate and prepare the report and the expat just endorses the report.

I know of an OND holder who is an engineering manager, bossing over Nigerian Master Degree holders, hiring and firing them at will. The Nigerian Master Degree holder earns less than 10% of the Managers salary (not including bonus for delivering on time).

If you know what is going on in the oil & gas sector as per expatriates you will weep for Nigeria.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by nwanioma(f): 10:30am On Mar 21, 2012
Kay-Dee:

abeg, what is sad about it ?

It/He is sad that she is ex and not present girlfriend! grin
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by nwanioma(f): 10:34am On Mar 21, 2012
ndcide: its really amazing some graduate earn 10- 15k per month and some others earn 1 million per moembarassed.nth in Nigeria SMH embarassed cry[size=12pt][/size]

Abeg which graduate earns 1M/Month!!
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by sleekender(m): 10:38am On Mar 21, 2012
I have worked in the NIgerian Oil industry and I could eeasily agree to this, because the security cooefficient for working in Nigeria is about 65-90% of your basic salary and allowances. Hence, you could get up to 190% of your income if you were working in the US, UK or other western region. But this is only applicable to expats. Expats in the oil industry are highly paid in NIgeria. In the Middle East, the pay is also as high. Not sure wat the difference is though.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by blacksta(m): 10:55am On Mar 21, 2012
The truth is Nigerians generally a lack good work ethics for example sleeping on duty. Most Companies would prefer to pay an outsider more because they are assured that the work will done. I know a number of expat engineers working for starcomms - To house each engineer in a lekki accomodation, is costing starcomms 3.5k dollars every month. We all agree that private organisations are all looking to maximise profit and why would any right thinking organisation pay huge fees if they can get local labour at a far cheaper rate.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by mykejones(m): 11:06am On Mar 21, 2012
agitator:

Have you confirmed that Nigerians cant do the jobs these guys come to Nigeria to do? Secondly it is not tax payers money but NNPC owns part of the company and the jumbo salaries add up to the operational cost of the companies. These people wont pay you more than their citizens if you are among the few people that know about a technology and work in their country.

It is called capital flight. Somebody is brought to control material, is it an expatriate job that Nigerians are not qualified to do?
or is it quality control, while the Nigerians go to the field to do the real job, another nigerian is employed to collate and prepare the report and the expat just endorses the report.

I know of an OND holder who is an engineering manager, bossing over Nigerian Master Degree holders, hiring and firing them at will. The Nigerian Master Degree holder earns less than 10% of the Managers salary (not including bonus for delivering on time).

If you know what is going on in the oil & gas sector as per expatriates you will weep for Nigeria.
If u noticed,in my post,the main issue i pointed out is the 'job environment'. Am nt disputing the fact that Nigerians are far qualified to take up those post..No. Am nt dat stupid. Wat am sayin is,if u hv 2get foreign hands to do the job,then pay incentives does d magic dis days. With foreign hands,u'l even worry less about the blatant corruption goin on in d oil sector presently.(off issue)
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by omo1010: 2:54pm On Mar 21, 2012
apart from insecurty promblem in naija,difference in technological know-how is another. to bridge this gap Nigerian govt must review and strictly enforce the local content policy by so doing Nigerians will stand greater chance of tapping from these advanced know...in fact we must find a way of changing the perception of average Nigerian by foreigners because even if the know-how is there, what about:discipline, sincerity and reliabilty which Nigerians are not known for across the globe and its still on the increase..
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by RuuDie(m): 3:16pm On Mar 21, 2012
I understand why some folks are bitter. . .
if you see the pay of some of the 'average' expats compared with the average local, it'll take a strong heart not to run wild I tell you. Made worse, like some have pointed out, by the fact that some of 'em seem not to be doing an awful lot to merit that size of pay, at least nothing a local cannot effectively do - yes we can factor in hazards, away from home, medical and all the like - but in some quarters, its still somewhat questionable!

But that said, undoubtably some of these guys do bring a certain level of expertise, experience and professionalism to the job, I for one can testify to this. . . so what I usually advice our people in this situation is, focus on the technology-transfer, what you can learn from some of these guys because at the end of the day, all the oil facilities and resources will be ours to run; they can't hijack it and carry to their land.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by RuuDie(m): 3:20pm On Mar 21, 2012
And I think the question of security, high-tension, though tenable, but still with commas. . . the way I see it, the local and the expat are working in the same environment, exposed to the same hazards, risks and volatility of the region they work - so what's good for the goose doesn't necessarily have to be good for the gander but something relatively commensurate wouldn't be bad either!
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Watchit1: 4:42pm On Mar 21, 2012
I wish to say that the level of corruption in this country is one big factor aiding all this inbalance between local and the expert, before the security issue became like it is today the expert has been exploiting the local in the this area of pay and even position, I remember very well around 90s(when there was'nt security problem) in my company they brought some so call expert who know nothing, yet it is the local that has to teach them work, on the education side they are not even well educated, may be just drop out of technical school yet they still come to nigeria in the name of expertraite quota given by our government(or corrupt immigration system, Here in negeria you see so call expertraite that is not even worth a shoe maker in their own country but coming to Nigeria to come Master and answer engineer, manager, because our system is corrupt. Here we are complain of lack of job yet our immigration and govt are trading away the few job with stipend dash or few dollar they can extract to their own pocket,

To be honest if the corrupt in nigeria did not abate, except God intervene or define supernatural, Just something like what happen with Abacha that overnight end his regime) it a difficult one
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by manosteel(m): 5:33pm On Mar 21, 2012
Generally, oil and Gas industry pay, not just only in Nigeria, all over the world especially if you are a skilled worker. I work in the Middle East, and I know a lot of companies that pay skill workers up to $75 per hour,roughly 18,000 US Dollar per month.

1 Like

Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by obowunmi(m): 5:43pm On Mar 21, 2012
Nigeria is a perfect country, ask Reuben Abati or Goodluck grin grin grin
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by tanimola22: 8:22pm On Mar 21, 2012
nwani oma:

Abeg which graduate earns 1M/Month!!

Old news. Visit the career section to see things for yourself. In terms of take home pay, all graduates are not the same. Some earn wages way above the market clearing wage. These are called primary graduates in 'Labour Theory' under the assumption that labour contracts constitute a partial gift exchange.

T22.
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Nobody: 5:06am On Mar 22, 2012
Another misinformation!
Re: Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World by Nobody: 10:07pm On Aug 14, 2012
lol..... i think the pay is based on the living conditions of the host country the expatriate is going to...and I know we all agree that the living conditions in Nigeria are not what a normal European or American will be used to, so the money is used to attract them to come. we need them to come because they have the knowledge and when they come here they can apply what they know to our own environment. All the expats I know work really hard, infact most work harder than their Nigerian counterparts. when Nigerians go to other countries as expats they also get fat pay checks better than their counterparts in those countries. Once Goodluck starts delivering on his fresh air promise, the allowances will reduce to industry standards

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Inflation: Why Are Salary Earners The Hardest Hit? / Enugu Workers Receive 13th Month Salary / TOEFL And GRE Examination In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.