Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,901 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:04 PM

OPC;fighting Violence With Violence (A Must Read 4 Every Non-Yoruba In Lagos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OPC;fighting Violence With Violence (A Must Read 4 Every Non-Yoruba In Lagos) (946 Views)

Yoruba Kayode Ogundamisi Exposed Inciting Hausa And Igbo Violence With Fake Pics / Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. / Boko Haram Vows To Escalate Violence With Somali Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

OPC;fighting Violence With Violence (A Must Read 4 Every Non-Yoruba In Lagos) by strangerf: 6:23am On Mar 20, 2012
Re: OPC;fighting Violence With Violence (A Must Read 4 Every Non-Yoruba In Lagos) by Callotti: 7:24am On Mar 20, 2012
Local thread.
Who wanno read 'agbOro' area fadas and sons plc politics? undecided
Re: OPC;fighting Violence With Violence (A Must Read 4 Every Non-Yoruba In Lagos) by rosefleurs: 2:21pm On Mar 22, 2012
strangerf: http://books.google.com/books?id=mbpUU3Atg7wC&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12&dq=yorubas+and+hausa+in+Sagamu&source=bl&ots=Lk8yYf139l&sig=Odo2E4lTzwAdsDk-tKAWyTMkx9A&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fgtoT7KiNceogwfz8tC8CQ&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=yorubas%20and%20hausa%20in%20Sagamu&f=false

lol. Yoruba chicks no dey carry last. The below highlights some effort OPC made in early 2000s to deal with the criminal element preying on innocent people.

I really support a move by Nigeria to impose a short period of military training on all young men and women. It does not mean they have to be compelled into actual combat. A physically trained (and somewhat armed) populace is a strong deterrent to troublemakers, criminals and enemies within and without.

If OPC is doing an active job keeping crime out of the community, much support to them. Since the police have decided their duty is to extort money from citizens instead of protecting then, we have an epidemic of armed robbers breaking into people homes to steal their life's possessions and violate them with impunity. Let OPC flush out criminals from their dungeons and ensure the safety of the people. But, they should not be a tool to spark ethnic conflict.

--------------------------
Page 26-27:
Another local resident was among the people who were rounded up by the OPC on that day, on the basis that they were suspected criminal:
I had gone to visit my relations [. . . ]. it was around 9 or 10 a.m. Suddenly a group of people, about twelve in number, stormed the room and ordered us to march out. They did not introduce themselves but I knew theat they were OPC men. There were about three women among them. They were armed with matchets, guns and dangerous-looking charms. They were led by a woman who went ahead to screen us. The screening consisted of placing charms on us and asking us several questions like what is our work, where do we live, how many criminal activities have we participated in, etc. They wanted to take us away but we refused to follow them, insisting that we are law abiding citizens doing our legitimate business.

Another man confirmed this information and explained that the OPC had already raided the area a few months earlier:
The first time I had encountered the OPC was around June 2002. The OPC had arrested one boy, Akeem, who had gone to rob somewhere at Ijanikin. They arrested a lot of people, at random. About twenty-two people incuding myself were arrested. They accused us of being robbers. During the operation, two people were shot in the knee by OPC, another had a slight bullet wound on his head. While another person had a matchet cut on his face. We were packed in several vehicles. We were first taken to Ojo Police Station and then to Panti. We were detained at Panti for several days. I was later bailed along with six others. The remaining fifteen stayed on for several months. I understand that some of them were taken to Ikoyi Prison and are still there.

---------------------

(1) (Reply)

Aodoakaa Vs Adoke / Arewa Youths Rejects Govt's N5.8bn Post-election Violence Compensation / Okorocha Defects To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.