Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

How Lawmakers Underdevelop Nigeria - Simon Kolawole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Lawmakers Underdevelop Nigeria - Simon Kolawole (1096 Views)

Olabisi Kolawole, First Female Police PRO In Nigerian / Before The Honeymoon Ends In Divorce, Simon Kolawole Warns Buhari / Simon Lalong, Plateau Governor-elect Refuses To Move Into N15b Government House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Lawmakers Underdevelop Nigeria - Simon Kolawole by OAM4J: 4:42am On Mar 29, 2012
How Lawmakers Underdevelop Nigeria - Simon Kolawole

In any given democracy, the legislature performs three functions: lawmaking, appropriation and oversight of the executive. I bear the Nigerian legislature witness that they actually make laws, especially the ones that would not upset the applecart. They do a lot of appropriation—and carefully jack up the budget to accommodate their own interests. Oversight function? Of course, they do perform it excellently, as long as the agency or ministry or parastatal they are overseeing would “support” public hearings and give committee members tickets and bundles of dollars to fly to some unknown republic to attend “capacity-building” conferences. And so it goes.

The legislature, I want to declare today, has contributed immensely to the underdevelopment of Nigeria. We often look at the clueless executive branch of government as the source of our woes. I suppose we are correct to a large extent. After all, the executive is responsible for policies and the implementation of law and order in the society. The executive runs the machinery of government day to day. But there is the principle of separation of powers and checks and balances. The judiciary serves as a check. While it has not been perfect in any way, the judiciary has certainly helped stabilise this democracy with timely interventions that have checkmated anarchy and diluted dictatorship.

But to effectively put the executive in check, however, we need a very active and proactive legislature. We need a legislature that puts the executive on its toes through oversight functions. I am going to use the current House/Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) scandal to illustrate my point on the diabolical legislature today. The House Committee on Capital Market recently decided to probe the fatal crash of our stock market, once regarded as yielding the most profitable returns globally. I am usually sceptical when our lawmakers suddenly want to investigate something for public good. I am very, very sceptical.

I am sorry to be so cynical, but since when did the lawmakers love Nigeria so much that they want to do something for our progress? Since 1999, they have been investigating and probing all kinds of things and we never got any result. There was so much noise over the probe of power projects in 2008—excuse me, what was the outcome again? I seem to have forgotten. Recently, there has been a lot of noise and public posturing over the probe of petroleum subsidy management. Discerning Nigerians know very well that nothing would ever come out of it, if our past experiences could serve as a guide. I can list a thousand probes and a thousand no-outcomes. So, pardon my scepticism.

And so the House Committee on Capital Market decided to probe the stock market crisis. The crash has led to the erosion of the wealth of millions of Nigerians. It has led to the death of banks and stockbroking firms. Many investors have developed incurable health problems as a result. Some have died from high blood pressure and stroke. Thousands of jobs have been wiped out. Probing the immediate and remote causes would ordinarily be to the benefit of Nigeria and Nigerians and perhaps help us come up with policies to be better prepared for future volatilities. From every indication, this should be an excellent exercise.

The Hon. Herman Hembe-led committee then wrote to the market regulators, SEC, inviting them to the public hearing. But what happened next? The committee attached to the same letter a list of its expenditure, totalling N39,844,490. The list includes snacks and drinks, as well as “official reporters” and “computer consumables”. Even without uttering a word, the motive of the committee was clear: bring some coins to the table to “support” the public hearing. I won’t be surprised if the same letter containing the “requirements” was also sent to other invitees to the public hearing. You can have N39 million from as many willing sponsors as possible. And don’t forget that the House has a monumental budget for public hearings. If you doubt me, please go through the budget of the National Assembly. So we are faced with a situation where the lawmakers eat the same cake two, three times. Who says you can’t eat your cake and have it? That’s an outdated proverb.

What happened next? SEC chose to play ball. The decision makers at SEC decided that the probe would be good for the market and opted to support the committee with “not more than N30 million only”. Look at it again. SEC could be culpable in the crash of the market. In fact, a thorough probe could reveal that the body shirked its responsibilities and was mainly responsible for the crash that nearly ruined the economy. So by the time SEC decides to “support” the probe with N30 million—in addition to an early favour done to Hembe to fly to Dominican Republic—what would be the outcome of the probe? Let me guess: a clean bill of health for SEC! And so, we keep destroying Nigeria in the name of probes and public hearings.

Of course, the “sponsorship” deal went awry along the line. SEC insiders claim that the money was to be paid directly, electronically, into the committee’s account but Hembe requested, through an intermediary, that N5 million should be paid to him personally (Hembe has denied this allegation). SEC pulled the plug on the deal. The hearing started the following day. Hembe let all hell loose, questioning the SEC DG, Ms Arunma Oteh, in the most condescending way possible. The woman, in failing to respond to the questions satisfactorily, quickly adopted the well-tested strategy of hunting the hunter: she alleged that it was because she failed to pay bribes totalling N44 million that Hembe was harassing her (can I add that she only agreed to part with N30 million?).

Fellow Nigerians, we would never have heard of these shady dealings if the monies had been released and collected. All we would hear is that the House Committee on Capital Market had probed the stock market crash and absolved SEC of all blame and declared that the collapse was caused by the global economic crisis which—in this age of globalisation—no economy is insulated. That would be the end of the matter until the committee members are broke again and decide to probe the sale of one listed company or the other. And then a letter would be written to SEC summoning them to the public hearing. And the list of “requirements” would be attached. And so it goes.

The latest scandal is perhaps one of the smallest. It is common knowledge that committees of the National Assembly engage in this unholy act on a regular basis. It starts with appropriation. A ministry would say it wants to spend N100 billion in 2013; the committee would call the minister aside and promise to help him jack up the budget in exchange for a few billions. A deal is struck. Professor Fabian Osuji would forever regret agreeing to serve this country. In 2004, some members of the National Assembly allegedly told him to bring N50 million so that his ministry’s budget could be passed. The deal went bad and the man was publicly humiliated. Also, I was told that when the House committee started probing power projects, a member called one of the contractors and asked that if they would raise some amount of money to be distributed to committee members, the panel would turn out a favourable report.

These evils are perpetrated not only at the federal level but also in the states. It is an open secret that in many states, members of the House of Assembly are put on special monthly allowances by the governors. Some monies are not to be accounted for at all. We would not have the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) running after governors today if the state lawmakers were alive to their oversight responsibilities. The laws of the land empower only the House of Assembly to probe a governor and remove him or her from office if found guilty. But this is just on paper. They’ve gladly surrendered their independence to the executive.

In more ways than one, the legislature is contributing its own quota to the underdevelopment of Nigeria. How can the lawmakers be accepting flight tickets and bales of dollars from the same people they are expected to put in check? How can they be colluding to jack up the budget in exchange for contracts and kick-backs? How can they be sending a list of “requirements” to the same body they want to probe? What are we turning this country into? Is there a way out of this conspiracy to keep Nigeria perpetually down through abject greed, crass incompetence and crude selfishness?

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/how-lawmakers-underdevelop-nigeria/112215/

1 Like

Re: How Lawmakers Underdevelop Nigeria - Simon Kolawole by OAM4J: 4:46am On Mar 29, 2012
Very Interesting read and a sad reality.

We have a very long way to go. sad
Re: How Lawmakers Underdevelop Nigeria - Simon Kolawole by emmysam2: 10:05am On Mar 29, 2012
I totally agree with poster on issues raised. It is a very very pathetic situation we have in Nigeria. Much of the bane of Nigeria's problem is that there are no clear cut Checks and Balances amongst the arms of government hence the escalating level of corruption. What we have is complete collusion on part of government officials to loot the wealth of the Nation. Legislative Officials in Nigeria have become larger than life, and assume sense of public wastages that only irresponsible government can tolerate.
1. Why do we need a Legislative Arm as large as one we have? (A quarter of the number can do same jobs even better)
2. Why dont we have a functional Public Complaint Commission or other medium to check the excesses of the Legislators?
3. In Situations where the legislature have unilaterally & unconstitutionally jacked up their salaries/entilements, what do the government agencies do to address these?
4. Why do we have so many Legislative committees with huge amounts of monies allocated to them to carry out senseless probes and other oversight functions that nothing ever comes out? (To me these committees are ways of looting the govt treasury. It is only in Nigeria that a committee will be set up and given N30 to probe why Mr A stole N20, and yet another committee will be set up and paid N50 to study the report of the initial panel's probe, and by the end of the day... Nothing).

It is a pathetic situation, The legislative arm of the government that is supposed to provide a soft landing for the smooth running of government and ensure efficiency and prudency is the most corrupt arm of the government. Worst still, How do you expect corrupt officials to make laws that will eventually effect them? I dont subscribe to violence, but honestly sometimes I think a revolution that will flush out these legislative crooks will do the country some good.
Re: How Lawmakers Underdevelop Nigeria - Simon Kolawole by jamace(m): 4:49pm On Mar 30, 2012
That is an open truth.

Imagine asking for kickback when tasked to investigate a fraud. How can a fraudulent organisation handle corruption? How can satan cast out satatn?

I pity the country because it is led by those whose have the remotest respect for her.

The Nigerian Legislators are criminals in power.

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram - The Camouflage / HOW PHCN OPERATE IN OGIJO, OGUN STATE / Governor Fashola's Email Address

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.