Stats: 3,157,983 members, 7,835,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' (7058 Views)

Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? / Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder / Yoruba Is The Most Popular African Language - Jimmy Wales (2) (3) (4)

Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by abhosts(m): 3:33pm On Mar 28, 2012
tboy1:

Doubt this is real

No, it is not real. 4ms Ping Rates exposed the scam. Only a Ping within an Intranet can give you 4ms.

@Richfella,

Please conduct the test with an European or US based Server.
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by hamsky: 3:33pm On Mar 28, 2012
I'm telling you the only thing that's giving Nigeria bad name is we NIGERIANS.....Yes I'll say it again in caps "ITS WE NIGERIANS". We might not know this but we are developing very rapidly with the advent of Infotech.....if you don't believe this go to other countries like somalia, sudan, bangladesh, zimbabwe and see for ur self.^^^^^^Very Good News Indeed.
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by KINGwax(m): 3:34pm On Mar 28, 2012
kcjazz: I have seen some super fast broadband speeds here in Nigeria very expensive and different from what obtains in the general market
thank you. My cousin from U.K was amazed by roof internet speed last yr december that i thought he was jst trying to sound nice. Biliv me, streaming was jst too good wit some wireless. Watching SPB tv was so easy when i use one 'step B' connecting.
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 28, 2012
tboy1:

Doubt this is real

abhosts:

No, it is not real. 4ms Ping Rates exposed the scam. Only a Ping within an Intranet can give you 4ms.

Lol. Whatever guys. Suit yourselves. You know I have lots of idle time on my hands wink.
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by Vergil: 4:59pm On Mar 28, 2012
Richfella: @ Vergil, e-herbal and Bawss1

That's actually from a Vodafone Cafe. The max you can get at home is 20Mbps - which is more than enough even if you're downloading the library of congress.

This is the sh*t we'd have been enjoying in Nigeria had NITEL been sold to the right guys. Vodafone bought over Ghana Telecom (their NITEL equivalent) and the stuff is delivered through fixed telephone lines.

Can't believe my Visaphone modem in NG used to give me 7kbps - when it's really fast! lipsrsealed

http://www.vodafone.com.gh/Internet-Cafes/Fixed-broadband.aspx

But hold on, are their fixed lines hanging on unstable poles, like they are with NITEL in Nigeria??

You also telling me they have cafes? Aah chai! "Giant of africa". But, thought now, the plan is to sell NITEL?

20Mbps my guy!!! Its something! Deffo! Downloading galor. But how's the pricing like?

So, Ghanians dey enjoy like this...hmm

Nigerians should reaaally stop running their mouth. Ought to be fukkin ashamed. "Ghana must go", see am, nah dem dey go so. Heck, their own demand for first, business class flights to the UK or abroad aint that much. These guys are deffo getting their amenities in check. Need to visit soon!!
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by ACM10: 5:04pm On Mar 28, 2012
PapaBrowne: To be sincere, I totally agree with him!! My Glo Broadband is faster than what I get in some world class hotels in Asia and Europe!! Recently, I had this argument with someone and he couldn't believe me!! The only problem is reliability!! Somedays you don't get that crazy speed!!

However, this guy is probably staying in some crazy hotel in Lag and as he said, it might not be representative of the situation across board!!
Truth be told, internet speeds have radically increased in Nigeria!!

GLO is the fastest broadband connection that I've ever used in Nigeria. Though it's expensive. But the quality of service offered is worth the financial commitment.
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by maasoap(m): 6:51pm On Mar 28, 2012
Nigerians and their inability to comprehend simple message. What else do you need to understand the man's words? Negative mindset indeed. Ride on!
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by kobikwelu(m): 7:20pm On Mar 28, 2012
crap...i bet you..that guy must have gotten some transaction alert after his post
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by Nobody: 7:55pm On Mar 28, 2012
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by Megateq(m): 8:15pm On Mar 28, 2012
Very soon another man will come from Britain telling us that we enjoy more power supply than Manchester
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 28, 2012
e-herbal:
good question!I suspect they routed all their Subscribers speed to that particular test to fool people on the speed.It's just so unrealistic!.
I hope you are right. If u are, then I think they must have finished their testing by now and i hope they can now unroute our speeds back to us. Cos i noticed that internet speeds has reduced seriously since the onset of this year.
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by emsquare(m): 8:29pm On Mar 28, 2012
Callotti: I think I prefer the presence of the New York hospitals, schools, electricity, roads and recreational facilities.
As for the internet speed. . .we all know it is a fat lie.

True Talk!!! I can't even stream videos or watch movies properly...
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by blackboi(m): 8:54pm On Mar 28, 2012
eGuerrilla:
According to Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales, Nigeria’s internet speed is faster than New York’s. grin grin cheesy

Wales tweeted yesterday, “Broadband speed in Nigeria. Beats New York City”, with a link to the results of his speed test (see below).

Wales arrived in Lagos yesterday and is set to address the Youth Marketer Convergence Conference (YMC 2.0) which runs from 27-28 March.
Wales later posted another tweet saying: “To clarify my earlier tweet – I know this speed is not representative of broadband across Nigeria! But it is real bandwidth and the future!” (see below).

u go fear FEAR na cheesy
Wiki-Lie 4rm Wikipedia gringrin
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by OmoTier1(m): 11:55pm On Mar 28, 2012
Sad to see what years of poverty and neglect has done to so many Nigerians to the extent they can no longer recognize good things even in their own country!
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by 76Naira(m): 1:00am On Mar 29, 2012
Not representative at all.
I pay 10k per month for a so called broadband at home in Lagos & can't have face time with family via webcams.
I download media at an effective 30kb/s.
In Atlanta, I streamed a 1.5Gb movie file in 19 minutes.

This is so not true beyond that VIP hotel room he paid 150k per night or so in.
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by Nobody: 2:49am On Mar 29, 2012
Vergil:

But hold on, are their fixed lines hanging on unstable poles, like they are with NITEL in Nigeria??

You also telling me they have cafes? Aah chai! "Giant of africa". But, thought now, the plan is to sell NITEL?

20Mbps my guy!!! Its something! Deffo! Downloading galor. But how's the pricing like?

So, Ghanians dey enjoy like this...hmm

Nigerians should reaaally stop running their mouth. Ought to be fukkin ashamed. "Ghana must go", see am, nah dem dey go so. Heck, their own demand for first, business class flights to the UK or abroad aint that much. These guys are deffo getting their amenities in check. Need to visit soon!!

The pricing is totally reasonable. The prices range from the N4,500-equivalent minimum (1Mbps download and 256Kbps upload) to the 20Mbps download and 5Mbps upload which costs GHC200 (approximately N20,000) - monthly that is. About four other plans/packages in between.
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by texazzpete(m): 7:07am On Mar 29, 2012
mjconcept:
Supported,the problem with Nigerians is that we see nothing good in ourself.

The problem with Nigerians like yourself is that you talk without common sense.
How in the world will Glo 3G HSDPA with a max speed of 7.2 Mbps (Believe me, it NEVER reaches half of that) compare with 4G LTE speeds in the US from AT&T and Verizon? Numerous reviewers have hit speeds of over 40 Mbps on the new LTE iPad.

Consumer available Broadband speeds in Nigeria are a joke, pure and simple.
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by texazzpete(m): 7:41am On Mar 29, 2012
Omo_Tier1: Sad to see what years of poverty and neglect has done to so many Nigerians to the extent they can no longer recognize good things even in their own country!

Sad to see Nigerians so desperate for positive news that they claim unrepresentative things as the norm in Nigeria.
This is just as brainless as taking a photo of the Babangida household living room and claiming that Nigerians live in opulence.

There is no consumer friendly broadband solution in Nigeria with monthly payment of less than 20k monthly that will reach 10Mbps in real world use.

Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by bioye(m): 1:25pm On Mar 29, 2012
I believe the Wikipedia founder. Just because majority of Nigeria has slow or no internet does not mean there aren't a few super fast connections here and there. With the advent of Main ONE, Glo-1, Sat-3 and MTN WACS intercontinental undersea fibre optics services in recent years, internet connectivity in Nigeria is witnessing a major boost.

By the way, Mr. Jimmy Wales is lodging at Eko Hotel whose ISP is Hyperia. Both outfits are owned by the multibillion-dollar-rich Chagouri brothers. Hyperia currently provides high speed fibre optics and VSAT internet connectivity.
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by khel(m): 10:03pm On Mar 29, 2012
perhaps the whole of Lagos paused their internet usage, hence it became so fast!!!...xlolx...xlolx...xlolx....xlolx....when he gets back to the US, he should find a way to subscribe to Lagos for "fast" broadband internet!..."smh"
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by emoneyland: 3:49am On Mar 30, 2012
logicboy: Wow......what kind of lie is this? Where are all the Lagosians to refute this?

I pay almost N17,000 for monthly starcomms (and sometimes mtn?)internet in Lagos that can not even be compared to my BT broadband in London on its slowest day. I heard that there were some fast broadband companies in Lagos but their prices are ridiculous. Why should we pay more than

£15 a month can get you nice broadband speeds unlike nigeria where N17,000 a month(about £68) gets you nothing

I think everything depends on a lot of factors. These broadband companies need constant electricity for their equipment, and we obviously don't have that yet, so they have to power their stuff wt generators and these costs are passed down to the subscribers. Do you know each of the cell phone towers u see all over the city uses some kinda generator. The electricity in the UK is predictable n these extra costs may not b there
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by Origin(f): 8:25pm On Apr 01, 2012
Mr Wales PR man told you nEed to get noticed so say something remarkable once ǚ get off the plane. So Mr Wales arrived Lagos ,checked his equipment thought" WTF" and said " the broadband speed in Lagos is faster than in new York".

Yeah right.
Re: Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' by Solozzo(m): 5:25am On Aug 24, 2012
Callotti:

Is it only internet that you can use to compare Nigeria to New York?
Yes, nothing good however small can be associated with Nigeria.
Your internet speed is false.
Unless you have never used internet service in Nigeria.

You do not have any evidence for your position about nigerians Internet speed. But if you look at the way Nigerians upload on Facebook, YouTube and even NL, just using mobile phones in most times, you can get some insight about what we talking about. Fast Internet speed improves communication, information gathering, and is a sign of advances in the level of educated middle class in a country.

The Real Facts About Blogging As A Career / Pirate Bay Founder Arrested For Tax Hack / How Long Did You Wait For Adsense To Connect Ur Site