Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,479 members, 7,819,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Seun, Learn From This Simple Story - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Seun, Learn From This Simple Story (1574 Views)

lol / This Simple Picture Has A Very Strong Message / How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by wesley80(m): 12:17pm On Apr 01, 2012
A favorite story of mine in my primary 4 'Brighter Grammar' went this way as i recall;
An old man and his son set out on a journey across a desert and took a donkey with them on which the Father decided to take the first ride. The first stranger they met took one look at them and shook his head saying 'what a wicked father this is, why ride on a donkey and leave your young son to walk the desert'? The old man embarrassed quickly climbed down and let his son ride while he walked. The next stranger they met too look at them and thot aloud 'what foolishness is this? Why would an old man walk while his young son takes a ride? Jolted, the old man decides to ride on the donkey along with his young son. The next traveller they met looked at Father and son and said 'what heartless fellows these are, why punish a poor beas.t with both your weights? Surely this is the height of mans cruelty'. Dejected, the Man climbed down and orders his son down as well and they continue the journey on foot. The next traveller they met took one look at father and son and said; surely these have got to be the greatest fo0ls in the world! Why are you both walking when you've got a saddled donkey with nothing to carry? Finally back to his senses, the Old man decides to ignore the travellers comments and ride on the donkey for a while and let his son do same whenever he got tired. I think the title of the story was; YOU CANT PLEASE EVERYBODY!
Moral of the story? I'm tired of logging on to NL and having to check the address bar to be sure i'm in the right place cos some folks have got an incurable obsession with particular colours. I'm tired of having to get used to a new NL every other week cos some folks arent content with the previous. You've got eyes and a functional head i believe, so why do you keep 'tweaking' every other week like u originally set out to destroy the site? Of course its great to entertain criticisms but it would be better if u sampled the opinion of a few folks than monitor the thots of an entire forum.
BTW this new template looks too garish on mobile so please TWEAK IT. Erm well . . .

1 Like

Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by ektbear: 12:22pm On Apr 01, 2012
Heh. That is a pretty nice story actually.
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by Nobody: 12:28pm On Apr 01, 2012
The Legend Ebenezer Obey said;

Ko so gbo tele da, ko si iwa te le wu, ko si ona te le mo, te le fi taye lorun oh!

No matter you skills, no matter your behavior,no matter the route you take, Never will you be able to satisfy the peole of this world.

Seun Osawe, when people talk of a change in Nairaland, they need more interactivity and Functionality and not necessarily demand for a masquerade or fashion riot show colours.

1 Like

Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by nduchucks: 12:47pm On Apr 01, 2012
ekt_bear: Heh. That is a pretty nice story actually.

You mean you've never heard this story?

@OP, the new color scheme is the best April Fools joke on NL. You people need to take a chill pill once in a while. I bet you, when the color theme you enjoyed yesterday is restored, you'll appreciate it so much that its criticisms will disappear. I think Seun just used brilliance to handle the small boys wey no sabi how to write a single line of code, but are the quickest to become critics. smiley
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by noiseless: 12:55pm On Apr 01, 2012
Mmh! what a story! and spiced up about one of my favorites, Obe komandaa dadaa!
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by ektbear: 1:03pm On Apr 01, 2012
Nope, never heard of it before the OP posted it.
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by wesley80(m): 1:11pm On Apr 01, 2012
Up NEPA! Now I can log on to NL without fearing someone might think i'm on a por.n site judging by how garish it was! If it was a joke like someone suggested, then it was a damn good one.
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by nduchucks: 1:18pm On Apr 01, 2012
ekt_bear: Nope, never heard of it before the OP posted it.

Do you understand Yoruba at all or were you abroad to Yoruba parents? That story was made popular by Ebenezer Obey in one of his most successful albums. Hope you've heard of Obey commander.
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by ektbear: 1:24pm On Apr 01, 2012
I understand spoken Yoruba fairly well, but my spoken is poor and I can't really read it.

I've heard of Ebenezer Obey...but certainly as a kid I wouldn't have been into music that people of my parent's generation/age like. I mostly listened/watched music I saw on TV or heard on the radio. So I tend to like rap, reggae, rock, reggaeton, some country, stuff like that.
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 01, 2012
^So, but
You post like you grew up in naija(ekiti). I dey tink say u b one crown prince sef.
I m sure you know nothing of the ijapa folktales. Better read up on your local folktales.
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by nduchucks: 1:37pm On Apr 01, 2012
ekt_bear: I understand spoken Yoruba fairly well, but my spoken is poor and I can't really read it.

I've heard of Ebenezer Obey...but certainly as a kid I wouldn't have been into music that people of my parent's generation/age like. I mostly listened/watched music I saw on TV or heard on the radio. So I tend to like rap, reggae, rock, reggaeton, some country, stuff like that.

I understand. There is a lot of culture and history buried in those old songs, since you understand spoken Yoruba, I'd suggest that you listen to some of those artists for the history lessons buried in the songs. If you understand Hausa or Igbo, listen to those old artists as well. It is unfortunate that historical records are not well protected in Nigeria - Nigerian history, taught in our schools contain too many lies and distortions.

BTW, your idea of skins for NL is not bad, why don't you send sample code to the Mods or send them to a web site with such an implementation. My guess is that most people will use the default scheme. Studies have shown than less than 1% of users would select a scheme other than the default. The percentage is lower for sites like NL which are not primarily commercial.
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by ektbear: 2:01pm On Apr 01, 2012
Darui: ^So, but
You post like you grew up in naija(ekiti). I dey tink say u b one crown prince sef.
I m sure you know nothing of the ijapa folktales. Better read up on your local folktales.

Hehe cheesy

Nah, we left when I was a little kid...whatever I say here is based upon having spent less than 20% of my years in Nigeria.

Regarding folktales, definitely. At some point when I have more time to read for pleasure, there are lots of things I'd like to learn about.
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by ektbear: 2:04pm On Apr 01, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I understand. There is a lot of culture and history buried in those old songs, since you understand spoken Yoruba, I'd suggest that you listen to some of those artists for the history lessons buried in the songs. If you understand Hausa or Igbo, listen to those old artists as well. It is unfortunate that historical records are not well protected in Nigeria - Nigerian history, taught in our schools contain too many lies and distortions.

Unfortunately we don't do a good job of recording our stories on paper. Rely too much on song and word of mouth to keep knowledge alive.

Who knows how much will be lost as the primary custodians of our history (folks in their 80s and 90s) pass away?
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by naptu2: 2:38pm On Apr 01, 2012
I read that story in my primary school textbook. Nostalgia.
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by yamakuza: 3:11pm On Apr 01, 2012
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by Nobody: 7:46pm On Apr 01, 2012
@ekt_bear,So, but
I m sure you know nothing of the ijapa folktales. Better read up on your local moonlight tales.
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by tpia5: 8:25pm On Apr 01, 2012
ekt_bear: Nope, never heard of it before the OP posted it.

it's from aesop's fables and has been adapted into various other contexts.
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by tpia5: 8:26pm On Apr 01, 2012

Seun Osawe,

lmao.
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by ektbear: 9:59pm On Apr 01, 2012
tpia@:

it's from aesop's fables and has been adapted into various other contexts.

Interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_miller,_his_son_and_the_donkey
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by yamakuza: 10:13pm On Apr 01, 2012
Interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_miller_his_son_and_the_donkey

seems the donkey was jettisoned in the end?
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by ektbear: 11:09pm On Apr 01, 2012
Yeah, you'd imagine that with any of these old fables, different versions would appear.

Now, what I wonder is if this Nigerian version of the tale was around before colonization, or if it only came afterwards with the British?
Re: Seun, Learn From This Simple Story by yamakuza: 11:28pm On Apr 01, 2012
^ Obey's version u mean? He must have read/heard it somewhere.

Definitely after the British!

(1) (Reply)

hhjjjjj / GOMBE 100% Confirmed! / There Are 4 Types Of Introverts: Which One Are YOU?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.