Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This (5200 Views)

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by JeSoul(f): 3:50pm On Nov 01, 2007
whassup people.
To the many yoruba experts in here pls do me a favor and translate these words to this song to yoruba for me. My yoruba is very very rusty and I need help, but I understand well.

THANKS!

"Jesus lover of my soul/
Jesus I'll never let you go/
you've taken me from the miry clay/
set my feet upon on rock and now I know/
I love you/
I need you/
my world may fall but still I'll never let you go/
my savior/
my closest friend/
I worship you till the very end/"

Thanks again!
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by Samakins(m): 3:23pm On Nov 05, 2007
"Jesus lover of my soul/
I love you/
I need you/
my savior/
my closest friend/

It translates:
Jesu olufe okan mi
Jesu n ko ni fi o sile
O fami jade lati'nu ira
O fi ese mi l'ori apata, nisisiyi mo mo
Mo fe o
Mo nilo re
Aye mi le dorikodo, sibe, n ko ni fi o sile
Olugbala mi
Ore mi owon
n o sin o titi d'opin.
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by drrionelli(m): 8:46pm On Nov 05, 2007
I have a question, too, that requires a translation:

What does "oyibo" or "oyinbo"mean? I'm not certain if I'm spelling it quite correctly, so allow me to apologize for that.

Thank you, in advance!
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 05, 2007
oyibo=oyinbo= "white man"
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by JeSoul(f): 1:15am On Nov 06, 2007
Samakins:

"Jesus lover of my soul/
I love you/
I need you/
my savior/
my closest friend/

It translates:
Jesu olufe okan mi
Jesu n ko ni fi o sile
O fami jade lati'nu ira
O fi ese mi l'ori apata, nisisiyi mo mo
Mo fe o
Mo nilo re
Aye mi le dorikodo, sibe, n ko ni fi o sile
Olugbala mi
Ore mi owon
n o sin o titi d'opin.

Samakins, ese gan! Thanks a lot! smiley
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by drrionelli(m): 1:53am On Nov 06, 2007
@ziddy:
Thank you very much for your assistance!

Now, if I may, is that a literal translation or does the term have a colloquial, perhaps, vernacular meaning as well?

Also, is the pronunciation more or less the way it would seem to be pronounced?
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by Nobody: 9:56pm On Nov 06, 2007
its also used -in a derogatory way- to refer to Nigerians/ Africans who demonstrate a less-than-adequate grasp of the local culture.

it rhymes with 'oh'
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by drrionelli(m): 12:05am On Nov 07, 2007
@ziddy:
I really am appreciative for your help with this!

I ask these questions because somebody posted this in regard to me.  He seemed to suggest it was meant in a good-natured manner (something about my somewhat formal patterns of speech/writing) but I'm not so sure, now, because I'm neither Nigerian nor white!
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by minute(f): 12:17am On Nov 07, 2007
@samakins u did a good job.esha ku ishe naa ,oluwa a so agbara dotun.
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by Samakins(m): 11:16am On Nov 07, 2007
@minute, thanks for the compliments
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by omena555(f): 4:42pm On Nov 07, 2007
pls pple, can someone tell me the meaning of 'adara'?
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by ricadelide(m): 10:33am On Nov 08, 2007
omena555:

please people, can someone tell me the meaning of 'adara'?
I presume you mean to say "a dara" (two words). It means: it shall be well.
Cheers smiley
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This by omena555(f): 11:07am On Nov 08, 2007
@ricadelide, thank u very much. i actually heard it in one song by one nigerian rapper (i think sasha or so) and i was wondering what she meant by 'a dara' grin

(1) (Reply)

Words Of Tribal Origin Used As General Slangs & Their Meanings / The Beauty Of Agbor Town[photos] / Does A Person Die When A Star Falls From The Sky?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.