Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,924 members, 7,814,106 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging (7319 Views)

Man Who Killed Policemen Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Bayelsa (photo) / Nigeria Rental Car Operator Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Malaysia(photos) / Airforce Men Beat FAAN Staff To Coma At Lagos Airport (see Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by BlackPikiN(m): 6:01am On Mar 30, 2012
The Supreme Court on Wednesday approved the death by hanging of a security guard, Stephen Haruna working with the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) over his alleged murder of an Assistant General Manager in the Legal department of the same company, Sussana Igwe.
Nine year old pupil tells court how her teacher raped her

Supreme Court sentences a PHCN staff to death by hanging over his alleged involvement in the murder of an Assistant General Manager in the Legal department of the same company

Following police investigations, Mr Haruna admitted killing her boss, Ms Igwe and was consequently charged with murder before an Abuja High Court.
The court found him guilty and sentenced him to death.

He, however, challenged the judgment on appeal. When the Court of Appeal affirmed the High court’s decision he took the matter to the Supreme Court.
Justice Suleiman Galadima who wrote the lead judgment that was concurred by four other justices, said there was overwhelming evidence to uphold the conviction of Mr Haruna.

”In the face of overwhelming evidence against the appellant, I cannot upturn the concurrent findings of the trial court and the Court of Appeal, when the appellant has failed to demonstrate that the said concurrent findings were perverse and could not be supported, having regard to the evidence adduced by the Prosecutor,” Justice Galadima said.

He added that one of Mr Haruna’s girlfriends, Mary Jimoh, testified that the money he stole from Ms Igwe was deposited with her.

Although, the convict made three confessional statements to the police in the course of investigations, he later retracted one of them.

The justice held that even if the third statement was discountenanced, Haruna could still be and was rightly convicted. According to him, the appellant’s confessional statement was corroborated by the discovery of stolen money he took to his girlfriend at Kubwa, a suburb of Abuja for safe keep.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/03/29/supreme-court-sentences-a-phcn-staff-to-death-by-hanging/
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by ZUBY77(m): 7:22am On Mar 30, 2012
Good one. I think the supreme court should adopt a similar procdure for corrupt officials.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by Yeske2(m): 8:20am On Mar 30, 2012
ZUBY77: Good one. I think the supreme court should adopt a similar procdure for corrupt officials.
Very true, seconded.
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by ASOROCKb(m): 8:24am On Mar 30, 2012
Too bad! Trust no boko haram.
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by Businesstools(m): 9:54am On Mar 30, 2012
"He who kills by sword,shall die by sword"
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by gegee(m): 10:17am On Mar 30, 2012
nigeria hardly ever executes anyone he'll probably be on deathrow for ever
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by Ninapha(f): 10:18am On Mar 30, 2012
Very annoying! why killing her if what he wanted was money. Wasting her life, career and certificates. what a wicked world.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by bakila: 11:08am On Mar 30, 2012
ASOROCK b: Too bad! Trust no boko haram.
Since you started it from you username you will end it by John. Thank God

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by bakila: 11:08am On Mar 30, 2012
ASOROCK b: Too bad! Trust no boko haram.
Since you started it from you username you will end it by June. Thank God.

The man got what he deserved.
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by POTUT(m): 11:09am On Mar 30, 2012
Just how much was involved that blinded to man to commit murder. Ordinary break and enter or burgling her house would have still gotten him the money.
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by Nobody: 11:23am On Mar 30, 2012
Businesstools: "He who kills by sword,shall die by sword"
seriusly, that was the best thing. He ought to be hanged on the NEPA POLL. grin
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by sexyverah(f): 11:23am On Mar 30, 2012
I 1da what pple derive from killing. Dis shld b a lesson 2 dos of u planning 2 kill ur fellow human cry cry cry
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by microgiant: 11:42am On Mar 30, 2012
BlackPikiN:
”In the face of overwhelming evidence against the appellant, I cannot upturn the concurrent findings of the trial court and the Court of Appeal, when the appellant has failed to demonstrate that the said concurrent findings were perverse and could not be supported, having regard to the evidence adduced by the Prosecutor,” Justice Galadima said.

Can't EFCC borrow this Prosecutor?

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by atasteve: 2:56pm On Mar 30, 2012
What a man sows, he shall reap.
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by Nobody: 4:38pm On Mar 30, 2012
hang him! Just because he is a gate man: wot if he were a senator, governor or highly placed individual. Hw many boko haram have they hanged! Sh*t!
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by lungtruth(m): 5:07pm On Mar 30, 2012
hausa man murdered igbos,this is purely sentiment only divison would help. Wicked boko haram
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by Bastiger(m): 5:41pm On Mar 30, 2012
why by hanging?i hope he dies in an electric chair.
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by Bastiger(m): 5:42pm On Mar 30, 2012
that is if nigeria has one
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by Reference(m): 9:19pm On Mar 30, 2012
Bastiger: why by hanging?i hope he dies in an electric chair.

Hanging is the only practical way of disposing scumbags in Nigeria. Knowing when he will be electrocuted the felon will probably contact his chums in PHCN to blackout the jailhouse or deliver such low current that only uncle Wallie will feel the tingle.
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by nagoma(m): 11:00pm On Mar 31, 2012
@lungtruth

The man's name is Stephen .
Re: Supreme Court Sentences A PHCN Staff To Death By Hanging by akbahbah(m): 11:46pm On Mar 31, 2012
Stupid aboki, life is noffin to them. Anyway may his rugged soul suffer everlasting agony in hell

(1) (Reply)

I Vickertony was wrongly accused by nairalander Octavia I want my name cleared / 87 Yrs Old Man Caught Having Sex With 12 Yrs Old Girl / Ibadon Forest Of Horror: The Forest With Over 50 Human Skulls.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.