Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,430 members, 7,812,277 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. (26418 Views)

Why Ndigbo Should Stop Viewing Yoruba's As Cowards- Reno Omokri / Buhari Appoints Hadiza Usman As NPA MD / Sanusi Lamido Ado-Bayero Appointed As NPA Managing Director By Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by MayorofLagos(m): 5:26am On May 13, 2015
http://www.m.worldstagegroup.com/readnews.php?&id=22243&active=news

The appointment of non-Yoruba to the position of the Nigerian Ports Authority, (NPA) is an insult to the Yoruba nation, the O’odua Nationalist Coalition, (ONAC) has said. ONAC said the position of the NPA Chairman and the Managing Director should be the preserve of the Yoruba people.

In a statement on Monday, the Pan Yoruba group stated that the Lagos port is the second largest source of revenue for the Federal Government adding that the Lagos port is to the Yoruba people what oil is to the Niger-Delta. If consistently Niger-Delta people have been at the helms of affairs at the NDDC, there is no reason why the NPC should not be consistently led by a Yoruba person.

ONAC stated that recent appointment of Alhaji Sanusi Lamido Ado Bayero  as the NPA Managing Director is absolutely wrong. It negates the principles of fairness. How on earth can you appoint some one who has no stream in his home state as the Managing Director of NPA? The Lagos port is on Yorubaland. In a true federal system, the chairman of the Ports Authority must necessarily be an indigene of Lagos or at least a Yoruba person, ONAC stated.

“For several years, the Lagos Port has been a source of financial muzzle for Nigeria. This port is located in Yorubaland and was used for trans-Atlantic trade route for over 1000 years by the Yoruba Nation before the artificial creation of Nigeria. It is disheartening that the Nigerian government has continued to undermine the natural right of Yoruba people to be made the NPA chairman. Successive governments have continued to commit this deliberate error. President Goodluck Jonathan has just committed the same assault on our people by his recent appointment”, the statement signed by ONAC official, Mr Olumide Ajayi stated.

ONAC stated that the appointment of a non-Yoruba as the NPA chairman violates the UN convention on indigenous rights. ONAC stated that the UN convention stresses  absolute need for consultation of state governments in the management of resources that belong to indigenous people the way the ports in Lagos belong to the people of Lagos. Quoting the UN Convention 169 on the right of indigenous people, ONAC stated that   the spirit of consultation and participation constitutes the cornerstone of Convention No. 169 on which all its provisions are based. The Convention requires that indigenous and tribal peoples are consulted on issues that affect them. It also requires that these peoples are able to engage in free, prior and informed participation in policy and development processes that affect them.ONAC said the Yoruba people have for long been taken for granted adding that it was high time the ethnic nationality began to bare her fangs.

The principles of consultation and participation in Convention No. 169 relate not only to specific development projects, but also to broader questions of governance, and the participation of indigenous and tribal peoples in public life.

The group said eventhough President Goodluck Jonathan is of the ethnic minority stock, his understanding of indigenous rights is narrow.

7 Likes

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by MayorofLagos(m): 5:28am On May 13, 2015
Jonathan remains clueless, before or after..

27 Likes

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by Nobody: 5:30am On May 13, 2015
Very tribalistic set of people. A northerner has always been in charge of the Lagos ports in nigeria.

But wait ohh.. I thought sanusi was their man? What happened to that relationship?

103 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by SkyBlue1: 5:30am On May 13, 2015
It is a federal parastatal. No ethnic group has any inherent "right" to demand the chairman should come from it. Now if you can prove the appointments are purposefully biased or prejudiced to prevent somebody from place A from getting it over somebody from place B, then we can have an adult conversation.

125 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by Nobody: 5:31am On May 13, 2015
MayorofLagos:
shut it!!! Let's see is your savior Buhari would even listen to this trash

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by tit(f): 5:38am On May 13, 2015
Sanusi is a Yoruba man.
As Muritala father was borning him in Kano,
little did Fulani people know that another Ogbomosho man was borning Sanusi at the same time.
Yoruba people have done wonders in the ba shiga of kano.
it is only you dont know.

3 Likes

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by owobokiri(m): 5:38am On May 13, 2015
When you willfully sign up to all sorts of slavish alliances, you should be pepared for a long life of servitude.

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by excellentmomma(f): 5:41am On May 13, 2015
So federal govt's port has turned to their property abi, issorai

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by Nobody: 5:51am On May 13, 2015
Tribalism has really blinded a lot

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by Nobody: 5:53am On May 13, 2015
Nigeria is never ONE..If i may ask,who uses the port the most?Yorubas or igbos?Thank God the said chairman is a northern,their slave master,before some educated fools starts hating wise men from the east.

97 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by Mckennedy: 6:13am On May 13, 2015
Can sense the trouble loading between the Noth & Yorubas of one Nigeria.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by tpiadotcom: 6:13am On May 13, 2015
has the position not mostly been occupied by northerners?

6 Likes

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by tpiadotcom: 6:14am On May 13, 2015
ONAC said the position of the NPA Chairman and the Managing Director should be the preserve of the Yoruba people.

but the outgoing chairman is Edo.
Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by highmood(m): 6:16am On May 13, 2015
The demand is baseless, but they should still man some positions in NPA . But it baffles me though that it's mostly the northerners that mans NPA and the customs. But then, if the Fed govt appoints anyone to man that port, its because its still a federal property. The man just exposed the selfishness of some south westerners, if he is now talking about indigenous right. Has he forgotten that the south-south have been demanding the management of thier resources for long? oil revenue among other resources were used to build the port but would you then say that the money generated from the port was used to develop the oil wells? Or maybe for the fact that Lagos airport was mainly used for international flights and probably the most busy airport in Nigeria, then a lagosian or southeasterner must be the minister of aviation or FAAN director? The last time I checked NPA is not just for Lagos port alone, its for the entire ports in Nigeria. I wonder why people are not calling for the development of other ports. Is this preference giving to Lagos port meant to cage most people here in Lagos just like we are experiencing now in this traffic gridlock? Why is NPA headquarters still in Lagos when there are other ports included in this authority?

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by gleaf: 6:29am On May 13, 2015
Tell those people that its called "NIgerian Ports Authority" and not Yoruba Ports Authority!!!

88 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by luvinhubby(m): 6:36am On May 13, 2015
The op is a hopeless cause undecided
What is the correlation between a port that is used by every section of the country & is generating income used by all sections of the country to a commission like NDDC set up for the sole purpose of addressing the issues of that zone alone.

Bigotry is a deadly disease that should be avoided at all costs.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by Onyejiuwaokoh: 6:42am On May 13, 2015
This is baseless, if it goes like that minister of petroleum must be from south south, Agriculture a northerner, anything sports Easterners. Igbos do business and have largest markets in Nigeria they should take over finance ministry and CBN, they travel more than other parts of Nigeria they should take aviation ministry. Northerners should not go near education ministry at all. Ministry of justice should be left for the yorubas. l think ministry of defence should be northern property.

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by M4gunners: 6:49am On May 13, 2015
One nigeria my yansh. Oh that was why they want to throw us into Lagoon so they can control the whole Lagos hw they like? Now i say Sai Baba on this. Una never see anything.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by sinizia: 6:50am On May 13, 2015
And yet these people will be the first to attack Igbos when they demand something. I wonder who's now the hypocrites.

One Nigeria doesn't and will never exist. This is the reason why this country will never move forward. The greatest disease we have in this country is TRIBALISM not corruption. It's tribalism that led to corruption. If U.S.A, U.K etc., were engrossed in this tribal madness, they'd never have gone far to this stage they are right now. We're first to rejoice when Nigerians are contesting in top educational, political and economical positions in other countries, but here in our country, we don't practice what we preach. Obama would never have been become the President of Nigeria. You'd have heard comments like "He's from Kenya, it's the North's turn to rule. He's not an Omo Odua".. "His parents are not Igbo." But Americans, far intelligent and wise than us, overlooked such backward mentality. Tribalism has killed this country.

Merit doesn't prevail in this country. It's all about tribe. Every act of ours is guided by tribal and religious affiliation. i just don't get this, you mean a position should be held by a particular tribe in a country? So Igbos, Hausas, Niger-Deltans can go and die? So others tribes in their own country are not meant to hold positions in their own country? This country is a farce. Why are we together? We don't love each other. Why do they hate on the Igbos for trying to want out then? Ain't it obvious we are not ONE NIGERIA? Just look what a group is shamelessly saying. This country disgust me sometimes!! Lord Luggard you brought this pestilence on us, it shall not be well with you. angry

59 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by Nobody: 6:51am On May 13, 2015
embarassed
Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by kazmanbanjoko(m): 6:59am On May 13, 2015
Jonathan is always clueless since 2009

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by Nobody: 7:01am On May 13, 2015
I know about OPC but I don't know all these loud mouthed group formed by Tinubu for political expediency.

If that stupid group said such then I don't see any reason why the NNPC leadership and the ministry of petroleum resources should not be manned by people from SS/SE

9 Likes

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by bjdon: 7:04am On May 13, 2015
What a stupid statement. Going by that logic the head of NNPC and minster of petroleum should always come from the SS. NPA is a federal agency and the ports can be run by anyone from any part of the country.

9 Likes

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by oduastates: 7:05am On May 13, 2015
SkyBlue1:
It is a federal parastatal. No ethnic group has any inherent "right" to demand the chairman should come from it. Now if you can prove the appointments are purposefully biased or prejudiced to prevent somebody from place A from getting it over somebody from place B, then we can have an adult conversation.

Na our oil lagoon. We are getting there soon.
Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by sinizia: 7:08am On May 13, 2015
Never knew these people are this tribalistic. ND has the oil
wells, yet they don't own up to 3% of it. I think it's high
time Niger-Deltans seized control of all the oil wells in this
country since it's all about tribalism and it's in their region.
Bloody idíots. What a sham of a country. No matter how
long it will take, this country will divide one day. You can
delay it but you can't deny it. One Nigeria exist only in Lord
Luggard's head. Fúck that fool for bringing us together

Anyway, they don't speak for the entire Yorubas, so their opinions has been duly noted and kindly considered dumb and inconsequential.

cutietokunbo:

Foolishness at its peak!!!! Where did you get this stupid submission from; Igbos travel.......

You need to leave that your East even Nigeria so as to see what d situation is outside Nigeria and see that your kinsmen are deceiving you.

I lived in US for 5 to 6 years before I relocated back to UK and I can boldly tell you that Igbos in these two countries are not even up to 20% of Yorubas population. The same story in Canada and Ireland. You can only see large numbers of Igbos in these following countries: South Africa, Malaysia and China.

Pls, if you doubt my submission, go to Any Airport in State, UK, Ireland, Canada even our own Airport- MMA and listen to most of the passengers who are Nigerians. You ll realise that 80% of Nigerians at these Airports I have mentioned are Yorubas. It's so bad that some of these Countries Immigration staff are now speaking one to two Yoruba words.

Pls don't bring few Igbos that travel to Dubai and China to buy their goods into this cos there are Yorubas who buy their products from China too but I m 100% sure that Igbos do more of that than Yorubas.

Pls go to "Gbagi market" in Ibadan to see things for yourself; the size alone and come back here to tell me if you see a single Igbo man in that Market.

Come to "Bodija Market in" Ibadan; the size alone ll scare shit out of you. All occupied by Yorubas...

Pls come to "Oja Oba" in Ibadan as well so as to see that your kinsmen have been lying to you about Igbo love for business.

Alaba Market is Yoruba controlled properties rented out to Igbos. It all started from Surulere before it was splited into two- Mile 2, Ketu and d present day Alaba, Ojo. Igbos dominated this market.

Idumota Market; apart from Nollywood section(Excluding Yoruba movies), Yorubas dominated this market.

My friend, out of 10 biggest market in Nigeria today, Yorubas have 5 markets(Alaba, Bodija, Gbagi, Idumota and Oja Oba while Igbos have 4 (Ariaria, Onitsha market, Ogbete and New Market Aba). So where do you get this self serving stat from?

If you are talking about numbers of Industrialists in Nigeria today, you ll hardly see any Igbo among real industrialists except Innoson.

Udmaster:
you are very silly, Igbos will dominate you Everytime and you will keep ranting like an slowpoke Escapee.

Just like i predicted, this has turned into a Yoruba-Igbo tribal fight. You lots are very predictable.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by sinizia: 7:12am On May 13, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Stop ranting like a rabid dog. You hate for Jonathan will consume you while he goes on with his life, forever happy.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by SkyBlue1: 7:13am On May 13, 2015
sinizia:
Never knew these people are this tribalistic. ND has the oil wells, yet they don't own up to 3% of it. I think it's high time Niger-Deltans seized control of all the oil wells in this country since it's all about tribalism and it's in their region. Bloody idíots. What a sham of a country. No matter how long it will take, this country will divide one day. You can delay it but you can't deny it. One Nigeria exist only in Lord Luggard's head. Fúck that fool for bringing us together.

You're taking this too personal. This sentiment is coming from a nationalist group so what on earth do you expect their position to be? I don't know why people are so quick to extrapolate the comments of anybody or group in any part of the country to mean the sentiment or comment of a whole region. Was a poll taken? It is like people expressing shock at MASSOB still pushing for Biafra. Like seriously, the clue is in the name.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by cutietokunbo: 7:40am On May 13, 2015
Onyejiuwaokoh:
This is baseless, if it goes like that minister of petroleum must be from south south, Agriculture a northerner, anything sports Easterners. Igbos do business and have largest markets in Nigeria they should take over finance ministry and CBN, they travel more than other parts of Nigeria they should take aviation ministry. Northerners should not go near education ministry at all. Ministry of justice should be left for the yorubas. l think ministry of defence should be northern property.

Foolishness at its peak!!!! Where did you get this stupid submission from; Igbos travel.......

You need to leave that your East even Nigeria so as to see what d situation is outside Nigeria and see that your kinsmen are deceiving you.

I lived in US for 5 to 6 years before I relocated back to UK and I can boldly tell you that Igbos in these two countries are not even up to 20% of Yorubas population. The same story in Canada and Ireland. You can only see large numbers of Igbos in these following countries: South Africa, Malaysia and China.

Pls, if you doubt my submission, go to Any Airport in State, UK, Ireland, Canada even our own Airport- MMA and listen to most of the passengers who are Nigerians. You ll realise that 80% of Nigerians at these Airports I have mentioned are Yorubas. It's so bad that some of these Countries Immigration staff are now speaking one to two Yoruba words.

Pls don't bring few Igbos that travel to Dubai and China to buy their goods into this cos there are Yorubas who buy their products from China too but I m 100% sure that Igbos do more of that than Yorubas.

Pls go to "Gbagi market" in Ibadan to see things for yourself; the size alone and come back here to tell me if you see a single Igbo man in that Market.

Come to "Bodija Market in" Ibadan; the size alone ll scare shit out of you. All occupied by Yorubas...

Pls come to "Oja Oba" in Ibadan as well so as to see that your kinsmen have been lying to you about Igbo love for business.

Alaba Market is Yoruba controlled properties rented out to Igbos. It all started from Surulere before it was splited into two- Mile 2, Ketu and d present day Alaba, Ojo. Igbos dominated this market.

Idumota Market; apart from Nollywood section(Excluding Yoruba movies), Yorubas dominated this market.

My friend, out of 10 biggest market in Nigeria today, Yorubas have 5 markets(Alaba, Bodija, Gbagi, Idumota and Oja Oba while Igbos have 4 (Ariaria, Onitsha market, Ogbete and New Market Aba). So where do you get this self serving stat from?

If you are talking about numbers of Industrialists in Nigeria today, you ll hardly see any Igbo among real industrialists except Innoson.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by ideykwum: 8:01am On May 13, 2015
You don't have to educate the slowpokes! It's like pouring water on a ducks back! If some people had the advantages others have now, Nigeria would have been history!!!

bjdon:
What a stupid statement. Going by that logic the head of NNPC and minster of petroleum should always come from the SS. NPA is a federal agency and the ports can be run by anyone from any part of the country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. by ideykwum: 8:02am On May 13, 2015
If the Yorubas had the oil in the Niger-Delta, Nigeria would have been history!!

sinizia:
Never knew these people are this tribalistic. ND has the oil wells, yet they don't own up to 3% of it. I think it's high time Niger-Deltans seized control of all the oil wells in this country since it's all about tribalism and it's in their region. Bloody idíots. What a sham of a country. No matter how long it will take, this country will divide one day. You can delay it but you can't deny it. One Nigeria exist only in Lord Luggard's head. Fúck that fool for bringing us together.

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tinubu: I Am Confident Of Winning The 2023 Presidential Election / Meet The Senator Who Signed Andrew Yakubu's Bail (photo) / Western Powers Blocking Nigeria’s Power Solution – Adeosun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.