Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Discrimination - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Discrimination (2607 Views)

Poll: The discrimination against polytechnic HND graduates should be stopped and proper attention and funding should be given to polytechnic education in Nigeria for economic and technological growth.

Yes, i agree: 100% (4 votes)
No, i disagree: 0% (0 votes)
I have insufficient knowledge about the discrimination, therefore i cant say anything.: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. / The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka / Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discrimination by ishmael(m): 2:17pm On Mar 31, 2012
Nigerian government hates discrimination. They kick against the discrimination of people living with HIV/AIDS, they kick against the discrimination of albinos, they kick against the discrimination of the disabled and physically challenged. They also kick against the discrimination of gender, religion, tribe or race. Why can't they kick against the discrimination of polytechnic HND certificate in Nigeria? This issue is a serious political issue and should be given serious political attention. All nairalanders who want Nigeria to grow economically should help table this issue to the President and National Assembly for them to bail poly HND graduates out of this unfair and unneccessary discrimination.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination by ishmael(m): 9:25pm On Mar 31, 2012
Pls, all poly graduates, undergraduates, friends and relatives of poly graduates, parents/guardians of poly graduates, staff and lecturers of polytechnics, etc. we need ur votes. Concerned university students & graduates, as well as concerned and sensitive nigerians; pls we need u to help us cast ur votes. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination by Nobody: 9:45pm On Mar 31, 2012
Move it to the right section. Education!
Re: Discrimination by ishmael(m): 9:15am On Apr 01, 2012
Thanx. But the issue is now political; it's more of politics than education.
Re: Discrimination by ishmael(m): 2:13pm On Apr 02, 2012
Pls where are our poly students and graduates? We need you to help us caste ur vote here pls. We need this data to find a lasting solution to this evil and unfair discrimination against poly graduates.
Re: Discrimination by Hndholder(m): 3:03pm On Apr 02, 2012
The government of Nigeria do not want the polytechnic Education. No funding to promotion technological education Why are HND holders of HND stranded? In fact I regreted atteding the polytechnic. No government want to do anything about it. Those that had HND discriminate aganst themselves talk less of the University degree holders.
Re: Discrimination by Hndholder(m): 3:54pm On Apr 02, 2012
Mr. Stephen Oronsaye,former Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, sparked off a new debate over the over-flogged superiority battle between holders of the Higher National Diploma (HND) and their Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science counterparts.
Mr. Oronsaye, at a forum, frankly declared that HND was not equivalent to a university degree because "it is not the same curriculum". To further drive home his point, the Head of Civil Service said, "There is a body, the National Council on Establishments, where this thing was tabled, and unanimously, all of them said HND cannot be equivalent to a university degree, and that is the highest body to take this decision." Indeed, this is an old debate with all its déjà vu features, but it seems nobody had ever put it in such a tactless manner as Mr. Oronsaye did, probably because of the national passion it will generate. The superiority battle between the HND holders and their university degree colleagues is as contentious as the rivalry between two wives marrying to one husband.
The battle which is seriously rocking the private sector is equally affecting the public service, thus, creating unnecessary animosity as a result of ambiguous national definition and delineation between the two academic qualifications.
Nigeria is a "certificacentric" society, placing so much emphasis on paper qualification rather than output and competence. I wonder if this is the same attitude abroad! Larry King of CNN, I was told, has no university degree, yet he has carved a niche for himself doing what he knows how to do best!
Receiving university education in Nigeria is more of a function of luck, connection and parental background rather than a function of intellectual ability. In other words, access to university education is a big problem in Nigeria.
Re: Discrimination by ishmael(m): 1:33pm On Apr 07, 2012
No body is saying that HND and Bsc are the same. All we are saying is that they are equivalent. Do we need mathematicians to come and explain the difference btw equality and equivalence?
Re: Discrimination by Hndholder(m): 8:36am On Apr 10, 2012
What are the differences between B.Engn, B.Tech, Bsc and HND in Nigeria? HND holders were equipped with Technological training to do B.Tech work. Why duplications? FGN will do it well with the Polytechnics stopped at ND Level. Nigeria became dumping ground of other countries products. Nigeria is full of Bachelor graduates looking for jobs instead of creating JOBS using the Polytechnic products, Nobody is saying that HND and Bsc are the same.
Re: Discrimination by ishmael(m): 3:41pm On Apr 10, 2012
Yes, it will be better for polytechnics to award only ND certificate, that is middle level manpower. Anything higher level should be done in the university and should be a Degree. Most HND programs especially in science, technology, and engineering are very similar to BTech programs in style and structure, but yet seen as inferior because it is coming from polytechnic.
Re: Discrimination by Hndholder(m): 3:44pm On Apr 10, 2012
You got it wrong again. Not similar they are the same. Even more in some poly.
Re: Discrimination by ishmael(m): 11:19am On Apr 30, 2012
Hnd-holder:
You got it wrong again. Not similar they are the same. Even more in some poly.
Yes u're right, some polytechnic HND courses do more in their course work than Bsc/ BTech in nigeria. In the UK, US, and other developed and developing countries, the difference btw engineering technology and engineering (engineering science) is very clear. Engineers design but cannot implement the design into finish product; whereas the engineering technologist implements the design and ensures it is implemented or built to specification. They are also responsible for maintenance and repairs in the event of a malfunction or failure. Their academic works are different. Engineers do more theoretical work like maths, science, etc while the technologist do more applied work than theory. Their maths and science courses are not too indepth, but they are well knowledeable in applied work. Each has its own role to play in the engineering community. They are placed on the same level in terms of employment but they perform different functions. None is made to see itself to be superior than the other, and none can effectively perform the function of the other because their trainings are not the same. Why is the case different in nigeria? The engineers see themselves as superior and yet have not been able to design for the technologists to implement. They have refused to allow the technologists to perform their own functions.
Re: Discrimination by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 14, 2012
HND and Bsc are not equivalent as far as nigeria is concerned. As it was in the begining, is now and forever shall be, world without end. Amen. That's the statement of a politician, who happens to be an ideot. I think the only way out is to upgrade yourself if you are holding HND.
Re: Discrimination by ishmael(m): 4:31pm On May 14, 2012
ajayitp04: HND and Bsc are not equivalent as far as nigeria is concerned. As it was in the begining, is now and forever shall be, world without end. Amen. That's the statement of a politician, who happens to be an ideot. I think the only way out is to upgrade yourself if you are holding HND.
if HND is not an equivalent qualification to a Degree then what is it equivalent to? NCE entry level is level 07 and Degree is 08, then where will u best place HND being that it is higher than NCE? Let them stop playing politics with the nigerian HND, its worth is equivalent to a bachelor Degree or even more.
Re: Discrimination by SilaV: 6:04pm On May 14, 2012
My brother,Ismael,I can feel your pain.I have HND in Electrical-Electronics Engineering from one the best polytechnics in Nigeria and also graduated with a nice grade.The dichotomy between HND and B.SC,B.ENG or B.TECH in Nigeria has been in existence for a very long time.General Obasanjo,during the twilight of his administration tried to put an end to this, but change in government and lack of continuity made the trend persists.We all know the roles of each cadre of class of the Engineering family.The different functions accounted for the difference in curricula.All things being equal, there ought not to be any form of discrimination against the HND holders,especially holders with engineering background(no disregards meant for other fields), but Nigerian system has chosen to make it like that.The piece of advice I will give to you is to upgrade yourself.Please, note that going for PGD with the aim of obtaining Masters degree to be at parity with the university colleague won't solve the problem totally:reference will still be made to your "first degree" at a higher level-I know what I am talking about.The best way,I think, to be free of discrimination is to go for a linkage programme to B.Sc programme,if you are so eager and other factors like age,family responsibility,time,etc are on the positive note for you.This could be done by enrolling with institutions that offer such programmes:like UNISA, University of Portsmouth,etc.If you are an Engineering student, then, UNISA may be good for you.It is an online Programm,whereby you don't need to travel outside Nigeria before getting your B.TECH.Other foreign instititions like Uni Prthsmouth,Westend College require that you travel out for the programme.There are other options available within Nigeria here: UNIPORT offers a special bridge progamme for HND holders, this programme often lasts for three academic sessions.Still on options available in Nigeria, you can obtain Direct Entry back into 300L(Only very few can do this).Mr Ismael, as at present I am upgrading myself using one of the aforementioned Nigerian options and I am really doing great CGPA-wise, despite the fact that I am working.On a final note, educational achievement is an individual thing: one can get to the top even with SSCE or OND without HND or the much talked about B.SC. You are lifted Bro.Remember,que sera sera
Re: Discrimination by ishmael(m): 6:34pm On May 14, 2012
SilaV: My brother,Ismael,I can feel your pain.I have HND in Electrical-Electronics Engineering from one the best polytechnics in Nigeria and also graduated with a nice grade.The dichotomy between HND and B.SC,B.ENG or B.TECH in Nigeria has been in existence for a very long time.General Obasanjo,during the twilight of his administration tried to put an end to this, but change in government and lack of continuity made the trend persists.We all know the roles of each cadre of class of the Engineering family.The different functions accounted for the difference in curricula.All things being equal, there ought not to be any form of discrimination against the HND holders,especially holders with engineering background(no disregards meant for other fields), but Nigerian system has chosen to make it like that.The piece of advice I will give to you is to upgrade yourself.Please, note that going for PGD with the aim of obtaining Masters degree to be at parity with the university colleague won't solve the problem totally:reference will still be made to your "first degree" at a higher level-I know what I am talking about.The best way,I think, to be free of discrimination is to go for a linkage programme to B.Sc programme,if you are so eager and other factors like age,family responsibility,time,etc are on the positive note for you.This could be done by enrolling with institutions that offer such programmes:like UNISA, University of Portsmouth,etc.If you are an Engineering student, then, UNISA may be good for you.It is an online Programm,whereby you don't need to travel outside Nigeria before getting your B.TECH.Other foreign instititions like Uni Prthsmouth,Westend College require that you travel out for the programme.There are other options available within Nigeria here: UNIPORT offers a special bridge progamme for HND holders, this programme often lasts for three academic sessions.Still on options available in Nigeria, you can obtain Direct Entry back into 300L(Only very few can do this).Mr Ismael, as at present I am upgrading myself using one of the aforementioned Nigerian options and I am really doing great CGPA-wise, despite the fact that I am working.On a final note, educational achievement is an individual thing: one can get to the top even with SSCE or OND without HND or the much talked about B.SC. You are lifted Bro.Remember,que sera sera
i have HND and Bsc both in the same course. All i am saying is that let the truth be said about HND in nigeria. Polytechnic HND holders have skills that make them comparable with Bsc holders. I also have a friend that lectures in a first generation uni. He does nt ve a Bsc but he is a PhD holder now and is addressed as a 'Dr'. He has ND, HND, PGD, Msc, and PhD. He was employed to lecture with his Msc and was offered admission to run PhD. He was very lucky. The truth is that i did and learnt more in the polytechnic than in the uni. Let those concern stop playing politics with the HND qualification.
Re: Discrimination by SilaV: 8:20pm On May 14, 2012
ishmael: i have HND and Bsc both in the same course. All i am saying is that let the truth be said about HND in nigeria. Polytechnic HND holders have skills that make them comparable with Bsc holders. I also have a friend that lectures in a first generation uni. He does nt ve a Bsc but he is a PhD holder now and is addressed as a 'Dr'. He has ND, HND, PGD, Msc, and PhD. He was employed to lecture with his Msc and was offered admission to run PhD. He was very lucky. The truth is that i did and learnt more in the polytechnic than in the uni. Let those concern stop playing politics with the HND qualification.

It is good to know that you have both,Bro.Most of the courses I am taking now in the so called university serve as revision for me.Now, on the issue of your friend with HND that went ahead to do PHD.I will say he was lucky.I know and have heard of people that were denied PHD programmes because of the fact that their "first degree" was at HND level.A lecturer from UI once narrated his ordeal in one of the national dailies.He had to go for B.SC when he couldn't withstand the limitations he was facing.Your point is really understandable:there should not be any discrimination against the HND holders.Unfortunately,those people who have what it takes to make the much needed change don't consider it as a serious issue because their wards can never be found in the polytechnics for obvious reasons.Tell me, do you think the sons and daughters of highly placed public office holders, politicians,business moguls,ploicy makers ,etc can be found in the monotechnics or the polytechnics?Only a few cases.So, for now it is good to play along and do the needful." A disease that cannot be cured must be endured," so says an adage.
Re: Discrimination by ishmael(m): 9:34pm On May 14, 2012
@silaV: Really HND is not for children of the rich and policy makers, that is why they don't care. It is very rare to find their children in such schools doing HND. It is really a disease that has to be endured.
Re: Discrimination by Hndholder(m): 8:12am On Apr 29, 2013
Nigeria want Degree cetificate Abi!
Re: Discrimination by ishmael(m): 1:59pm On Apr 29, 2013
Hnd-holder:
Nigeria want Degree cetificate Abi!
Re: Discrimination by Hndholder(m): 8:08am On Apr 30, 2013
Nobody seems to see the future. 1.7M Nigerian applied for University Education. FGN can assure us of only 520,000.
1.2m left would never want to go to POLY because of Discriminations. People like us are never jobless because we can use our hand and brain. Up Polites!
Today we thank God for going to poly. With HND I obtained all other certificates
Re: Discrimination by Hndholder(m): 4:16pm On May 02, 2013
Point Blank

The controversy between HND graduates and university graduate was unnecessary. The quality of HND graduates is as good as that of the university graduates, Nigeria was getting it wrong because everybody who passed through OND wants to acquire HND education.
The British Government, scrapped HND education years back, because the purpose was defeated.
In 1977, there was an attempt by the Federal Government of Nigeria to scrap HND. The intention then was to create a pool of technicians and separate the technicians from the engineers. The mistake government made then was to implement it hurriedly, and then to replace HND with a lower certificate called the National Technical Certificate (NTC).
1980-82 witnesses the NND programme which was equally rejected for the same reason.
Students resisted it because they applied for HND programme and not NTCor NND, which was believed to be of lower status about 35 years ago. The government idea then was good but the approach was wrong.
Nigerians need clear court technological engineers that could read manuals, build plans, engineering layouts, as the case may be.
In Nigeria today, the HND system has collapsed because we have a lot of engineers who are job seekers rather than being job creators.
"Government must have seen the mismanagement we are currently into, hence the need for a more redefined educational sector that would address the issue of technology education in the country
what Nigeria needs is skill acquisition and development of human capacity that would drive the economy. The idea to restrict training of technicians to OND level and allow those who want to further to go to the university and graduate with a Bachelor of Technology, is a welcome development.
Government should at this level, encourage the private sector to sponsor private schools that would graduate more technicians than engineers.
Re: Discrimination by Hndholder(m): 11:08am On Jun 07, 2018
Is HND still alive?

(1) (Reply)

Waec Gce 2013/2014 Chemistry Practical Answers / Aluu 4: 2 Years In Mind ... (four Students Brutally Killed In Uniport 2 Yrs Ago) / Meaning Of Gynaecologist By Warri Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.