Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,721 members, 7,809,736 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? - Family (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? (68484 Views)

Married Guys; How Did You Cope During Your First Year In Marriage? / 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage / What's The Cost Of Marriage Certificates And Courthouse Marriages In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Winter4: 6:03pm On Sep 19, 2018
baldman:
I remember reading this thread during those years when I was to waiting to get married. So it is give back time. The first year of our marriage was a joyful one and full of blessings too. We went on honeymoon (Dubai) came back and I was able to buy a car for my wife. I also got assigned to a more favourable role at work. We conceived after exactly a month and we had sex almost every day of the pregnancy, until she had to travel to have the baby and we resumed as soon as I was able to join them up till the day before the baby was delivered. We were celibate until the wedding so this was so fulfilling. God blessed us with a bouncing baby boy and we have been back to love making since 13weeks after the baby. Our relationship has gotten better, we communicate well and neither of us has difficulty saying sorry. I do not want my wife to get mad and she avoids getting me mad too. To someone else, my wife may be such an incompetent wife and to another woman, I may be too finicky for a man but we have been ok with each other. She is fast settling down to the wife role and we are completely opened to each other about everything. God indeed answers prayers. I thank God I did not make the mistake of letting her go and I am trusting God to continue to help us.

Awwwwwww....so sweet. May God continue to bless your marriage ehn. There are always always blessings attached to obedience o.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by id4sho(m): 7:59am On Sep 20, 2018
single at moment, but hoping to have a great married home .

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by StrongWoman333(f): 7:53pm On Oct 01, 2018
Wow really learning a lot. smiley
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Laadeh(f): 10:01pm On Jan 02, 2019
Sagamite:

Men! Thank fcking God that I still STRICTLY live by this mantra. cool

I was hoping to read your experience in your first year of marriage grin grin
Give love a chance joor tongue
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 23, 2019
teewhysafe:
Such a lovely thread. Thanks to all who shared. I learnt three major lessons: Patience, Perseverance & Prayer helps. Been so scared of marriage but due to societal pressure and expectations, I was almost about to just settle for the sake of being married. After reading all these, I choose to wait for God's will and I hope to share my story here soon.

Its been 2 years now. Any news?

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Raalsalghul: 9:52am On Jan 23, 2019
Typical of people to hype marriage.

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Raalsalghul: 9:56am On Jan 23, 2019
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Raalsalghul: 10:06am On Jan 23, 2019
Sagamite:

Personally, I would not say I have a fear of marriage. I would rather say, I am comfortable being single.

I would do whatever I need to do to make sure my life is a happy one. And I will only change the current status if I see a woman that makes me judge being with her would make me happier than being single. Not because culture/society expects me to be married at a certain age or a girl I am seeing is desperate to get married.

Just saw US CBS news yesterday, only 49% of marriages survive beyond 20 years.

I would not waste my youth and be in my 40s wondering how I can get it back. I shall be a happy person for majority of the rest of my life, no compromising that. No plans to quarrel consistently or compromise on my lifestyle because of some silly vows. If I married someone, I am sure they would not be perfect, but hell, they have to be well-rounded and worthy of marriage based on personality, attraction and compatibility. Otherwise, for me, there is no point or sense in getting married when being single can give me happiness.
Word.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Raalsalghul: 10:11am On Jan 23, 2019
nkemmu:
God when will You give me 'the first year of ma marriage story to tell'? with all these stories, i just fell like getting married.woow!!
undecided undecided
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by bryanarchie: 10:54am On Jan 23, 2019
My first year of marriage was horrible and filled with tears...

The marriage was built on a faulty foundation, went ahead against my gut feeling because of pleasing my parents and Society...

Two years down and I walked away because forever is a long time to be unhappy...

I'm done with love, relationships and marriage...

I truly loved him with every fiber of my existence...

Moving forward...

Love and marriage is wonderful with the right person...

4 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jan 23, 2019
bryanarchie:
My first year of marriage was horrible and filled with tears...

The marriage was built on a faulty foundation, went ahead against my gut feeling because of pleasing my parents and Society...

Two years down and I walked away because forever is a long time to be unhappy...

I'm done with love, relationships and marriage...

I truly loved him with every fiber of my existence...

Moving forward...

Love and marriage is wonderful with the right person...

Would you love to share dear, strictly at your jurisdiction, exactly what went wrong.

I feel there will be something important to learn from you most especially for some of us who have that 'gut feeling' for our intended spouse.

Thanks

@ ur last sentence; I like how you still believe in love and marriage despite the odds.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by bryanarchie: 9:07pm On Jan 23, 2019
bobobooge:

Would you love to share dear, strictly at your jurisdiction, exactly what went wrong.

I feel there will be something important to learn from you most especially for some of us who have that 'gut feeling' for our intended spouse.

Thanks

@ ur last sentence; I like how you still believe in love and marriage despite the odds.

Yeah... I definitely believe in love and If I can't get true love then let me die alone...

There were a lot of signs, so many but I chose to ignore...

I was the side chick that got pregnant...

7 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Raalsalghul: 6:19pm On Jan 24, 2019
bryanarchie:

Yeah... I definitely believe in love and If I can't get true love then let me die alone...

There were a lot of signs, so many but I chose to ignore...

I was the side chick that got pregnant...
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Ayoolajumoke(f): 7:19pm On Jan 24, 2019
This is a really nice thread. I pray for a happy and fulfilling marriage that my parents never had.

I’d be back in few years to share mine by God’s grace.

3 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by piroux(f): 10:13pm On Jan 24, 2019
baldman:
I remember reading this thread during those years when I was to waiting to get married. So it is give back time. The first year of our marriage was a joyful one and full of blessings too. We went on honeymoon (Dubai) came back and I was able to buy a car for my wife. I also got assigned to a more favourable role at work. We conceived after exactly a month and we had sex almost every day of the pregnancy, until she had to travel to have the baby and we resumed as soon as I was able to join them up till the day before the baby was delivered. We were celibate until the wedding so this was so fulfilling. God blessed us with a bouncing baby boy and we have been back to love making since 13weeks after the baby. Our relationship has gotten better, we communicate well and neither of us has difficulty saying sorry. I do not want my wife to get mad and she avoids getting me mad too. To someone else, my wife may be such an incompetent wife and to another woman, I may be too finicky for a man but we have been ok with each other. She is fast settling down to the wife role and we are completely opened to each other about everything. God indeed answers prayers. I thank God I did not make the mistake of letting her go and I am trusting God to continue to help us.

Wow! More blessings and increase in Jesus name!

I tap grace for an excellent marriage.

3 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by zakir007(m): 10:40pm On May 29, 2019
Hopefully by 2020 I will get married and by 2021 I'll share my own story

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by febby419(m): 2:24pm On Jul 05, 2019
How do u know he/she is the one. Am at a cross road right now. Met her when she was 17, dated for 4 years, so many ups n downs. Later she became controlling, commanding, speaks anyhow while angry n authoritative, tried to keep it up but later let go. Stayed apart and alone for 2 years, traveled actually. Came back, saw her after church one Sunday, reunited, got talking, apologized for her behaviour blaming it on peer pressure n youthful exorbitant. Continued n now 4 months down d line, its been blissful, peaceful n fantastic. Thinking of settling down but scared if those things will come back after marriage, have been having double thought. Don't know which route to take

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Juliearth(f): 5:51am On Jul 06, 2019
Jarus:
Hmmmnnn, On January 2nd this year, Mr and Mrs Jarus marked their 1 year anniversary.

First one year was full of mixed feelings. First, our courtship was quite short, and add to that the fact that we were not living together in our first 6 months(she was in the middle of her NYSC when we did the Nikka, so had to go back to her state of posting) so she didnt really know me that much. So she spent few months getting to know me better. I wasn't actually as gentle as she thought. lol. But she later understood me more. When she was serving, I used to go visit her on weekends, and some other weekends, she did come to Lagos. The day I went to pick her after she passed out from NYSC was perhaps our happiest day.

Even with its lows, marriage is still very interesting and I realized I underrated it before. You have someone you share your problems with, things you can't tell your friends.
I wasn't exactly selective in foods before, but with a great cook as wife, I have become so used to great delicacies that I have begun to criticize (others') foods. lol

Add to that the jokes and pranks at home. Since I married, I have been closing timely (5pm) and dont go to work on weekends again.

Of course, there are low sides, very lowlights, but I wont mention that in public forum here. lol

She used to seriously complain about my NL addiction in our early months, including seizing my phones at times, but ever since I inducted here into NL, she is probably more present on NL(as unregistered guest, usually visiting family, health and sometimes politics) than me in the last few months. lol

But altogether, marriage is fantastic; of course, if you meet a great partner. We both learned a lot in the first year.

Wow! I love this sir. I wish you more marital bliss and comfort.

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by BungeeJumping: 5:37pm On Nov 18, 2019
Busybody2:
Twas just another box to tick on my "to do" list. Asides from the big responsibilities that mostly falls on the woman (juggling with dealing with the man-child and the children and trying to remember one also has a life), its no big deal, phew.

Now where is that list to review and get myself ready for what is next - bungeejumping cool
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Hamachi(f): 11:05am On Nov 19, 2019
tongue
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Baldwretch: 12:59pm On Nov 19, 2019
baldman:
my

Congratulations boss. grin grin grin grin

Sometimes back you put an ad for a wife (checked your profile) and I just want to ask; did you meet your wife in real life or through that Nairaland.com ad on your profile or through some other place online haha?

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by MrHighSea: 5:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
baldman:

Honeymoon...Dubai
My guess, ur a young guy.o

BALDman. But ur money carry afro.

Chairman, I LOYA.ooo
Wen i grow up i want to b like u.o

I love your writeup.

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by ddaammyy(f): 12:45pm On Nov 22, 2019
Read this from the first to the last page and all I can is that I’m hoping to share my own experience soon. kiss

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Vickygee(f): 2:07am On Apr 13, 2021
I read all the comments here from A to Z and I'm really excited to learn that it gets better. By God's grace, latest by 2023, I'm coming here to share my own testimony of my first year in marriage.

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Ishilove: 1:12pm On Apr 13, 2021
baldman:
Beautiful story
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:39am On Apr 14, 2021
serubawon:
I truly don't understand why I never find the wonderful threads like this one before they're a dozen pages into the game. Well, I guess it's better late than never.

Marriage is a beautiful thing and was created to last a lifetime. Unfortunately, a lot of people (young and old) tend to look forward to a romantic love story, which usually never happens. Put bluntly, marriage is like going to university or college. You strive to get into it. You enter it with a lot of awe and expectations and then reality sets in. If you don't study, you can't pass. The more effort you put into studying your course materials, the more prepared you are for the exams that definitely show up. Marriage is the same. You study, understand, adapt and it becomes more and more easier to relate with this person that you plan to spend the rest of your life with.

My 1st year of marriage wasn't perfect, but I wasn't expecting it to be so. She was beautiful, educated, independent and extremely smart. We courted for 3 years before we got married (that doesn't mean I'm endorsing long courtships). However, for the 1st time in my life, I made up my mind not to have s3x with my partner and it really helped us get to know each other without s3x being a big distraction. When we got married, I was so terrified that we might not be compatible s3xually because she was a virgin and I was the worst of the worst who had done almost everything under the sun. It was never a problem. We were made for each other and s3x was awesome. Most importantly, we were friends and could talk about anything. This helped us in averting the usual relationship strains because we could talk about them and iron things out. Being patient is maybe the most important part of a marriage, because no one is perfect. The 1st year was good, the 2nd year was better, the 3rd and 4th years were great and the 5th year was awesome. I'm pretty sure the 6th and remaining years would have been blissful, but unfortunately, she passed on to glory during the 6th year after a brief illness and the fairy tale came to an abrupt end. That was in 2004

I kind of lost all motivation for relationships after that. I have 2 wonderful kids from her and they are my soul and joy....the reason I live. I have a thread that details my experiences as a widower - https://www.nairaland.com/20511/adjusting-life-widower. I've also contributed on various threads on how wonderful my marriage was (https://www.nairaland.com/2598/tell-us-marriage/20).

Now, here I am...9 years later and I've finally found the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. She's a survivor of a bad marriage and really messed up divorce. I guess God needed me to experience what a wonderful marriage can be like and then brought me in contact with a woman who never experienced one. She's like a wounded lion that has to be patiently brought back to recovery and I'm blessed to be the one to show her that happy marriages truly exist. The patience I've gained all through these years serves me so well now and we will be married early next year. I never thought that I would even feel love for another woman, but here I am 9 years later (a pretty long time to be prepared don't you think?).

All things work together for good, to them that love God and are called according to His purpose. I truly believe that and I've been given a second chance and I want to prove the pessimists wrong. Miracles can happen twice and you can actually have a wonderful marriage - twice in a row.

It takes a lot of patience and a lot of understanding (and love makes it a lot sweeter). I pray we all experience the joy of marriage.

I know this thread is from almost 9 years ago, but I just stumbled on it. I literally screamed when I read about the death of your first wife.

Did you marry the second lady, and how's it been so far?

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:02am On Apr 14, 2021
Ishilove:

Beautiful story

Ishi, you were the one that resurrected this thread o! cheesy grin Followed it from my shared posts only to realise it was a thread from 2012!

But it's been a great read! Been reading it since yesterday, from the start to the end! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Nasarawa: Man Commits Suicide, Wife Reveals Their Child Was Fathered By Stranger / Pastor Joshua Ajagunigbala Divorces Wife As Herbalist Dies On Top Of Her / My 1st Daughter Saw Her 1st Period Today & She’s Been Crying All Day - Doctor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.