Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? (6530 Views)

Eleven Crazy Traffic Laws From Around The World / Share Your Car Service/user Manual / Crazy Traffic Laws That Actually Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by Cleverley(m): 11:35am On Mar 21, 2012
We need constand orientation's on traffic laws to avoid accident and steady hold-up on our roads for effecive transportation system in our dear country... Pls ur comment is highly needed b'cos this has to do with both the educated and less educated citizen disobeying the traffic laws/sign. Thank u
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:43am On Mar 21, 2012
Some drivers do not even know the traffic laws.btw,does frsc still print that highway code ?
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by Callotti: 11:50am On Mar 21, 2012
Because there are no consequences for lawlessness in Nigeria.
Try am for hia, you go become born-again Sharia by force!
NGERIANS ARE LAWLESS PERIOD!HIGHLY INDISCIPLINED TOO.
Always in a dire hurry to go nowhere fast.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by Arosa(m): 11:55am On Mar 21, 2012
If I am 100% sure that I will get away with a crime it's logical to say that i would most likely do it. undecided

two brothers challenge Socrates to define justice in the man, and unlike the rather short and simple definitions offered in Book I, their views of justice are presented in two independent speeches. Glaucon's speech reprises Thrasymachus' idea of justice; it starts with the legend of Gyges who discovered a ring that gave him the power to become invisible. Glaucon uses this story to argue that no man would be just if he had the opportunity of doing injustice with impunity. With the power to become invisible, Gyges is able to seduce the queen, murder the king, and take over the kingdom. Glaucon argues that the just as well as the unjust man would do the same if they had the power to get away with injustice exempt from punishment. The only reason that men are just and praise justice is out of fear of being punished for injustice. The law is a product of compromise between individuals who agree not to do injustice to others if others will not do injustice to them. Glaucon says that if people had the power to do injustice without fear of punishment, they would not enter into such an agreement. Glaucon uses this argument to challenge Socrates to defend the position that the unjust life is better than the just life. Adeimantus adds to Glaucon's speech the charge that men are only just for the results that justice brings one- fortune, honor, reputation. Adeimantus challenges Socrates to prove that being just is worth something in and of itself, not only as a means to an end.

Book II, Plato's Republic.
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by kunlekunle: 2:57pm On Mar 21, 2012
that's why they hate buhari
they are not discplined
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 3:09pm On Mar 21, 2012
anyone with access to the traffic laws in nigeria

there are very few traffic officers, i think the govt can create more employment through this alone, they can even be self funding, all the revenue the collect from suicide drivers can be used to pay their salaries-

1 Like

Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by 1forall: 3:12pm On Mar 21, 2012
In typical Nigerian style I respond with questions:

Why do law enforcers consistently break the law?
Our President breaks the law and doesn't keep to his word, so what would you expect from citizens?

It's a systemic problem that can't be effectively dealt with in isolation.
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by Arosa(m): 3:13pm On Mar 21, 2012
Dis Guy: anyone with access to the traffic laws in nigeria

there are very few traffic officers, i think the govt can create more employment through this alone, they can even be self funding, all the revenue the collect from suicide drivers can be used to pay their salaries-

You have said it as it should be, my good man.
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by kcjazz(m): 3:24pm On Mar 21, 2012
How do folks get their license? No training required and most times you don't even need to be at Road safety office for that.

On the other hand insecurity is an issue that cannot be neglected, people get robbed waiting in traffic or at a traffic light at night hence no need to stop, you might have a good intention to obey but if you see gun once, your eye go clear wink
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by cocoduck: 3:26pm On Mar 21, 2012
There is so much lawlessness in the country because nigeria exists only on paper not on the ground
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by Koolking(m): 3:32pm On Mar 21, 2012
Nigeria is a lawless nation. If you have your money you grind the laws

Laws in Nigeria are not made to bite (made to bite the poor) but to bark
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by brainchild78(m): 3:34pm On Mar 21, 2012
1. The laws are not explicitly indicated
2. the perquisite for obtaining a drivers license is too porous (there is no standard practical driving test)
3. the bodies entrusted with enforcing road laws have a wrong manner of approach which in turn ignites defiance
4. there are little or close to no signs explicitly mounted on roads
5. major our electronic traffic facilities (i.e. Traffic Lights) do not work
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by 76Naira(m): 3:39pm On Mar 21, 2012
Because they are in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by ariyebaba(m): 3:45pm On Mar 21, 2012
BCUZ THERE ARE NO LAWS IN NIGERIA. grin shocked sad tongue
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by badmrkt(m): 3:53pm On Mar 21, 2012
it's becus our law enforcement officers are law breakers
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by Jay11: 4:24pm On Mar 21, 2012
simple.. we nigerians are lawless and ve no love for one another.
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 4:35pm On Mar 21, 2012
Lack of education about the Traffic Law
Lack of enforcing the law
Availability of pay 20 Naira and walk away
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by MoUTD: 4:36pm On Mar 21, 2012
Nigeria is lawless environment where everything goes...imagine we have traffic light in some developed area but no cctv to monitor offender , not to talk database of the car n the car owner...so how are you going prosecute such offender.our entire system is not in right state.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by IYANGBALI: 4:44pm On Mar 21, 2012
it is because we are being neglected by our government.
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by ZUBY77(m): 4:49pm On Mar 21, 2012
The major reason is that we dont go for proper driving classes. We dont learn road signs etc.
All we do is to take a car to a field, learn to shift gears and and turn the steering wheels and then head for the road.
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by POTUT(m): 4:49pm On Mar 21, 2012
4. kunlekunle:
that's why they hate buhari
they are not discplined

Are you a Nigerian? Who hates Buhari? If he loses an election does it mean he is hated? I think you are very wrong with that notion that Buhari is hated by Nigerians.

10. Koolking(m):
Nigeria is a lawless nation. If you have your money you grind the laws

Laws in Nigeria are not made to bite (made to bite the poor) but to bark

You are spot on! The attitude of flouting laws and rules started a long time ago and has been sustained consciously by Nigerians in all positions of authority who forget that their actions have an effect on the psyche of the populace.
The other day, precisely in January this year, the Akwa Ibom State governor zoomed past the traffic lights (that were on red) at Civic Center (Ozumba Mbadiwe) with his convoy. It was my turn to go but I knew better. I was driving in a small Yaris and his convoy was the heavy tonnage Landcruisers. (please this applies to all of them, I just used this because it happened to me.)
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 4:56pm On Mar 21, 2012
POTUT:

Are you a Nigerian? Who hates Buhari? If he loses an election does it mean he is hated? I think you are very wrong with that notion that Buhari is hated by Nigerians.

Lol
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:04pm On Mar 21, 2012
@ OP

THIS IS SPARTA!!! NIGERIA!!!!!

lol!!

But on the reals though!!

I have turned into a lunatic in Nigeria! I remember when I was still abroad and had my Driving test to sit for, I studied like I was going to write GCE or WAEC. I remember that after I passed the computer based test, I still had to do a road test with an instructor scoring me for virtually everything ranging from how I reversed my car out of the spot to wether I drove the car without him having his seatbelt on.

Rewind 12years to Nigeria. I was bare 15 when I started moving my fathers car around the compound. By 16, I could move and break without the car jerking. Same 16, I started taking my dads car out of the house for joyrides covertly. Same 16, my father caught me with his car outside and gets me a license. Almost 9 years and two non-fatal accidents before I finally got officially trained on driving and driving rules. This situation applies to many Nigerians. We no go driving school but we dey drive. Most husbands buy a car and call their cousin to teach their wives how to drive it. same same everyday. Lord knows how many police checkpoints a 16 yearold me drove through with just 20naira in hand. . .

The police and law enforcement dont help either. They run red lights at will, drive on the shoulder/kerb, drive against traffic, speed through intersections and such crap. Its shameful to see the Nigerian Poice sitting inside of a vehicle that is blatantly breaking the driving laws in broad Daylight. Ambulances have also been abused. Ambulances carrying corpes in a coffin also feel they are entitled to disregard traffic laws. The Taxi driver illiterate feels that driving like a lunatic is tha new cool. I was in a taxi oneday and the driver almost hit a mans accord. I repremanded the driver and told him that "shey if you jam am now, na sorry you go tell am". What of if ehn lock u for cell." The driver said he will go to cell after a week, he will be released. UNBELIEVABLE.

Licensing office. My sister got a drivers license at the age of 14. I got mine at 16, both times we never did physically appear at the licensing office. You could make a drivers license for tyour dog provided you have two of it Passport photos and its paw-print and some money.

Duplication of functions by law enforcement. Now! WHo do we hold responsible? Is it FRSC, or Traffic Police, or LASTMA TYP OUTFITS, or VIO, or black police?!

The truth is that the chaos on our streets and roads are a product of a failed non-functioning society.

If the police worked, we would have no need for Lastma. If Drivers were trained, we would have no need for Road Safety, If the drivers knew the meaning of road signs and who to cede right of way to at what point, we would have no need for Yellow fever, If the Police stopped taking bribes and arrested and prosecuted driving offenders, we would have fewer reckless drivers on the road.

I have seen countless times where Fire trucks in real emergencies and caught in traffic for no real reason.

DO YOU KNOW THAT THE LIFE OF MOST NIGERIANS KILLED AS A RESULT OF RECKLESS DRIVING is rarely ever up to 500,000 Naira (Funeral rites inclusive). SOmetimes 100,000 - 200,000 depending on how poor the family of the deceased actually are.

Once more O.P, THIS IS SPARTA!! NIGERIA!!

When you are in Nigeria, Drive like the Nigerians!! No be we spoil country.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by bykes(m): 5:06pm On Mar 21, 2012
80% of road users in Nigeria don't know what zebra crossing means
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by faithin9ja: 5:06pm On Mar 21, 2012
Are you a Nigerian? Who hates Buhari? If he loses an election does it mean he is hated? I think you are very wrong with that notion that Buhari is hated by Nigerians
[color=#006600][/color]

I am a Nigerian and I HATE Buhari - there I said it!!

No Nigerian under to age of 40 has done a driving test in Nigeria.
No Nigerian under the age of 40 who has been driving in Nigeria knows anything about the Highway Code.
Nigerians under the age of 40 who have even seen the Highway Code is less than 10%

If you don't know a law how can you obey it? My car was towed by LASTMA because I parked on a pavement in Ikoyi - I was totally wrong, my 58 year old Uncle was arguing with LASTMA that they had no right to tow my vehicle, afterall I was only parked on the pavement, I was not obstructing anyone. I had to educate him that 'parking on the pavement' obstructs pedestrians who also have rights too and I had committed an offence by parking on the pavement. Can you imagine a 58 year old who has been driving for over 30 years (and he did a driving test because when he past in the 70's he came to our house to celebrate- I remember) but he doesn't know not to park on the pavement
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by mbulela: 5:07pm On Mar 21, 2012
Pretty simple case.
Because they can get away with it.Either out rightly or by bribing their way through.
Implement sharia hand chopping with no favouritism and watch Nigerians fall in line.
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by denzel2009: 5:24pm On Mar 21, 2012
ask any danfo driver they all think zebra crossing is a tom tom advert.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by freezy(m): 5:41pm On Mar 21, 2012
Driver: *Blares horn* Are you blind? Do you not see a car before trying to cross the road?
Pedestrian: Are you blind? DO you not see the Zebra crosssing?
Driver: Zebra Crossing? You are mad. Are you a Zebra?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by Idrive: 5:43pm On Mar 21, 2012
Its actually shocking the way other road users behave once they get behind the wheel of a vehicle. i've experienced people getting upset and raining insults because i stopped at a traffic light on red when there was no on coming traffic.

Couple with the fact that everyone seems to be in a rush to get to their destination doesnt help either, for example aty the lekki Tollgate yeaterday i witnessed an accident in slow moving traffic because someone was still trying to get ahead of other cars waiting to pay at the tolls.

We live in a Lawless country so its not surprisng most people disregard the simple etiquettes of driving.

Anyway Please check out and like the TopDriver facebook page or follow us on twitter @TopDriverNG and share your motoring views and experiences its only interactive when you guys take part....Take the wheel

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TopDriver/158342120950290?ref=tn_tnmn

appreciate the support and feedback
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by Cleverley(m): 5:52pm On Mar 21, 2012
Okija_juju: @ OP

THIS IS SPARTA!!! NIGERIA!!!!!

lol!!. . . . . . Nice but u didnt include the passerby in ur explaination, dnt u think they are also the road user?. . . People cross the road recklessly with their shoulder high as being smart.

But on the reals though!!

I have turned into a lunatic in Nigeria! I remember when I was still abroad and had my Driving test to sit for, I studied like I was going to write GCE or WAEC. I remember that after I passed the computer based test, I still had to do a road test with an instructor scoring me for virtually everything ranging from how I reversed my car out of the spot to wether I drove the car without him having his seatbelt on.

Rewind 12years to Nigeria. I was bare 15 when I started moving my fathers car around the compound. By 16, I could move and break without the car jerking. Same 16, I started taking my dads car out of the house for joyrides covertly. Same 16, my father caught me with his car outside and gets me a license. Almost 9 years and two non-fatal accidents before I finally got officially trained on driving and driving rules. This situation applies to many Nigerians. We no go driving school but we dey drive. Most husbands buy a car and call their cousin to teach their wives how to drive it. same same everyday. Lord knows how many police checkpoints a 16 yearold me drove through with just 20naira in hand. . .

The police and law enforcement dont help either. They run red lights at will, drive on the shoulder/kerb, drive against traffic, speed through intersections and such crap. Its shameful to see the Nigerian Poice sitting inside of a vehicle that is blatantly breaking the driving laws in broad Daylight. Ambulances have also been abused. Ambulances carrying corpes in a coffin also feel they are entitled to disregard traffic laws. The Taxi driver illiterate feels that driving like a lunatic is tha new cool. I was in a taxi oneday and the driver almost hit a mans accord. I repremanded the driver and told him that "shey if you jam am now, na sorry you go tell am". What of if ehn lock u for cell." The driver said he will go to cell after a week, he will be released. UNBELIEVABLE.

Licensing office. My sister got a drivers license at the age of 14. I got mine at 16, both times we never did physically appear at the licensing office. You could make a drivers license for tyour dog provided you have two of it Passport photos and its paw-print and some money.

Duplication of functions by law enforcement. Now! WHo do we hold responsible? Is it FRSC, or Traffic Police, or LASTMA TYP OUTFITS, or VIO, or black police?!

The truth is that the chaos on our streets and roads are a product of a failed non-functioning society.

If the police worked, we would have no need for Lastma. If Drivers were trained, we would have no need for Road Safety, If the drivers knew the meaning of road signs and who to cede right of way to at what point, we would have no need for Yellow fever, If the Police stopped taking bribes and arrested and prosecuted driving offenders, we would have fewer reckless drivers on the road.

I have seen countless times where Fire trucks in real emergencies and caught in traffic for no real reason.

DO YOU KNOW THAT THE LIFE OF MOST NIGERIANS KILLED AS A RESULT OF RECKLESS DRIVING is rarely ever up to 500,000 Naira (Funeral rites inclusive). SOmetimes 100,000 - 200,000 depending on how poor the family of the deceased actually are.

Once more O.P, THIS IS SPARTA!! NIGERIA!!

When you are in Nigeria, Drive like the Nigerians!! No be we spoil country.
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by mercenaryx(m): 6:02pm On Mar 21, 2012
Callotti: Because there are no consequences for lawlessness in Nigeria.
Try am for hia, you go become born-again Sharia by force!
NGERIANS ARE LAWLESS PERIOD!HIGHLY INDISCIPLINED TOO.
Always in a dire hurry to go nowhere fast.

Please shut up.
Re: Why Do Road User's Neglect Traffic Laws In Nigeria? by mercenaryx(m): 6:04pm On Mar 21, 2012
denzel2009: ask any danfo driver they all think zebra crossing is a tom tom advert.
Hahahahahahahah... lWMMC.... Lwkmd... Lol.... My ribs Oh

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Check If Your Seat Belts Are Properly Working / How Gazzuzz charged me / SCAM ALERT: Honda 2005 Engine Swapped For Crv Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.