Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,977 members, 7,814,332 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards (958 Views)

Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing / E-book Cover & Banners Designing For Free [nairaland Users Only] / Please Assist Me In Designing My Personal Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards by BizBooks(m): 12:01pm On Mar 22, 2012
In one of the numerous threads discussing the new NL, the responses were
generally positive. So somebody asked "Where are all the people that were
complaining about the new NL?". What that person failed to understand is
that Darwin's principles of natural selection has now taken over. By that
I mean: those who are happy with the new NL are here enjoying it while those
who are not have either gone elsewhere or stopped participating actively.

In designing NL exclusively for mobile phone users, Seun & Co have succeeded
in alienating everybody else. There is no doubt that thousands of people still
visit NL daily. But it is obvious that a substantial percentage of those visitors
have stopped participating actively. They now visit just to read the boards without
contributing anything in the form of replies or new threads.

I remember attending a lecture on the impending introduction of Microsoft.Net in
1999. One of the attendees pointed out a feature he will like to see in the new .Net.
The Microsoft official giving the lecture replied that they have already completed
the project. So nothing can be added until another version is released. While we
accept that the new NL is here to stay, Seun & Co should find a way to make it easier
for PC and Laptop users. If they can spend time making it accessible for users of old
technologies such as WAP, they sure can find a way to make it more user friendly for
users of PCs and Laptops.
Re: In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards by netesy(m): 12:21pm On Mar 22, 2012
the site works ok on pc for me
Re: In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards by BizBooks(m): 12:42pm On Mar 22, 2012
netesy: the site works ok on pc for me

It depends on what you mean by ok. A site designed for mobile phones
cannot be "ok" for PCs. That's why most companies design a separate
site specifically for mobile. Such sites usually have an "m" prefix.
For example m.yahoo.com is the mobile version of Yahoo, while m.google.com
is the mobile version of Google. That was what I expected Seun to do but
he said he didn't want to go that route fearing that mobile users will not
get all the features available in the full version of NL.
Re: In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards by netesy(m): 12:45pm On Mar 22, 2012
hmmmm so thats the main problem well i justed adjusted and iam now loving it.
Re: In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards by BizBooks(m): 1:00pm On Mar 22, 2012
netesy: hmmmm so thats the main problem well i justed adjusted and iam now loving it.

What did you adjust? Explain, let's see if it will apply to others.
Re: In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 22, 2012
Me I tink nairaland has taken a step forward, but just minor issues which are being resolved too.
Kudos to the admin. It is not easy to make changes.
Re: In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards by moderattor: 5:27pm On Mar 22, 2012
if a growing site tries this type of seun's back flip
that will be the end!

1 Like

Re: In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards by yawatide(f): 5:53pm On Mar 22, 2012
1) I am one of those who used to visit NL at least 2ce an hour, 8 hours each day and participate actively on the webmaster board, going back at least 3 years. I say "used to" because since the launch of the new NL, I only visit at most 3ce a day and for the most part (95% of the time) stick to the post listings

2) I have viewed the site on my tablet and it is actually looking good but on my laptop, it is very dizzying to me. I am mostly on my laptop and consider typing out a lengthy response via a mobile device as cumbersome. Moreover, I am not going to switch to my tablet just for NL.

3) It would be interesting to see the stats for NL, with respect to google adwords, since the launch of the new NL. I don't make a dime frm it and wish NL well revenue-wise but I have this hunch that both traffic and revenue has probably taken a little dip

4) I am currently working on projects at work with both a mobile and desktop experience. we are well aware of the stat that claims tht come 2014, there will be more mobile than desktop users and tht we have to code first for mobile users but that doesn't mean we throw away the baby with the bath water - we maintain two versions with each persona getting the version of the site tailored towards what they are using. IMHO, creating a site solely with one target audience in mind may prove suicidal. Let's not forget, the competition is watching
Re: In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards by Nobody: 6:27pm On Mar 22, 2012
moderattor: if a growing site tries this type of seun's back flip
that will be the end!
Na true you talk o. Well, if this backflip is not corrected on time, traffick will drop considerably. . .
Re: In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards by denzel2009: 6:31pm On Mar 22, 2012
*dhtml:
Me I tink nairaland has taken a step forward, but just minor issues which are being resolved too.
Kudos to the admin. It is not easy to make changes.

How much did he pay you for this PR?
Re: In Designing For The Future, Nairaland Takes A Big Step Backwards by Nobody: 8:30pm On Mar 22, 2012
Nay, he did not pay me for PR, but i realize that it is not an easy task to do these stuffs from the scratch.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Check Out A New Outsourcing Marketplace, Infinitbin.com / You think you're a baddass when it comes to web design? think again / GLO Magic Sim Is Back Browse For 36months With Just #100

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.