Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Judge, Lawyer Clash In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge, Lawyer Clash In Lagos (687 Views)

Pictures From Shiites-Army Clash In Zaria, Many Feared Dead / APC And PDP Supporters Clash In Abule Egba, Lagos (photos) / APC & PDP Thugs Clash In Zamfara (Very Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Judge, Lawyer Clash In Lagos by chuks49(m): 3:37pm On Mar 26, 2012
A drama played out in a Lagos high court, sitting in Ikeja, today when a presiding judge, Justice Olubunmi Oyewole and a legal practitioner, Barr Modupe Alakija engaged each other in an altercations over a pending case.

Alakija who was said to be appearing in the case for the first time had fired the first salvo when he pointed at the judge and accused him of having an interest in the case before him.

"Having quoted several relevant authorities including Supreme Court rulings to justify the fact that it is the duty of the court to serve parties in the case with notice of application, your lordship insists that it is the duty of the counsel to do so. Your position so far has demonstrated to me that you have an interest in this case," Alakija said.

That verbal attack was greeted with jeering laughter from Justice Oyewole who wasted no time in upbraiding the lawyer for accusing him of having interest in the case.

"This is the first time you will be showing up since the case started. It is the first time I will be meeting you but I am very disappointed with the way you have conducted yourself so far. You have no right whatsoever to point your finger at a judge. You said you have spent 41 years in the bar, but I'm sorry to say those years have been a waste," Justice Oyewole retaliated.

But Alakija did not take the upbraiding lying low either. He responded by telling the judge that there was nothing wrong with him pointing a finger at him. He  argued that he as a counsel, and as a Nigeria, had a right to register his disaffection whenever he observed something was wrong.

According to the legal practitioner "when the bench stinks, we should not shy away from saying it. The court should learn how to tie its rotten ends. To say that my 41 years in bar has been a waste? I will not take that from you".

Angered further by the response, justice Oyewole threatened that he would order the immediate remand of Barr. Alakija if he uttered any word again.

"Mr. Alakija, I thought you will be civil enough in this case considering the presence of junior members of the bar. But I can assure you that if you utter any singular word again, I will order your immediate remand," Justice Oyewole said.

After a brief silence, Alakija rose up again and told the judge to his face: "My judge,  I can not be shut up. Neither can I be cowed or intimidated. For as long as my words are under the ambit of law, i don't  think you can stop me from talking."

Justice Oyewole however refused to respond to the latter statement. He went ahead to adjourn the case to May 21, 2012 after both parties agreed to the convenience of the chosen date.

Signs that trouble was in the horizon appeared early in the day when the elderly lawyer had insisted that his case be heard before any other case. This was in spite of the appeal of the judge that he had a judgment to deliver in another pending case.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=157990:judge-lawyer-clash-in-lagos-court&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Re: Judge, Lawyer Clash In Lagos by jamace(m): 5:28pm On Mar 26, 2012
Egunje is causing palava here o. Corrupt judges/lawyers.

(1) (Reply)

In Pictures: Smuggling Fuel By Sea In West Africa / Hitler On Jonathan / Bloody 2015 Controversy: CPC Replies Jonathan On Buhari:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.