Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka (15829 Views)

Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND / Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by corperscorner: 3:22pm On Oct 26, 2014
The recent media sprout pertaining to the long lasted discrimination between holders of Bsc and Hnd degrees have successfully passed through to the second reading in the House Of Assembly.

However, the nobel Laurette; Professor Wole Soyinka was invited to Channels TV to share his opinion on the aforesaid issue. And he gave clarification on the matter by saying the Government is the root cause of the discrimination sprouting across all industries.

"Basically, looking at this, one would agree the cut off marks for these institutions are clearly not the same. But who sets these cut off marks? What would it cost the Government to ensure the appropriate bodies charged with the sole responsibility of setting the yardsticks into these institutions; get to review the measures.

These are pertinent things we shy away from. I can tell you I have been across products from both institutions and you should know they both produce quacks and good products. So its a question of individual development to an extent. But as regards the nomenclature of the divide. Most people claim, perhaps if the Government can put in facilities to upgrade the polytechincs, maybe they can measure up. But that is pure rubbish.

When was the last time facilities were installed in universities across the nation? All these rants need to stop, because its like planting a seed of enmity among these two categories of students.

When reliance is totally placed on a government on issues like this, the society fails to move forward. I personally think its high time students across both divides started looking forward to what they can do for themselves as individuals than what some certificate can do for you.

Geniuses are made and not born, but apparently, we have a government that isn't ready to scrutinize the frustrations being caused by the educational sector to these children at the early stage. When I pass Jamb a couple of times but refused admission several times at the university just because I didn't make them both my first choice and second choice, won't I opt for a polytechnic. Or must I keep trying till I wield grey hair? We need to think deep about these things.

The government has really neglected its checks and balances on that. A BSC holder and an Hnd holder should be equal given that they were both able to squarely take-on whatever that was thrown at them during their cause of study."

He was quoted saying these words Live on Channels TV.

Perhaps its time we rethink the whole fracas we are brewing across threads on this topic.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by IrunOBO: 3:33pm On Oct 26, 2014
The most reasonable thing I have seen today.

The professor made valid point.

Before you all come at me. I am BSC holder, yet to get a job though.

But I know God will do his miracle soon enough.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by jobberman247: 3:44pm On Oct 26, 2014
All he said was quite explicit. When I watched this, I was like, why didn't this man come out to say this all these while.

I only see this as a means of brewing enmity amongst the youths.

I have had the best of both worlds and I can tell anyone that what you get in a polytechnic would mould an entreprenueral spirit out of you.

Apparently, most people just want to work and get fat salaries that don't exist anymore.

Its time students. Get productive in their endeavours and stop all this hatred and discrimination.

4 Likes

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by padeolu: 4:26pm On Oct 26, 2014
corperscorner:

"The government has really neglected its checks and balances on that. A BSC holder and an Hnd holder should be equal given that they were both able to squarely take-on whatever that was thrown at them during their cause of study."
...so, even Prof. knows that the two degrees aint equal as things stand.
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by eightsin(m): 4:50pm On Oct 26, 2014
I was here

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by johnwizey: 5:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
Prof couldn't have said it better

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by katiemadubiko: 5:27pm On Oct 26, 2014
padeolu:
...so, even Prof. knows that the two degrees aint equal as things stand.

If anything, he was probably coming from the point that these things should be equal, but unfortunately, the discrimination and lack of adequate government interference isn't making it equal.

Don't just read things, think deeply about every line.

6 Likes

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by corperscorner: 5:36pm On Oct 26, 2014
Whether its a bsc, phd, msc or hnd. I support the notion that what really matters most is individual development.

Without it, there is a limit to what one can attain in life even with an Harvard doctorate.

Education is different from certification. Seun Osewa is a living example.

Nigeria has had thousands of computer science graduates that keep coming out to discriminate their fellow counterpart from the polytechnic, but the question is...to what end. None of them can say they've attained a feet such as Nairaland.

If anyone here has. I dare the person to come out and share the success story or invention.

It goes beyond going to school and getting a certificate. Look deep within yourselves. Apparently, that piece is highly encouraged at polytechnics.

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by katiemadubiko: 6:02pm On Oct 26, 2014
I feel this issue can be properly addressed with ONE VOICE.

Though the outcome of the second reading by the house of assembly is yet to be known, but I don't foresee any positive difference.

I am not a pessimist. As much as I want the discrimination to come to an halt. Listening to David Mark's utterances on the issue over the radio on friday made me feel they just want something to talk about over there so people would say they are working.

The man was stating the difference in curriculum while up there in the words of the Nobel Laurette, it was said that the government has the ability to exercise a power that can make the academic officials make a review of the standards. Its a case of plus and minus if you ask me. Aint that simple enough?

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by amakufrancis(m): 6:05pm On Oct 26, 2014
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by padeolu: 6:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
katiemadubiko:

If anything, he was probably coming from the point that these things should be equal, but unfortunately, the discrimination and lack of adequate government interference isn't making it equal..
Now tell me how this differ from what I said earlier? The buttomline is that they are not equal, abi?

To quote me just dey totori you
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by IrunOBO: 6:16pm On Oct 26, 2014
I strongly believe the reason behind the hesitation to put the checks and balances into play on this issue is as a result of some selfish interests by the people at the top..

Some powerful people might feel like their job or position will get threatened if this unfair and unjustified inequality gets resolved.

Am I the only one thinking this?
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by katiemadubiko: 6:35pm On Oct 26, 2014
padeolu:
Now tell me how this differ from what I said earlier? The buttomline is that they are not equal, abi?

To quote me just dey totori you
Apologies if you feel pained I quoted you.

Your earlier statement wasn't explicit enough to make such deductions that would set it in line with what I said.

You tend to just wanna point out the inappropriate obvious though. Why if I may ask?

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by Coolboyz: 6:44pm On Oct 26, 2014
But wait o.., all these Bsc holders that are being disturbed by the move to stop the bsc/ hnd discrimination, my question is,
What will you guys loose if the issue is resolved?
Owk.. U guys are afraid of competition I guess.
What bell does that ring? Lolz.
And to the nairaland Engineers, tomorrow you guys will start creating silly threads asking why nysc give doctors preferential treatment.
Can u now deduced their reason?
I strongly agree with Prof. Soyinka on this.
Hey, before you start spewing trash, I'm a medical student of the great better by far tongue

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by jobberman247: 6:58pm On Oct 26, 2014
MODS...

Front page pls..
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by Donkaz(m): 7:17pm On Oct 26, 2014
True talk prof
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by corperscorner: 8:12pm On Oct 26, 2014
This thing has been going on for years and here we are, still contemplating the outcome of one ridiculous hearing at the house of assembly.

Whatever they come up with wouldn't alter the future of a determined youth.

Just so you would know. Its time we all face this as ONE.

How would the bsc holders have felt if they had been the ones being discriminated against?

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 26, 2014
The funny thing is that it is those quacks and academic nonplauses from both ends that brews and stirs the supremacy battle. The serious ones, who are all presently engaged in one deal or the other care less.

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by deesquarediddy(m): 9:08pm On Oct 26, 2014
Each time I meet those University graduates who discriminate the HND, I'm always surprised all because I don't know why they feel threatened. What they stand to loose or gain from degrading the HND.

If you examine this whole issue, you will realise its partly due to failure on the part of government as regards their policies and on the other hand misplaced priority on the part of the University system regulators/administrators/graduates.

We all know our University system lack innovations, presently the percentage of implementable research from our Universities is close to zero. The so called scientist and engineers can't design or create new things, an indication that the system is fast failing. The polytechnic on the other hand who produce technical graduate though not well equipped to the optimum level in terms of practicals and equally underfunded still produce more relevant product who are to some extent more technically inclined. We all know the importance of technical education in a growing economy like ours. Discriminate the Polytechnic graduate anyhow you like, they are still the engine room that drives the economy when it comes to technical workforce.

Furthermore, because the so called institution who produces students with universal knowledge, researchers who should discover and invent new product and ideas, engineers who are to design new products is also underfunded and lack innovations/standards, her graduates resulted to blackmailing the polytechnic products who obviously performs better because they perfectly fit into the middle level manpower they are trained for and our present level of development has little opportunities for researchers (not to forget chaep pay the ND/HND accept as against their university counterpart). The University system in Nigeria has since failed in its main purpose and since their products can't function or fit in properly into their role, they are forced to take up roles of the polytechnic graduate who is trained for middle level manpower as they claim hence, the competition... they suddenly discover the technical graduates are better. Today graduate engineer cannot design, they are left with no choice than to hustle technitian position to make ends meet in our little industries and too bad they still want to be the boss with near zero technical knowledge.

why all these epistles? The discrimination is as a result of hatred, envy, lack of innovation/opportunity which has forced university graduates justle for the limited openings and failure on the part of the government. Nigeria is a sinking ship, so many things you'll imagine how its been done. Only reasonable people like Prof. W Soyinka will see the madness.

Here is my analysis, all over the world the minimum number of credit unit to award a degree is 120. Before anyone in Nigeria will graduate with HND, he/she must have accumulated over 150 credit unit. The HND require 5 years before graduation as against 4 years for some B. Sc courses, yet people still blindly say its not equivalent to a degree. World Educational Services (WES) an international credential evaluation body has evaluated lots of HND results and found them equivalent to a US bachelor's degree and today, a lot of HND graduates are undergoing or have graduated from their masters programme in the US...they all gained admission with the Nigerian HND but we all know what is obtainable here... polytechnic graduates even with distinction will still have to enrol for PGD before masters, what happened to our common sense? These same hypocrites who said you can't enrol for an academic masters with your HND will admit HND for professional masters without PGD since its a terminal programme and due to the fact that they don't want the rubbished HND product to have an academic masters and PhD. why the hate?

On a final note, I see the two certificate as two rotten apple. A lot still need to be done on our educational system which lack standard. HND or B.Sc, both products should be given equal opportunity to prove their worth. Our judgement should be based on individual capabilities and not certificate. Scrapping the HND and changing all polytechnic to universities will not help our economy as a developing nation as we are still in serious need of technical education.

Thanks for reading.

5 Likes

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by Ucheosefoh(m): 9:22pm On Oct 26, 2014
One group contributions are missing here the ones that think because they are in university they are more intelligent than polytechnic students
Note: I attend both

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 26, 2014
The government is the root cause of the discrepancy..

1. Why set different score in entrance exams between two.

2. Why different salary scale for the two,whereby Bsc holders are paid more,even in government owned institutions.

3. Why restrict HND holders in applying for certain vacancies,even in government establishment..

So the government can't go home with ant infested wood,and not expect a lizard to visit them..

Time things are done right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by yBNL1(m): 9:48pm On Oct 26, 2014
The discrimination should stop? angry
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by nigerianvenom(m): 9:48pm On Oct 26, 2014
I've witnessed both worlds and sincerely,i see little difference.
To be sincere,most poly are far ahead of unis interms of practical stuff.
Getting theoritical stuff without bin drilled on its implentation is totally rubish.
That is where d poly is ahead of the unis.
But uni tends to have some wise lectures compare to poly.
My experience sha.
But d discrimination should stop
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by tosyne2much(m): 10:16pm On Oct 26, 2014
Our education system is gradually losing its value

Sometimes I ask myself why students from the same national institutions discriminate against one another ? Most times when this kind of controversial topic arises, you will see university students fighting against equality as if they have a lot of things a lose

This thing is simple, just as people have said that discrimination start from the cut off mark and O'level combination subjects.. Then let govt make the cuff of the both Polys and Unis at equilibrum, deploy professors which the polytechnic lacks, proper funding and let them upgrade the salary scale

Govt just have to do something at this point,, should we continue to discriminate one another as a citizen ?

It is not that our so called leaders don't know what to do, they refused to do it by the reason of their selfish interest

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by mrking3(m): 10:17pm On Oct 26, 2014
Front page bound!
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by nwaobitex: 10:29pm On Oct 26, 2014
ok o
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by tolulope855(m): 10:51pm On Oct 26, 2014
gbes
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by qloreal: 10:55pm On Oct 26, 2014
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by medamillion(m): 11:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
I simply don't know why topics like this take "years" to make frontpage instead what you see on frontpage is "picture of miss jegede in bikini".
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by makkosky(m): 11:48pm On Oct 26, 2014
Noted........smiley
either B.Sc or HND, am ok with both but holders of either institution certificate needs to discover who theey are and what they can do... *life doesn't depends so much on those certificate but what you can really offer*

smileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmiley:

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by Isiterere(m): 1:18am On Oct 27, 2014
Still on this issue ?
As if the clueless government is helping matter...

Next Jare

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:31am On Oct 27, 2014
When students begin to take up arms and ammunition against the government, that is when government begin to listen to the students and give them respect and recognition but when students begin to press their demands through biro, pencil, debates and fluent speaking of English Language, wearing of academic gown that is when they won't listen to them, or even notice their prescence or impact in the society.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Covenant Universit Now Among Top 700 Universities - Times Higher / FUTA Students Win National Mathematics Competition, To Represent Nigeria In Bulg / Great Ife Students' Union Press Release On Illegal Closure Of School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.