Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,828 members, 7,824,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? (68562 Views)

Married Guys; How Did You Cope During Your First Year In Marriage? / 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage / What's The Cost Of Marriage Certificates And Courthouse Marriages In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by JennyAgun(f): 10:57am On Mar 23, 2012
We were leaving in different towns because of our jobs.
Was romantic whenever we have time to be toghether, then baby came, then mother-in-law trouble (hubby's mum). The phrase "I love you" didn't come from any of us.

Now we are learning to build our marriage and keep 3rd parties (family included) at a SAFE distance... but it is hard because, here in Naija, the Man's family beleive that they bought the wife and they should treat her like a tool for thier use whenever they want.

3 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by SeunAero(m): 10:59am On Mar 23, 2012
1st year; more like a jambite who just gained admission into University.

3 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 11:04am On Mar 23, 2012
@ shiloh, dis ur hubby ask u to resign/ or u did it willingly? i don think like d idea of my wife, just siting down at home. married guys say something ooooooo
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 11:05am On Mar 23, 2012
Miss_Ife: I also had a guy who was after me and kind of proposed more or less at the same time as my hubby

[flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na_pwx3jUBs[/flash]

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 23, 2012
Is there an ideal age for marriage?
Is 30 perfect, or must one wait until 35 or so? I mean for guys.
Most of the young girls ive dated are more obsessed about the maker of the wedding ring they wanted, and the car gift they would use once the agreement is signed and sealed, rather than the real thing.
The so-called level of immaturity exuded scared the shit out of me. But, they all seem to love me. Especially the one I got now. Its marriage marriage marriage.
Cant even breath any more!
I somehow think maturity makes marriage work.

Phew: Did I just unload this grin

@OP and contributors: God bless y'all. The idea of marriage always seem to scare the Bejesus out of me. For once, im seeing hope....

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Jemibee: 11:17am On Mar 23, 2012
My 1st year was great with little or no quarrels(none that i can remember). Also got pregnant immediately after my wedding so things were really going as planned. Mom in law came in 2wks b4 i gave birth and her son had bought her a 4mths ticket(without informing me of the period). Even when i got to know, i didn't think it was too long a time to stay with us(even if i did, she was already with us). Did i mention we live outside 9ja and it was her 1st time travelling abroad. She came and was initially very nice only for her to also interrupt when we're discussing, wanting to know what/who we're talking about.

The most painful part came after i gave birth. They started talking about some type of sacrificial food i must eat because they are from a royal family(royal family without a palace/people)!! Guys, i almost lost it. The food had thais serious smell and was cooked without maggi/salt. She also said i musn't eat anyother thg for 1week. I suffered!! As a new mom(my mom had passed a yr before and my siblings all live in the US), it was really tough on me. I'd cry all day and she began acting funny because i objected to eating her concortion.

My hubby is the very loving type but unfortunately has never stood up to defend me in my presence. I stood my ground on this issue.

She later left 4mths later. 8mths later, his younger brother came to live with us. He's been here for 6mths now and after him i'm sure, another would be coming. Still,at the slightest quarrel, he claims it's my fault and starts calling all my siblings. In short, this 2nd yr is the worst. We used to be really close but i don't know what's been happening to us.

I'm fed up but what can i do? I'm not willing to leave cos i love him and i just must work towards the success of our mariage but i must admit, i'm no longer a happy person. If i had the ressources too, maybe i'd be a happier person.

In short, just for u all to knw that to every mariage, it's challenges. None is as perfect as it appears.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 11:18am On Mar 23, 2012
Jenny Agun: here in Naija, the Man's family beleive that they bought the wife and they should treat her like a tool for thier use whenever they want.

I think the husband should have a brain to tell them to piss off.

Tradition/culture my arse.

I dare anybody to come and try that shyt with me.

Jemibee:
The most painful part came after i gave birth. They started talking about some type of sacrificial food i must eat because they are from a royal family(royal family without a palace/people)!! Guys, i almost lost it. The food had thais serious smell and was cooked without maggi/salt. She also said i musn't eat anyother thg for 1week. I suffered!! As a new mom(my mom had passed a yr before and my siblings all live in the US), it was really tough on me. I'd cry all day and she began acting funny because i objected to eating her concortion.

My hubby is the very loving type but unfortunately has never stood up to defend me in my presence. I stood my ground on this issue.

[Shakes head]

Na tradition dem dey follow na. undecided

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by AngelicM: 11:24am On Mar 23, 2012
I got married 4months ago and guys 4 d first few mnths,i tot i had married d wrong person.we had arguements every nw and then,it took great patience on my part 2 get along bt nw i can say we understand ourselves better and am glad dat i didnt marry d wrong person afterall.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 23, 2012
hmmm, i'm learning.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by ugosly(m): 11:27am On Mar 23, 2012
Now you ladies are scaring me,I am a very 'lady hygiene' conscious person,I believe a woman should look,smell and even taste good all the time and so far,the longest duration i have co-habited with a lady is one week,after which I start getting restless and touchy,and now just thinking about the fact that these realities await you in the EARLY stage of marriage is scaring the crap out of me.
All the same keep it coming, guess i could learn a thing or two about patience and perseverance.

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by snthesis(m): 11:27am On Mar 23, 2012
interesting topic- doesnt apply to me- havnt even had a one year "serious" relationship tongue
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Jarus(m): 11:30am On Mar 23, 2012
Hmmmnnn, On January 2nd this year, Mr and Mrs Jarus marked their 1 year anniversary.

First one year was full of mixed feelings. First, our courtship was quite short, and add to that the fact that we were not living together in our first 6 months(she was in the middle of her NYSC when we did the Nikka, so had to go back to her state of posting) so she didnt really know me that much. So she spent few months getting to know me better. I wasn't actually as gentle as she thought. lol. But she later understood me more. When she was serving, I used to go visit her on weekends, and some other weekends, she did come to Lagos. The day I went to pick her after she passed out from NYSC was perhaps our happiest day.

Even with its lows, marriage is still very interesting and I realized I underrated it before. You have someone you share your problems with, things you can't tell your friends.
I wasn't exactly selective in foods before, but with a great cook as wife, I have become so used to great delicacies that I have begun to criticize (others') foods. lol

Add to that the jokes and pranks at home. Since I married, I have been closing timely (5pm) and dont go to work on weekends again.

Of course, there are low sides, very lowlights, but I wont mention that in public forum here. lol

She used to seriously complain about my NL addiction in our early months, including seizing my phones at times, but ever since I inducted here into NL, she is probably more present on NL(as unregistered guest, usually visiting family, health and sometimes politics) than me in the last few months. lol

But altogether, marriage is fantastic; of course, if you meet a great partner. We both learned a lot in the first year.

20 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 11:34am On Mar 23, 2012
davidylan: threads like this are good for those of us on the sidelines. The only reason i havent married now is because of paralyzing fear . . . fear that i might make a mistake, fear that she may not be the one, that i may stop loving her after a few yrs.
I have learnt in the last couple of yrs that indeed no woman is perfect, that the type of woman we envision in our heads exists only in the realm of fantasy, that loving someone is not so much a feeling as it is a conscious decision, that you know you truly love a woman when she has the ability to change your outlook on life and you find yourself developing an uncommon patience for her many flaws, that communication is even more essential to a marriage than s[i]e[/i]x! shocked

So in the interest of my mother's emotional stability, i have decided to be married in the next 18 months max. grin

Personally, I would not say I have a fear of marriage. I would rather say, I am comfortable being single.

I would do whatever I need to do to make sure my life is a happy one. And I will only change the current status if I see a woman that makes me judge being with her would make me happier than being single. Not because culture/society expects me to be married at a certain age or a girl I am seeing is desperate to get married.

Just saw US CBS news yesterday, only 49% of marriages survive beyond 20 years.

I would not waste my youth and be in my 40s wondering how I can get it back. I shall be a happy person for majority of the rest of my life, no compromising that. No plans to quarrel consistently or compromise on my lifestyle because of some silly vows. If I married someone, I am sure they would not be perfect, but hell, they have to be well-rounded and worthy of marriage based on personality, attraction and compatibility. Otherwise, for me, there is no point or sense in getting married when being single can give me happiness.

12 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 11:43am On Mar 23, 2012
marriage don dey hungry me

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by ZUBY77(m): 11:46am On Mar 23, 2012
My first week: I was busy blaming those who didn't attend the marriage ceremony.
Second week: I recalled that we received some envelops from people with money inside all of them.
Then I approached Mrs. Zuby who was in custody of the envelopes for us to check how rich we have become,
only to be told that the job has been done already by her and her mother.
The reason being that they didn't want to stress me by inviting me to count money.cheesy Igbo girls.

Third week: I was busy thinking about the best way to tell Mrs. Zuby to go back to her parents until she puts all the money back to the envelops exactly the way it was.
Fourth week: I devised a plan to make her pay for the petrol for our generator.
She likes electricity so much.
So I would check the generator every morning and each time the petrol was finished,
I would stay outside until 8pm, by then she must have called to remind me what I already know.
I would tell her to drive to the station and buy petrol.
The money from the envelop wass going down fast and she was complaining.

Aside this little envelop adventure, we were happy people

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by asoderock(m): 11:49am On Mar 23, 2012
I ve been married for roughly a year now, and I must admit that it has really been difficult. Although we started dating just before she entered medical schl and hv been seeing once in a while since then: I am based far frm her schl. But suddenly the separation is driving me crazy and the strain is complicating matters for us, to the extent that the marriage is at the brink of collapse. But my wife seem not to understand the toll that the resultant stress has taking on me. Guess she s putting her career first.

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Evagreenfields: 11:51am On Mar 23, 2012
davidylan: threads like this are good for those of us on the sidelines. The only reason i havent married now is because of paralyzing fear . . . fear that i might make a mistake, fear that she may not be the one, that i may stop loving her after a few yrs.
I have learnt in the last couple of yrs that indeed no woman is perfect, that the type of woman we envision in our heads exists only in the realm of fantasy, that loving someone is not so much a feeling as it is a conscious decision, that you know you truly love a woman when she has the ability to change your outlook on life and you find yourself developing an uncommon patience for her many flaws, that communication is even more essential to a marriage than s[i]e[/i]x! shocked

So in the interest of my mother's emotional stability, i have decided to be married in the next 18 months max. grin
Ermm I have also decided to get married in the next 18 months max. . .so how ll it b ;DZ

Ermm I have also decided to get married in the next 18 months max. . .so how ll it b. Hehehe
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by OperaMini1(m): 11:53am On Mar 23, 2012
Jenny Agun: We were leaving in different towns because of our jobs.
Was romantic whenever we have time to be toghether, then baby came, then mother-in-law trouble (hubby's mum). The phrase "I love you" didn't come from any of us.

Now we are learning to build our marriage and keep 3rd parties (family included) at a SAFE distance... but it is hard because, here in Naija, the Man's family beleive that they bought the wife and they should treat her like a tool for thier use whenever they want.

'then mother-in-law trouble (hubby's mum)'. Why would it be only Hubby's mum that makes trouble?

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by brainpulse: 11:55am On Mar 23, 2012
ZUBY77: My first one week, i was busy blaming those who didn't attend the marriage ceremony.
Then the second week, i recalled that we recieved some envelops from people with money inside all of them. Then i approached mrs zuby who was in custody of the envelopes for us to check how rich we have beçome only to be told that the job has been done already by her and her mother. The reason being that they didnt want to stress me by inviting me to count money.cheesy igbo girls.

Third week, i was busy thinking about the best way to tell mrs zuby to go back to her parents until she puts all the money back to the envelops exactly the way it was.
Fourth week, i devised a plan to make her pay for the petrol for our generator. She likes electricity so much. So i will check the generator every morning and each time the petrol is finished, i will stay outside until 8am, by then she must have called to remind me what i already knew. And i will tell her to drive to the station and buy petrol. Now the money from the envelop is going down fast and she is complaining.

Aside this little envelop adventure, we are happy people.

I love your diary die, please post more this is the best thing i am reading todayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. grin grin grin grin
You should write a novel on this i am not joking at all

3 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by sentix(m): 11:57am On Mar 23, 2012
My first year of marriage was lovely, my eating habit changed a bit. From white garri to yellow, from mostly yoruba soups to ibo ones, rice washing, etc.

Having sex continously, the happinness when she missed her period. The sadness when she miscarried. It was a whirlwind thing. Not having your own space anymore.

No more constant clubbing and hanging out. Except fridays once a month. Reduced alchohol consumption.

Now five years in with a child it a little different abit relaxed. Added weight and more responsible. You tend to think of them more than yourself.

21 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by obi123: 12:00pm On Mar 23, 2012
ZUBY77: My first one week, i was busy blaming those who didn't attend the marriage ceremony.
Then the second week, i recalled that we recieved some envelops from people with money inside all of them. Then i approached mrs zuby who was in custody of the envelopes for us to check how rich we have beçome only to be told that the job has been done already by her and her mother. The reason being that they didnt want to stress me by inviting me to count money.cheesy igbo girls.

Third week, i was busy thinking about the best way to tell mrs zuby to go back to her parents until she puts all the money back to the envelops exactly the way it was.
Fourth week, i devised a plan to make her pay for the petrol for our generator. She likes electricity so much. So i will check the generator every morning and each time the petrol is finished, i will stay outside until 8am, by then she must have called to remind me what i already knew. And i will tell her to drive to the station and buy petrol. Now the money from the envelop is going down fast and she is complaining.

Aside this little envelop adventure, we are happy people.

honestly you must be a character to be with, a funny one, mrs Zuby is lucky

3 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Mar 23, 2012
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by OperaMini1(m): 12:02pm On Mar 23, 2012
Mine has been fun all the way. I'll be 3 yrs in marriage by Oct., never had any regret marrying my wife.

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by cantell(m): 12:11pm On Mar 23, 2012
Evagreenfields:
Ermm I have also decided to get married in the next 18 months max. . .so how ll it b ;DZ
Ermm I have also decided to get married in the next 18 months max. . .so how ll it b. Hehehe
See as you take style dey enter the guy.
@topic,
I'm not married yet but when i do, it's gonna be cool the first year and ever after.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by kokomuolo: 12:12pm On Mar 23, 2012
hmmmmm smileya lot to remember. mine was not fun at all partly becos we courted 'from far away'. he was in Abuja and i was in Lagos and i never visited him until we got married! so you can imagine the process of having to learn him. While i am a very independent minded, he is liked a docile woman; he liked outing, i was on the homeside. To make matters worse,his business took him away most of the time. So it was a case of learning each other afresh each time he is around. During the period i was like o[b]h gosh if this is marriage to hell with it. [/b. We argued and quarreled a lot. However, things gradually improved when i got pregnant and got better when i had our first baby girl. In fact i was really surprised at the role he played when during the period of delivery and its associated complications. He was by my side all through, saw him cry and pray dat i live. He refused to leave my side for the whole 2weeks at the hospital, barely eating. When baby and i arrived home dat was when love nwa tin tin started. He cared for baby like i ve never seen, changed pampers at night, carried baby when at home. Now both of us have matured in marriage and now am like gosh if this is what marriage is all about then am happy to be in. I learnt a lot in that first year and grew in a different way. Now each of us have come to realize that we ve been loved by the best and would not wish to settle for less

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by cyntlating(f): 12:14pm On Mar 23, 2012
enjoying dis thread,am not married hopefully soonest sha kudos to all u dere.............
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Mar 23, 2012
nnamen, any single nairalander, let do this this this easter, dis married people, have put me in the mood. mariage mood activated

6 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Dyt(f): 12:17pm On Mar 23, 2012
sighs

marriage!!!
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Mar 23, 2012
you see...why am scared of this thing called marriage? Av seen like 3 to 4 newlywed couples who fight like hell afta a year or two believe me this is scaring...but I think short courtship cause all these wahala of marriage cos both parties dont know each other well. 2years minimum serious courtship should be done before any marriage at least by then both of you would have known each other well at least. For me this is my third year in my courtship and i have been setting traps for her in different ways just to know who she really is, and to knw hw to handle things if things goes wrong in our marriage. I think she's okey for me sha...and i dont think i ll change her...kudos to u all

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Dyt(f): 12:39pm On Mar 23, 2012
Timmmy: you see...why am scared of this thing called marriage? Av seen like 3 to 4 newlywed couples who fight like hell afta a year or two believe me this is scaring...but I think short courtship cause all these wahala of marriage cos both parties dont know each other well. 2years minimum serious courtship should be done before any marriage at least by then both of you would have known each other well at least. For me this is my third year in my courtship and [size=38pt]i have been setting traps for her in different ways[/size] just to know who she really is and to knw hw to handle things if things goes wrong in our marriage. I think she's okey for me sha...and i dont think i change her...kudos to u all

shocked shocked shocked shocked

4 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 23, 2012
@dyt
is it wrong? Just want to knw what could tear us apart. Notin more

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by neneo(m): 12:47pm On Mar 23, 2012
my first year of marriage was interesting cuz i really learnt a lot....we dated for 6 years b4 we got married (actually graduted from d same class in d uni)...but reality dawned after d honeymoon and we were back home...i realised that there is a difference btw she coming over 4 d weekend and staying wiv me 4eva...honestly there were times i felt i could ask her to go to their house for some weeks!...we argued and make up wiv s3x...it was fun all d same...we thought we new everything about each other, but d first year thot us we still have so many things 2 learn about ourselves....but we overcame it becos we were good friends...there was this particular night we woke up and argued on so many things ranging from our finances down to the socks!..we ended up drafting a constitution 4 d union!...nd we resolved that we should dialogue always no matter what...it is still working 4 us...we have a son now nd we haven't had cause to settle any issue out of our home or selves....

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Pastor Joshua Ajagunigbala Divorces Wife As Herbalist Dies On Top Of Her / PHOTO: What Would You Do If Your Child Returns From School Like This? / Rwandan Dad Calls His Deformed Baby 'Devil Spawn', Tells Wife To Kill Him (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.