Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,987 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians (122364 Views)

Tribute To Nigerian Heroes Past / Childhood & Youthful Pictures Of Nigerian Heroes & Celebrities / Youthful And Childhood Pictures Of Nigerian Heroes And Villains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by cgift(m): 7:57pm On Mar 31, 2012
igbo boy: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/sss-parades-seven-suspected-kidnappers-of-arab-businessman/[size=16pt]SSS parades seven yoruba kidnappers of Arab businessman
[/size]

Na wa o..ndi ofe manu don enter the business too...economy in the South west must be bad

Seems Yorubas are your heros which you are acknowledging albeit clandestinely. This thread is all about HEROES and i take your post to mean you adore the Yorubas a great deal cool
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by PhysicsQED(m): 8:14pm On Mar 31, 2012
This thread is basically a fail.
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by cgift(m): 8:49pm On Mar 31, 2012
^^ why if I may ask?
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by PhysicsQED(m): 9:07pm On Mar 31, 2012
He made the thread about Ojukwu in the opening when there was no reason to. The OP's statement "his lack of achievements before and after the civil war, made him ineligible to be a Nigerian hero" defeated the thread before it began. People could also criticize other people he listed in his opening post as heroes as a rebuttal of course, but the point is that he deliberately singled out Ojukwu for criticism in the opening post of the thread.

1 Like

Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by petertosh: 9:30pm On Mar 31, 2012
PhysicsQED: He made the thread about Ojukwu in the opening when there was no reason to. The OP's statement "his lack of achievements before and after the civil war, made him ineligible to be a Nigerian hero" defeated the thread before it began. People could also criticize other people he listed in his opening post as heroes as a rebuttal of course, but the point is that he deliberately singled out Ojukwu for criticism in the opening post of the thread.

Good point. A potentially interesting thread ruined by pettiness.

1 Like

Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by igboboy1(m): 2:41am On Apr 01, 2012
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/n31b-drug-wars-the-suspects-their-cargo-and-ndleas-pains/[size=18pt]N31b DRUG WARS: The suspects, their cargo and NDLEA’s pains

The largest seizure of drugs was also recorded in the South West and South South states. Ondo state had the highest seizure with 55,473.31 kgs, Edo was second with 40,6233 kgs while Delta came third with 26,824.14 kgs. In Oyo state, 15,331.37 kgs was seized while Lagos state emerged fifth with 10,406.1 kgs.

[/size]
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by cgift(m): 10:03am On Apr 02, 2012
PhysicsQED: He made the thread about Ojukwu in the opening when there was no reason to. The OP's statement "his lack of achievements before and after the civil war, made him ineligible to be a Nigerian hero" defeated the thread before it began. People could also criticize other people he listed in his opening post as heroes as a rebuttal of course, but the point is that he deliberately singled out Ojukwu for criticism in the opening post of the thread.

You are correct i guess. Probably, he just wanted to come out clean on why he is not putting Ojokwu in the list since it would be expected that people may ask why he has not included him. He was just being upfront i guess as against the interpretation of any personal bias for the Warlord. I am not holding forte for him, but just 2nd-guessing what perhaps was going on in his mind.

@ Igbo_Boy,

If you are not marriedm i am sure you may end up with a sweet Ekiti babe. They are the best wife materials I tell you. grin Trust me, i know what i am saying. cheesy
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by naptu2: 8:50am On Apr 04, 2012
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by naptu2: 6:13am On Apr 07, 2012
Rashidi Yekini (The Goalsfather)

Rashidi Yekini (born 23 October 1963) is a Nigerian retired footballer who played as a striker.

Yekini was born in Kaduna on October 23rd 1963. He started his career playing for United Nigeria Textile Limited (UNTL) in 1981-1982, before transferring to IICC Shooting Stars (1982-1984) and later Abiola Babes (1984-1987), two of the biggest clubs in the Nigerian league at that time. He was part of the IICC Shooting Stars team that won the national league in 1983. He was also part of the famous Abiola Babes team that got to 4 FA cup finals in a row, winning the cup in 1985.

In 1987 he moved to Africa Sports National in Ivory Coast. He played in the African Club Cup championship several times for Shooting Stars and Africa Sports. He played for Shooting Stars against Zamalek in the 1984 final. A memorable moment for me was when he played for Africa Sport against Iwuanyanwu Nationale in 1988. Iwuanyanwu’s goalkeeper was the legendary Edward Ansah, Ghana’s first choice keeper. Yekini fired one of his famous fierce shots, which lesser goalkeepers would have avoided. Not Ansah though, who actually made the save, but was prostrate on the pitch for almost 10 minutes for his troubles.

In 1990 he moved to Portugal, playing for Vitória de Setúbal, where he experienced his most memorable years. He succeeded Richard Owobokiri as the highest goal scorer in the Portuguese league (1993-1994 season) scoring 34 goals in 32 matches.

Yekini was selected for the Nigerian National team, the Green Eagles (later known as the Super Eagles), for the first time in 1984. He played in five nations cup tournaments, 1984, 1988, 1990, 1992 and 1994. He was the highest goal scorer at the 1992 (4 goals) and 1994 (5 goals) Nations Cup tournaments. He also played for Nigeria at the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, South Korea and the 1994 and 1998 World Cups in the United States and France respectively.

His most prolific years in the national team were probably between 1991 - 1994. In 1993 he played a major role in qualifying Nigeria for the 1994 Nations cup and World Cup tournaments. Nigerians felt assured that win or lose, they would get at least one goal from Rashidi Yekini in any game he played in. He scored 4 goals in Nigeria’s 7-1 demolition of Burkina Faso at the National Stadium in Lagos on July 27 1991 in an African Nations Cup (Senegal ’92) qualifier. The game marked the debut of Finidi George who would become one of Yekini’s most consistent supplier of passes. He scored two goals in Nigeria’s 4-0 demolition of South Africa on October 10th 1992 at the National Stadium in Lagos. Samson Siasia sent a high ball to Yekini who did the impossible by controlling the ball in the air, bringing it down and firing it into the goal. The other two goals were scored by Richard Owobokiri and Samson Siasia. The game marked South Africa’s first competitive match after sanctions were lifted.

Yekini scored the only goal in Nigeria’s 1-0 defeat of Congo at the Stade Municipal, Pointe-Noire, Congo on December 12th 1992. The Eagles were attacked by angry Congolese after the match.

On May 2nd 1993, at the Stade Houphuet Boigny in Abidjan, Yekini scored in Nigeria’s 2-1 defeat at the hands of the Elephants of Ivory Coast. This game had a massive impact on the career of Samson Siasia. Rather than pass to Yekini, who was free, he attempted to score. A furious Clemens Westerhof decided to bench him after that and his replacement, Daniel Amokachi, grabbed his opportunity with both hands. Siasia was also in trouble at his club, Nantes, which didn’t want him to return to Africa for the game (there were no FIFA free days at the time). His replacement at Nantes, Japhet Ndoram, scored while Siasia was away on international duty and couldn’t stop scoring subsequently. Siasia ended up on the bench at both the Super Eagles and Nantes.Yekini also scored 2 goals in the return leg, which Nigeria won by 4-1.

At the African Nations cup in 1994, Yekini scored a wonder goal in the game against Zaire. Sunday Oliseh played a long ball from within Nigeria’s half, Yekini turned and chased the ball, lobbed it over the onrushing Zaire goalkeeper and after the ball had bounced once, headed it into the net. He took the final penalty in the epic game Nigeria vs Ivory Coast (probably the most exciting game of Tunisia ’94), winning the match for Nigeria. He was the first Nigerian to score a goal at the World Cup, when at the 21st minute in the game Bulgaria vs Nigeria at the Cotton Bowl Stadium, Dallas, Texas, Yekini tapped in a cross from Finidi George. Nigeria won the game by 3 goals to nil.

Yekini won the CAF African Player of the Year award (1993) for his exploits with Nigeria and Vitória de Setúbal, the first Nigerian player to win the award. Yekini was just two goals short of equalling the record of the highest goal scorer in Nations Cup history, when Nigeria boycotted the Nations Cup South Africa 1996. Many believe that he would have surpassed the record had Nigeria participated in the Nations Cup. He is currently the third highest goal scorer in Nations Cup history with 13 goals in 5 Nations Cup appearances. Only Laurent Poku (14 goals) and Samuel Eto’o (15 goals) have scored more goals.

Yekini is also the record goalscorer for the Nigerian national team, scoring 37 goals for Nigeria's national side in 58 appearances.

Yekini starred for Nigeria at the France 1998 world cup, but he was a shadow of his former self.

In the 1994 summer, Yekini was bought by Olympiacos FC, but did not get along with teammates and left. His career never really got back on track, not even upon a return to Setúbal, which happened after another unassuming spell, in La Liga with Sporting de Gijón. He successively played with FC Zürich, Club Athlétique Bizertin and Al-Shabab Riyadh, before rejoining Africa Sports. In 2003, at 39, he returned to the Nigerian championship with Julius Berger FC.

In 2005, 41-year old Yekini made a short comeback, moving alongside former national teammate Mobi Oparaku to Gateway FC.

1 Like

Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by naptu2: 6:17am On Apr 07, 2012
Yekini

Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by Nobody: 10:34am On Apr 07, 2012
^^^^^Great footballer!
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by naptu2: 10:53am On Apr 07, 2012
Yeah & very humble.

I was just reading Segun Odegbami's opinion of Yekini (they played together during Segun's last season @ Shooting Stars & Segun was team manager of the Eagles when Yekini was playing). He just wanted to enjoy his football and serve his country. He wasn't in it for the money and wasn't involved in player politics (Gateway Football club is still waiting for him to come and claim his salary from his time with them in 2005!). He wasn't involved in player politics and was even a victim of the "mafia" in the Eagles.
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by Dede1(m): 1:04pm On Apr 07, 2012
@POST

1. My Parents
2. January 15, 1966 Coup plotters
3. Gen. Emeka Ojukwu and Biafran Army
4. Biafran Scientists
5. Chinua Achebe
6. Wola Soyinka (imprisoned due to his opposition to Nigeria’s war against Biafra)
7. Lt Col. Ayo Ariyo (2ic 3MCDO, 1967, resigned his commission from Nigerian army in protest against Nigeria’s war on Biafra)
8. Ijebu Ode Cocoa Farmers Asso. (mounted fierce protest against Gowon’s stay in Lagos to prosecute war on Biafra when other Yoruba were wetting their pants with urine)
9. Agbakoya (revolted against the presence of soldiers from northern region of Nigeria in Yoruba land while persecuting war on Biafra which led to the death of shun of Ogbomosho)
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by naptu2: 1:23pm On Apr 07, 2012
I forgot to add. Something funny happened during the game Nigeria vs Burkina Faso (the game in which Yekini scored 4 goals and Finidi George made his debut). An NFA official forgot the team's shorts at the training camp in Otta. The lapse was only discovered minutes before the game kicked off at the National Stadium Lagos.

Yekini suggested to the NFA that they should cut the track suit trousers with razor blades and use them for the game, rather than forfeiting the tie. The Super Eagles played the first half of that match wearing extra long shorts.
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by ekwynwa: 4:14pm On Apr 07, 2012
Dede1: @POST

1. My Parents
2. January 15, 1966 Coup plotters
3. Gen. Emeka Ojukwu and Biafran Army
4. Biafran Scientists
5. Chinua Achebe
6. Wola Soyinka (imprisoned due to his opposition to Nigeria’s war against Biafra)
7. Lt Col. Ayo Ariyo (2ic 3MCDO, 1967, resigned his commission from Nigerian army in protest against Nigeria’s war on Biafra)
8. Ijebu Ode Cocoa Farmers Asso. (mounted fierce protest against Gowon’s stay in Lagos to prosecute war on Biafra when other Yoruba were wetting their pants with urine)
9. Agbakoya (revolted against the presence of soldiers from northern region of Nigeria in Yoruba land while persecuting war on Biafra which led to the death of shun of Ogbomosho)

True HEROES cool
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by igboboy1(m): 10:37pm On Apr 07, 2012
cgift:

Seems Yorubas are your heros which you are acknowledging albeit clandestinely. This thread is all about HEROES and i take your post to mean you adore the Yorubas a great deal cool

No doubt about that...you are right my son, i mean what is it not to adore about my ofe mmanu peeps? Yoruba Kwenu
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by igboboy1(m): 10:40pm On Apr 07, 2012
cgift:

You are correct i guess. Probably, he just wanted to come out clean on why he is not putting Ojokwu in the list since it would be expected that people may ask why he has not included him. He was just being upfront i guess as against the interpretation of any personal bias for the Warlord. I am not holding forte for him, but just 2nd-guessing what perhaps was going on in his mind.

@ Igbo_Boy,

If you are not marriedm i am sure you may end up with a sweet Ekiti babe. They are the best wife materials I tell you. grin Trust me, i know what i am saying. cheesy

my guy u jam road miss for this your prediction....

Me i like urhobo girls well well and kalabari girls.....I see myself ending up with one Ufoma or elohor sha given my current flinging runz
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by Stephenkayode: 5:53am On Aug 16, 2014
Please, Does anyone knows why some of chief Henry Fajemirokun's businesses actually discontinued after he died?
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by itstpia8: 4:56am On Jan 04, 2016
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by itstpia8: 4:57am On Jan 04, 2016
PhysicsQED:
This thread is basically a fail.

so who would you consider a Nigerian hero?
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by tsdarkside(m): 5:47am On Jan 04, 2016
general buhari,,,the only and true leader of naija......his leading qualities are extraordinär....

our future leaders should learn from buhari how to lead....

thunda fire jonathan!!!
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by DMerciful(m): 7:04am On Jan 04, 2016
Remove Ahmad Bello...he was a sectional leader! He was also part of the people that laid the foundation for northern belligerency and terrorism you see today. He is a founder of terrorism! Azikiwe was myopic as well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by jhubril(m): 9:48am On Jan 04, 2016
Pan-Africanism is the flight to delusion and the fallacy of a new age philosophy!
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 04, 2016
I am surprised Chinua Achebe is missing from the list. If you exclude Ojukwu, then Awo should be excluded too. Azikiwe fits the list very well.
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by Jpanama3: 5:24pm On May 28, 2016
This list is feeble, deficient without a resilient and inspiring writer as Chinua Achebe. .
The only Author whose books are a dependable Time-machine that would teleport you into history and allow you relived it firsthand without any side effects.....
Re: Notable Nigerian Heroes We All Need To Emulate As Nigerians by Cholls(m): 10:29pm On Apr 09, 2022
My brother what Ipob lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kwankwaso's Supporters Burn Their Brooms In Kano After His Defection To PDP / Boko-Haram Leader Abubakar Shekau Killed By JTF In Borno / Thread On The Snipers Of The Nigerian Army (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.