Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency (6987 Views)

Confusion In Benue APC As Party Elders Ask Daniel Onjeh To Step Down For Mike On / APC Crisis: Northern Leaders Move To Cut Tinubu To Size / Tinubu To Sue AIT For Airing ‘Defamatory Documentary’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by Beaf: 3:10am On Apr 02, 2012
[size=14pt]Lagos ACN elders ask Tinubu to aspire to Presidency[/size]
By Emmanuel Oladesu Deputy Political Editor

[img]http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/thumbnail.php?file=Tinubu_NEW.jpeg_834061638.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]
Former Governor Bola Tinubu Former Governor Bola Tinubu

Lagos State Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) yesterday asked former Governor Bola Tinubu to consider running for the Presidency.

The elders, Oba Olatunji Hamzat, Prince Tajudeen Olusi and Otunba Busura Alebiosu, spoke at a luncheon in honour of the party’s national leader held at the Golden Gate Restaurant, Ikoyi. It was organised by the “Elders of Lagos ACN” to mark the 60th birthday of Tinubu, who used the opportunity to reflect on his political ascendancy, right from the Third Republic.

Accompanied by his wife, Senator Oluremi, and associates who came from abroad for the ceremony, the ACN leader cut his birthday cake, amid applause by dignitaries.

Oba Hamzat said: “This man has played local politics enough. Now, we want him to play national politics. Awo worked to become the President, but when he died, he became the best President Nigeria never had. We want him to become the President of Nigeria. Look at the problems we are having now. In Ghana, electricity is regular, but light had gone off thrice now where we are. he can fix those problems”.

Thanking the elders and leaders for their support for him since he vied for the Lagos West senatorial seat, he also applauded them for not jumping the ship at critical moments in the lives of their political caucus groups.

Tinubu said: “This is my happiest moment. I wanted to travel to Ghana, but this is the most important meeting. Credit yourself, this is what you have made of me. You elders, through God Almighty, made it possible. I was just a financier of a rebellious group. I took after Alhaji Hamzat, Prince Olusi and Otunba Alebiosu’s rebellious attitude.

“We quarrel, we argue, we disagree, but we have never engaged in anti-party activities. We never betrayed ourselves and we have never failed. Thank you for making a good politician out of me”.

The event was witnessed by Lagos State Deputy Governor Mrs. Tawakaliku Orelope-Adefulire, her predecessors, Princess Sarah Sosah and Prince Abiodun Ogunleye, Aremo Olusegun Osoba, Sir Pius Akinyelure, Asiwaju Olorunfunmi Basorun, Alhaji Akanni Seriki-Bamu, Pa Abiodun Sunmola, Cardinal James Odunmbaku, Senator Olorunnimbe Mamora, Senator Tony Adefuye, Alhaji Mutiu Aare, his wife, Alhaja Rashida, Chief Rabiu Oluwa, Mrs. Toun Ajomale, Dr. Shamsedeen Amuwo, Dr. Kayode Sonaike, Dr. Tunji Alausa, and Dr. Jide Salako.

Oba Hamzat recalled that he had perceived Tinubu as a man of the future 25 years ago, when he donated generously to the party’s purse for the oiling of its electoral machinery.

oBA Hamzat added: “At that time, we did not know that he was behind our group, donating generously. That was during Sarumi/Agbalajobi saga. I did not know the money was coming from him. Later, it was revealed when he agreed to go for the senate.

“Odu Olukosi was a contestant. He said he knew Tinubu would win, but that he would disturb us by invoking the rain. He waved his handkerchief and there was rain. But the delegates did not disperse. He won the primaries and general election . That was when I dreamt that he would shake the polity.”

Oba Hamzat said, although Tinubu wanted to become the Senate President, party elders prevailed on him to step down for Dr. Iyocha Ayu, adding that when he was forced into exile by the military, he did not financially abandon the group that threw him up as a promising politician.

Reiterating the backing of the elders for Tinubu’s future political endeavours, he added: “As long as we see you in front, when there is a political war, if you look back, you will see us”.

Olusi, who described himself as one of the leaders who discovered Tinubu, noted that he has not disappointed them as a politician. He recalled that he had told the political group that Tinubu would be governor since the Third Republic, adding that his traits have thrown him up for leadership.

Olusi said: “I want you to continue to be a foremost Nigerian. I don’t want you to confine yourself to Yorubaland. We want you to be a national leader.

Alebiosu congratulated the celebrator, saying: “I wish you the best of luck. I want you to become the future President of Nigeria”.

Mrs. Orelope-Adefulire, who described Tinubu as a father, mentor, motivator, counsellor and teacher, said the ACN national leader is endowed with a rare courage. She added: “He is a special being. Tinubu has developed a lot of people. He is courageous. He created the Ministry of Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation and brought women into politics, parliament and executive council. He is a gender-friendly leader”.

Sosan said Tinubu is a kind man who had impacted on lives and groomed women for responsible positions in public life.

Basorun said: “I was not in his party when he selected me, through a letter signed by his Chief of Staff, Babatunde Fashola, as a delegate to the Abuja Political Conference. I had to leave PDP when dogs started eating dogs. I urge you to remain prayerful and humble and God will give you your heart’s desire”.

Sunmola extolled Tinubu’s qualities, praying to God to give him the wisdom to always triumph.

Mamora said: “Asiwaju cannot be over-celebrated. We are celebrating a celebrity in his own right.”

Osoba thanked the elders for standing firmly behind Tinubu, saying that he has erected lasting legacies. He added: “He has created succession in the state and across the ministries. He is a man of resolute mind who has the tenacity of purpose to pursue political goals.”

Tinubu spoke on how he joined the fray in the Third Republic, saying that, although he was initially in the shadows, he shared the beautiful goal of harnessing the resources of Lagos State for its development.

He said his first intra-party battle was to object to the attitude of denying brilliant people party offices in favour of carpenters and vulcanisers, adding that he later learnt compromise and flexibility from Pa Hamzat when he later got to the senate.

Tinubu recalled: “I won the nomination resoundingly. It was not because of my brilliance. I was only blessed in terms of strategic thinking. Today, Lagos is the glory of Nigeria.

“During the MKO Abiola battle, you were consistent and you stood like the Rock of Gibraltar. At a meeting presided over by Alhaji Alebiosu, you asked me to run for governorship. I said I would think about it and you postponed the screening until I came back two weeks after.

“Those in control of the party wanted to use delegates. At Ijebu-Igbo, we changed the beat from delegates to direct primaries because we said every Lagosian should have hand in the emergence of the governorship candidate. I thank you all for making a good politician out of me.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/41759-lagos-acn-elders-ask-tinubu-to-aspire-to-presidency.html
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by Beaf: 3:10am On Apr 02, 2012
Lol!
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by BlackPikiN(m): 3:16am On Apr 02, 2012
^^^I follow you laff jare.
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by Nobody: 3:27am On Apr 02, 2012
What are these so called elders smoking?

Presidency ko precimental ni.

It must be the N1m cake dem chop belle full.

1 Like

Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by PointB: 6:45am On Apr 02, 2012
I hope he listens to 'elders' advice. Tinubu for president? What world have we awaken to?
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by Beaf: 7:43am On Apr 02, 2012
PointB: I hope he listens to 'elders' advice. Tinubu for president? What world have we awaken to?

Its like April fool extended. grin
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by phantom(m): 7:51am On Apr 02, 2012
God forbid.let him limit his dictatorship to the south west.
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by gregg2: 9:26am On Apr 02, 2012
Tinubu will fail woefully.

Sorry, but some peeps in ACN actually think
that South West is Nigeria. So unfortunate.

1 Like

Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by kwaghe: 9:33am On Apr 02, 2012
Am sure he will make a better president than Goodluck, he is not as bad as you people are making him look.Am sure he will make a better president than Goodluck, he is not as bad as you people are making him look.Am sure he will make a better president than Goodluck, he is not as bad as you people are making him look.
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by brainpulse: 9:52am On Apr 02, 2012
He wouldn't win in his sitting room. Infact he's case will be worst than Gani Faweh election
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by brainpulse: 9:53am On Apr 02, 2012
kwaghe: Am sure he will make a better president than Goodluck, he is not as bad as you people are making him look.Am sure he will make a better president than Goodluck, he is not as bad as you people are making him look.Am sure he will make a better president than Goodluck, he is not as bad as you people are making him look.
Do you have a repeatative disorder?

4 Likes

Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by jspac(m): 10:03am On Apr 02, 2012
He wants to replenish his purse.
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by Skii(m): 10:05am On Apr 02, 2012
brainpulse:
Do you have a repeatative disorder?

Its the "NU" Nairaland!!
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by kombats: 10:08am On Apr 02, 2012
tinubu on al ong thing
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by tayoTFC(m): 10:18am On Apr 02, 2012
ASIWAJU WILL 100% BETTER THAN GEJ IF ELECTED.....for 14yrs what did PDP offer Nigerian?
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by ocelot2006(m): 10:30am On Apr 02, 2012
God forbid.
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by MrGlobe(m): 10:41am On Apr 02, 2012
LoL...... Tunubu can only become president in south west republic. Wait a minute is April Fool still on?
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by Dawdy(m): 10:42am On Apr 02, 2012
Tinubu is not that bad, but I would prefer better person.
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by Ejine(m): 11:11am On Apr 02, 2012
Sycophants around the globe are known to shower their masters with heavenly compliments just for the sake of a cut from whatever misadventure he chooses to dabble in. It's nothing new.

Sam Egwu was asked to run for the presidency in 2007
Achike Udenwa even wanted to run for presidency in 2007
Peter Odili was angling for presidency in 2007
Donald Duke was angling for presidency in 2007
Bafarawa wanted to try his hand in Aso Rock affairs in 2007 (as well as 2011)
My wealthy godfather (I'm Catholic), at a point in time, was having his ego massaged by sycophants and fake friends, who were only looking to make a killing from his campaign spending if he ran for Delta governorship in 2003
Ahamba also had sycophants sucking up to him in 2003, asking him to run for governorship in Imo.

And all these people have one thing in common: Deceitful Sycophants

So, this one's nothing new here. Dem just wan chop Tinubu money small cool

1 Like

Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by gregg2: 11:21am On Apr 02, 2012
tayoTFC: ASIWAJU WILL 100% BETTER THAN GEJ IF ELECTED.....for 14yrs what did PDP offer Nigerian?
What were his achievements as
governor of Lagos State for 8yrs.
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 02, 2012
gregg2:
What were his achievements as
governor of Lagos State for 8yrs.

I beg tell am ooo, fact, Marwa was better than tinubu.
if not for Fashola, what the fc.uk is ACN. lol
Me see no elder in that article.
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by Connoisseur(m): 11:45am On Apr 02, 2012
He s better off as the godfather of western politics.
Supporting a strong candidate should be his priority
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by waleniyi20: 11:57am On Apr 02, 2012
sha study 4 ukraine .... waleniyi20@yahoo.com kiss
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by 4chi: 12:10pm On Apr 02, 2012
He no go beta for all the so called 'were' elders. Bob Chicago in aso rock? That will be the day! This guy lost his local government in the last LG elections. Without fashola in the last election ACN is nothing.this fool does not or cannot comprehend how hated he is even in the south west. I pray he is goaded into contesting for the presidency so can at least burn all his ill-gotten wealth and possibly kaput in the process. Omo ale jati jati.....

1 Like

Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by Kusbaby(f): 12:18pm On Apr 02, 2012
brainpulse: He wouldn't win in his sitting room. Infact he's case will be worst than Gani Faweh election
gbam!
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by maclatunji: 12:27pm On Apr 02, 2012
The fact that it was Beaf who created this thread shows something- He is not comfortable with Tinubu running for Presidency. Tinubu might be a lot of things but you know that he is tactically and strategically astute. Your principal GEJ is so ineffective as President that I can go for days without reading political news and nothing tangible would have happened when I listen to the news review.

Beaf, spare us the propaganda, your product is not worth a test-run talk less of actual purchase.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by nduchucks: 12:33pm On Apr 02, 2012
Tinubu may win an election in O'odua republic, unfortunately for him that republic does not exist. If the Southwest wants to rule, they must come up with a better candidate than Tinubu. Who will vote for him in large numbers in the SS, SE. NW, NE? This call by the so-called elders is nothing but a birthday ego massaging.

Yoruba elders have become praise singers who have their hands out for Tinubu's crumbs. SMH

Fashola needs to break away from Tinubu and offer himself for service along with a well respected Northerner or someone from the SE or even SS. Fashola is young enough to serve as VP and then follow that up as President.

For the sake of peace, power needs to return to the North under the unwritten agreements. If you doubt that such an agreement exists, ask yourself why ACN could not find a southerner to be its flag bearer during the last election.

We have seen enough violence triggered for the most part, by violation of this unwritten rule. The South would have had 6 years in addition to OBJ's 8. Lets do the right thing for the sake of peace.

I'm counting on the courts to take the first step of ruling that GEJ cannot contest in 2015, or if he can contest, must leave office after a total of 8 years. If the court rules that GEJ has 2 more years, why would GEJ put the country through the discomfort of another election in 2017?

1 Like

Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:44pm On Apr 02, 2012
This primate is a looming disgrace to the Oduduwa Nation. unfortunately even the greatest citizen of Oduduwa is blissfully ignorant of the FACT that this unfortunate parasitical phenomenon is neither a Child of Oduduwa nor a bastard of any known origin. All the same Oduduwa reveres him, honors him and bend-down so he can climb their backs to greater heights. The baboon is nothing but a sophisticated 1-eyed pick-pocket.
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by oradee: 12:46pm On Apr 02, 2012
tayoTFC: ASIWAJU WILL 100% BETTER THAN GEJ IF ELECTED.....for 14yrs what did PDP offer Nigerian?

Asiwaju ruled for 8 years, Gej is just ruling for...? (get ur comparison right)
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by aljharem(m): 12:59pm On Apr 02, 2012
LOL grin grin grin grin grin

Even if odua nation forms today as we speak Tinubu would never ever be the president. This man is funny to say the very least
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by tayoTFC(m): 1:06pm On Apr 02, 2012
Asiwaju ....started the BRT,LASTMA,LAWMA,PSP,KIA free education,health service etc and creat jobs for thousand of people.....how many jobs PDP/FG create..?
Re: Lagos ACN Elders Ask Tinubu To Consider Running For Presidency by aljharem(m): 1:08pm On Apr 02, 2012
tayoTFC: Asiwaju ....started the BRT,LASTMA,LAWMA,PSP,KIA free education,health service etc and creat jobs for thousand of people.....how many jobs PDP/FG create..?

Please when did he start the free education and health service. Which year and what are the names of the schools and hospitals.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN : The New Naira Notes (pics) / Nigeria's big boys - Pic / Breaking News;m-a-s-s-a-c-r-e-! Fulani Herdsmen, Boko Haram Kill 39 •13 Villages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.