Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,916 members, 7,817,687 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. (4874 Views)

Nicolas Sarkozy Concedes Defeat To Francois Hollande In French Pres. Election / Senegal Elections: Macky Sall Leads Over Incombent Abdoulaye WADE / Thousands In Senegal Protest As Court Grant Wade Right To Seek 3rd Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by ochukoccna: 11:21pm On Mar 25, 2012
Senegal's President Abdoulaye Wade admits defeat in a run-off election to his rival Macky Sall. All major news networks are reporting this story.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2012/03/2012325215047179839.html

1 Like

Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by ochukoccna: 11:31pm On Mar 25, 2012
News like this shows all hope is not lost for African democracy.
Also that old man Wade didn't use the state apparatus to rig. He must be commended for this.
Hope the PDP & ACN rigging machines [especially PDP] are imbibing this.
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by Afam4eva(m): 11:33pm On Mar 25, 2012
This man is not totally bad afterall. This kind of action from an African leader is commendable.
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by ochukoccna: 11:51pm On Mar 25, 2012
afam4eva: This man is not totally bad afterall. This kind of action from an African leader is commendable.

Exactly. like a commentator said, though he lost the election, he won the moral victory seeing he called Macky Sall to congratulate him thus conceding defeat.
Which major Nigerian presidential aspirant has called the winner to concede defeat or congratulate the winner since 1999?
Rather the lawyers make a killing at the electoral petition tribunals.
Shows 9ja has a lot of growing up and learning to do.
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by ochukoccna: 12:22am On Mar 26, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^
if I may add, i recall reading an interview in a newspaper with a lawyer sometime back. cant recall his [lawyer's] name but recall him saying he went law book shopping in Britain some time back and was told the bookshop [which was a top notch one] has no book on election tribunal cases as such [election tribunals] was alien to British politics. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
If we cast our mind back, we recall Al Gore conceding defeat to George Bush in 2000 even though Florida had a lot of issues not allocating legitimate votes to him.
9ja must grow up or we blow up.

1 Like

Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by gbogboti: 12:51am On Mar 26, 2012
Its very true that Nigerian's have short-memory disease. @ all, Wade only gave in simply because of what recently happened in Mali. QUED! If he was that nice, why did he go for a 3rd term in the first place? Honestly I sense a lot of common sense coming to African leaders courtesy of Mali's coup. Even Jona sef dey try behave now. Pikin wey say him no dey fear, when him see fear, him go fear fear.

1 Like

Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by strangest(m): 1:29am On Mar 26, 2012
gbogboti: Its very true that Nigerian's have short-memory disease. @ all, Wade only gave in simply because of what recently happened in Mali. QUED! If he was that nice, why did he go for a 3rd term in the first place? Honestly I sense a lot of common sense coming to African leaders courtesy of Mali's coup. Even Jona sef dey try behave now. Pikin wey say him no dey fear, when him see fear, him go fear fear.

Thank you my brother, the man has always wanted to go for another term and was never ready to surrender power... You guys should stop praising him like he was some saints, He was just afraid of history repeating itself like in Mali and most especially like what happened to GBAGBO.
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by Nobody: 2:01am On Mar 26, 2012
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by bakila: 2:08am On Mar 26, 2012
Wade, by putting himself up fora 3rd term instead of stepping far away from the presidential ticket, has written his name in the book of same for sit tight African Heads of State.
That he contested that elections at all, at 82 was a big shame.
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by lagcity(m): 4:46am On Mar 26, 2012
Are you sick of tribalists talking trash on NL?

Do you live in Washington DC area?

Would you like to confront an Igbo man or Yoruba man live?

Show your interest at ohafiawardance@yahoo.com

We can set it up.
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by egift(m): 5:40am On Mar 26, 2012
Good

President Abdoulaye Wade
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by Nobody: 5:48am On Mar 26, 2012
egift: Good

President Abdoulaye Wade

No wonder AU abi UN ni sent Obj there to rig this baboon out of office.
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by Nwogbe: 6:32am On Mar 26, 2012
Wade is close to his grave I wonder when he should have had 8years to run that country,Kudos to Youssou Ndour and the other oppositions 4 coming together and kicking out the old man from office who was grooming his son to take over power. DISGUSTING PAPA
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by hollandis(f): 6:44am On Mar 26, 2012
So obasanjo's presence in the country was sa waste of resources.Useless he-goat and monkey
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by begwong: 7:06am On Mar 26, 2012
do or die african politics;he can now die in peace!
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by Tropilo(m): 7:22am On Mar 26, 2012
Obasanjo's presence was not a waste of time and money. It was good he went there. I remember Obasanjo saying he told Pa Wade to beware of sycophants asking him to stay on. He also told him to take a good look at d protests and protesters, then choose what legacy he will want to leave behind. Now, when AU sends an old man to another old man, grey hairs will recognise one another and behave.
Wade could hv as well ignored d counselling and damn d consequences for his selfish interest, but he did not. Kudos to him!
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by Nobody: 8:12am On Mar 26, 2012
Truly there is hope, people like OBJ will be surprised at the development-enemies of democracy
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by emsquare(m): 8:13am On Mar 26, 2012
Dats Great!
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by twinstaiye(m): 8:15am On Mar 26, 2012
I think Wade should still be praised for conceding defeat. Agreed he amended the constitution for the 3rd term, like all other leaders, he might have been misguided to think the people want him there forever. And when the people had spoken, he listen to their yearning, believing that, they prefer the other candidates. If he had the intention of sit tight, dont you guys think he would have perfected his plans and even have several back up plan if one plan failed like his other sit tight African leaders?
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by elampiro(m): 8:27am On Mar 26, 2012
This is good.
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by Baawaa(m): 9:09am On Mar 26, 2012
afam4eva: This man is not totally bad afterall. This kind of action from an African leader is commendable.

The fact is that the people of that nation has tired of the man,and what gave the masses the victory was he impose third terms on them.That would have be the same thing that will happened to Obasanjo in 2007.But Obasanjo used diplomacy instead of incumbent power!
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by ochukoccna: 9:13am On Mar 26, 2012
@ gbogboti and strangest, I doubt the coup in Mali played a part seeing both countries are different case scenarios.
Also know that Senegal is only West African country yet to see a coup.
In how many African countries does the incumbent call up his challenger before the results are officially announced to concede defeat ?
We this mainly in the Occidental world.
Old man wade has his faults but lets cut him some slack and applaud him on this.
It shows Senegal is not a basket case democracy like 'giant of Africa[ undecided undecided undecided undecided]' Nigeria. wink
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by SIRNIMS(m): 9:37am On Mar 26, 2012
grin grin grin
Hhahahah, the old man no wan die in the hands of military men.
This is good for democracy. Thank God for the coup de tat at Niger, Mali and the Arab spring
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by Baawaa(m): 9:37am On Mar 26, 2012
ochukoccna: @ gbogboti and strangest, I doubt the coup in Mali played a part seeing both countries are different case scenarios.
In how many African countries does the incumbent call up his challenger before the results are officially announced to concede defeat ?
Old man wade has his faults but lets cut him some slack and applaud him on this.
It shows Senegal is not a basket case democracy like 'giant of Africa
[ undecided undecided undecided undecided]' Nigeria. wink

Assuming the man step down his party can still win the election
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by Iolo(m): 9:41am On Mar 26, 2012
ochukoccna: ^^^^^^^^^^
if I may add, i recall reading an interview in a newspaper with a lawyer sometime back. cant recall his [lawyer's] name but recall him saying he went law book shopping in Britain some time back and was told the bookshop [which was a top notch one] has no book on election tribunal cases as such [election tribunals] was alien to British politics. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
If we cast our mind back, we recall Al Gore conceding defeat to George Bush in 2000 even though Florida had a lot of issues not allocating legitimate votes to him.
9ja must grow up or we blow up.

The Al Gore and Bush case was settled by the supreme court. He only conceded after.

I think we shouldn't forget the role OBJ played in all this. He probably prevailed on the man to let things slide by not rigging.
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by seunlayi(m): 10:29am On Mar 26, 2012
a good lesson for our political parties especially ACN

1 Like

Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by Adduljermaine(m): 10:41am On Mar 26, 2012
I hope the so called opposition in Nigeria can see the power in Opposition.
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by Rastamann: 10:44am On Mar 26, 2012
He has nothing more to offer and just like many other African leaders he was glamoring for a third term. Good that he lost!
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by BahPulo(f): 8:04pm On Mar 26, 2012
ochukoccna: @ gbogboti and strangest, I doubt the coup in Mali played a part seeing both countries are different case scenarios.
It shows Senegal is not a basket case democracy like 'giant of Africa[ undecided undecided undecided undecided]' Nigeria. wink

You right He has to be applauded but that's how he got in power when Diouf lost in 2000 he handed it to Wade without a fight so Wade has no choice but to do the same. One more thing the people of senegal are the ones to be commanded here for they didn't let politicians manipulate them for political gains. I know some high supporters of Wade were saying that the only reason Macky is winning is because the halpoulards were rallying behind him well now it's clear that Sall won because majority of senegaleses said so.
Re: President Abdoulaye Wade Concedes Defeat In Senegalese Poll. by ifeci: 8:36pm On Mar 26, 2012
I hope PDP is learning a lesson here!

(1) (Reply)

Nelson Mandela Hospitalized For Lung Infection / Hillary Clinton For President / Meet The New Russian Submarine: A Surprise Package For U.S Armed Forces

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.