Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,983 members, 7,817,901 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? (4521 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by vedaxcool(m): 9:16pm On Mar 20, 2012
This should not be seen as some sort of challenge but I will like to ask atheist what they think their unbelief has added to mankind.
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by buzugee(m): 9:19pm On Mar 20, 2012
vedaxcool: This should not be seen as some sort of challenge but I will like to ask atheist what they think their unbelief has added to mankind.
all they do is eat, s-h-i-t, fork and sleep. thats the atheists purpose in life. no higher purpose angry
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by mazaje(m): 10:56pm On Mar 20, 2012
Not sure. But I can tell you what religion has done to humanity. And it is not pretty.(Joke)

But seriously, atheism is not a position that is intended to lead to something else. Atheism is a conclusion. What you need to ask about is the system that atheism is concluded FROM. You need to ask "What has rational, skeptical thought that is free from dogma and indoctrination contributed to humanity"?
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by noetic16(m): 11:20pm On Mar 20, 2012
buzugee: all they do is eat, s-h-i-t, fork and sleep. thats the atheists purpose in life. no higher purpose angry

grin grin seconded
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by noetic16(m): 11:22pm On Mar 20, 2012
mazaje: Not sure. But I can tell you what religion has done to humanity. And it is not pretty.(Joke)

But seriously, atheism is not a position that is intended to lead to something else. Atheism is a conclusion. What you need to ask about is the system that atheism is concluded FROM. You need to ask "What has rational, skeptical thought that is free from dogma and indoctrination contributed to humanity"?

please save the gospel and simply answer the OP question. what conclusion is atheism? conclusion based on what evidences? how rational is it to dismiss the notion that intelligence begets intelligence? . . . .that aint rational
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by mazaje(m): 11:29pm On Mar 20, 2012
noetic16:

please save the gospel and simply answer the OP question. what conclusion is atheism? conclusion based on what evidences? how rational is it to dismiss the notion that intelligence begets intelligence? . . . .that aint rational

The conclusion of atheism is lack of acceptance of superstition, mythology, primitive fantasies, concepts and dogmas. . .Its conclusion is based on the fact that no religion has ever proved any of its assertion and extra ordinary claims. . .intelligence begets intelligence? Whats that?. . .
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by Callotti: 11:46pm On Mar 20, 2012
Peace. . .
Unlike religious hypocrites.
The most peaceful nations are?
Thank God for them.
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by mkmyers45(m): 9:34am On Mar 21, 2012
Have you ever heard atheist countries fighting each other? Most worldwide inventions are hand-works of atheist/deist who have refused to allow thier mind be logged by religious jiggery-pokery
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by mkmyers45(m): 9:36am On Mar 21, 2012
Callotti: Peace. . .
Unlike religious hypocrites.
The most peaceful nations are?
Thank God for them.
Exactly...Atheist/deist nations
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by emofine2(f): 9:45am On Mar 21, 2012
I think this question is slightly misleading because the question portrays atheism as a sort of organization by summing all atheists as a collective as if they are a practitioner of a system.

I think a better posed question would have been - what have atheists contributed to humanity?

Besides the onus still rests on the religions claiming their gospel is to offer a better alternative for mankind.
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by mkmyers45(m): 9:52am On Mar 21, 2012
emöfine2: I think this question is slightly misleading because the question portrays atheism as a sort of organization by summing all atheists as a collective as if they are a practitioner of a system.

I think a better posed question would have been - what have atheists contributed to humanity?

Besides the onus still rests on the religions claiming their gospel is to offer a better alternative for mankind.
Thank you very much and what have they given mankind? Deciet? War? Strife?
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by emofine2(f): 9:54am On Mar 21, 2012
mkmyers45: Have you ever heard atheist countries fighting each other? Most worldwide inventions are hand-works of atheist/deist who have refused to allow thier mind be logged by religious jiggery-pokery

I have to disagree. Being religious does not exempt one from making meaningful contributions. Attainments such as invention is not exclusive to any particular group. That is the equivalent to the assertion of some religious people who believe that they have a monopoly on morality.
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by Seun(m): 9:54am On Mar 21, 2012
As an atheist, I have contributed Nairaland to humanity, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Tai Solarin contributed Mayflower School which set many young children on the path to success.

1 Like

Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by maclatunji: 10:08am On Mar 21, 2012
Seun: As an atheist, I have contributed Nairaland to humanity, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Tai Solarin contributed Mayflower School which set many young children on the path to success.

LOL, aren't we jumping for joy?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by maclatunji: 10:13am On Mar 21, 2012
mkmyers45: Thank you very much and what have they given mankind? Deciet? War? Strife?

You are deluding yourself, do animals fight or not? Is religion responsible for that? The case of an atheist is like one who decides not to eat because he is afraid of choking, he is certain to die of hunger.

1 Like

Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by mkmyers45(m): 10:13am On Mar 21, 2012
emöfine2:

I have to disagree. Being religious does not exempt one from making meaningful contributions. Attainments such as invention is not exclusive to any particular group. That is the equivalent to the assertion of some religious people who believe that they have a monopoly on morality.

I was responding in the direction the op is coming from (i'm not an atheist) but he meant his statement as if Atheist/Deist are black sheeps. You above statement is true but remember that the op dosent even know that atheism is not a movement of people but individual idealogies.
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by mkmyers45(m): 10:15am On Mar 21, 2012
maclatunji:

You are deluding yourself, do animals fight or not? Is religion responsible for that? The case of an atheist is like one who decides not to eat because he is afraid of choking, he is certain to die of hunger.

Please re-read the op's post and deduce what he was heading then re-read my post.
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by maclatunji: 10:16am On Mar 21, 2012
I hereby submit that it is practically impossible to be an atheist in the classic definition of the word. You can only pretend to be an atheist tongue.
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by mkmyers45(m): 10:17am On Mar 21, 2012
buzugee: all they do is eat, s-h-i-t, fork and sleep. thats the atheists purpose in life. no higher purpose angry

Not expecting this from you....
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by mkmyers45(m): 10:20am On Mar 21, 2012
vedaxcool: This should not be seen as some sort of challenge but I will like to ask atheist what they think their unbelief has added to mankind.

Please from your own point-of-view what has belief added to humanity/
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by Seun(m): 10:41am On Mar 21, 2012
Bill Gates contributed the "computer in every home" vision to humanity and he's an atheist. So what are we saying?
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by mkmyers45(m): 10:47am On Mar 21, 2012
Seun: Bill Gates contributed the "computer in every home" vision to humanity and he's an atheist. So what are we saying?

Exactly....Atheist adherents if carefully studied have accounted for most of major milestones humanity has reached.
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by harakiri(m): 11:00am On Mar 21, 2012
mkmyers45: Have you ever heard atheist countries fighting each other? Most worldwide inventions are hand-works of atheist/deist who have refused to allow thier mind be logged by religious jiggery-pokery

Tell them.
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by harakiri(m): 11:01am On Mar 21, 2012
Seun: As an atheist, I have contributed Nairaland to humanity, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Tell them.

***In between, why aren't NL alerts going into inbox anymore?***
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by harakiri(m): 11:04am On Mar 21, 2012
This thread is soooo wrong. The question should be :

WHAT HAS RELIGION CONTRIBUTED TO HUMANITY?

NB : You can use Nigeria as a case study. . .lol grin

1 Like

Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by maclatunji: 11:05am On Mar 21, 2012
mkmyers45:

Exactly....Atheist adherents if carefully studied have accounted for most of major milestones humanity has reached.

Yawns!
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by Nobody: 11:08am On Mar 21, 2012
As an atheist, I have contributed Nairaland to humanity, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Seun in the early years of these forum,I use 2 think you were onca a catholic when did you veer off into atheism?
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:17am On Mar 21, 2012
harakiri: This thread is soooo wrong. The question should be :

WHAT HAS RELIGION CONTRIBUTED TO HUMANITY?

NB : You can use Nigeria as a case study. . .lol grin
Religion gave mankind Nigeria. Eeeeeek!! shocked shocked
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by dare2think: 12:00pm On Mar 21, 2012
If only God can give a sign or show up to put a rest on these 'There's is a God or not' debate that has been circulating throughout history!

I know one thing for sure, no faith/non-faith has the monopoly of knowledge or wisdom. And no indices to show that God favours those who believe in him and despises those who don't. (atleast in real life) I.e those who believe in God suffer too. Fact

Both parties(Atheists and believers) experiences the good and bad that life offers! And as for the heavenly reward that seems to be one of the benefits that 'religious' folks profess, no evidence whatsoever that it exist or that it is exclusive to a particular faith. And if it really exists, most faiths claim that it is their 'birth-right' and fellow believers of different faiths are not welcomed unless they subscribe to the other's doctrine (Stingy bas.tar.ds)

So, WTF!

2 Likes

Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Mar 21, 2012
Lol.
Welcome back. Good points made.
Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by vedaxcool(m): 1:13pm On Mar 21, 2012
The response are so wrong! Making me wonder when will harakiri finally commit harakiri and free nl of harakism! grin. The atheists are begging for a diversion of the thread. Some made failed attempts to answering the question, yet it was barely there. The claim that atheism is n,t organized should not be tendered by any serious minded person, consider picking coin is my hobby and u ask me what has my picking of coins contributed to humanity, my response is coins can be preserved for later generations. Imagine such trivial activities can boast of a contribution to humanity yet atheism and all the hype and harakiri can not even give us a bad coin excuse! Lol

For seun to claim he contributed nl is a contribution by atheism is hardly attributed to being an atheist, would the countless websites that people socialize in be considered contributions by their respective religions? Don't make me laugh and Bill gate gave humanity microsoft? Really another contribution by atheism? Ok and the countless bugs Microsoft fix time to time is what? A draw back to atheism? This sort of things are more of the individual own personal effort.

The question is simple what exactly did atheism contribute to humanity?

2 Likes

Re: What Has Atheism Contributed To Humanity? by Seun(m): 1:14pm On Mar 21, 2012
chukwudi44: Seun in the early years of these forum,I use 2 think you were once a catholic when did you veer off into atheism?
I've been an atheist for about 10 years. I come from a pentecostal background.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Quran 5:51 - Need A Genuine Explanation From A Muslim / Illuminati Exposed! Top Secret Video Leaked!!! / Can God Forgive Someone Who Burn The Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.